Marmotte 2014

Comments

• grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    It is going to be showers, probably not torrential rain. The weather in both the Bourg and Maurienne valleys is so changeable as well that I wouldn't lose hope just yet. Besides having ridden the end of the Marmotte on the Alpe in 35 - 40°C heat several years I would quite welcome some cooler weather.

Tempted to buy a Castelli Gabba.
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    What mud guards for La Marmotte?
  • I would be very happy with cooler weather and showers. So many differing forecasts...one says 35C for Friday, 26C for sat and 31C for Sunday....far too hot for me
  • grimpeur
    You really do not want rain on the descent of the Glandon.

I also really hope that no one on this forum is thinking of riding the event with carbon rims. They are bad enough on mountain descents in dry conditions, in rain they are just plain dangerous. Ride your best set of alloy clinchers and you will have an event free day.
  • manxshred
    Disc brakes for the win!
  • gavinbay
    gavinbay Posts: 144
    Guys in the mountains there is no such thing as an accurate forecast, even if high pressure takes hold there will still be the threat of afternoon thunderstorms, and then that is a real lottery as to whether you will get caught in one.

French have a word for this type of weather (in that they are not too sure what it will be) - mitigé !

I live in Serre Chevalier for six months of the year, and do take a serious interest in weather conditions, and in the winter season when ski touring that means you have to assess avalanche predictability, which is very important to planning where to go and the like, basically very complex, and people unfortunately no matter how good they are do come unstuck.

Out of all the various forecast models I find this one to be one of the best, giving you a number of options http://www.meteociel.fr/previsions/1900 ... _alpes.htm

Today was interesting in that it was the first day of the Cols Reserve, when they close a different Col each day to motorised traffic from 09:00 to Noon.

After yesterday which saw heavy rain for most of the morning to coincide for a major sportive event (I passed on that) today started off not looking too good, but clouds cleared and we had sunshine but atop the Col Agnel (2,744) it was feckin cold as you can see from the guys wrapped up.

Going up was fine as you're working hard, but wrap up as soon as you get to the top. As people have already mentioned better for it to be on the cooler side than 30+ which is was atop the Galibier last year on the Marmot.

20140630_101203.jpg

And how's this for an impromptu layer

20140630_120003.jpg

So it will only be on Friday when you can get a more accurate picture of what the weather might have in store.

I have ten people coming out to do Galibier (Thurs), Granon (Fri) and a loop taking in Izoard (Sat) and they too are getting wound up by the forecasts and most of them should know better as they all spend a lot of time in the mountains.

And if you want to see what the weather is like I have a WeatherCam at my house which is 15km down from Lautaret towards Izoard http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrecheva ... ercam.html
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    What is it with everyone wanting cool weather ! If I was doing it this time I'd be hoping for more of what we had last year.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • grimpeur
    To quantify cool, mid to high twenties would be nice.

Having ridden the final climb of the Alpe during the Marmotte in high thirties it is not a pleasant experience. On a warm summers day Bourg is like an oven in the afternoon.
  • gavinbay
    What is it with everyone wanting cool weather ! If I was doing it this time I'd be hoping for more of what we had last year.

Because many people (especially those of a larger frame), me included don't do heat very well - it can really sap the energy out of you, a 7% gradient in the heat is like 12%.

Conditions perfect today for the second day of the Cols Réservés, today was the Izoard.

Tomorrow's forecast not looking too good (very wet), so we'll see what we actually get.

Only a small Col tomorrow (Echelles) so if it wet, drive to the start, whiz up the Col and back down, should only be an hour max, that way get the Brevet signed off.
  • JSS
    JSS Posts: 55
    Got my dossard number....8377. And there I was thinking there were only 7000 riders!

No punctures early on, I hope...
  • gavinbay
    Weather grim today - started raining very heavy last night circa 22:00 and cloud level at 1,500m

webcam0207.jpg

Anyway better to get this weather out of the way before Sat - tomorrow looking good, have Galibier scheduled with a group of mates, Friday currently wet again :(
  • manxshred
    Cyclist dies on Alpe descent

Be careful out there
  • ManxShred wrote:
    Cyclist dies on Alpe descent

Be careful out there

There is a dreadful irony about someone coming from the UK to cycle in France, and then been killed by a British motorist whilst here but, in my experience, British drivers over here are to be avoided even more than they are in the UK, especially the groups of British 'car enthusiasts' one sees racing each other over the high passes in sports cars every summer.

It would be interesting to learn whether the motorist involved in this death was a temporary visitor or wholly / partially resident in France, and if they were resident whether they were on the road legally. The most common scam British drivers pull over here is to bring a car over and never re-register it on French plates, as is a legal requirement after 3 months. Instead they apparently register it on a SORN notice in the UK whilst using the vehicle in France, which is itself illegal. They generally have no valid VED disc, or one that is months to years out of date. In turn they usually have no French Control Technique ('MOT') sticker, or French insurance sticker. In fact, I can't see how any insurance they might have would even be valid, given the lack of a current UK Mot and so forth. In the ski areas around my way at least half of the UK-plated cars ones sees will fit this description. I have even seen Brit vehicles associated with the businesses that they run over here, including minibuses, that pull the old 'UK plates, no VED scam'.

