CAAD10 vs. SuperSix EVO

Comments

• simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    695g is the claimed weight of the original EVO frame ie the HIMOD version, definitely not the non HM version, the resellers website is wrong. They also say its one of the lightest production frames, are they saying lighter than the HM or NANO (which I think is a HM with thin paint).
  • Paul's had a couple of 2011 54cm hi mod frames for a bargain-tastic 899, one of which now resides chez Bobby.
    Great frame, great price, if that's your size.
  • It looks Primera have copied and pasted from the Cannondale site: (http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/catalog/product/view/id/31343/s/supersix-evo-black-inc/category/916/)
    THE SUPERSIX EVO IS:
    LIGHT: At under 700 grams, it is the lightest production frame in the world.
    STIFF: It has the best stiffness-to-weight ever recorded, an incredible 142.3 Nm/deg/kg.
    STRONG: Outperforms even most aluminum frames in destructive and fatigue testing.
    SMOOTH: The two zone SPEED SAVE micro-suspension system improves comfort, speed, and control.
    SLIM: EVO's smaller diameter tubes give it a significant aero advantage over its oversized competitors, without the weight and stiffness compromises of aero tube shapes.

TECHNOLOGIES
    BallisTec Carbon
    Cannondale's High Strength carbon construction method allows us to achieve extreme light weight, without sacrificing stiffness or strength.
    EVO Frame Options
    EVO Nano: The lightest production frame on the planet utilizes advanced high modulus BallisTec Construction and nano tech resins for maximum weight savings.
    EVO Hi-MOD:
    The frame that started it all in 2012. High modulus BallisTec construction delivers extreme light weight and stiffness.
    EVO Carbon: By using a higher percentage of intermediate-modulus fiber to tune the stiffness, we are able to expand the EVO line with a super high-performance, sub-950 gram frame. Offered both with and without internal rear brake routing.
    SPEED SAVE
    Micro-Suspension Rear Stays Subtle flex zones built into the chainstays and seatstays allow the rear wheel to track the ground, improving speed, handling and comfort. Tuned to work with the SPEED SAVE Fork.
    SPEED SAVE Fork This 315 gram fork features full BallisTec carbon construction, an 1-1/8"to 1-1/4" tapered steerer for the best balance of weight and stiffness, and offset dropouts, which allow for more fork angle and compliance without affecting handling.
    Reduced Frontal Area
    Compared to the oversized competition, the EVO's downtube is close to 20% smaller, the headtube 11% smaller, and the fork blades 15% thinner. This means less frontal area and less drag. In fact, tests show that EVO has a mere 14g more drag than the best "aero" frames without their added weight and harsh ride.
    Continuous Carbon
    A continuous network of high modulus stiffening fibers runs around joint areas and along the outer edges of the frames tubes, connecting all parts of the frame and allowing precise tuning of stiffness and ride quality.

Cannondale have that opening paragraph (stating the 700g weight) on every model from the SuperSix EVO 6 105 to the SuperSix EVO Black Inc.!
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    So we're none the wiser. Basically Buddha, it's a bargain at Paul's. It's a great bike and personally speaking, having owed a CAAD5 and CAAD8 and ridden a CAAD10 for a week, i'd buy the EVO over the CAAD all day long.

Post some pics when you've done it!
  • simonj
    Found this relating to the 2014 frames :-

"The entry-level BallisTec Carbon frame uses a higher percentage of intermediate-modulus carbon fibres, the mid-grade BallisTec Hi-Mod uses more high and ultra-modulus carbon fibres to significantly drop the frame weight without sacrificing stiffness, and the range-topping BallisTec Nano uses nano-particle-infused resin to create a super-light – and super-expensive – frame. Claimed frame weights are sub-700g, 750g and 1,110g respectively"

To me that says :-
    2014 Nano = 700g (marketing grabbed the headlines at 695g to beat other manufacturers)
    2014 Hi-mod = 750g
    2014 Std =1110g

Article can be found here :-
    http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/cannondal ... -look.html

I did also read that the 2013 EVO non-Himod was around 950g, so that would tie in with the 2013 frame being a cheaper/heavier option. Article here :-
    http://road.cc/content/news/61231-canno ... -evo-black

Either way great bike, get on and order it and show us a picture. 2014 Std non-himod is a lesser frame than the 2013 non-himod, 1110g (external cabling) vs 950g (internal cabling).
  • simonj wrote:

"The entry-level BallisTec Carbon frame uses a higher percentage of intermediate-modulus carbon fibres, the mid-grade BallisTec Hi-Mod uses more high and ultra-modulus carbon fibres to significantly drop the frame weight without sacrificing stiffness, and the range-topping BallisTec Nano uses nano-particle-infused resin to create a super-light – and super-expensive – frame. Claimed frame weights are sub-700g, 750g and 1,110g respectively"

2014 Nano = 700g (marketing grabbed the headlines at 695g to beat other manufacturers)
    2014 Hi-mod = 750g
    2014 Std =1110g

I did also read that the 2013 EVO non-Himod was around 950g, so that would tie in with the 2013 frame being a cheaper/heavier option. Article here :-

Either way great bike, get on and order it and show us a picture. 2014 Std non-himod is a lesser frame than the 2013 non-himod, 1110g (external cabling) vs 950g (internal cabling).

^^ this is correct

The only 700g frame is the Nano and that has no paint. Once you start adding paint, especially white paint, the weight goes up by between 50 and 100g
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    simonj wrote:

2014 Hi-mod = 750g
    2014 Std =1110g

^^ this is correct

The only 700g frame is the Nano and that has no paint. Once you start adding paint, especially white paint, the weight goes up by between 50 and 100g

And it woudl seem as though the mystery is solved. The chaps at work weighed mine without forks at just over 700g. I believe the fork is around 350g, whcih would put my 2013 EVO Red frame at around 1100g. Bonza.
  • I still haven't decided! I know the EVO Red is the better bike and will offer me the better ride, but for some reason I can't get the CAAD10 Black Inc. out my head.

The stealthy look, the aluminium heritage of Cannondale and the electric shifting - all factors that are stopping me press the order button on the EVO Red.

Argh!
  • First poster here after reading the boards for a while.

This thread caught my eye as I've just been through this (kind of) Buddha and ended up getting the Caad10 2014 Black Inc a couple of months back.
    It's not available here in the U.K , but I ended up picking it up from thebikeshop.de for a €2666 or just under £2300.
    I can't recommend them or the bike enough. I emailed them regarding the Caad10 Ultegra 2014 and the Caad10 Black Inc.
    The price Daniel(bikeshop) gave me on the Black Inc was too good a deal to turn down. Their communication was excellent and the bike arrived ready to go , bar putting the handlebar and front wheel on etc.

I think if memory serves me correct , you get you get a better wheelset,cranks and a lighter (if that's your muse) top end groupset with the sram red22 over the 2013 Black Inc. I haven't used electronic shifting so can't comment on it at all. There is a thread on here http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12792836
    Obviously it's £300 more than the Pauls deal , but well worth considering in my opinion.
    I too was looking at the Pauls deal and was waiting on the Black Ultegra 2014 Caad10 to come out before making a decision , but they never released it here in the U.K. This lead me to Europe.

I don't think there is much in it between all three bikes , I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose.
    :)
  • Westbrooks have the Caad10 in frame only black anodised for £799 pre-order

Its too good a frame to put Di2 on it.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • First poster here after reading the boards for a while.

This thread caught my eye as I've just been through this (kind of) Buddha and ended up getting the Caad10 2014 Black Inc a couple of months back.
    It's not available here in the U.K , but I ended up picking it up from thebikeshop.de for a €2666 or just under £2300.
    I can't recommend them or the bike enough. I emailed them regarding the Caad10 Ultegra 2014 and the Caad10 Black Inc.
    The price Daniel(bikeshop) gave me on the Black Inc was too good a deal to turn down. Their communication was excellent and the bike arrived ready to go , bar putting the handlebar and front wheel on etc.

I think if memory serves me correct , you get you get a better wheelset,cranks and a lighter (if that's your muse) top end groupset with the sram red22 over the 2013 Black Inc. I haven't used electronic shifting so can't comment on it at all. There is a thread on here http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12792836
    Obviously it's £300 more than the Pauls deal , but well worth considering in my opinion.
    I too was looking at the Pauls deal and was waiting on the Black Ultegra 2014 Caad10 to come out before making a decision , but they never released it here in the U.K. This lead me to Europe.

I don't think there is much in it between all three bikes , I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

Thanks for the reply and advice - very helpful :)

I had not heard of thebikeshop.de before you mentioned it - looks like they have a great selection of Cannondale bikes. The 2014 CAAD10 Black Inc. is definitely another one to consider! May I ask how you got them so down in price? The listed price is 3199€ - so quite a bit more than the 2,666€ you paid (533€). I do see in their description they state 'we appreciate any enquiries to supply you a personal offer' - is that how you approached them?

Did the price you paid include delivery and any tax/custom charges (if any apply from Germany)? How long did the shipping take?

Sorry for all the questions - very interested!
  • Westbrooks have the Caad10 in frame only black anodised for £799 pre-order

Its too good a frame to put Di2 on it.

May I ask your reasoning in why it is too good a frame for Di2? Obviously it is one of (if not the) best aluminium frame available - but the Di2 groupset is relatively top end!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I would have thought the CAAD10 isn't good enough for Di2. I certainly wouldn't put it on any alu frame .....
  • Maybe if I post about my riding style and habits I can get some more feedback between the two bikes...

- The majority of my rides will be 30 miles or less, but there will be the odd ride where I will go over this

- I like to ride fast (within reason) - and will be wanting to beat some KOM where I can!

- The area around me isn't the most hilly. Some hills yeah, but no crazy climbs

- I'm a weight weenie at heart - so the lighter the better

- The less maintenance the better
  • simonj
    I'd say hills and weight weenie mean go light carbon, go mechanical, go Red!! I'd say low maint sometimes can means do not go BB30 - so maybe not Cannondale, although having said that, I have 3 bikes with BB30 and if you take the time to learn to pull it apart clean it out and relube (10-20 mins) when it makes a noise then it's not an issue and certainly not that hard to keep quiet, although maybe a little more effort than traditional BB's.
  • My interpretation on my preferences:
    Distance - 30miles or less, no real difference between the two. 30mph+ EVO Red due to comfort
    Speed - no real difference between the two
    Not many hills - no real difference between the two
    Light - EVO Red
    Less maintenance - CAAD10 Black Inc.

So pretty much even, maybe the EVO Red sneaking ahead.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    By the time you come to a decision, both models will be sold out! :wink:
  • simonj wrote:
    I'd say hills and weight weenie mean go light carbon, go mechanical, go Red!! I'd say low maint sometimes can means do not go BB30 - so maybe not Cannondale, although having said that, I have 3 bikes with BB30 and if you take the time to learn to pull it apart clean it out and relube (10-20 mins) when it makes a noise then it's not an issue and certainly not that hard to keep quiet, although maybe a little more effort than traditional BB's.
    Agree that BB30 is screwed, but not PF30.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Paul's cycles have the 2012 evo frameset for £1500, it is the real deal evo at a weight of 695g.
  • BuddhaUK wrote:
    First poster here after reading the boards for a while.

Thanks for the reply and advice - very helpful :)

I had not heard of thebikeshop.de before you mentioned it - looks like they have a great selection of Cannondale bikes. The 2014 CAAD10 Black Inc. is definitely another one to consider! May I ask how you got them so down in price? The listed price is 3199€ - so quite a bit more than the 2,666€ you paid (533€). I do see in their description they state 'we appreciate any enquiries to supply you a personal offer' - is that how you approached them?

Did the price you paid include delivery and any tax/custom charges (if any apply from Germany)? How long did the shipping take?

Sorry for all the questions - very interested!

No worries.
    Yes I just emailed him asking about prices and stock levels and he came back with the offer below. I think that's what they mean with the 'email us for a personal offer' on the website.
    I've dug out the email . This is from copied from his email .
    Special offer only vaild within the next two weeks: (this meant his offer lasted for two weeks for me to decide)
    1649 Euro CAAD10 3 Ultegra black BLA
    2749 Euro CAAD10 BLACK INC BLE 2014
    Shipping to the UK would be for free.
    They then also offer a further 3% discount (€82.47) if you wire the money directly to their bank avoiding credit card/paypal charges. It seems they are happy to pass that onto the customer.
    This brought my Price down to €2,666.

Shipping was free via DHL Germany and then delivered by Royal mail this end. Shipping was pretty quick , once they shipped it ,4 days.
    There was no tax/custom charges , I don't know why. Maybe I got lucky or maybe EU trade.
    In the past I've always been stung when stuff has come in from the U.S but never Europe.

I would say looking at your post further down about usage.
    I'd definitely go with the 2014 Caad10 Black Inc or the EVO.
    2014 Caad V 2013 Caad - Red22 lighter and less hassle than Di2 if it goes wrong.
    The 2014 Caad10 Black Inc is lighter than most bikes bar the Hi-Mod Super Six EVO and Blac Inc Super SIx
    Coming in at 6.82kg! Have a look here. http://www.bub-usbikes.de/_B&B-Shop-Cannondale/Cannondale_weight_2014.pdf
    Aesthetically for me it's the Caad10 Black Inc over the EVO , but horses for courses and all that.

Good Luck! with whatever you choose.
  • Thanks for the above - will be getting in contact tomorrow!
  • BuddhaUK, how did you get on with this. I have exactly the same predicament but one frame size smaller.

Caddybrompton, Do you know how warranty handled if there's issues with the BB30 etc if the bike is bought from Germany?
    StravaTrainerRoad
    Triban 3: Red ● CAAD10-3: Black (2014)
  • simonj
    There should be no warrantee issue with the BB30, it may just need cleaning and greasing up again every so often.
  • 3013buz wrote:
    BuddhaUK, how did you get on with this. I have exactly the same predicament but one frame size smaller.

Caddybrompton, Do you know how warranty handled if there's issues with the BB30 etc if the bike is bought from Germany?

To be honest - I've still not made a decision. I think I am steering away from the CAAD10 Black Inc. 2013 - due to the Ultergra Di2 being (from what I have read) vastly improved in this years version.

But I am still stuck between a mechanical CAAD10 or a SuperSix Evo. Need to weigh up the savings to be had with the CAAD10 - and if carbon will be really make a big difference for my style of riding.

Leaning towards a CAAD10 I think!
  • 3013buz wrote:
    BuddhaUK, how did you get on with this. I have exactly the same predicament but one frame size smaller.

Yes had thought about that when buying. I spoke with CSG (Cannondale Distrib) here in the U.K about the release of the Ultegra and Black Inc and availability here in the U.K before I purchased in Germany. They mentioned if there was problems then it may be possible to send to them. I don't really want to be having to ship back to Germany if there is an issue although that maybe what would have to happen. I can't say 100% what would happen a bit of a grey area. I guess it depends how helpful CSG U.K would be and whether they would be willing to take it back on behalf of their European office.
  • I did 3000 miles on my CAAD10 without a hitch, BB30 problems are overegged.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    giant man wrote:
    I would have thought the CAAD10 isn't good enough for Di2. I certainly wouldn't put it on any alu frame .....
    This is the kind of cobblers that has me dispairing of some of the advise offered on biking forums.

:roll:
  • Thanks for the replies.

After contemplating since the 2014 bikes came out and with an e-mail today saying an extra 10% off sale bike prices at Evans I pulled the trigger at lunch time on a 2013 CAAD105 which I've hankered after since this time last year when I decided to buy a Triban 3 incase my want for a bike was a fad. Having had a good think about the two I couldn't justify in my head why I possibly needed to spend £2400 on the SuperSix Evo red from Paul's. I only ride recreationally after all. 10 days to wait.
    StravaTrainerRoad
    Triban 3: Red ● CAAD10-3: Black (2014)
  • Decided to go for a CAAD10 Ultegra (I think!). Well within budget, light, and potential to upgrade components if needed.

The two colourways I like are:
    2013 version (I believe) in black and raw aluminium - but can't seem to find for sale anywhere?
    Cadd10_Ultegra_Colour2.jpg

And 2014 version in full anodized black - which have only seen here http://www.thebikeshop.de/epages/62303450.mobile/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62303450/Products/CAY4C103BLA/SubProducts/CAY4C103BLA&Locale=en_GB

Does anyone know where I can pick up the 2013 version in black/raw? Also any UK shops selling the 2014 version in that colourway?
  • That raw aluminium looks very good in the flesh. Cadence Cycles in Bath had a couple