Shand Skinnymalinky

Comments

• That is lovely, all that shiny campag on a handmade steel frame - gorgeous, but it does need some nice 3-cross silver-rimmed wheels to finish it off :¬)
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Thanks all, I'll post updated pictures when I have some nice shiny 3 cross wheels ;) Didn't get a chance to ride today as I'm running behind on various things but hope to nip out tomorrow afternoon for a little while!
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Just to say, that's luverly!! My genesis is, by a few degrees, a fairly similar idea, right down to the saddle and bar tape (albeit black), I still have massive bike envy though, have been eyeing up shand cycles since I first heard of them.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Noice.

:?
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Noice.

:?

What? It's a compliment. Like "nice", but more so.
  • nweststeyn
    First impressions!

Commuted on it today. 14.5 miles each way on generally flat roads with a wee kick here and there. The morning didn't feel too great as I was pushing fairly hard into a headwind. However, the ride home was a beauty, despite it raining. I took it much easier around corners as the road was wet and I'm not used to the handling yet but it felt SO smooth over roads where I know every pothole/bumpy bit/smooth bit. It really responds when you shift onto a smaller cog and stand and sprint. I would say that at speed the steering is a bit twitchier than the BeOne but that could just be something I get used to and then handling around corners will be better. The thing I loved the most was how QUIET everything was, it just hummed as I rode along.

When I got in, I checked Strava and saw I had 7 PR's out of 10 segments on the route. This doesn't mean much, but it certainly does mean that the heavier new bike hasn't really slowed me down compared to either the Beone or Trek carbon 'race focused' bikes I have been riding.

The most important thing though was - I was riding along with a grin on my face, even as I was getting soaked by the rain.

Love this bike so far!
  • nweststeyn wrote:
    10000500634_3861782944_c.jpg

Frame: Shand Skinnymalinky (Reynolds 853 steel handmade in Scotland)
    Forks: Shand Skinnymalinky
    Bars: Ritchey Classic 44cm
    Stem: Ritchey Classic 100mm
    Headset: Chris King
    Bar Tape: Fi'zi:k MicroTex

Front Shifter: Campagnolo Chorus Carbon
    Front Caliper: Campagnolo Athena Skeleton
    Rear Shifter: Campagnolo Chorus Carbon
    Rear Caliper: Campagnolo Athena Skeleton
    Front Mech: Campagnolo Athena 11s
    Rear Mech: Campagnolo Athena 11s

Saddle: Charge Spoon
    Seat Post: Ritchey Classic
    Seat Post Clamp: Integrated

Chainset: Campagnolo Athena 11s 34T/50T
    Chain: KMC Silver
    Cassette: Campagnolo Veloce 12-29
    Pedals: Look Keo
    Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo PowerTorque

Wheels: Campagnolo Scirocco

Bottle Cages: Arundel Stainless Steel

And there we are! Still need to sort out the area around the steerer once I've got the fit correct AND replace that ghastly black spacer (ruins the whole thing!). Only sprinted it down the road and up again so far but first impressions were great.

Ding dong awesome looking bike.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    nweststeyn wrote:
    When I got in, I checked Strava and saw I had 7 PR's out of 10 segments on the route. This doesn't mean much, but it certainly does mean that the heavier new bike hasn't really slowed me down compared to either the Beone or Trek carbon 'race focused' bikes I have been riding. !

Lovely looking bike.

No reason why a heavier bike would slow you down on flat roads. Wait until you get into the hills :)
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Cracking bike, love the colour of the frame, not sure on the bar tape/saddle combo. White?

Inspires me to renovate my old steel Cinelli next spring. Ride a Ribble 872 too but the steel still has a place in my heart!
  • Nice looking bike. And I like the saddle/tape combination. Better than white any day of the week.
  • Camcycle1974
    akmbikes wrote:
    Nice looking bike. And I like the saddle/tape combination. Better than white any day of the week.

Ok, grey then! Just not keen on the brown :lol:
  • nweststeyn
    I love the brown, it's how I imagined it before I even ordered the frame...

But at some point in future it will probably be retaped with black (and I have a black saddle to go with it) just to see how it looks.

Never white... I'm too dirty a person for that.
  • Camcycle1974
    nweststeyn wrote:
    I love the brown, it's how I imagined it before I even ordered the frame...

But at some point in future it will probably be retaped with black (and I have a black saddle to go with it) just to see how it looks.

Never white... I'm too dirty a person for that.

Cool, your bike, your rules. Grey Fizik tape and grey Spoon would look good though
  • She's a pure stunner pal :-)
  • nweststeyn
    Thanks man... riding it in the rain the other day felt kinda 'right' aswell. Looking forward to trying to keep my 'condition' up through winter!
  • Nairnster wrote:
    Wow, that is gorgeous. Had only been looking on their website the other day as well when looking for frame respray prices.

FYI - I phoned Shand a while back to discuss a paint job, and was told they don't do them any more. Too busy with other aspects of the business, and not enough money in painting frames.
  • nweststeyn wrote:

If you're re-taping the handlebars, that'd be an opportunity to fix the position of the hoods, IMO. The bars are well positioned, but the campag hoods should be positioned to continue the slight upward trajectory of the bar tops, rather than crank slightly to horizontal.

Toyed with that Ritchey Classic combo on one of my bikes. Nice.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn wrote:

If you're re-taping the handlebars, that'd be an opportunity to fix the position of the hoods, IMO. The bars are well positioned, but the campag hoods should be positioned to continue the slight upward trajectory of the bar tops, rather than crank slightly to horizontal.

Toyed with that Ritchey Classic combo on one of my bikes. Nice.

You are indeed right... After the first ride I shifted the hoods up a smidge - there was just enough movement without me needing to retape the bars, although it has resulted in a wee crease in the tape.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I think the mods should delete this thread :cry:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Not my cup of tea. Looks heavy.
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    That is really nice - congratulations
  • I'm splitting hairs but will Shand do this bike without eyes for guards? I love it but if I were to have one I'd want it without the eyes as they just spoil the look ever so slightly.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Very nice !!!
    :mrgreen:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • nweststeyn
    I'm splitting hairs but will Shand do this bike without eyes for guards? I love it but if I were to have one I'd want it without the eyes as they just spoil the look ever so slightly.

I'm not sure but they'd be able to tell you if you dropped 'em a line!
  • nweststeyn
    So I've come across a small issue to do with the wheels... Over winter, I was happy to stick with the Campag wheels but where I used to run them with 23s, I got a set of 25s for this bike. I've noticed when 'fettling' though that my tyre clearance under the crown of the fork is really really small, I don't have feeler guages here but I'd say its 1mm or less. The little 'tabs' on the tyre from the moulding process were actually touching the fork so I've taken a blade around the tyre and cleaned them all off. Shand say you should be able to run 28s on this frame so I thought it a bit odd.

The Campag wheels have 19mm rims, and I've read others with similair issues (different frames) who resolved it by going to 23mm rims. Is that correct, and will this therefore sort my issue?
  • declan1
    What tyres are they? Some Continental 25s are actually 28mm.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• nweststeyn
    Conti GP4000 25s... they certainly don't look 28s though.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Measure them with calipers. On a standard rim some of them are about 27.5mm. You might get some extra clearance on top if you go to a wider rim as the tyre will sit slightly lower.
  • declan1
    nweststeyn wrote:
    Conti GP4000 25s... they certainly don't look 28s though.

Yup, I measured my dad's GP4000s and they were 28mm ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred