Sintered or resin?

Kowalski675
Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
What's folk's opinions on brake pad choice, between sintered or resin. In general, but specifically for O.E. Shimano XT pads, if anyone has experience of those:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod61810

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I've always gone resin as they're cheaper and they seem to last really well, I got a year out of mine until the CCC2CC destroyed them :lol: Gone for resin again and they've bedded in quickly too :)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I use uberbike racematrix pads on my hope M4 and rear SLX M675 (same as M785 XT)
  • Kowalski675
    POAH wrote:
    I use uberbike racematrix pads on my hope M4 and rear SLX M675 (same as M785 XT)

Cheers, but I'm not looking for recommendations for other suppliers, just sintered v resin in those finned Shimano pads.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Ok, you might not have asked for alternatives, but because I want to see you get maximum bang for your buck, I'm going to suggest some alternatives.

Don't pay for the finning - it serves zero practical function apart from separating you from your coin. Seriously, total waste.

I've always used Superstar sintered when I've had the choice. Dirt cheap, and sufficiently effective in my XT's - a good balance between braking power, modulation and longevity (I use my brakes more than Lawman does!). :lol:

I've only once paid for OE pads, and never again! 4 pairs for 20 quid - that'll do me.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • poah
    POAH wrote:

Cheers, but I'm not looking for recommendations for other suppliers, just sintered v resin in those finned Shimano pads.

finned ones are too expensive for my liking but for up here I'd go for sintered in shimano finned over resin. My rear OE resin ones got fucked but TBH I found the SLX with resin pads not to have enough modulation.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless you are putting serious heat in, finned are a waste of time and money (and add weight), Superstar Kevlar for me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    Clank wrote:
    Ok, you might not have asked for alternatives, but because I want to see you get maximum bang for your buck, I'm going to suggest some alternatives.

Don't pay for the finning - it serves zero practical function apart from separating you from your coin. Seriously, total waste.

I've always used Superstar sintered when I've had the choice. Dirt cheap, and sufficiently effective in my XT's - a good balance between braking power, modulation and longevity (I use my brakes more than Lawman does!). :lol:

I've only once paid for OE pads, and never again! 4 pairs for 20 quid - that'll do me.

Cheers, I appreciate the sentiment, and if I was paying for them then I wouldn't buy OE pads (or be paying extra for the fins, regardless of how nice they look) - I've never bought MTB pads, but I'd never buy OE motorcycle pads, it's just throwing money away.

The situation is that I bought new XT brakes from CRC, which came with the finned OE pads, but the front has F01A resin pads, while the rear has F03C sintered pads. I want the same both ends (for the same braking feel), and they're gonna send me a pair of pads, but I'm wondering whether to ask for resin, or push for the pricier sintered ones (in motorcycle road bike pads sintered are better in every respect than organic, but in MTB circles the claim seems to be that resin pads have more bite).
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Top man - personally, I'd hit the sintered, if you can.

I found my OE shimano resins had a very short life (on the three pairs I've used). The Avid ones seemed to have lasted longer, oddly.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Resin will wear quicker (especially in the muddy wet winter we're coming into) but dont fade as quick as sintered.
    I'd get sintered.
  • Kowalski675
    edited November 2013
    especially in the muddy wet winter we're coming into

Yeah, that's what I was considering.

I have to say that I'm somewhat puzzled by the conflict between the concensus of opinion on MTB pads v what I know from motorcycle brakes. On motorcycles sintered pads are far more fade resistant than organic, offering consistent performance when cold or hot, and more power at all operating temperatures (sintered road pads are pretty much universally HH rated, compared to GG for organics). Maybe it's down to the much higher operating temperatures of motorcycle brakes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    Unless you are putting serious heat in, finned are a waste of time and money (and add weight), Superstar Kevlar for me.
    This
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    And they're red, so obviously add speeeed.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    This

I think you're missing the point of the question, lol, but thanks anyway.
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    And they're red, so obviously add speeeed.

But would clash with my green frame graphics and grips :wink:
  • especially in the muddy wet winter we're coming into

I have to say that I'm somewhat puzzled by the conflict between the concensus of opinion on MTB pads v what I know from motorcycle brakes. On motorcycles sintered pads are far more fade resistant than organic, offering consistent performance when cold or hot, and more power at all operating temperatures (sintered road pads are pretty much universally HH rated, compared to GG for organics). Maybe it's down to the much higher operating temperatures of motorcycle brakes.
    I always find that sintered (on mtb) are rubbish at extremes. In cold they just dont work and make more noise than a penguin in a blender. When they get really hot they tend to glaze over and fade is terrible!
  • Kowalski675
    especially in the muddy wet winter we're coming into

I always find that sintered (on mtb) are rubbish at extremes. In cold they just dont work and make more noise than a penguin in a blender. When they get really hot they tend to glaze over and fade is terrible!

But you say you'd choose sintered?
  • poah
    have resin on front sintered on rear don't bother changing pads
  • Kowalski675
    POAH wrote:
    have resin on front sintered on rear don't bother changing pads

I want the same feel at both ends.
  • cooldad
    Still this
    cooldad wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    This
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    Still this
    cooldad wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    This

Are you just being awkward, or did you not read the reasoning behind the question, lol? :wink:
  • especially in the muddy wet winter we're coming into

Over resin, yep... but I use kevlar :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    Over resin, yep... but I use kevlar :wink:[/quote]

Ah, furry muff.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Shimano brakes used to come with one of each pad in every brake.
  • Kowalski675
    njee20 wrote:
    Shimano brakes used to come with one of each pad in every brake.

Things aint what they used to be, lol.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Still this
    cooldad wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    This

Are you just being awkward, or did you not read the reasoning behind the question, lol? :wink:
    What's folk's opinions on brake pad choice, between sintered or resin. In general, but specifically...
    Both in general and specifically I think you're a bit confused.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Still this
    cooldad wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    This

What's folk's opinions on brake pad choice, between sintered or resin. In general, but specifically...
    Both in general and specifically I think you're a bit confused.

I think it's you that's confused. Either that, or you just haven't actually read the thread, lol.
  • The Rookie
    It's common on here for posters to post a question not understanding all the implications of what they are asking, which is why the answers are not allways what the OP's think they want, even if they are intended to answer what they may have wanted to ask had they understoof said implications!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Tbh its probably personal preference, and the ground conditions where you ride and how hard you use your brakes,for instance ,wet and gritty long dh runs probably sintered,etc...
  • The Rookie
    Given the OP's original question, for the UK sintered, for the Alps organic/resin.