TPMs ashes thread

13»

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I got into the habit of bounding out of bed to check out what was happening overnight ... Muttering under my breath and going back to bed.

The ODI series was pretty good. Much more keenly contested and we really should have won it 3-2

Am quite hopeful of the T20s. We have some good players coming in like Lumb and Hales who have all been over there in the big bash and playing well

Am enjoying the India v NZ series. The last tied match was amazing
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Oh I stuck with it to the end, putting the radio on at silly AM time to discover we were getting spanked yet again. The powers that be have promised an investigation but at the same time alluded to the fact Flower and Cook are safe in their positions...so why waste your time investigating if you aren't going to make changes!

2005 resulted in a bus tour and cheers, this time they should be made to have another bus tour and face the jeers. Ian Bell described the first innings total of 155 in the 5th test as 'a bit disappointing.' when interviewed at the end of that day's play. Great understatement there and seemingly symptomatic of the attitude in the camp :roll:
  • Mikey23
    KP gets the bullet... Hurrah!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Bold decision which could have been made after the SA saga.

My worry would be that modern teams these days do need maverick expressive risk takers to win matches. If this move is part of a change in direction which leads the team towards becoming a bunch of over-trained clones, who a forced by coaches and management to focus on the percentages, then England could be facing longer term decline.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    RonB wrote:
    Bold decision which could have been made after the SA saga.

My worry would be that modern teams these days do need maverick expressive risk takers to win matches. If this move is part of a change in direction which leads the team towards becoming a bunch of over-trained clones, who a forced by coaches and management to focus on the percentages, then England could be facing longer term decline.
    :o you mean it could get worse?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Sack the highest run scorer - because he must have been to blame. Boo hoo that nasty KP is upsetting some of the delicate little flowers.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Mikey23
    Brilliant player for years but massive ego and serial prima Donna. He's been past his best for a while now and there will be younger players ready to step into his shoes. Someone said this morning that there isn't an i in team...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Brilliant player for years but massive ego and serial prima Donna. He's been past his best for a while now and there will be younger players ready to step into his shoes. Someone said this morning that there isn't an i in team...

Not convinced about that. He saved things at Old Trafford back in the summer with a century which ultimately helped secure the Ashes. It wasn't one of his trademark innings but for me it was one of his best because he showed he could do gritty when he puts his mind to it. Plenty of others in the current team who I would have ditched before KP.
  • I will always be a KP fan and apologist. There's a lot of hot air being vented about team ethic right now and so on, but it strikes me as hypocritical. Cricket is played by a team but it's a sport that absolutely and ultimately demands individuality (not the same thing as egotism) and for the player with the right skills for the moment to step in at critical times to make their mark. That's a huge part of its fascination for me and why Pietersens, Warnes and Gowers can be regarded outside the traditional definitions of a sports team on the field.
    He has said himself that he's just an old geezer now. Not far wrong but I'll miss him. Christ knows where England goes from here, except perhaps a descent into clonedom. I hope Prior gets back into shape and that Broad can hold himself together for a while. Finn has the stuff if he's brought along cleverly. Jimmy? Not sure about Jimmy any more now that Swann's a goner.

It's been a hell of a ride.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Have to agree, I think he's been scapegoated quite a lot over this. The Team need to have a proper look at themselves and at the moment it seems like they re doing anything they can to not...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I'm more concerned about the possible appointment of Ashely Giles as head coach for all 3 formats as I really don't think he's the man for the job.
  • Mikey23
    Yup, perhaps I'm being a little hard on the guy. It's easy to overlook the greatness of the career. And I was forgetting that old Trafford innings.

And I'm not convinced that Giles is the man for the job either but I presume this means that the job is his rather than waiting for a new boss to decide. Kirsten would have been my choice
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Kirsten has to be the first choice. It's a shame Vaughan hasn't got into coaching as I reckon he'd be brilliant. He'd be worth having in the set up somewhere for his man management and tactical skills IMHO.
  • Mikey23
    Yes, that seemed to be a pretty rubbish selection at the time but he certainly seems have got that bunch turned around now. I like the Aussies except when they are playing England. The series against SA should be a cracker