Plans for 2014

13»

Comments

• ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    carry on as normal, love the bike ride as much as possible.

500 a month min and go faster on my local loop :mrgreen: simple plans
  • Plans for 2014. Perhaps a little tame by some people's standards.

Going to have a go at a bit of touring around Wales. Probably only 3, maybe 4, nights.
    Dunwich Dynamo. That really interests me if I can get transport sorted.
    I want to reach 3000 miles for the year.

I have had this crazy thought running through my head for a couple of months. I want to do the Lon Las Cymru. It's about 240 miles from Cardiff or Chepstow to Holyhead, or the other way round. The crazy thing is I want to do it in a day, 24 hours!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Lon Las Cymru in 24 hours - totally doable looking at it. Hard, but doable.

250 miles (400km) in 24 hours is a good target - but it will take quite a bit of work to get there, particularly as this is not the flattest route on the planet!

Good ambition and not tame at all. Audax would be my suggested route for getting the build up in distances. I would highly recommend Yr Elenydd in April - it does take in some of the roads on your intended route as well. The best 300km in the land - a real classic ride.

Good luck!
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    1- first ton
    2- get my average up 2mph
    3- enter some ft's
    4- complete more sportives and rides with clubs
    3- keep my 3 rides a week going...consistancy has pushed me on loads
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Lejog in June in Audax time.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Marcus.

Thank you for your words of encouragement. At the moment the Lon Las Cymru is just an idea but on which will not go away. I know it is not flat, Wales has some fabulous climbs. I have this somewhat romantic notion of seeing the sunrise from the Gospel Pass. Just looking at numbers 240 miles in 24 hours is easy at 10mph, or so you would think. But can I ride for that length of time? If I plan to do the ride in June or July, I have time to get quite a lot of training in, might even create a blog about it.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Riding that sort of distance with that sort of ascent in 24 hours is far from impossible - but it's also far from easy.

400km is a standard Audax distance, for which the maximum allowed time is 27 hours - but, plenty of people will ride that in under 24 hours even on hilly routes. The fastest I have ridden 400km in Audax conditions is just under 18 hours - but that was flatish.

What's the furthest you've ridden so far?

Winter and spring are key to getting the miles in, getting the bike comfortable and working out what you can deal with food and drink wise.

Definitely look at riding some 200km events in the spring, and taking the step up to 300km in April and May. That will put you in a good place to tackle your challenge.
  • 1. Lose 4kg
    2. Climb better and quicker
    3. A sub 23 10TT (Current best is 24:13)
    4. Duathlons.
    5. Train better/smarter and clean up my diet.

Apart from that, I have nothing much planned for next year other than a few days booked in Majorca in May.
  • just a few I want to do.

1..get my first 100 miler
    2..get into the TT scene and get a few done and try to improve
    3..get another stone off and i'l be sorted.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • sah682
    sah682 Posts: 33
    Get some miles on the clock New Year's Day

KTG Mercia in March
    Dougie mac 100 in May
    KTG Shropshire 100 in September
    Cannock chase 100 on October

Reclaim the Kom kenmore to killin whilst holidaying in Scotland this summer.

Cover 3000 miles in the year

Get my avg up over 19
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    nweststeyn wrote:
    Etape Loch Ness, Etape Caledonia & Tour o' The Borders sportives
    Climb the Bealach na Ba
    Get to and maintain 13 stone 10 or so.
    Get my teeth sorted.

Right... Got my entries in for all those 3 sportives.
    Got TWO Bealach trips planned.
    Faced my lifelong crippling fear and anxiety and went to the Dentist. It wasn't good news, and I'm about to lose 7 teeth because I spent too long not looking after myself like a f***ing ****. BUT... it's now in the process of getting sorted, so no more horrible toothache keeping me awake and making me lose out on training time.
  • Lose 3kg
    Not get lost on the Tour Of Wessex as I did in spectacular fashion last year
    Turn up for the Audax rides I pay for
    Get the average up by a couple of kph
    Stay off the sauce
    Bodmin & Lands End 100 milers
    Get better at descending
    More Hills!!
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • Gazspurs
    Gazspurs Posts: 122
    My goals for 2013 were to get a gold time in a Sportive & to do my 1st 100 miler.

I'm pleased to say I got gold & completed 3 100 milers, the longest being 124.

I would like to receive a ballet place in Ride100 in 2014 & complete that & raise some money for a close friend that sadly passed away 3 years ago. As part of that challenge (should I get in) I am planning on cycling from Reading to Le Mans MotoGP in under 24 hours in May.

