CAAD10 vs. SuperSix EVO

BuddhaUK
BuddhaUK Posts: 24
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Long time lurker, first time poster!

High-end aluminium frame vs. entry-level carbon frame - I’m sure this has been covered a million times – so apologies in advance! However, in this instance I am stuck between (one of) the highest rated aluminium frames, the Cannondale CAAD10, and the (from what I have read) highly rated Cannondale SuperSix EVO.

The (2013) CAAD10 is equipped with the Ultegra Di2 6770 groupset and Shimano Ultegra 6700 wheelset. The (2013) SuperSix EVO costs £400 more, and is equipped with SRAM Red and Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S wheelset. The £400 difference is likely to be used on upgrading the wheelset on the CAAD10 – meaning that nothing would need to be upgraded after that.

I know the general consensus is to buy the best frame you can - as it is cheaper and easier to upgrade components. I'm not really one to upgrade though. I want my bike to be the best it can be from day 1, and only have the need to buy any components when something needs replacing.

So what is the better bike? Would I regret not going carbon at the £2,000+ price mark? Or with such a good aluminium frame, is it not too much of an issue?

Comments

• Test ride both. Buy the one you liked the most. The end. ;)
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The Supersix EVO frame you refer to above is not an entry level carbon frame. I am assuming that you are referencing the Pauls cycles website. If I was you I would try the bikes out then decide. I would try EPIC cycles in Ludlow as they may change the spec of a bike to suit your purpose (I was able to do this when I bought a bike off them).
  • denniskwok wrote:
    Test ride both. Buy the one you liked the most. The end. ;)

I've ridden a CAAD10 before (not Ultegra Di2), and loved it. It was the 2012 frame - not sure if anything changed in the 2013 version? I've also ridden a carbon Cannondale with SRAM Red before, but only for a short time - and to be honest didn't notice too much (if any) difference in the comfort quality over the aluminium CAAD10.

The problem with test rides, and my shortish experience with both aluminium and carbon Cannondales, is that you do not get a true feel of the comfort and ride quality of a bike until you do hours on the saddle. That's why I was asking here :) would be great to get some feedback from owners and/or people who have had plenty of saddle time on both.
  • letap73 wrote:
    The Supersix EVO frame you refer to above is not an entry level carbon frame. I am assuming that you are referencing the Pauls cycles website. If I was you I would try the bikes out then decide. I would try EPIC cycles in Ludlow as they may change the spec of a bike to suit your purpose (I was able to do this when I bought a bike off them).

Yeah, Pauls Cycles is the website I'm referring too. I suppose it is not entry-level compared to other brand and non-brand Chinese carbon frames. What I meant is that it is the entry-level SuperSix carbon frame. I would love to go somewhere like Epic Cycles - but unfortunately too far of a journey!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    BuddhaUK wrote:
    Yeah, Pauls Cycles is the website I'm referring too. I suppose it is not entry-level compared to other brand and non-brand Chinese carbon frames.

The evo is not even entry level compared to cannondales own carbon frames.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73
    smidsy wrote:
    BuddhaUK wrote:
    Yeah, Pauls Cycles is the website I'm referring too. I suppose it is not entry-level compared to other brand and non-brand Chinese carbon frames.

The evo is not even entry level compared to cannondales own carbon frames.

For the 2013 range you are right.
    For the 2014 range he is right, the base EVO is £1699 which explains the large reductions for the 2013 models.
  • See now I am even more confused ha!

The bike in question is: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b65s6p5164. So is this frame not the entry-level (to the SuperSix range) as used on this years SuperSix EVO 6 105 http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/catalog/product/view/id/31488/s/supersix-evo-6-105/category/916/
  • smidsy
    letap73 wrote:
    For the 2013 range you are right. For the 2014 range he is right,

As we do not have a time machine I am the only one who is right :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b65s6p5164

Buy that one, it's lovely, it's not got Shimano on it, and chances are they will have your size in either colour scheme in stock.

Right, glad that's sorted. Next.
  • BuddhaUK
    BuddhaUK Posts: 24
    edited October 2013
    mfin wrote:
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b65s6p5164

Buy that one, it's lovely, it's not got Shimano on it, and chances are they will have your size in either colour scheme in stock.

Right, glad that's sorted. Next.

That is the exact one I linked to, two posts up from yours and also mentioned in the first post. You're right it is lovely, but it's not sorted yet - because I have some queries which I was looking to get advice for.

What is the difference between the 2013 SuperSix EVO frame, and the entry-level 2014 SuperSix EVO frame? (I've tried googling, but cannot find any definitive answers).

The other bike in question is the 2013 CAAD10 Black Inc. http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5167/CANNONDALE-CAAD10-ULTEGRA-DI2-BLACK-2013
  • smidsy
    Either bike will be a fine frame, you simply need to decide if aluminium or carbon is what you want.

Some think aluminium to be a harsh ride so the only way you will know for sure is to ride both.

Remember though that the BB30 is often pants ,so if you are not totally stuck on Cannondale you could get something that avoids that (potential) issue.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Buy the SRAM Red one. It's a great bike - i have two, which is a long story and not through greed. The EVO you are looking at here (2013) was not the entry level frame. I believe (and i'll stand corrected) that there is SuperSix below it (i.e. no EVO) and then a Hi-Mod above it. It's a £2k frameset so not entry level.

What size are you? As i said, i have two. I have a 54 framset in the matte grey and red that needs a home. It's a bargain potentially but there's a story to it. PM me if you're interested - note that it's framset only.

Either way you won't regret the EVO. In my opinion. And that Paul's price is a pukka bargain.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Either bike will be a fine frame, you simply need to decide if aluminium or carbon is what you want.

Some think aluminium to be a harsh ride so the only way you will know for sure is to ride both.

Remember though that the BB30 is often pants ,so if you are not totally stuck on Cannondale you could get something that avoids that (potential) issue.

What are the issues with the BB30?

To be honest, I've always been a bit of a fan of Cannondales, and with the great offers around for last years models - it would be rude not to!
    djhermer wrote:
    Buy the SRAM Red one. It's a great bike - i have two, which is a long story and not through greed. The EVO you are looking at here (2013) was not the entry level frame. I believe (and i'll stand corrected) that there is SuperSix below it (i.e. no EVO) and then a Hi-Mod above it. It's a £2k frameset so not entry level.

What size are you? As i said, i have two. I have a 54 framset in the matte grey and red that needs a home. It's a bargain potentially but there's a story to it. PM me if you're interested - note that it's framset only.

Either way you won't regret the EVO. In my opinion. And that Paul's price is a pukka bargain.

Ok that clears things up then - definitely not entry level being £2k for the frameset! Do you know roughly how much the frameset weighs out of interest?

I understand that I will need need a 58 frame size. I've ridden a 58 CAAD10, and the sizing seemed right. I believe that the SuperSix has similar sizing? I'm 6'1" with an 88cm inseam.

So unfortunately it looks like the 54 frameset will be too small!
  • djhermer
    BuddhaUK wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

To be honest, I've always been a bit of a fan of Cannondales, and with the great offers around for last years models - it would be rude not to!
    djhermer wrote:

Ok that clears things up then - definitely not entry level being £2k for the frameset! Do you know roughly how much the frameset weighs out of interest?

I understand that I will need need a 58 frame size. I've ridden a 58 CAAD10, and the sizing seemed right. I believe that the SuperSix has similar sizing? I'm 6'1" with an 88cm inseam.

So unfortunately it looks like the 54 frameset will be too small!

BB30 - i've never had issues. Not everyone's cup of tea. Not sure on frameset weight. It's seriously light - there's a review on one of the online sites that calls it the lightest frameset on the market. But that could of course be Cannondale marketing bullshit. I'm sure the exact weights are out there somewhere.

The CAAD10 and SuperSix are identical geometry. So you're a 58!

Enjoy whatever you buy. At that price (Paul's) i'd find that difficult to ignore. I paid full price (£3.5k) in December last year.
  • smidsy
    BuddhaUK wrote:

They can be prone to premature bearing wear and developing annoying squeaking. They rely on having exact tolerences in the BB shell, something that modern 'fast' manufacture/assembly seems to struggle with.

