Marmotte 2014

12346»

Comments

• BenderRodriguez
    BenderRodriguez Posts: 907
    edited February 2015
    ManxShred wrote:
    Bender, if you can do that time with not much specific training, then if you went for it, you could get a much better time.

This year I did a much faster time than previously, and noticed a few things.

Starting nearer the front makes a big difference to the over time. I did push a bit more up the Glandon, then found that the groups in the valley were a lot more organised, with better riders (ie safer) and much faster.
    It also meant that the descent off of the Galibier was with better riders and groups so my time along there was much better.

I think that the biggest mistake I made was being over-awed by the reputation of the course, and simply spent too long riding the climbs too slowly. My rate of ascent for Alpe D'Huez was my highest of the day, which just doesn't seem right somehow. After this, wasting time at the feeds probably cost me the most time.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • mf123456 wrote:
    Organisers - its criminal to not provide toilets. The river through BDO had a much higher water level, and many more pooh sticks than normal. We knew the score though, so it wasn't a surprise - its just poor.

It's France. Al-fresco activities are the norm. I had a very nice chat with an old lady at the bottom of the Alpe in 2011 as I did what needed to be done to rebalance fluid levels. She seemed neither surprised nor offended, other than by the quality of my spoken French!

Last year, I was domestiquing for my wife, and found myself holding her bike on a side-street at the bottom of the Glandon. Without going into too much detail, pretty much every grass verge was being utilised by the ladies for their fluid rebalancing activities. No-one appeared to care, not even the old folk out tending to their roses mere inches away from the deluge!
  • mf123456
    mf123456 Posts: 14
    mf123456 wrote:
    Organisers - its criminal to not provide toilets. The river through BDO had a much higher water level, and many more pooh sticks than normal. We knew the score though, so it wasn't a surprise - its just poor.

It's France. Al-fresco activities are the norm. I had a very nice chat with an old lady at the bottom of the Alpe in 2011 as I did what needed to be done to rebalance fluid levels. She seemed neither surprised nor offended, other than by the quality of my spoken French!

Last year, I was domestiquing for my wife, and found myself holding her bike on a side-street at the bottom of the Glandon. Without going into too much detail, pretty much every grass verge was being utilised by the ladies for their fluid rebalancing activities. No-one appeared to care, not even the old folk out tending to their roses mere inches away from the deluge!

:) When in Rome and all that! I have no shame (!) so it didn't bother me personally, but very surprised the locals in Bourg don't care. In contrast to this, I was shouted at by a marshall at the Valloire feed for trying to pee accross the road from the feed, when I hopped of my bike. I had to cross over the road and go behind one of the tents, but that marshall was fighting a losing battle...
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    Problem is that I know that if I take this route I will probably never be satisfied, whatever I achieve, and treating events like the Marmotte as being akin to an exam where you 'pass' or 'fail' does seem to sap the joy from them somewhat.

Everyone has different things that motivates them. For me, I have never been a competitive and racy person, probably because I am not a naturally gifted athlete. So for me having a good go at the Marmotte and having the satisfaction at the end that I gave it a good go is enough. The first time I did it I was angry with myself because I didn't perform to my ability and the amount of work I put it.
  • gavinbay
    gavinbay Posts: 144
    Yes indeed weather has been grim for the past three days - with snow level at around 2400m - Galibier and Lautaret has been enveloped in cloud at around 1800m with hardly any breaks at all.

I'm in Serre Chevalier roughly 15km down from Lautaret and at least we've had a few breaks and peaks of the sun, but on the whole it's not good and cold as well. We had better temps in March and April !

I had scheduled a break off riding for a few days after nigh on four weeks out here, but a few days looks like a week, that said have done a few big hikes near Col de Granon (my back garden) and Nevache exploring terrain for next winter, and yesterday (wed) we were in a mini snow storm for half an hour and this morning you could see the fresh snow from around 2500 so that would be Galibier!

Chapeau to all who did the Marmotte.
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    bs147 wrote:
    Are split times across the various timing mats ever posted?

Go to the home page on the French version of the site http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/index.php?langue=1 , click on the Marmotte profile picture and put in your number.
  • badgerbeaver
    badgerbeaver Posts: 102
    I was not as fast the folks posting on here.

My first Marmotte, but not first time in the Alps, I got an official time of 11:00hours but a look on Strava tells me my moving time was almost two hours less than the elapsed time!

Like others, I had some target times for the top of each climb and the start of the Alp. However, reaching the Glandon 20 minutes later than planned, I took the pressure off and whilst I still gave it the beans for passages on the Galibier and the first part of the Alp, I rode conservatively desperately keen to avoid blowing up and ruining the day. Am pleased I had enough fitness to complete and crucially enjoy the day without ever feeling in any doubt about finishing. It was an amazing day out, almost a shame to end it! If the weather had been less pleasant I suspect I would have wanted to get it over with a lot quicker.

maybe I will go back and try for a quicker time, it's certainly feasible for me to go under 9 hours without much more training, and just applying myself on the day. There seemed to be a lot of people riding like me, not really racing and just taking it (relatively) easy. However, I did notice people who seemed to be on there absolute limit, chugging away with very low cadences. It looked pretty desperate.
  • Great stuff BB and everyone else.

You're right BB - it was great to ride within your limits - I loved the ascent of Galibier as I was able to enjoy the scenery and the lines of riders above and below you. A truly beautiful place to cycle.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Good job everybody and great times, i did it last year and even though i very good in hot conditions that was just too much, the temp on the Alpe was 45c and even more reflecting off the road, i've never had such hot feet, finishing last year was the aim.

I'll do it again one day but not for a while, my seeding for a first timer was right at the back and i basically spent the whole day trapped behind and weaving through some shockingly poor riders with terrible road craft, every feed stop was a 10 mins road block even though i had my own supplies on me.

All that said i did enjoy it
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    stanthomas wrote:
    bs147 wrote:
    Are split times across the various timing mats ever posted?

Go to the home page on the French version of the site http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/index.php?langue=1 , click on the Marmotte profile picture and put in your number.

Thanks Stanthomas - that's exactly what I was after, very interesting!
  • JSS
    JSS Posts: 55
    It has taken a while but I have finally written a ride report on the 2014 Marmotte [warning...it's rather long]....

http://www.sportive.com/la-marmotte/514 ... low-finish
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Anyone know if SportCommunication were still accepting a UK licence in lieu of a medical certificate this year ? I've entered another of their events and would rather use my licence than pay my doctor for a certificate.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • JSS
    JSS Posts: 55
    Anyone know if SportCommunication were still accepting a UK licence in lieu of a medical certificate this year ? I've entered another of their events and would rather use my licence than pay my doctor for a certificate.

I'd be surprised if they did. Think they need a medical certificate for their insurance cover.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    They always have for the marmotte certainly up until last year though which is why I ask - it's the same organisers.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Anyone know if SportCommunication were still accepting a UK licence in lieu of a medical certificate this year ? I've entered another of their events and would rather use my licence than pay my doctor for a certificate.

Used a BC licence for this year's Marmotte without any problems, as did a load of my club-mates. As soon as I uploaded it to the SportCommunication website, the entry changed to complete and I could print out my entry form, which was asked for at sign on. No medical certificates were asked for.

Video of my ride this year for anybody interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sooBaCCtbs
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I had a similar experience to oldhairy legs. I didn't get confirmation of my entry by the organisers until the 17th June. I uploaded my medical certificate a week before the Marmotte and was able to print out my entry form immediately, which was all I needed to show at the sign-on (although I did take the medical certificate just in case).

I've heard some people forged their own medical certificates so given the amount of entries they would need to check, I'm guessing you could upload a scan of your shopping receipt and still get in! :mrgreen: