Mikey23 wrote:
    Removing unwanted ads on iPad:

Go to network settings and change DNS to 74.53.155.162

Simples

More specifically

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1594444
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    These adverts are really annoying. It's a waste of time trying to do any thing on the forum.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Removing unwanted ads on iPad:

Go to network settings and change DNS to 74.53.155.162

Simples

Genius.....thanks

:)
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I am not sure what they have done but my work laptop seems to be automatically blocking the ads whe I am on it at home. All I get doen the sides now ar two blue stripes. :D
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    I didn't realise this thread was here and posted a new thread last night about the ads. I to feel they have become too intrusive recently. I fully accept that to have a free to use site there is a need to have advertising to cover the costs etc . I very rarely, in fact i don't think i have ever responded to any advert even those targeted at me and tend to ignore them mostly but i do find the sidebar ads just too intrusive so much so that it has started to spoil the enjoyment i get from using the site. Surely they could be changed, made smaller, it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't chase you around when scrolling. It may seem a small number of people who are not happy with these ads but its normally a few who comment on behalf of the majority. maybe you should have a poll on the site to see how many people think they are too intrusive. In a way to me its negative advertising, the one that sticks in my mind the most is pulsar watches, if i do go to buy a watch its not going to be a pulsar because that ad chasing me around the page has really put me off owning one.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    What I don't understand is why I get them on my main pc - but not the laptops ? - i thought my pc had been compromised ! - as others have said there is an easy way to stop them - but not the shrinkage (as yet).

Other sites I use advertise - but its done in a more tasteful way.....
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    I thought I'd just ad (excuse the pun :mrgreen: ) my thoughts to this as the adverts are slowly driving me up the wall.

The side ads I can deal with, even the ones that fill the screen aren't soooo bad (not that I read them) but the really really annoying ones are those that cause the forum page to drop down and then back up so by the time you've clicked on a link it's moved and I end up in a random sub forum I don't want to be in :evil:

It's frustrated me so much that I actually went looking for the script blockers I used to use to stop ads and dangerous scripts in the good old days of the wild-west-internet.

It's a good point that Facebook etc are now managing to monitise their sites BUT remember the number of near walk outs and up in arms responses they went through to even get close to getting it right? Also, they are now floated on the stock exchange so have a duty to their shareholders and some of the best web developers in the world and look how long it took. Hopefully BR / Future will follow a similar learning curve (albeit without the billion dollar budget!).

edit: hold on, am I going mad or have they literally just been switched off? :lol:
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • I didn't want to; because I recognise the need for websites to make money; however; Bike Radar has forced me to install software to stop the advertising as they went too far. Shame.
  • That irritating gambling one with the bear cuts off the right hand side of my screen on the ipad.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Vslowpace wrote:
    That irritating gambling one with the bear cuts off the right hand side of my screen on the ipad.

Yep! In chrome and safari!
    Rendered the site useless to me

Matt
  • matt-h wrote:
    Vslowpace wrote:
    That irritating gambling one with the bear cuts off the right hand side of my screen on the ipad.

Yep! In chrome and safari!
    Rendered the site useless to me

Matt
    Me too. This is ridiculous. Literally can't use the site any more. Please sort it out.
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    I agree, this site's starting to become unusable on the iPad. This advert has got to be the most annoying one yet though.

photo.png

Not only does the screen jump around and the font and links shrink in size but now I can't even read half of the post!

As others have said, I've got nothing against sites using advertising to generate revenue but when it starts seriously affecting the usability of the site then it's gone too far. Companies like Google would be out of business within the week if they started using such aggressive advertising.
  • Caller
    Caller Posts: 124
    I'm with the guys above.

The site is now unusable on the iPad due to the adverts at the moment, I've given up even trying to look at the site now unless I'm on my laptop.
  • Yep, truly unusable on the iPad. There is a balance but you can't justify the screenshot above. I don't use the site much now. The user experience on the iPad would suggest the people running this site know nothing about ux or don't care about the users. It is a shame.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    +1 for the Betfair advert - on the side of the page where you need to click to go to the next page. Even the Daily Fail can get theirs right.

I don't read it - a friend told me. Honest.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • It slows the whole site down for me, I go to click a link on a forum page and suddenly I'm on a page that was two links above.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    So, the only response from the modmins on behalf of the owners is "Tough, we don't care, the ads will stay". I am surprised at this response? Sadly, not at all.

Jeff Jones tells us that site traffic is up, but as a reasonably long-term user of the forum I would like to see if this is actually true for the forum (or just the front page). As far as I can tell, activity on the forum (certainly the road section) has dropped considerably (although this is likely related to a spate of ridiculous moderating and bizarre bans/suspensions).

There are several threads about this, and the most positive input from users seems to be "I'm not that bothered about the ads". Realistically, there is little point us banging on about it - clearly nobody cares about users, or indeed the user experience.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    I've been a member here for a few years and although don't post much do enjoy a read of the forums and would have to agree that whilst the 'traffic' may be up, it does not seem to be represented in the actual content. This new advertising clearly is not the fault of the mods but it's making the site difficult and annoying to use, combined with the sometimes (read often in certain cases!) rude attitude of mods and bizzare decisions they make the site is less and less likely for me to visit.

Also dare I say it but the road section seems to be turning into cylechat!! Can we please just ban users who's first post is 'I fell of my bike, how do I sue someone?'
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Vslowpace wrote:

Same here - makes the site unusable.

Pete
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    peteco wrote:
    Vslowpace wrote:

Same here - makes the site unusable.

Pete

I agree with the adverts that chop off the left hand side so you can read properly. I can understand adverts but not if they stop you using the site.
  • The Advertising Standards Authority controls adverts in print media and online. I wonder if they have a code about adverts rendering content unreadable?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'm surprised this thread is still in existence, people have been complaining about ads on this place for so long and nothing gets done, it's clearly not a priority for anyone in control, maybe they just like seeing people complaining about it :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    As above with the betfair ad making the site unusable on an iPad.

I've never understood why marketing people think annoying the crap out of your audience is a good way to get them to like your product. And the fact that the ad is still cutting off the page after all this time (check the date between the last post and this) means they have not a care in the world about what impression they make upon potential customers. Clearly they have one strategy: Ram it down their throats.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'm surprised that the mods haven't waded in yet with the standard "Nobody likes ads but they pay for the site so please have the class not to whine about them" response yet :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    I dont mind the ads on my desktop computer - I just ignore them. I couldn't even tell you what any of them are for.
    On the iPad the ads really drive me to distraction though - it is getting to the point where I will stop using the site on iPad soon ( usually 20 times plus a day). I cannot read the whole screen and have to keep refreshing the page to get a full screen view just to move on to the next page.
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Another user who is finding the betfair advertisement obscuring the content and preventing correct website functioning on a tablet. Please can the web team correct this issue?
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Realistically, there is little point us banging on about it - clearly nobody cares about users, or indeed the user experience.

I knew before I posted my complaint that I'd probably just be p*ssing in the wind which is why I've not complained until now (that betting ad was the tipping point).

You'd like to think that if enough people complained then the person who makes the decision on advertising would sit up and listen, but in reality, they probably never even visit the forum and even if they did read our comments, I doubt they could care less.
  • EdW
    EdW Posts: 103
    I don't mind adverts on the website/forum & realise they are neccessary.

BUT, these scrolling margin ones are incredibly annoying, especially when they make the screen suddenly jump as I press the mouse button & I end up in the wrong place. The only reason I look at these ads now is to make a mental note never to buy anything from the offending advertiser.

It's so bad (and seems like nothing is going to be done about it) that, like many others have done, I'm now off to look for some ad blocking software.

Annoying advertising just alienates potential customers rather than attracting them.
  • Sgray
    Sgray Posts: 79
    Vslowpace wrote:

Same as, please fix