I have had the misfortune to work with a few fellow British immigrants (although the arrogance of the average Brit does not allow them to see themselves as immigrants, rather they are apparently something called an 'ex-pat') and many of them seem to see the 'UK plates' scam as being the perfect way to avoid speeding fines and so on. As well as believing that French law doesn't apply the them, their attitude to cyclists also tends to be be very 'Daily Mail'... Of course, mention 'East Europeans' working in the UK and one of the first things they will rant on about is how they run their cars on foreign plates and don't pay 'road tax' and how the police should do something about it!
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • What is it with everyone wanting cool weather ! If I was doing it this time I'd be hoping for more of what we had last year.

2012 was just about perfect weather-wise for me. Last year was a bit warm, but I'd much sooner have that than cold and wet.

Good luck to all "Marmotteers". I've done it for the last three years but not this year, and I'm thoroughly enjoying being fat (relatively) and not worrying about the weather this year! I hope everyone stays safe on the descents.
  • DeVlaeminck
    There were people moaning about the heat in 2012 too and in 2011. I do see how last year wasn't optimum for a fast time but it adds a bit to the challenge and personally I think the heat only really affected me on the Alpe when I was glad of a local pouring a bottle of water over my head TdF style. There was someone earlier on hoping for showers though - I climbed the Galibier on an overcast day in late August last year and by the top it was a hail storm - luckily we had a car to get into at the top but for me that would put a real downer on the Marmotte.
  • JSS
    Got a new number (thanks to my local connections)....463.

Which is a bit nearer the front than I think I should be (about 3000 places nearer).
  • Very surprised that no one has posted since Saturday.

In Lyon airport waiting on flight home. Proudly wearing a La Marmotte tee-shirt as I finally did it on Saturday. Last year was a nightmare for me and I melted in the 40c heat - to such an extent I got an injection in the bum from a doctor near the top of Galibier...was asked to withdraw but carried on to Bourg before finally collapsing in the medical tent there. Obviously not as warm this year although quite hot going up the Alpe.

This year did not have its lack of stress though. Despite flying on Thursday BA somehow managed to lose my bike bag...and all my clothes....they located it on Friday, flew it to Lyon in the afternoon and guaranteed delivery to Alpe D'Huez that evening. Well, I waited up til 1.30 am and finally accepted that it was not coming...Cyclomundo were brilliant to me and gave me a spare hire bike that someone did not need...shoes clothes and helmet were borrowed from mechanics, competitors and I was able to take part. I treated my self to a 30 rear ring for my birthday...purely with Galibier and Alpe D'Huez in mind...the hire bike was a 27......great ! There is definitely irony that my bike was in the back of a car travelling up Alpe D'Huez two years in a row during the event..... It was really tough but I knew this year that I was going to make it...a wee bit lighter and possibly fitter than last year...my only vomiting this year was on corner number 3. Finishing was my goal but I was happy with a silver medal and boy does success feel fantastic when you have previously known failure

Hope everyone had a good day and are as delighted as I am today
  • I managed to steal triumph from the jaws of disaster thanks to a very helpful gent.

Had a great ascent/descent of Glandon and everything was going well until a spoke broke on the highway to St Michel. Managed to twist it into the other spokes to keep it secure, but the wheel was so out-of-true that it wouldn't fit between the chainstays and I was staring abandonment in the face.

Then an actual good samaritan called Phil stopped as I was looking so dejected and lent me his spoke key so that I could straighten the wheel enough to limp to the Mavic service station at Valloire. Managed to get there after a very wobbly descent of the Telegraphe, and they fixed the spoke and trued the wheel so I could continue.

Took my time from then on and enjoyed the day hugely.

I never saw Phil again after the foot of the Telegraphe, so if you happen to read this mate, PM me as at the very least you are owed a bottle of something very nice. Annoyed with myself for not getting your race number so that I could track you down, because you're a legend!
  • DeVlaeminck
    Well done chaps
  • grimpeur
    Continuing the theme, my chain broke half way up the Glandon. Thankfully I had a small chain tool with me and was able to remove the offending two broken links and re-join the chain. I considered packing at that point as I was worried it might break again. I persevered though and despite constant odd noises from the chain i made it round in 7h33m despite the 15mins spent at the side of the road swearing with greasy hands.

This year was definitely one for PB's as the conditions were much easier on the Alpe than previous years.

Well done all who took part.
  • BenderRodriguez
    BenderRodriguez Posts: 907
    edited February 2015
    So, that's my first Marmotte over. Had a broken spoke so missed my target time of 8 hours by a few minutes. Still, there's always next year.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    I had a really great time, although the Alpe is a bit of a blur to be honest! I have done each climb a few times before but this was my first time doing them all at once in La Marmotte, it was a tough day! I managed to finish in 7h45m, so very happy with that, considering I only got back on the bike late Feb after serious head injuries, but I would have been happy to to finish it in any time, but my training has paid off gladly!

