Sintered or resin?

Comments

• Just to Hijack the thread slightly ...

Cooldad and The Rookie - why Kevlar over Sintered? I've used Organic (which lasted about 3 months in last winter's slop and grit!) and Sintered (which have lasted much longer ... but they do squeal a bit!)

I'm about to get some more from Superstar, and will consider the Kevlar - what is better about them than Sintered/Organic ... and are they likely to be reasonably hard-wearing in the mud and wet?

Also - since I'm on the subject - new pads for the cross/commuter bike - won't be used very much offroad until the Spring - organic or Kevlar?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They last longer than organic in nasty conditions, but seem to be as powerful, and don't squeal (as much?) as sintered.
    Although I've still got SS organic on I put on in 'summer'.
    And they're red.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why Kevlar? Broadly speaking the best of both worlds, durability is similar to sintered in adverse conditions, friction agaisnt temperature is similar to resin without the steep 'cliff' sintered suffer from, initial bite is also higher (like resin) they are also less stiff so less likely to suffer high pitched squeals (which is rare on resin pads, other noises can be still be had though) and they are red which everyone knows is faster.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's common on here for posters to post a question not understanding all the implications of what they are asking, which is why the answers are not allways what the OP's think they want, even if they are intended to answer what they may have wanted to ask had they understoof said implications!

Wtf are you on about, lol? He obviously just hadn't read the thread, or was just having a laugh. I knew exactly what I wanted to ask, which is why I asked it.
  • Kowalski675
    Just to Hijack the thread slightly ...

No worries. I'm no one of those saddos that cries about "thread hijacking" (I always wonder if they get equally upset when a verbal conversation deviates from it's original subject, lol).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's common on here for posters to post a question not understanding all the implications of what they are asking, which is why the answers are not allways what the OP's think they want, even if they are intended to answer what they may have wanted to ask had they understoof said implications!

Wtf are you on about, lol? He obviously just hadn't read the thread, or was just having a laugh. I knew exactly what I wanted to ask, which is why I asked it.
    Brilliant, so tell us how we know you know exactly what you want to ask?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

TBF you originally posted
    What's folk's opinions on brake pad choice, between sintered or resin. In general, but specifically for O.E. Shimano XT pads, if anyone has experience of those:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod61810

had you started with
    The situation is that I bought new XT brakes from CRC, which came with the finned OE pads, but the front has F01A resin pads, while the rear has F03C sintered pads. I want the same both ends (for the same braking feel), and they're gonna send me a pair of pads, but I'm wondering whether to ask for resin, or push for the pricier sintered ones (in motorcycle road bike pads sintered are better in every respect than organic, but in MTB circles the claim seems to be that resin pads have more bite).

people would not have suggested other makes or got confused - however in your defence cooldad is a bit of a numpty :lol:
  • poah
    POAH wrote:
    have resin on front sintered on rear don't bother changing pads

I want the same feel at both ends.

you wont have though since one is a front brake and one is a rear brake :wink:
  • cooldad
    POAH wrote:
    However in his defence, cooldad can be excused for not understanding your vague ramblings. :lol:
    FTFY.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • poah
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    people would not have suggested other makes or got confused - however in your defence cooldad is a bit of a numpty :lol:
    its true :( .

man enough to agree too
  • Kowalski675
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Er, it was in my first post. Do they not speak English in Leamington Spa then, lol? :lol:
  • cooldad
    I mentioned in another thread Yorkshiremen are more foreign than foreigners.
    I rest my case.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    POAH wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:

man enough to agree too
    Couldn't be me. I don't do smilies. Because I'm not a numpty.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Er, it was in my first post. Do they not speak English in Leamington Spa then, lol? :lol:
    We do, once you've learnt you can read what I wrote and then tell me exactly what you put in that first post that answers that question......
  • poah
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:

man enough to agree too
    Couldn't be me. I don't do smilies. Because I'm not a numpty.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

no smile in your post, only a sad face ;)
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    I mentioned in another thread Yorkshiremen are more foreign than foreigners.
    I rest my case.

Yes, I corrected you then, you're still equally wrong here. :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

We do, once you've learnt you can read what I wrote and then tell me exactly what you put in that first post that answers that question......

I think it's clearly you that needs to learn to read, lol. Your grammar could do with some work too. :lol:
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Get sintered. Then go for superstar kevlar when they wear out.
  • Kowalski675
    ste_t wrote:

Aye, that seems to be about the size of it.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    ste_t wrote:

and save the resin pads as an emergency set in your pack
  • Kowalski675
    ste_t wrote:
    ste_t wrote:

and save the resin pads as an emergency set in your pack

Indeed. They're letting me keep the pair of Clarks sintered pads they sent too, which is nice of 'em.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

I think it's clearly you that needs to learn to read, lol. Your grammar could do with some work too. :lol:
    No, I read it and it still isn't clear beyond reasonable doubt that you did know EXACTLY what you were asking, hence why people were trying to he helpful, however duly noted that in future if I think you may not I won't bother trying to help but will merely answer the question as asked.
  • Kowalski675
    The Rookie wrote:
    No, I read it and it still isn't clear beyond reasonable doubt that you did know EXACTLY what you were asking, hence why people were trying to he helpful, however duly noted that in future if I think you may not I won't bother trying to help but will merely answer the question as asked.

The question was quite clear. Thanks anyway to those who gave well meaning replies to different questions, even after I'd explained exactly what the situation was, but if I'd wanted different questions answered then I would've asked different questions, lol.

Anyway, you need ramble no further, lol, nice new set of retail packaged genuine Shimano sintered metal finned pads arrived today F.O.C. Lovely jubbly.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Finned pads are a waste of money. I tried them in my zees. Even on a long, high speed dh track they make no difference.
    Sintered for more powerful braking and better bite. Resin lasts longer.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Sintered for more powerful braking and better bite. Resin lasts longer.

Shouldn't that be the other way round?
  • Kowalski675
    Finned pads are a waste of money.

Not when they're free... :roll:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I always used Superstar Kevlar, tend to find they glaze before they wear though, fitted some resin ones lately and do find the power better.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

whether their finned or not, shimano pads aren't as good as either brake authority or nukeproof pads.
  • Depends what you want out of them, sintered will be better in winter conditions in terms of wear and braking. if you arent getting them hot tho, the resin will give you better feedback.
  • Kowalski675

whether their finned or not, shimano pads aren't as good as either brake authority or nukeproof pads.

But when you buy new Shimano brakes they tend to come with Shimano pads... :roll: