please help me PLEASE

13»

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It's simply a functional asymmetry and you shouldn't worry about it unless you start getting serious knee pain (you can sort it through cleat angle+float or shimming if it's really serious). In order to relieve pressure from the outside of the foot, you need more support on the arch (and possibly behind the metatarsal head). It may sound counterintuitive, but the key is to equalise press over the whole of the foot and wedging the outside will probably make it worse.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • So potentially wedging the inside will improve it? Did you watch the vid?
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Grill didn't say wedge the inside, he said you may need more support under the arch.

My wife has recently bought some Giro insoles that come with 3 different arch supports, they cost around £30.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Sorry I meant wedging the inside of the shoe so the cleat not the insole. I have the bg footbeds which are meant to offer arch support!
  • andrewjoseph
    The Giro insoles look to have more support than the bg. But this system comes with 3 different arch support for each foot, so you can have medium support in one shoe and high support in the other. To do that with spesh insoles you need to buy two sets.
    --
  • Hmmm interesting! Might look into them then!
  • Grill
    Sorry I meant wedging the inside of the shoe so the cleat not the insole. I have the bg footbeds which are meant to offer arch support!

When I spoke of the possibility of wedging your cleat, I meant simply as a last resort for your asymmetry if A) you had knee issues and B) you could sort them through proper cleat alignment and float.

In terms of your arch support, you really need to read what it is I type. There is no such thing as a 'one size fits all' footbed, and you don't even have the most supportive BG beds (green).
  • Grill I read what you had written, I was merely stating what it is that I have currently. The bg ones are what I have. However from your advice I need to change these! I'm looking at the esoles ones, having waistedy arch with their tool it's a 22mm arch
  • Grill
    Not necessarily, as it's possible to adapt them. Also without seeing a professional you're flying blind with what will actually work. Measuring absolute arch depth makes no sense, especially when you don't take the windlass effect into account. I don't know of a single good fitter that has ever used such a metric and would would go so far as to say that knowing 'absolute depth' is useless in the grand scheme of things.

If you want this sorted properly go see Colin at Solutions4Feet or Hamish at Profeet. There are also a couple of bike shops that do good customs such as Cadence or WyndyMilla.
  • Windmilla maybe an option as they are near me! Although I want one of their bikes as well
  • Grill
    Their bikes are sound. Say hi for me.
  • It seems I may have resolved this issue, done a few 8 milers on the rollers due to childcare Issues. After some fiddling with my cleats I think I have resolved it. Hurrah.
    Cleats have moved back and in, although I now am getting a numb (really) little man. Using a spesh bg romin with the cut out. Saddle is level.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I get it on the turbo all the time - the numb pecker that is so you're not on your own. :)
  • Hurrah, im not the only one to suffer the wierdest sensation ive ever had in my life!
  • andrewjoseph
    Hurrah, im not the only one to suffer the wierdest sensation ive ever had in my life!
    stand up and pedal every 10 mins or when you start to feel numb.
    --
  • It appears I may have struck gold, took the bike out in the rain today after changing the stem to a 90mm one I had lying around, and redoing the bar level and it felt amazing, no pain in hands reach felt right and feet didn't hurt! Hurrah.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Hurrah, im not the only one to suffer the wierdest sensation ive ever had in my life!
    stand up and pedal every 10 mins or when you start to feel numb.
    ^^This
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm going to cast my vote for human error. Blaming the shoes, soles, pedals, cleats, etc is all well and good but I would bet that YOU have done something wrong or simply have feet that won't tolerate the stresses of pedaling a bike.
    Things like shoe straps too tight or loose is your fault. If you are the one who fitted the cleats, this is another indication of possibly your fault. If you bought the shoes and they don't fit well. Once again, your fault. If you bought them because of something that was claimed in an advertisement, well, you should have bought them because they fit well. Not because they are some particular brand. :wink: