Marmotte 2014

Comments

• Oh dear I see i have missed out on registering for 2014....what are the best options now 9not overly keen on using one of the tour companies as their hotels are typically rubbish and over priced.
    You could enter the Trophee. Ok, it'll cost you more but it makes a really good week and after the Alpe d'Huez hill climb on Sunday morning you'll know you've done a bike ride.
  • Why not look out for an entry for sale and ride in someone elses name, ok I know you aren't meant to but what's the harm.

You would find the answer to that question in the event of an accident, when you would not be covered by the event's insurance policy and would have to personally stand the cost of that helicopter trip to the hospital, claims for compensation if you were found to be at fault etc. etc. Any policy that you took out yourself would almost certainly also be invalid, seeing as you were riding without authorisation.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Marik
    Marik Posts: 40
    Missed registration, but not really sorry as 2013 was a nightmare in the heat. Anyone recommend other events in the Alps in July? Would be tempted to register for something and just risk pulling out if stupidly hot, so cheaper would be a bonus.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    Why not look out for an entry for sale and ride in someone elses name, ok I know you aren't meant to but what's the harm.

You would find the answer to that question in the event of an accident, when you would not be covered by the event's insurance policy and would have to personally stand the cost of that helicopter trip to the hospital, claims for compensation if you were found to be at fault etc. etc. Any policy that you took out yourself would almost certainly also be invalid, seeing as you were riding without authorisation.

Nonsense.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Why not look out for an entry for sale and ride in someone elses name, ok I know you aren't meant to but what's the harm.

Nonsense.

From Sports Communication's web site:
    Echanges ou achats de dossards. Danger!

Dans la “course” à tout prix pour obtenir un dossard pour La Marmotte et malgré la fermeture des inscriptions, certains se voient proposer (ou sollicitent même) des dossards à n’importe quelles conditions, voir des dossards fictifs par des individus indélicats.

Nous rappelons que les échanges ou rachats de dossards entre concurrents sont interdits et ne seront pas pris en compte pour participer à l’épreuve. Aucun changement de nom ou de titulaire ne sera effectué.
    Même en cas en désistement ou d’impossibilité.

Avec un triple risque :

pour celui qui a effectué un tel paiement, l’impossibilité de pouvoir participer sous son propre nom et d’ avoir ses résultats.
    celui de ne pas être reconnu victime en cas d’accident provoqué par un tiers.
    pour celui qui a ‘cédé’ son dossard, le risque d’être mis en cause, en cas d’accident provoqué par le nouveau porteur du dossard et donc de voir sa responsabilité engagée. (un dossard=un nom)

Seules les inscriptions directement enregistrées sur notre site ou auprès de nos Tour-opérateurs et partenaires officiels seront validées.
    En effet, il ne s’agit pas d’un simple “transfert” de nom ou d’état-civil !
    Les dossards sont personnels, nominatifs, ne sont ni échangeables, ni remboursables, ni cessibles et notamment pour des raisons de:

responsabilité juridique
    assurance RC,
    contrôle des licences et certificat médicaux,
    adhésion personnelle au règles et règlement de l’épreuve et de l’Engagement Cyclo Durable,
    attribution dans les vagues de départ selon les résultats établis,
    responsabilité vis a vis du titulaire officiel du dossard, et des tiers,
    reliquat ou solde de paiement à effectuer,
    invalidité ou inexistence réelle du dossard,
    revente d’un même dossard à plusieurs concurrents,
    responsabilité et contrôle fédéral (suspensions, exclusions pour dopages ou autres motifs disciplinaires).

From the regulations that you agree to when you enter:
    REGLEMENT CYCLOSPORTIVES ET GRAND TROPHEE

Article 5 : ASSURANCES

Responsabilité Civile : Les organisateurs ont souscrit un contrat qui couvre leur Responsabilité Civile ainsi que celle des participants engagés, pour les dommages matériels ou corporels qu'ils pourraient causer accidentellement à des tiers ou se causer entre eux. Elle ne prend effet que sur l'itinéraire officiel et pendant la durée de l'épreuve, pour des participants régulièrement inscrits et contrôlés au départ et jusqu'à l'arrivée, les feuilles de pointage des contrôleurs officiels ou tapis de chronométrage faisant seule foi.

Article 13 : L'inscription est personnelle, et irrévocable. Elle ne peut être ni échangée, ni cédée, ni remboursée. Cette inscription donne droit à l'attribution nominative chronologique d'un numéro de dossard. Les participants inscrits après la date limite partiront en fin de peloton. Les dossards prioritaires sont attribués par l'organisateur dans la limite des places disponibles. Les inscriptions par Internet bénéficient du délai légal de réflexion et donc de rétractation de 7 jours (LRAR).
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    Why not look out for an entry for sale and ride in someone elses name, ok I know you aren't meant to but what's the harm.

Nonsense.

From Sports Communication's web site:
    Echanges ou achats de dossards. Danger!

[/quote]

Regardless of what Sports Communications says, if you have your own insurance policy and you are riding on open roads at the same time as their event, you should still be covered as nomal in case of an accident and for 3rd party liability. Do you think someone cycling up the Glandon is not covered by their insurance just because there is an event coming down it? What about someone coming down the Glandon then? You're simply not covered by the insurance that official riders in the event have. Riding the event unofficially shouldn't invalidate your own policy and nothing in the Sports Comms information claims this. Maybe for an event with closed roads like the Etape, but not here.
  • genki wrote:
    Regardless of what Sports Communications says, if you have your own insurance policy and you are riding on open roads at the same time as their event, you should still be covered as nomal in case of an accident and for 3rd party liability. Do you think someone cycling up the Glandon is not covered by their insurance just because there is an event coming down it? What about someone coming down the Glandon then? You're simply not covered by the insurance that official riders in the event have. Riding the event unofficially shouldn't invalidate your own policy and nothing in the Sports Comms information claims this. Maybe for an event with closed roads like the Etape, but not here.

That might well be true if you are simply riding on the road at the same time as the event. However, should you fraudulently become a part of the event by using someone else's entry / name (which is what 'DeVlaeminck' suggested) then this would give a personal insurer grounds for refusing to pay out.

Don't forget, personal insurance might cover you for just riding along, but it will usually specifically exclude racing or taking part in a competitive event (which is why the organisers of races and events like this provide cover) let alone taking part in a competitive event under false pretenses!

Also, this is France and a 'sportive' is to all intents and purposes a race, with a result given order of the finishing times, prizes, even drug testing. I wonder if 'DeVlaeminck' would also suggest that using someone else's name and entry in order to get a ride in road race would be a good idea, asking 'what's the harm'? I hope not!

I don't think that 'just riding the route' of an event like the Marmotte, 'by chance' at the same time as the event is acceptable either. There are good reasons for limiting the number of riders and additional, unauthorised riders would inevitably reduce the quality of the experience for those who are a legitimate part of the event, even if they don't cause a crash and a subsequent wrangle over insurance.
  • I've managed to miss the entry deadline but was going to enter the Trophee, I probably won't be able to make it over for the Vaujany Master and Prix des Rousses and was wondering whether this would invalidate my overall entry? Just don't want to fork out for the Trophee entry and find out that I because I missed the first two events that I can't ride the Marmotte
  • jcallaghan wrote:
    .. I probably won't be able to make it over for the Vaujany Master and Prix des Rousses and was wondering whether this would invalidate my overall entry?
    You will not have any problems. They are treated as separate events with separate sign-ons but if you don't finish all four you won't be counted in the Trophee de l'Oisans. Even so, I would encourage you to give it a go, they are all good events.
  • DeVlaeminck
    You make a fair point Bender but I've always had insurance which covers sportives and that's riding in my own name - so it's possible but yes a consideration.
  • If anyone has a place and is no longer able to the marmotte, let me know and I will buy it from you.
  • If anyone has a place and is no longer able to the marmotte, let me know and I will buy it from you.

I wouldnt bother with this approach
    The entry will be in their name and the level of ID scrutiny at registration will almost certainly flag you as an imposter

As long as you keep your wits about you there will be entries sold off by tour operators nearer the time
    Just beware this wont necessarily be in your name either so dont pay full price!

I bought an entry from one of the well known outfits who swore it would be in my own name
    Funnily enough he'd only take cash and met me in a bar at Alpe d'Huez the night before
    I received a bag with timing chip, papers, race numbers and some goodies - but not the WD40 grrrr

Sure enough I swiped the tag when able and it was clearly one of his cancellations
    But I didnt pay full price, was riding with pals and had my own ID on display so fine by me
  • "I wouldnt bother with this approach
    The entry will be in their name and the level of ID scrutiny at registration will almost certainly flag you as an imposter

As long as you keep your wits about you there will be entries sold off by tour operators nearer the time
    Just beware this wont necessarily be in your name either so dont pay full price!

I bought an entry from one of the well known outfits who swore it would be in my own name
    Funnily enough he'd only take cash and met me in a bar at Alpe d'Huez the night before
    I received a bag with timing chip, papers, race numbers and some goodies - but not the WD40 grrrr

Sure enough I swiped the tag when able and it was clearly one of his cancellations
    But I didnt pay full price, was riding with pals and had my own ID on display so fine by me"

A bit contradictory isn't it? You wouldn't bother with this approach but you did this last year

i missed out with the earlier entry but got a place through cyclomundo - ok I had to pay an extra 30 euros but at least I have a bonafide entry in my own name. Not overly keen on taking up one of their packages though as extremely expensive.

just hoping the weather is better next year....last year i fried and after medical attention had to withdraw at the bottom of the Alpe.
  • A bit contradictory isn't it? You wouldn't bother with this approach but you did this last year

Not at all contradictory

I did La Marmotte in 2012 under my own name
    The registration was extremely thorough with ID checks and medical certificate inspections
    I doubt I could have got away with blagging it with someone elses entry

This year I missed the regular entry through Sportcommunication and decided to give it a miss but was talked into it at a much later date, I approached several companies who said they could get me entry. The one I went with assured me it would be under my own name yet insisted I meet him up on Alpe d'Huez the night before in a bar and pay cash.

He lied
  • I was due to take part in the Marmotte last year but crashed while mountain biking in Morzine just 3 days before. Spent the next 3 weeks in hospital in Thonon les Bains.

I had prepared pretty well and was gutted to have missed the event - I've never ridden on Alpine roads.

I'd love to go back next year and definitely have unfinished business, but I'd be on my own this time and therefore looking for companies who offer accommodation and airport transfers. Any suggestions guys?

Thanks
  • Classic cycling tours. I went with them last year, and going again next year.
  • quote="nammynake"]I was due to take part in the Marmotte last year but crashed while mountain biking in Morzine just 3 days before. Spent the next 3 weeks in hospital in Thonon les Bains.

I had prepared pretty well and was gutted to have missed the event - I've never ridden on Alpine roads.

I'd love to go back next year and definitely have unfinished business, but I'd be on my own this time and therefore looking for companies who offer accommodation and airport transfers. Any suggestions guys?

Thanks[/quote]

Col Conquerors. I spent 2 weeks riding in the Alps this year & Rob & his wife were the perfect hosts. Rob was a brilliant guide & really helpful with all things training, technique, & everything else. He has done La Marmotte loads of times & knows the course very well, I have signed up for his La Marmotte package next year & can't wait! It's worth getting in touch at least.

http://www.colconquerors.com/la-marmotte.php
  • ManxShred wrote:
    Classic cycling tours. I went with them last year, and going again next year.

+1 for CCT, I won't be there in 2014 unfortunately but next time I do Marmotte I'll use them again.
  • I got a e mail from the tour guide I'm using saying that I need a doctors certificate or a race licence copy. Is a fourth cat licence ok? Hopefully I will be a third by the time of the event.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Yes the Marmotte always used to accept any BC licence - sounds like they still do though I thought there was some talk of them demanding a medical certificate like most other French sportives seem to.
  • As always, accommodation is proving to be a pain....

Edit - now sorted and staying up in ADH :)
  • The registration was extremely thorough with ID checks and medical certificate inspections.

That's interesting. The three years I've Marmotted (2011-2013) I've just handed over my letter saying that my registration was "complet" (i.e. they'd seen a medical certificate/licence I'd emailed previously) and got my bag with number, chips etc. without having to produce any other documentation.

I guess you managed to find one of the few "jobsworths" that day!
  • DeVlaeminck
    Last year one of our group couldn't make it, someone else with us went up to the desk said he can't be here to register and they gave him the entry without any paperwork at all. He then gave the entry to a guy who had travelled but hadn't entered and hadn't intended riding it.

I'm pretty certain the entry wasn't even completed as the guy pulled out early and didn't have a BC licence - I wouldn't rely on them being that slack but yeah hand them the letter of registration and they've always been fine with that.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Slightly different subject and maybe more suited for "buying advice", but what the hell.

On Marmotte last year the pack included a couple of very small and light LED lights. The battery life seems OK and they're great as a secondary helmet light. Has anyone seen them for sale anywhere? I imagine they're pretty cheap, but I've only seen larger versions of them (at Clas Ohlson and the like).
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    shmooster wrote:
    Slightly different subject and maybe more suited for "buying advice", but what the hell.

On Marmotte last year the pack included a couple of very small and light LED lights. The battery life seems OK and they're great as a secondary helmet light. Has anyone seen them for sale anywhere? I imagine they're pretty cheap, but I've only seen larger versions of them (at Clas Ohlson and the like).

Not the same, but Knog Frogs are good for this purpose, ie back-up "be seen" light.
  • A bump for this thread given that we're less than 2 months away.

Who's in?
  • mf123456
    mf123456 Posts: 14
    I'm in.

Where's everyone else? At The Grand Depart?
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    I'm in. Raring to go & can't wait! I have no idea where I will be staying, I am going with Col Conquerors & it is all sorted for me. Got a few days riding before hand in the Alps so I can get my alpine legs on!
  • I'm staying in Alpe d'Huez somewhere - going with Craig from Veloventoux. Got some time in Provence coming up soon, so final training will involve trying to join the Cingles club of the Ventoux
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    I'm back this year with Classic cycling again. Last year was my first, and my first time in the alps, so I took it too easy not knowing what to expect. I had a great time and took lots of photos, but this year I want to push on a bit.