3 Pistes Cycle - 31st May 2015

Comments

• 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Alan A wrote:
    Did you click on the big button that said enter the club discount or did you just enter sportive only?

I wasn't given any instructions on how to enter the code or to click a certain button when you supplied me with the 'password', one word emails are not the way forward when replying to an enquiry.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    47p2 wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    Did you click on the big button that said enter the club discount or did you just enter sportive only?

I wasn't given any instructions on how to enter the code or to click a certain button when you supplied me with the 'password', one word emails are not the way forward when replying to an enquiry.

Point taken. Sorry, I got a lot of emails / PMs whilst driving from Luton to Glasgow so I was replying as quick as possible whilst at services. Please PM me your real details and I will try to sort something out for you.
  • 47p2
    PM sent
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    Entered with a few others from Aberdeen area.

Booked the bus to the start in the morning.

Got etape Loch Ness booked 4 weeks before and will do Alford KoTM 2 weeks before.

If I reach my weight target by 1st May, I'll be doing it on a spanking new piece of Carbon....wish me luck!!!!
  • alan_a
    Well is has been a busy 3 weeks. Over 300 people have now entered the 3 Pistes, many of you from here who took advantage of the discounted rates. Thank you for all you support. Have a cracking Christmas.
  • alan_a
    Lovely piece in Saturday's Daily Record about 3 Pistes Cyclist Debbie Ley.

http://3pistescycle.wordpress.com/2014/01/04/chemo-cyclist-aiming-to-conquer-3-pistes-cycle/

The event is filling up fast. Thank you everyone for your support.
  • alan_a
    We have hit the 500 entrants mark. Yippppeeeee

There are roughly 30 places left for coach transfer from Aviemore to the start and roughly 100 places left for coach transfer from finish back to Pitlochry.

Also, here's a nice wee article in the Glasgow Herald.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/life-style/outdoorsleisure/3-pistes-cycle-sportive.1390017606?_=546a33757ad6bf739cbc707f057594215c590fbd
  • alan_a
    http://3pistescycle.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/3-pistes-cycle-is-now-sold-out/
    3 Pistes Cycle is now SOLD OUT

There has been a mad rush for places on the 3 Pistes Cycle over the past couple of days. The event is now SOLD OUT.

Whilst we still have the option to continue accepting Entry Only applications, after careful consideration we have decided to halt all entries whilst we try to secure extra coaches and vans for post event transfers from Cairngorm to Pitlochry. That way, those who really want to purchase coach transfer do not get the added hassle of having to change their entry status.

If we cannot secure additional coaches and vans we will probably continue with a limited number of Entry Only places.

Please check back here on Thursday 30th January for more information on what type of entries and how many entries will be made available, as well as when they will go live on sale.

Thank you for your support.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I've been watching the development of your sportive since you first aired your thoughts on here.

Congratulations! I am very impressed with what you seem to have created!

I am sure it is going to be a superb event.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • alan_a
    We have added an extra 250 places to the already sold out 3 Pistes Cycle Sportive.

Entries re-open on Saturday 1 Feb at 7am via British Cycling website.

Awrabest.
  • ajkerr73
    Alan A wrote:
    We have added an extra 250 places to the already sold out 3 Pistes Cycle Sportive.

Entries re-open on Saturday 1 Feb at 7am via British Cycling website.

Awrabest.

Good news!

Have you decided what group sizes your are starting and is there any order of starting for timing??
  • alan_a
    Start order will be first come on the day first served.

Groups sizes still to be finalised closer to the time, but probably groups of 20-30 every 2-3 mins.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Well I've finally got the date cleared and signed up...

...but I haven't been out on the road for a long while - just have to get the Rusty Raleigh back together (currently sitting in the garage half dismantled), get out there and get fit. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and start working on the new 45 mile (and that's each way) commute...
  • alan_a
    100 days to go until the inaugural 3 Pistes Cycle.

99 more sleeps.
  • Alan A wrote:
    Start order will be first come on the day first served.

Groups sizes still to be finalised closer to the time, but probably groups of 20-30 every 2-3 mins.

IME at most sportives they go off how many cyclists will fit into a certain queuing area, rather than counting them, which is a bit easier.
  • alan_a
    Quick question...

I recently did a sportive in Australia. The signage was far from adequate and I missed the turn twice.

Which sportives have the best signage and what do you expect?
  • alan_a
    Did the route over the weekend on the way to and from working at Speyside Whisky Festival and Etape Loch Ness.
    Split route in two... Glad I am not doing it in one day ;-)

Tarmac is holding up well, with the notable exception of A924 & B976. The descent of B976 in particular should be taken with extreme care, particularly at the off camber right hander half way down. We will sign post and marshal it accordingly.

Only 4 weeks to go.

Excited I am.

2014-05-01-12-45-44.jpg

Cairnwell climb. Look closely for Devil's Elbow.

2014-05-01-14-39-46.jpg

From B@stard 1 north to The Lecht. Look closely just right of centre for sweeping right hand bend after the C0ck Bridge 20%.

