TPMs ashes thread

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
Sticky please mods.

Who to open with cook; carberry or root?

Carberry for me with root dropping to 6.

Such decisions

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Looking like carberry is the favourite after his tour so far. Yesterday's knock was quite impressive. I'm not quite convinced about him yet... Obviously a talented player but seems a little flakey under pressure and I'm sure there is going to be lots of that. Root I think will be a better player at 6

Never mind all the guff about globalisation and politics, this is the important stuff...
  • Mikey23
    Shame about the Watson hamstring innit!
  • Not a sticky yet....hmmm

I like carbs even though he always dies well against Essex, had he not had the blood clot thing he would have played a lot more for England by now.
  • Mikey23
    Dies well indeed... That's not really what we want!

Was watching the odi series with India and Aussie have some good players coming through and George Bailey was quite capable as a captain. Like the look of James Faulkner, Aaron finch will destroy if he's allowed and Mitchell Johnson is ... Mitchell Johnson
  • Bailey is a canny skip. Saw a fair bit of him for Hants in championship cricket this summer, not sure he would make a test player.
  • Mikey23
    I think he's a bit one dimensional as a skipper but his batting was pretty savage against the Indians. Ok not the best attack in the world but he was the highest scoring Aussie ever in 50 overs. I was quite impressed with his people skills, they looked like a unit and were having fun.
  • Do Australia have many options to alter their side from the test series just gone? I guess they'll be preparing livelier pitches for the seamers.
  • In theory there's a bevy of quicks being held back a couple of who devastated county cricket to an extent and in their own context. I wouldn't judge much on the dead bellerive oval pitch.

For me they have some decent bats not playing dlbut don't pick them for whatever reason in tests, Dave hussey, Adam voges, klinger etc, considered too old, and their spinners are gash, should never have jettisoned hauritz imo.
  • Mikey23
    Voges, maxwell, Faulkner and finch have all impressed me but only in the context of moderate Indian bowling, good pitches and 50 overs... Whether they have it in a 5 day test and how they can produce a balanced team is debateable. Watson will probably be fit but can't possibly be 100%. I think they will be a better side than in the summer... Should be a cracking series..
  • its close
  • Mikey23
    Yup, any team selection news yet? Sure hope prior is fit... Might watch the first half hour but can't stay up all night. Pesky Australians and their stoopid time zone things
  • Mikey23
    Kp playing his 100th test, didn't know that
  • Mikey23
    Satisfactory start...
  • Australia haven't a chance that batting line up is dire and George Bailey never will be a test cricketer, his fc record and form don't stand up.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    The Aussie supporters really need to learn who to sledge. Some players go to pieces and others thrive - the Aussie players used to be excellent at knowing who to target - Broad is the sort who thrives on it. Hopefully they'll wrap things up quickly tonight then we can see if England's batting has improved since the summer.
  • Mikey23
    I think it will... It's a beautiful pitch
  • I went to sleep lastnight with the radio on at minimal volume, not loud enough to stop me sleeping but sufficient to enable me to pick up the score whenever I stirred during the night. I heard the first couple of overs and Rogers dismissal then 88-4, 173-6 and awoke at just after 5am as Haddin and Johnson fought back. Good to hear Aus batting line-up still pants though hardly a surprise if I think about it, no country is likely to be able to find new quality players in the space of a few months.
  • Pross
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I think it will... It's a beautiful pitch

You were saying? Just woke up and switched on expecting to maybe see England's middle order approaching the Aussies 1st innings total. Embarrassing!
  • Mikey23
    Indeed... A bit rubbish methinks 6 for 9 in an hour? Wtf
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sticky please mods.
    I would stick it to the bottom of the list.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Pross
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Indeed... A bit rubbish methinks 6 for 9 in an hour? Wtf

England's batting hasn't been great for a few series now. They have been fortunate in that each batsman seems to have managed a decent score at some point but none appear to be in consistently good form. So by the end of day 3 we'll probably be put in to bat with over 500 required - not looking good!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    THREAD CLOSED
  • I woke up at 4am and listened to it for a couple of hours before getting up for work. A horrible performance, not a great reason to feel tired all day!
  • Mikey23
    Hopefully a wake up call. Many thought that we were well superior and all we had to do was turn up to win it.
  • Mikey23
    Pitiful...
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Hopefully a wake up call. Many thought that we were well superior and all we had to do was turn up to win it.

I don't think there were many genuine cricket fans who thought that, there were signs in the summer series here that we weren't that far ahead of them.
  • Pross
    Yep, the cracks got papered over in the summer by individual performances in most games. Trott in particular is lucky to still be a first choice test player.
  • I haven't seen it yet but I read George Bailey, he with the long and illustrious test career, was giving it large with the verbals to the England team. What a nobber.
  • the playing mantis
    the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
    edited November 2013
    Pross wrote:
    Yep, the cracks got papered over in the summer by individual performances in most games. Trott in particular is lucky to still be a first choice test player.

not been so many cracks seen since big merv used to go down in front of bay 13 and all the big brown eyes stared lovingly at their hero, if only dear tony was still with us, he'd have a field day with his car keys.

england were pathetic. tremlett thats it, im afraid for you.

expect big improvements in adelaide
  • Poor old trotty, our batting looks thin now too. Take a gamble on stokes even though he is a kiwi. How long will it be until Ravi bop gets dragged out yet again...