please help me PLEASE

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Following on from the cleat position thread, I have purchased some bont vaypor shoes. Tried them tonight and they feel good, comfy.
However although I didnt get the foot pain I was getting on the right foot, I did start to get numb toes, and interestingly more on the left foot.
Is this purely a cleat positioning error? Using speedplay zeros. This is really peeing me off as it is causing me to lose enjoyment of riding.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Sounds like cleats, set them up the same as they were on the other shoes because your left foot was OK or do the sitting on the table feet dangling thing then set them up.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    straps/laces too tight.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Should hope not,
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Shoes too small ? Socks too thick ? Weather gone colder ?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    nicklouse wrote:
    straps/laces too tight.

Aye, what Nick said. And if it's bad when you've not been wearing them for long, it'll get worse as your rides lengthen; your feet swell up, see.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You're doing them up too tight to compensate for them being too big.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Very stiff shoes can give some people numb feet and I've heard of complaints about the Bonts. Might have to try inner soles, which obviously work better if the shoes are slightly too big.
  • You know what I think I'm just going too stop cycling!
  • B5NGV
    B5NGV Posts: 28
    It does sound like you are doing them up too tight. When you get fitted for running trainers they leave room for your feet swelling and on my bike when I do up my shoes I clench my feet slightly as I do them up and then when I release this is comfortable for me. This is a personal thing but it works for me.
  • I did that with my mavics but my foot still hurt although that was where the fifth metatarsal was
  • triban
    triban Posts: 149
    if the shoe is a little too big, you might be clenching your toes in an attempt to hold on to the shoe. It's an unconscious reflex, i had the same problem earlier this year, just my right foot. bought some shoes that fitted better and its all good now.

maybe try some insoles?
  • We'll I'm going to get my foot measured today. Doing the bont measurement I should be in a 42.5 but I need the wide fit. So will give them a whirl. It's just amazing how much of a minefield shoes are.
  • tyre pressures too high causing vibration. Think "vibration white finger" but for your toes. Failing this, and on another set of shoes it could just be time to... no, i'm not saying it, i'm too polite!
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    B5NGV wrote:
    I clench my feet slightly as I do them up and then when I release this is comfortable for me. This is a personal thing but it works for me.

And i thought i was the only one that did this lol
  • Grill
    You also need to look into either better footbeds or modifying the current ones.

Does the numbness start at your big toe or second toe?
  • Grill, I have just been to have my foot measured at Clark's and it appears I'm a size 8 and not a 9 . So this could be my issue. I'm guessing the potential pain in the right side is due to the foot slipping due to poor fitting. Although I am a g which is a wide fit
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Arn't vapors heat mouldable?

Have you heat moulded them?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Grill
    Grill, I have just been to have my foot measured at Clark's and it appears I'm a size 8 and not a 9 . So this could be my issue. I'm guessing the potential pain in the right side is due to the foot slipping due to poor fitting. Although I am a g which is a wide fit

Measuring in UK sizes is completely pointless as they vary by manufacturer. The only true sizing system is mondo point/JP which is in centimeters and coincidentally the way that Bont sizes their shoes on their sizing guide. I would wager that you pronate heavily which makes your forefoot expand greatly under load. A set of decent footbeds would sort that out.
  • cougie
    This might be a stupid question - but did you try the size up and down on for fit.

The numbers on the shoe make bugger all difference - every maker is slightly different and some shoes just arent a good fit for people.

Go to the LBS and buy a pair of comfy shoes that fit. No point in getting a bargain on flash shoes that aren't comfortable. I'd much rather have a cheap pair that fit well. (jeez are they really over £200 ???)
  • I have on the bonts and fiziks
  • cougie
    Just two makes ? Did they not have any others ?

I love my Specialized - I have quite wide feet and find them more comfy than the Italian shoes I've worn in the past.
  • Grill
    You do realise that they make Bonts in a wide fit...
  • Yeah I know, but the concern I have is that the 44,s felt wrong over the top of my foot.
  • Grill
    Probably because they're too big.
  • Well now I have no shoes and need to shop. Such a pain nowhere does a good selection of shoes near me
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Where do you live?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Near camberley surrey
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Near camberley surrey

Get a train into London (£16.10 for a Super Offpeak return ticket to Waterloo). Then you're spoilt for choice.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Tried some spesh 74's yesterday very nice felt right on the foot as we'll and the right size!!!
  • Grill
    And yet they're narrower than Bonts...