2014-05-01-14-49-07.jpg

The cafe at Corgarff just before The Lecht climb.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,018
    Don't enter events that start too early in the morning. You might not have the time for a dump... there is nothing worse than riding on full guts

Imagine running a 10 k needing the same. Not good, not good at all!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Get up a bit earlier and have a double espresso?
  • ajkerr73
    "Warming up" for this at Alford next Saturday, which will be my first century...hopefully this will be my second!!
  • bompington
    Well, that was a good warm-up today - my final* proper training ride: parked at the foot of the final Glenshee climb, rode over it & up to the Lecht - then turned round and did it all again in reverse (the views are better heading south btw, Lochnagar quite spectacular).

Things that struck me:
    - Glenshee is a far easier climb than the Lecht
    - Every long ride has at least one "lull you into a false sense of easiness" bit. The bit from Braemar to Crathie was certainly that for me - it's ever so slightly downhill overall, with not much up-and-down in between, and it comes after the steady swoop down from Glenshee to Braemar. When you turn up the hill from Crathie (pretty sharp turn and uphill a bit, sharper but not as steep as the infamous Logierait turn on the Etape C) you remember what this route is about, but it's not that big a hill - watch out for the poor road surface as you start to pick up speed on the twisty descent to Gairnshiel though. Apart from that the road is mostly at least OK and really nice on some stretches.
    - Hidden pain: don't overlook the hill after Gairnshiel - over 200m of altitude gain, softens you up nicely for the biggie...
    - The Lecht is a far harder climb than Glenshee. From the moment it rears up in front of you at Cockbridge it is a full on struggle (39X25 since you ask, and I would have happily paid money to anyone offering a 28) pretty much all the way to the top - except for the wee dip after the first hill, a respite that just means you have to climb further up the next one. The first ramp looked and felt the hardest to me, going from steep to steeper, but I did notice that I went faster coming back down some of the other pitches further up - I don't think they were steeper, just longer and less bendy. Didn't quite break 60, we'll see how the descent off the west of the Lecht goes next week.
    - this route finishes at an altitude 500 metres higher than it starts. Do not expect to do your normal average speed.

Not too much traffic but rarely that long in between cars, a few donors but not too many and at least you could hear them coming. Quite a few cyclists out, I normally get overtaken only very infrequently (the only thing rarer is me overtaking someone else :oops: ) but several passed me today, and lots going the other way. Large numbers of tourers with massive panniers: respect.
    Weather was pretty good and the forecast seems to suggest much the same next week. The forecast suggested quite chilly and sure enough it was about 6° at the top of Glenshee, but it was actually 20 in the sun by Gairnshiel - I opted for shell jacket and was pretty chilly descending Glenshee, but stewed climbing later in the day.

Great roads, stunning scenery. Overall encouraged that despite my poor fitness I can do this - obviously I cut out a lot of the ascent from Pilochry to Glenshee, not to mention the final climb up Cairngorm, but once you've climbed the Lecht there's very little climbing apart from that (whereas I had to go back over Glenshee, and every hill in between) so I'm more confident now than I was when I set off this morning.

It's going to be a cracker. Can't wait.

*second. I really, really did mean to get properly fit for this one but pretty much everything in the known universe has been conspiring to keep me off my bike :-(
  • 47p2
    I've had to postpone until next year as I'm currently nursing a T4 fracture in my back. Gutted as I've trained hard throughout the winter to make sure I was fit enough and now all I can do is dit here and think about what I'm going to miss.

Hope it goes well and everyone has a great day
  • alan_a
    47p2 wrote:
    I've had to postpone until next year as I'm currently nursing a T4 fracture in my back. Gutted as I've trained hard throughout the winter to make sure I was fit enough and now all I can do is dit here and think about what I'm going to miss.

Hope it goes well and everyone has a great day

Gutted for you.
  • Focus-rider
    Focus-rider Posts: 126
    sorry to hear that alan, looks like its shaping up to be a cracker swell. Has anyone got a completion time in mind or are you taking it easy? This is my first 100 mile sportive, can do an 80 mile solo run at around 19mph average but think this is out the window considering the climbing thats needed.
  • ajkerr73
    sorry to hear that alan, looks like its shaping up to be a cracker swell. Has anyone got a completion time in mind or are you taking it easy? This is my first 100 mile sportive, can do an 80 mile solo run at around 19mph average but think this is out the window considering the climbing thats needed.

Have a look at the 100mile results from the Alford Sportive here

http://www.deeside.org/knockies/Result% ... 202014.pdf

Mileage and terrain pretty similar

Bear in mind the sub 5hour time was a group of about 8 to 10 with a support car (or at least it seemed like 8 to 10 of them when they passed us) !!!!!!!
  • bompington
    If only all customer service was this refreshingly direct:
    http://3pistescycle.wordpress.com/2014/05/28/read-your-emails-properly-please/

Now could you just remind me again Alan, what date is it? When is the start time? Will you push me up the Lecht? Do I have to wear a helmet?
  • alan_a
    ^^^ ;-)

Looking after a 4 year old and a 10 month old was less hard work than the amount of silly questions I was getting yesterday.

It's amazing how cathartic a wee cheeky post and a good dram can be.
  • alan_a
    Just checked the website stats... It was the most viewed 3 Pistes web page ever and also most viewed 3 Pistes facebook post. Looks like it worked ;-)

he he.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Have fun tomorrow you bunch of nutters :D
  • 47p2
    Forecast looking good and a light southwesterly breeze.

Damn I'm so wanting to do this