3 Pistes Cycle - 31st May 2015

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,586
    NapD - If you come on 1/6/14 and ride the full 167 mile circumnavigation* from Pitlochry - Glenshee - Lecht - Cairngorm - Pitlochry in the 1 day whilst everyone else is doing the 102 mile I'll pay for your hotel, dinner, whisky and massage.

* or better still Cairngorm - Pitlochry - Glenshee - Lecht - Cairngorm
    I think it would work better if the bus transfer was at the *start* rather than at the end.

That option is available to riders as stated earlier in the thread and on website.

Get bus from Aviemore to Pitlochry for the start.

or

Get bus from Cairngorm to Pitlochry at the end.

We will also take your kit bag from Pitlochry to Cairngorm for you.
  • alan_a
    Here's one of the GTC team's Strava of the route with an additional wee bit at the end to get back to our hotel.

http://www.strava.com/activities/4772977#
  • I'm probably going to head North of the Border for the Etape Caledonia this year so it might be hard to justify another trip, but the route looks fabulous. I can see why the one way route may put some off but the logistics are handled properly I don't see it as a problem. A one way route makes you feel as if you're going somewhere.

Good luck with the event I hope it goes well.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Alan A wrote:
    NapD - If you come on 1/6/14 and ride the full 167 mile circumnavigation* from Pitlochry - Glenshee - Lecht - Cairngorm - Pitlochry in the 1 day whilst everyone else is doing the 102 mile I'll pay for your hotel, dinner, whisky and massage.

Is that a napd only offer? :wink:

Some fabulous roads there. Glenshee I remember well from Mille Alba a couple of years ago - the descent was rather good fun.

Looks good, as long as the bus transfer is well organised, shouldn't be a big deal.
  • alan_a
    marcusjb wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

Is that a napd only offer? :wink:

YES

----

What do you expect from sportive "goody bags" ?

Obviously you need map, numbers (helmet, bike, person), timing chip.

Do you want / need / expect:

Medal
    T shirt
    bidon
    energy gels
    sports powder sachets
    leaflets etc from sponsors

any other old tat?
  • Medal - Yes, why not, nice to have a momento.
    T shirt - No.
    bidon - No. I have 4 already and only two spaces on my bike to put them.
    energy gels. Yes; one before the events and some on the way around.
    sports powder sachets. Not really
    leaflets etc from sponsors. I don't particularly want them but if it helps fund the event, then cool.
  • alan_a
  • I can't see a price anywhere.
  • alan_a
    Still finalising the budget. Aiming for sub £30 entry and £15 for coach.
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    Looks a good route to me and one I'd be keen to have a go at.

One of my bug bears with Etape Caley is the need to register the day before, although I get that it is administratively easier on the day and helps bring in more tourist bucks to the area. With Pitlochry just over an hour from the central belt it's quite possible to do it on the day, which fits better with my family commitments.

What's your thoughts for your event?
  • alan_a
    If you want an early start time (6.30-7.30am) you can register the afternoon before in a Pitlochry pub.

If you are getting the coach from Aviemore you can register on board the coach which will arrive in Pitlochry for 7.45am

If you don't mind starting a little later (8am - 8.45am) you can register on the morning of the event.

Registration will close at 8.15am

Broom wagon will get to Cairngorm for 4.45pm
  • htsw5
    Sounds good to me. I'd happily take a later start over a double trip.
  • alan_a
    Full details of route, feed stations, cut off times and coach transfer times have now been added to http://3pistescycle.wordpress.com/route/

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/3pistescycle

or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/3Pistescycle
  • alan_a
    Entry details and prices are now available at http://3pistescycle.wordpress.com/entry/
  • alan_a
    3 Pistes Cycle Sportive is now on British Cycling website. https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... ve#summary
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Good luck! Having thought more and more about it, I like the look of this event, and its a competitive price too, seeing as it includes the transfer.

I might do it, main obstacle is it being a Sunday and a good 4hr drive from home... Lets see if its possible to get the Monday off... Good luck!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • alan_a
    Before you ask… 500. 150 coach to start. 150 coach from finish and 200 entry only.
  • htsw5
    Alan,

Can I just check the number / size of buses that you have?

I think the concern of many is the added hassle of waiting for a bus to get back to our cars.

If it is 'only' 150 and 3 * 50 seater buses, it could be a long wait if it has to be full. If it is more like 7or8 * 20 seaters, then that could work. PfS have the benefit of a high volume reducing waiting time.

Any thoughts on the event taking a kit bag from Pitlochry to Aviemore so that we had some dry clothes etc for the journey South?

Thanks
  • alan_a
    htsw5 wrote:
    Alan,

Can I just check the number / size of buses that you have?

I think the concern of many is the added hassle of waiting for a bus to get back to our cars.

If it is 'only' 150 and 3 * 50 seater buses, it could be a long wait if it has to be full. If it is more like 7or8 * 20 seaters, then that could work. PfS have the benefit of a high volume reducing waiting time.