Well done to all who finished, it is a fantastic achievement. So glad the weather turned out ok, a few days earlier it was zero degrees on top of the Galibier & i was near hypothermic coming off the descent! Gladly I was rescued by a hot choc & a blanket in La Brasserie at the bottom of the Lauteret side of the descent. But thats another story...

Chapeau all!
  • manxshred
    I had a much better day than last year. I did a 8:38 with no real problems except for the inability to eat or drink from about turn 13 on the Alpe. But it didn't really slow me down much.

I also ended up doing over 70km on Sunday up the Ornon and the back road up to Huez Village from the base of the Glandon. That wasn't too bright.
  • The poor weather seems to have returned to the Alps. Today it is just above freezing on the Galibier with rain and sleet, and some snow is likely tomorrow. Thank goodness that it turned out fine for the weekend.
  • Ankles50
    Ankles50 Posts: 53
    BenderRodriguez - Do one of the 1 day classics, cobbles make for a very different challenge indeed, or if you like the climbs Mont Blanc Sportive is apparently pretty brutal
  • manxshred
    Bender, if you can do that time with not much specific training, then if you went for it, you could get a much better time.
    This year I did a much faster time than previously, and noticed a few things.
    Starting nearer the front makes a big difference to the over time. I did push a bit more up the Glandon, then found that the groups in the valley were a lot more organised, with better riders (ie safer) and much faster.
    It also meant that the descent off of the Galibier was with better riders and groups so my time along there was much better.

But, although I think I could improve my time a bit, I'm also looking for new challenges next year, although a lot of the events seem a bit anti-climatic after having done the Marmotte. But, the Orbea Pax Avant looks interesting in terms of length and difficulty.
  • JSS
    Great Marmotte ride report from someone riding it for the first time (and completing in just under 12 hours). Can't quite believe he did it on a Specalised Sectaur with mtb shoes!

http://www.sportive.com/la-marmotte/514 ... t-marmotte
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    I really enjoyed the day and experience, getting round in 9.51 (i'm heavier than average!). Great day though!

Are split times across the various timing mats ever posted?
  • mf123456
    mf123456 Posts: 14
    Well done everyone!

What a day! Never before have I smelled melting rubber from braking on a cycling descent, nor have I experienced such a grinfest as the Galibier to Bourg D'Oisons section of road.

I can add to the preparations of woe.

My friend snapped his rear mech hanger in a BikeBoxAlan, proving they're not infallable (user error?), so he spent the Friday hunting for a new one, and then for a hire bike. He's buying 2 hangers this week.

My bike made it fine, but when I was cutting the cable ties around my bike with a penknife, I sliced the end off my finger! I then spent the next couple of hours in the medical centre in Allemond to get it stitched back on, wondering if it would hurt when I rode, and if I'd need painkillers.

It turns out neither of these events affected us too badly. The roll down ADH in the morning was an eyeopener into how many inexperienced riders there are. Why do people need to drag their brakes down a mountain? Despite the cool cloudy weather, and slightly damp road, I still heard 2 tyres pop. Get off the brakes until the corners!

Organisers - its criminal to not provide toilets. The river through BDO had a much higher water level, and many more pooh sticks than normal. We knew the score though, so it wasn't a surprise - its just poor.

I was in the 4000+ group, but the Glandon feed was nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe on here. Filled bottles, got gels, cake, fruit, had a scenic toilet trip, and cracked on no problem. Thanks to hypsters times, I knew I was inside a gold time at this point.

The Glandon descent was awesome - what a wonderful twisty road! It was marshalled excellently with flag wavers on the dangerous parts, and after 4 or 5 turns I managed to get on the wheel of a quite tidy rider, and followed him past all of the brake draggers.

By the top of Galibier, I think I was still ahead of gold, but wasnt sure due to my Garmin pausing during water stops, and not being 100% sure of when I rolled out of BDO.

The first tunnel on the descent of Galibier was a shocker - the road surface was poor, and my photochromatic lenses weren't up to my expectations! After that, I dipped my glasses on other tnnels, and all was well. What a truely beautiful descent. By the time we got to the flat, we'd accumulated a decent group of about 40 riders, so we kept quite a fast pace to the foot of the Alpe.

Based on my calculations, I thought I'd somehow dropped 10 mins behind gold, so dug in up the Alpe despite feeling tired, and my Garmin reading 35 degrees on turn 19. I paused to empty 2 bidons of water over my head at dutch corner, and emptied 4 gels down my nexk over the next few bends. Sugared up to the eyeballs I finished quite strongly, and thought I'd reduced my deficit to 4 mins. Turns out my maths was crap, and I was 7 mins under.

Very very pleased with that, as my expections when I entererd were to just complete it, then to make silver, so I'm hugley proud to make a gold time. Thanks to everyone on here for the info on times for UK sportives vs La Marmotte, and all the advice on the route.

Afterwards, my recovery was sitting with a beer cheering other riders in!