Annoying advertising in margins.

What is this ridiculous new development with advertising in the margins ?

How do you get rid of it ? I view the site from an ipad so it is already a small screen which is now reduced by another 2"

No need to respond as I am not expecting any sensible answer which is about par for the course for this site.
Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It's why the site is free ;)
  • There is a very easy solution to the problem. I too am on iPad and I have downloaded an app from the Appstore called Adblock. It is an alternative browser to Safari and you get no ads or screen shrinkage. I think it runs a little faster than Safari as we'll.

Some say this is not in the spirit of using a free forum, but I disagree.
  • There is a very easy solution to the problem. I too am on iPad and I have downloaded an app from the Appstore called **Nobody likes ads but they pay for the site so please have the class not to whine about them**. It is an alternative browser to Safari and you get no ads or screen shrinkage. I think it runs a little faster than Safari as we'll.

Some say this is not in the spirit of using a free forum, but I disagree.
    Wow, what happened there???? The forum automatically deleted the name of the app and inserted that line into my message about whining. Big brother in action.

Here's a hint.

32af366fc7435f6a705b133df150bced.jpg
  • kajjal
    Don't blame them. Its a bit like you walking into our house and sitting down to watch the football. An ipad app won't save you from the misses and the dog ;)
  • I understand that advertising is necessary to pay for the site. However, it does not have to be intrusive. It was ok before so why is it suddenly so bad ?

Thanks for the replies BTW.
    Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Looks like Future have it in for the mobile users, see also the Tapatalk thread.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I use a tablet too and this new advertising is a genuine pain and too intrusive. I might have to go elsewhere.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    The advertising is not new although maybe it's just started to appear in the forums

As Kajjal said, it's why the site is free
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • navrig
    Easily sorted on a desktop. Simply zoom into the screen slightly (CTRL + Scroll wheel on mouse) and the side adverts disappear off the side of the screen.

Wont help on tablets.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    The advertising is not new although maybe it's just started to appear in the forums

As Kajjal said, it's why the site is free

well ,Dr Jones, fully appriciate the site and its associated forum is a commercial enterprise, which needs to generate an income to remain sustainable. However, the advertising just recently has become increasingly obtrusive. Futher more it has slowed your site down to the point where it is almost unusable . This may not be an issue for those lucky enough to live in areas with mega fast broadband ,but for myself and im sure many others it is an issue. Back to the advertising , it is a vicious circle , the advertisers wont bother if you have no users because of the advertising. I am having a little winge but also just politly point out the frustration from this side. Im sure the publishing industry is littered with the corpses of those that disinfranchised their core market.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Of course - if the readership is declining or remaining flat because of the ads then that's something that has to be taken into account. But it's been growing at a rapid rate, which makes that a hard case to argue.

There are certain ads that occasionally do break acceptable guidelines - I can ask for those to be removed. But things like side bar ads or big drop downs are standard, they're on most of Future's sites and aren't going away.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Advertising is acceptable, the format of this advertising is not.
    It is one of the most intrusive of any site......
    This site may be free, but there are ways to generate revenue through advertising, without destroying the browsing experience.
  • 56mph
    56mph Posts: 70
    Navrig wrote:
    Easily sorted on a desktop. Simply zoom into the screen slightly (CTRL + Scroll wheel on mouse) and the side adverts disappear off the side of the screen.

Wont help on tablets.

That's brilliant, thanks :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    big drop downs are standard, they're on most of Future's sites and aren't going away.

It wouldn't be so bad if clicking 'reduce ad' kept them reduced.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I have run and moderated on a number of phpbb forums. It doesn't cost a whole lot. But I can totally understand the requirement for advertising to help offset the costs. A lot of other forums sell the advertising space to relevant partners/companies - so each section would have a relevant advertiser who could make a more likely return on his advertising investment. Another option a lot of club forums adopt is to offer a paid membership scheme to help offset the costs. And another possibility is to set things up so the sorts of ads we're currently viewing is only displayed to non-members and those not logged in. But paid members once logged in won't see the ads. Personally if I were to see ads, they really aught to be from relevant sponsors or suitable merchants involved in the industry icon_thumbup.gif
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Of course - if the readership is declining or remaining flat because of the ads then that's something that has to be taken into account. But it's been growing at a rapid rate, which makes that a hard case to argue.

There are certain ads that occasionally do break acceptable guidelines - I can ask for those to be removed. But things like side bar ads or big drop downs are standard, they're on most of Future's sites and aren't going away.

Hey, guess what, side bar ads and big drop downs are not classy. They tend to be favoured by marketing people who have no clue about something called 'user experience' (which has a much longer term impact than a quick buck). I've been using this site for years and recently it's got really bad with regards to the intrusiveness of the ads, so much so, that I'm off for a while. Yes, there are alternatives.

Making money is one thing. Being greedy is another.
    Mens agitat molem
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I agree - this is by far the site with the most intrusive ad experience of any I use.

As others have said, it's getting ridiculous.
  • bazbadger wrote:

Hey, guess what, side bar ads and big drop downs are not classy. They tend to be favoured by marketing people who have no clue about something called 'user experience' (which has a much longer term impact than a quick buck). I've been using this site for years and recently it's got really bad with regards to the intrusiveness of the ads, so much so, that I'm off for a while. Yes, there are alternatives.

Making money is one thing. Being greedy is another.

Quite so, look at the likes of google and facebook who are making advertising work without shoving it down your throat. In general all advertising that requires you to take action to dismiss it is unacceptable.
  • Nothing wrong with advertising but when it negatively affects user experience then you have to question who is making the decisions about site development. I work in IT and if I proposed this to my bosses it would be kicked out. More people will begin to use iPads and the like and for me the forum has become borderline unusable.

There is no point saying that user numbers are rising so everything is rosey. Use the forums on an iPad yourself and don't discount the comments of the few when it comes to usability.
  • Especially when they refuse to support the likes of tapatalk.
  • Its why the site is free? Really? Retrobike and LFGSS don't have adds at this level and they are free.
    The level of adds must cause havoc if you are on a slow connection?
    Awful, just horrible and awful.
    Does the site have shareholders I wonder?
  • "BikeRadar is part of Future plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher."
    - So yes it does. It's a big company of which Bike Radar is but a small part - so you can imagine they won't care if they annoy a number of people here as long as the cash keeps coming in.
  • navrig
    "BikeRadar is part of Future plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher."
    - So yes it does. It's a big company of which Bike Radar is but a small part - so you can imagine they won't care if they annoy a number of people here as long as the cash keeps coming in.

You'd need a mass walkout for them to listen and that isn't going to happen. Anyone promoting such a thing would soon find themselves without an account.

There are other models adopted in forums.

One I know has a two tier membership but the forum is completely ad free.

The basic membership allows you to view and post the general areas but you can't use PM or sell anything.

The paid membership allows you access to a members area where there is some technical information available and you can sell stuff. The membership fee is less than £20 per annum. If there was ads members would not experience them.

Given the numbers using Bike Radar and the current increasing interest in cycling there is no chance Future plc would move to a tiered system. I am sure advertising brings in more revenue than a membership fee would.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Its intrusive in its current guise. I have taken measures to ensure my browsing is not overpowered by the scrolling side banners. It will mean I continue to use the site thus prolonging its life
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    I posted about this here
    viewtopic.php?f=40033&t=12943849&p=18563980#p18563980
    It's simply too much.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Its all part of their learning curve. Adverts are very much like taxes. Over do it and people find ways to avoid it.
  • The animated ones really cause my machine to struggle, I can't type out posts because it's busy displaying adverts!

AND I've got car tyres zooming at me again WTF
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    This mornings car tyre plash did remind me to order some new ones. Went for pirellis though.
  • kajjal
    Easy solution have a subscription that removes the adverts. Not sure how many people who are complaining about a free website would pay it though ;)
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    money talks it would seem.