Any thoughts on the event taking a kit bag from Pitlochry to Aviemore so that we had some dry clothes etc for the journey South?

Thanks

Vans will take your kit bag from Pitlochry to CairnGorm.

I currently have 4 x 50 seater coaches and 4 x mini buses (earlier ones being used as broom wagon / marshall drop off / pick up) booked for the CairnGorm - Pitlochry return. Plus a fleet of vans/trucks tbc once we know numbers. The early departing ones have the capability of coming back for later pick ups.

These were booked last week before we went public, however looking at the amount of traffic the website is getting and the twitter / Facebook / forum chat I think it is more than likely that we will have to get extra coaches.

Like you I do not want people to be standing about on Cairngorm bored and cold. Ideally we'd be having an almost full coach leave every 15-20 mins.
  • alan_a
    One other thing that might ease your worries. We've price it so that buses can depart when 50-60% full so that you're not hanging about waiting for every last seat on the bus to be full. Plus we'll give you hat beverages and some grub on the bus. Nothing worse than being starving on Drumochter pass and not able to get some grub.
  • alan_a
    I promised you lot discounted entry. The following discounts have been set up for Bike Radar Forum members. limited to 30 places.

Entry only - £23.00
    Entry plus coach to start - £41.50
    Entry plus coach from finish - £41.50

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/103261/3-Pistes-Cycle-Sportive#entry

Please PM me for discount codes
  • Not wanting to upset you or anything, as I reckon you've got a cracking event organised.
    But your claim of being the highest sportive has been trumped. http://sportinaction.co.uk/great-dun-fe ... -sportive/ Yours has a higher average elevation of course, so its still a valid claim. The GDF leaves all the climbing to the last 5 miles, and its a fair bit shorter but not a huge amount less climbing overall. Another end-to-end, but with this one the end is only a few miles from the start, and all downhill. I may end up walking (or crawling). :-o
    If we hadn't already booked our summer holiday for next year, I'd be pushing for a stay near Aviemore for this. :mrgreen:

Good luck! There's plenty of room for a few high-climbing sportives.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Alan A wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    ….A to B routes just create a major logistical nightmare for all concerned.

Avoid Box Hill, everyone is going up the damn thing and the locals are revolting….

I think I have a 50% hit rate with you ;-)

t4tomo wrote:
    Be interested to see how your grand claim
    I have an amazing route that is not covered by any other sportives. It is a route that I believe will become a mainstay of the UK scene.
    plays out.

What do you think. Is my claim justified?

Well fair play to you, it does look like a cracking route thru some lovely countryside. Can also see hat it's hard to avoid the bus thing if you are going thru there, without resorting to such a long ride the pleasure aspect gets replaced by an endurance slog.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • alan_a
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Not wanting to upset you or anything, as I reckon you've got a cracking event organised.
    But your claim of being the highest sportive has been trumped. http://sportinaction.co.uk/great-dun-fe ... -sportive/ Yours has a higher average elevation of course, so its still a valid claim. The GDF leaves all the climbing to the last 5 miles, and its a fair bit shorter but not a huge amount less climbing overall. Another end-to-end, but with this one the end is only a few miles from the start, and all downhill. I may end up walking (or crawling). :-o
    If we hadn't already booked our summer holiday for next year, I'd be pushing for a stay near Aviemore for this. :mrgreen:

Good luck! There's plenty of room for a few high-climbing sportives.

Hi, We were very much aware of GDF when we decided to use the tag Uk's Highest Sportive. But as you say, 3 Pistes Cycle is a much much higher average elevation, great overall ascent and many more climbs.

I'm working at Spirit of Speyside whisky fest every May bank holiday otherwise I would ride GDFS.

Awrabest.

p.s.Entries open Midnight Saturday onto Sunday
  • Well just signed myself and a mate up for this, really not sure if i know what im letting myself in for as its my first full century. Got the etape as a nice warm up event a few weeks before to. Cant flippin wait as this really does look superb.
  • alan_a
    Well just signed myself and a mate up for this, really not sure if i know what im letting myself in for as its my first full century. Got the etape as a nice warm up event a few weeks before to. Cant flippin wait as this really does look superb.

Good work. Get those winter miles in.

It appears many of people are struggling to submit their entries on the BC website.

For some people BC website does not like the 3Pistescycle.co.uk cookies from our click thru. If you simply click the weblink your entry might not be finalised if the address bar still says 3pistescycle.co.uk

If you are having problems (as many have emailed to say) please copy and paste the following directly into your address bar.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... e-Sportive

Hope that makes sense and apologies for the inconvenience.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Well I signed up and the discount code was not taken off, had to pay the full amount so expect a rebate on the day :roll:
  • alan_a
    47p2 wrote:
    Well I signed up and the discount code was not taken off, had to pay the full amount so expect a rebate on the day :roll:

Did you click on the big button that said enter the club discount or did you just enter sportive only?
  • htsw5
    47p2 wrote:

You weren't the only one making that mistake...

My excuse was it was past midnight last night and I wasn't thinking straight. You live & learn...