Other than that to keep riding as much as possible, with friends & my club & to purchase my Cervelo S5 should I get my work bonus!
  • Plans for 2013
    1. Sub 5 hour century. DONE :D
    2. Sub 24 minute 10 mile TT. CLOSE but not quite :|
    3. Complete very long one-day ride just for the hell of it. DONE (225 miles) :D
    4. Improve my climbing. DONE (knocked 8 seconds of my Hill Climb PB) :D

Plans for 2014
    1. Get racing licence and enter winter series. DONE (first race 28 Dec 13)
    2. Train properly over winter
    3. Move up to 3rd cat as quickly as possible
    4. Win a race
    5. Buy MTB
    6. Sub 23 minute 10TT
    7. Win club Hill Climb
    8. Climb Mont Ventoux
    9. Get BC coaching qualification
    10. Invest in some EPO
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • A bit late coming to the thread, but my plans for 2014 are basically to get as many miles in as I can. I just set up my SS commuter, and will be starting to use that once the new year gets here. We are moving into a new centre where I will be based all day, rather than being constantly on the move, which means I have a nice 15km commute each way. I'm also going to try to hit the turbo at least twice a week on top.

I hope to be in good riding weight and shape by summer when we are back in Austria so I can beat my father-in-law in a few rides. Only managed it once or twice since he really should be racing Cat 1 or pro, but I have to beat him!

Other than that, I also want to get into TTing. Hopefully I will have some money to spend on a TT bike by April or so.
  • vanleapo
    vanleapo Posts: 150
    Complete the full 195miles of the Mallorca 312 http://en.mallorca312.com/home/
    I've done the 167km version the last 2 years and need to have a go at the full thing.
    Requires a better winter than last year though, to get enough training in.
    Tearfund Tour of Scotland 26th May to 1st June 2013
    http://www.justgiving.com/phil-godley
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Join the local club, do the races, lose weight,(nearly 13 stone to as close to eleven as possible,) do cir-cum-150K ride, as many sportives as possible and get from 28min 16K time trial to a 25 one.

With my winning from races,(ok, summer work :lol: ) get a Garmin 500/510 and a new, kick-ass, pair of shoes

I like to aim high, if I achieve all my goals I tend to go on a bender after it :evil:
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • IrishMac wrote:
    Join the local club, do the races, lose weight,(nearly 13 stone to as close to eleven as possible,) do cir-cum-150K ride, as many sportives as possible and get from 28min 16K time trial to a 25 one.

With my winning from races,(ok, summer work :lol: ) get a Garmin 500/510 and a new, kick-ass, pair of shoes

I like to aim high, if I achieve all my goals I tend to go on a bender after it :evil:

Best of luck with those! High goals are the best way forward.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Another one here planning to lose weight (not prepared to say how much). I want to be more consistent (recent weekly mileages vary from 208 to zero!), with the aim of enjoying the Flanders sportive (last year was not great, it was freezing and I just wasn't fit enough to really enjoy it). After Flanders I'd like to get my 10 times back down to where they were 5 years ago and there's a small matter of a 35 year old 25 pb that needs to be fixed.

If I can manage to lose enough weight there's always the possibility of some real racing...
  • My 2014 goals:
    To not pussy out on really wet/cold/icy/dark winter days
    Ride my MTB a whole lot more than the lousy 500miles I managed this year!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,877
    Next year is the final year of MBA, so goals are low for that reason.

Get close to this years mileage (5,500 miles) from commuting and try to get out with the club at least once a month.
    Maintain weight.
    Coast to coast in a day
  • Up mileage to 100 miles per week.
    Try a local TT
    Join Matlock CC
    Do some sportives.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    nweststeyn wrote:
    Etape Loch Ness, Etape Caledonia & Tour o' The Borders sportives
    Climb the Bealach na Ba
    Get to and maintain 13 stone 10 or so.
    Get my teeth sorted.

Nearly the end of July and I just remembered this thread.

Rode Etape Loch Ness & Caledonia, finishing in the top 3% of finishing times at both.
    Spent a hell of a lot of money on dental work and have felt healthier ever since.
    Went from over 15 stone to 13 stone 6 and have held it there.
    Last tuesday, I set out on an epic ride with 2 friends and travelled 341km from the east coast to the west coast, finishing on the Bealach na Ba climb after 13 hours in the saddle!

Just the Tour o' the Borders to go!
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    mpatts wrote:
    1) Train hard, and win a cat 3/4 race
    2) Enjoy cycling
    3) Try not to spend too much on cycling stuff!

My years summary:

1) Train hard TICK, win a race not a chance - best result 12th!
    2) Enjoy it more every day
    3) FAIL :D
    Insert bike here: