please help me PLEASE

Comments

• Yep, so the fact the old shoe was too big is my problem as it wasn't offering the right support so causing my foot to slip
  • That last statement was a quess from me!
    And appears I was wrong.
    Worn the spesh this evening, felt really comfy all over exept I still get the same feeling right foot just on the fifth metatarsal.So assuming cleat position is dead centre do I move it outward or inward?
  • Try riding with a higher cadence, this will reduce the applied force for the equivalent speed.
    If your tyre pressures are too high you might just be feeling road buzz. Put some 25mm tyres on with a reduced pressure. Other than that MTFU and ride through it.
  • Ha ha that's the best thing ever! Just moved the cleats back a touch so might help!
  • Just ridden with the cleats moved back and a massive improvement in the toes.
    However, the right of my right foot still hurts. How do I stop this, if I lifted my foot inwards so right side angled up it relieved straight away.
    And also got off the bike and couldn't ferl my nuts. Wierdest feeling ever but first time ever felt it. Causes?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Arch support will help with your foot.

As far as numb nuts are concerned, get a saddle with a cut-out.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill, got the bg foot beds, just can't understand why it's only on the right side of the right foot. Got a spesh saddle with cut out, I'm guessing by moving cleats back I have affected my saddle position slightly
  • Grill
    Yes but not only are there different options for the BG footbeds, but everyone's feet are unique and require different support, so it's naive to think that the 'one size fits all' approach is infallible. A good fitter can build additional support on the ones you have (provided they're the closest proper fit).

Make sure that the nose is level on your saddle. If you're perching you may need to move to forward.
  • They measured my foot on their heat thingy at the spesh shop and gave me the blues!
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I had pain in outer part of left foot when I first had a road bike, tried bg insoles and the forefoot wedges. Eventually found that increasing my cadence and using lighter gears stopped the pain. I could bring on the discomfort by grinding at less than 60 rpm and stop it by using lighter gears with a cadence over 60.

I still use spesh bg red insoles in both shoes and the light grey varus wedge in my left shoe.

As said by others, try to increase your cadence to see if it helps. It is one of the easiest and cheapest experiments you can do. Of course if it helps, you may need a new cassette or chainrings.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Grill
    They measured my foot on their heat thingy at the spesh shop and gave me the blues!

Yes, but they don't use windlass effect on those pads, nor do they take things such as hypermobility into account. They are not fitters and are limited by their training.
  • Ride at around 95rpm.

If I move my cleat outboard will that help?
  • andrewjoseph
    Ashley, when does it hurt most, all the time or up hills, when standing?

Can you do 95rpm up hills? I can't and that's with 34-32 combination.
    --
  • Was meant to say 85 oops. It starts fine and then starts to niggle and it's all the time.
    I have just been looking at some sidas insoles, based on grills advice.
    Although should have just bought a proper bike fot!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Ashley, moving your cleats back can decrease your effective overall "leg length" or at least the distance your leg extends to the furthest point of the pedal stroke.

Try moving your saddle down 2 or 3 mm.
  • Really, blimey this is hardwork! All this to get the best cycling position
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do you ride with a club ? They can be a mine of information on getting your bike set up right. If you're doing anything wrong - they'll quickly correct you.
  • Unfortunately not, mine and my partners work patterns don't really allow it unfortunately
  • Andrew those wedges you use are they cleat wedges or insole wedges?
  • andrewjoseph
    Andrew those wedges you use are they cleat wedges or insole wedges?

Insole wedges, they came with the bg insoles. You get a pair of light grey varus wedges (thicker on outside of foot) and pair of valgus wedges (thicker on inside of foot). The varus are thicker than valgus, but you can mix them up to create a thicker wedge for whatever side you need them. Though if you need to do that you may have a serious problem that needs more professional help.

I may have varus/valgus mixed up and spelt wrong.

Edit to add:

I wear mtb shoes, spesh winter boots and shimano shoes. I don't think the fact they are mtb makes a difference.
    --
  • May be buying some wedges from specialized. I did email Steve Hogg for some advice, but he is busy and I have to pay.
    Wish I had 200£ to do the bikefit!
  • andrewjoseph
    May be buying some wedges from specialized. I did email Steve Hogg for some advice, but he is busy and I have to pay.
    Wish I had 200£ to do the bikefit!

Up thread you said you had some bg footbeds, which ones are these? As far as I know the red,green and the blue footbeds come with the plastic wedges. At least they did when I bought red ones a few years ago.
    --
  • styxd
    The new footbeds do not come with the wedges.

I refer the cleat shims to the footbed wedges. Dod you defintiely think you need them? If your knees track straight when pedalling then you might be ok.
  • The spesh ones don't come with wedges anymore.
    Styxd, I don't think my knee tracks straight I believe it tried to track away from the bike, the reason I say this is I feel I have to make a conscious effort on the right side to bring the knee in towards the bike. So I don't pedal knee out if that makes sense?
  • All I really know is that when I relieved pressure on the right side oft foot by lifting the putside edge up there was immediate relief!
  • andrewjoseph
    All I really know is that when I relieved pressure on the right side oft foot by lifting the putside edge up there was immediate relief!

I don't know if shims will help then. They would help knee tracking but if the issue is pressure I would think you would have the same problem with a shim, i. e. You would still be putting pressure on that area of your foot, but it would now have a bit of plastic under it.

Reducing the pressure seems to be the main issue, not changing the angle.

I can't imagine that you could lift the outside of your foot whilst still putting out the same pressure/power.
    --
  • styxd
    lifting the outseide of the foot may help bring your knee in and it could relieve some of the pressure aswell?
  • So how do I lift the outside of my foot? I wasn't putting the same amount of power down, as you are right it's impossible to do that, but more as an experiment to see of the numbness subsided. Which it did.
    So if my ankle/foot cants out do I shim the right side of my foot?
  • andrewjoseph
    Worth a try.
    --
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5TdZjt ... ata_player
    I got my 8 year old to video me on rollers, so not ideal as im moving round, however it looks as if my right knee dives in on thendown stroke. I also noted that it felt like my foot was angled outwards, so imagine if you were walking prominently on the outside of your foot.