If you get a good one its great, problem is all too often they are pants - Jordan_217 (on here) is a good example of the problem (he has a CAAD10).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Frame is circa 900g I believe. Fork around 350g.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    smidsy wrote:
    BuddhaUK wrote:

They can be prone to premature bearing wear and developing annoying squeaking. They rely on having exact tolerences in the BB shell, something that modern 'fast' manufacture/assembly seems to struggle with.

If you get a good one its great, problem is all too often they are pants - Jordan_217 (on here) is a good example of the problem (he has a CAAD10).

This

9 months of use on my caad8 and the BB30 has caused me no end of annoyance. I love everything else about my bike and would love to buy that exact EVO. It looks amazing and for that price its seems a great deal. But I think I will end up in an asylum if I have to listen to more constant clicking clunking and squeaking !!!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Evil Laugh
    I think it's the same frame as the current 105 version and the next version up is the high mod which is lighter still, then the nano.

The supersix evo is such a nice frame and a definite step up from the caad10. Feels lighter underfoot and is a significantly smoother ride IME.
  • From what a couple of people's comments further up the page - I think that may be the case for this year, but last year it was a better frameset (£2k price tag - which is more than the Shimano 105 EVO this year - £1,700 for the full bike).

However, looking at the price of the 2014 SuperSix EVO Red full bike it has a MSRP of £3,800 - which is more than the original price of the 2013 SuperSix EVO Red according to Pauls Cycles - £3,500.

Confused again :?:
  • djhermer
    BuddhaUK wrote:
    From what a couple of people's comments further up the page - I think that may be the case for this year, but last year it was a better frameset (£2k price tag - which is more than the Shimano 105 EVO this year - £1,700 for the full bike).

However, looking at the price of the 2014 SuperSix EVO Red full bike it has a MSRP of £3,800 - which is more than the original price of the 2013 SuperSix EVO Red according to Pauls Cycles - £3,500.

Confused again :?:

Don't overthink it! The 2014 EVO is not even full 105 - it's a mix of Tiagra with cheapo rims etc. That's why it's cheap by comparison to the Red edition whcih has full SRAM Red and Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels - not amazing, but a £350 wheelset compared to a £100 set.

I may have confused you with the £2k frameset price, whcih as you say doesn't make sense if the 105 complete bike is less than this. £2k was my insurance replacement price :wink: I think the reality (and i don't know) is that if you bought the frameset on its own it would be c.£1.3-£1.5k.

What matters is that the EVO Red from Paul's retailed at £3.5k before the 2014 models arrived (trust me, i paid that price!) and the new model is £3.7k. What's important is that the sale price from Paul's is a bargain. My LBS has one left in a 54 whcih they're trying to get ride of for £3k. So at £2.3k or whatever, it's a steal.

If you can live with teh BB30 risk. To balance that issue, i've never had an issue with 4 different BB30s with a combined mileage of probably 20k.

Just buy it.
  • letap73
    There are three EVO frames:
    1. The Nano.
    2. Himod.
    3. "normal"

The original Paul's cycle EVO you have referenced is the "normal" - frame weight is circa 900g ( This is also the same frameset for the £1699 2014 EVO). The 2k frameset price is the himod frame which apparently has the same ride characteristics but is 695g.

If you really like the CAAD 10 and could not notice the difference on a the Supersix EVO (albeit on a short ride) then I would say go for the CAAD 10. I have the Supersix himod EVO FWIW.
  • a quick trial of CAAD10 vs EVO done by Japanese

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... vocaa.html

10km, 720m of climbing

CAAD10: 39min49s
    EVO: 38min55s

both using the same wheelset.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • djhermer
    letap73 wrote:
    There are three EVO frames:
    1. The Nano.
    2. Himod.
    3. "normal"

The original Paul's cycle EVO you have referenced is the "normal" - frame weight is circa 900g ( This is also the same frameset for the £1699 2014 EVO). The 2k frameset price is the himod frame which apparently has the same ride characteristics but is 695g.

If you really like the CAAD 10 and could not notice the difference on a the Supersix EVO (albeit on a short ride) then I would say go for the CAAD 10. I have the Supersix himod EVO FWIW.

Paul's are also selling the EVO (normal) frameset for £1600 reduced from £2200 which suggest my insurance replacement cost of £2k wasn't far out. As Letap says, there are 3 EVO frames (I forgot about the Nano earlier) but there's also just the straight SuperSix, at least there was in 2013. I'm not up on 2014 models.

So the full SRAM Red SuperSix EVO at £2.3k is even more of a bargain when put against the fact that they're selling just the frame for £1500. A SRAM Red Groupset is well over a grand new, the wheels are over £300. My SuperSix EVO frameset has just been weighed at work and is coming in at just over 700g. This - i believe - is the same frame the OP is on about.

I think for 2013 at least the SuperSix Carbon frame range goes SuperSix - SuperSix EVO - Supersix EVO HI MOD - Supersix EVO Nano.

Clear? As mud.
  • letap73
    In the 2012 range - there was only one Supersix EVO frame - the 695g Himod frame - This is the frame that Pauls cycles is selling for £1499.
    In the 2013 range - three Supersix EVO frames were introduced (as listed above) with different mass but apparently the same ride characteristics. The Pauls cycle offer (SRAM RED) referred to by the OP has the "normal frame" at 900g.
    In the 2014 range - the normal Supersix EVO has replaced the ordinary Supersix.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I was going to suggest this bike instead of the one on Paul's. Much Better spec. for less money but the first batch are now sold out

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bik ... ab-reiter2
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    2013 there were Nano, Himod and non Himod frames, 2014 introduced a new cheaper non Himod frame, tweaked to reduce price, said to have differences such as external rear brake cable. 2013 Non Himod frame is not the same as the cheaper 2014 non Himod frame, meaning there's now 2 types of non Himod frames. I'd say the 2013 Himod and non Himod frames are worth £200-300 difference.

Either way I would not over think it, I'd go for the Red if it were me. I'd suggest you make up your mind ASAP and just get on and order it before it sells out. I pondered on a bike from them before and when I came back to it the next week it was sold out in my size.

2014 info here :-

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ook-38148/
  • Ok I've think I've cracked this mystery. According to this article http://road.cc/content/feature/83263-six-affordable-pro-race-bikes which was published in May this year, the SuperSix EVO Red frame weighs in at 950g.
    Cannondale’s SuperSix Evo is the choice of - you'll never guess - the Cannondale Pro Cycling team with the irrepressible Peter Sagan pedalling it to many victories in the past couple of seasons. The team race the Hi-Mod version, and last year Cannondale introduced a lighter nano version, the Evo Black, and a slightly heavier but more affordable Evo Carbon. Sharing the same tube shape and construction method,but substituting a less expensive intermediate modulus carbon, the frame weight is just 950g.

The entry-level SuperSix Evo Red costs £3,499 and comes with a SRAM Red groupset and SRAM S951 compact chainset, Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S wheels plus Yksion Pro 23mm tyres and Cannondale’s own C2 finishing kit. It comes in two colourways, a matte black and red or a white/blue/green option that echoes the team livery.

Hmm, heart says CAAD10 Black Inc. and brain says SuperSix EVO Red.
  • Evil Laugh
    It's a tricky one. I do love the supersix evo, it's in my top 3 bikes I've ridden I think.

However I wouldn't buy a mech only frame as I'm a total di2 convert.
  • Evil Laugh wrote:
    It's a tricky one. I do love the supersix evo, it's in my top 3 bikes I've ridden I think.

However I wouldn't buy a mech only frame as I'm a total di2 convert.

What are your reasons for being a total convert? I've personally not tried it, but I've always been very interested.

Also just out of interest, what are the other two bikes in your top 3 you've ridden?
  • djhermer
    But then look here and it confirms its under 700g. Which is the ballpark on which mine came out at yesterday. I'll caveat that and say I wasn't a work when t was weighed. I do need to check they included the fork!

http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... 19130.aspx