Looking for winter bike

13»

Comments

• 500km a week, are you down to 10 stone yet? :) 300 miles a week is quite a jump. Well done.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    daviesee wrote:
    Stop beating about the bush man.
    What you need is this:-
    th_d93e62b7e469bc1a041a611486397035_cxzerodiscfeature1522.jpg

Yes, this is what you need, who cares what it costs, it's shown there in the rain, it's meant for the winter :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Tyres wear much quicker on a turbo than rollers. This is why you buy a turbo tyre (or buy a LeMond/Wahoo/etc.).

You're not cycling 500km a week. You won't come close to wearing a turbo tyre over the winter.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    500km a week, are you down to 10 stone yet? :) 300 miles a week is quite a jump. Well done.

mid 13 from high of low 16 so over the moon.
    changed diet a lot, stopped eating fizzy drinks and cut down on chocolates and sweets.
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    friction...now I understand :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • VTech wrote:
    stopped eating fizzy drinks

A wise decision.
  • VTech wrote:
    mid 13 from high of low 16...

Yeah?
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:
    mid 13 from high of low 16...

Yeah?

Now = mid 13 stone region

Previous high at start of cycling = low 16 stone region
    Living MY dream.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Well done on the weight loss.
  • 500km a week. Balls.

What about your empire ?
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • 500km a week. Balls.

What about your empire ?

A virtual 500km :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    VTech wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    You get friction on the road too. Let's face it, you don't ride nearly enough to wear out a set of tyres on rollers.

Maybe, maybe not but I have killed a tyre on the turbo in a few days and that was before I was cycling an average of 500km/week.

That may well be in the bottom 5% for fellow forum users but im happy with that.

Okay. Now's the time to get your Strava up and running. Lets just sit back and see.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • arran77
    VTech wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    You get friction on the road too. Let's face it, you don't ride nearly enough to wear out a set of tyres on rollers.

Maybe, maybe not but I have killed a tyre on the turbo in a few days and that was before I was cycling an average of 500km/week.

That may well be in the bottom 5% for fellow forum users but im happy with that.

Okay. Now's the time to get your Strava up and running. Lets just sit back and see.

He's already said his friend told him to take a break from Strava for a while :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • 500km on the turbo/rollers is slightly* different to 500km on the road ;-)

*resistance depending.
  • Listen VTech, this is the definitive answer.

1. You're happy with the triban on the turbo right? so leave it there, job done.

2. You like the Felt. Well you've had it a while so let's call that the crappy weather winter bike.

3. You've driven the very best that the automotive world has to offer right? Aston, Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati, Lambo right? So why not ride the best? start researching something uber top of the range. Colnago, Bianchi, Storck, Cippolini, Baum to name but a few. Come on mate do the deed, you are getting there with the weight loss so time to treat yourself.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rolf F wrote:
    I thought that the majority of people who use turbos get on the turbo in October and don't come out to ride a bike again until the end of March!

or we book weeks away somewhere hot and dry, like i've just done 8)

AGAIN
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • VTech
    kamil1891 wrote:
    500km on the turbo/rollers is slightly* different to 500km on the road ;-)

*resistance depending.

Yes, mostly on the rollers both at the gym and home or hotel etc, rarely miss a day and your right, 100km on the stationary is a breeze compared to 50km on the road.

Listen VTech, this is the definitive answer.

1. You're happy with the triban on the turbo right? so leave it there, job done. That was the original plan

2. You like the Felt. Well you've had it a while so let's call that the crappy weather winter bike. Why? I like the bike

3. You've driven the very best that the automotive world has to offer right? Aston, Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati, Lambo right? So why not ride the best? start researching something uber top of the range. Colnago, Bianchi, Storck, Cippolini, Baum to name but a few. Come on mate do the deed, you are getting there with the weight loss so time to treat yourself. Yes, I would say almost all but that doesnt mean I have owned them all. It also doesnt mean I would be foolish enough to waste money on something ahead of my skill set, I know many here will use this to have another pop at me but thats why I have a nice car and a nice house, I dont waste my money on stuff thats not needed or is affordable.
    Im not a racer, never will be so why spend £10k on a bike ?
    Its similar to someone who wants an occasional track car and buying a F3000 when a westfield will do.
    Most people waste what they have then bitch at others which is odd. I buy what I can afford or what I feel is worth it, if I dont want it or its of no value I dont buy it.
    Living MY dream.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    VTech wrote:
    Yes, I would say almost all but that doesnt mean I have owned them all. It also doesnt mean I would be foolish enough to waste money on something ahead of my skill set, I know many here will use this to have another pop at me but thats why I have a nice car and a nice house, I dont waste my money on stuff thats not needed or is affordable.
    Its similar to someone who wants an occasional track car and buying a F3000 when a westfield will do.
    Most people waste what they have then ***** at others which is odd. I buy what I can afford or what I feel is worth it, if I dont want it or its of no value I dont buy it.
    A sensible outlook too shopping.
    You may be shot down (see my Colnago pic) but its a wise outlook non the less.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • arran77
    VTech wrote:
    kamil1891 wrote:

*resistance depending.

Yes, mostly on the rollers both at the gym and home or hotel etc, rarely miss a day and your right, 100km on the stationary is a breeze compared to 50km on the road.

1. You're happy with the triban on the turbo right? so leave it there, job done. That was the original plan

2. You like the Felt. Well you've had it a while so let's call that the crappy weather winter bike. Why? I like the bike

3. You've driven the very best that the automotive world has to offer right? Aston, Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati, Lambo right? So why not ride the best? start researching something uber top of the range. Colnago, Bianchi, Storck, Cippolini, Baum to name but a few. Come on mate do the deed, you are getting there with the weight loss so time to treat yourself. Yes, I would say almost all but that doesnt mean I have owned them all. It also doesnt mean I would be foolish enough to waste money on something ahead of my skill set, I know many here will use this to have another pop at me but thats why I have a nice car and a nice house, I dont waste my money on stuff thats not needed or is affordable.
    Most people waste what they have then ***** at others which is odd. I buy what I can afford or what I feel is worth it, if I dont want it or its of no value I dont buy it.

No offence VTech but did your driving skill set really warrant any of those cars, I guess honestly probably not, a lesser car would be ok but you have the means for these cars so why not?

There is no difference then to owning a 10k bike, your riding skill set might not warrant it but again you clearly have the means so go for it!

I'd love a 10k bike if I had the cash even though I will never ever ride at a level that would warrant such a bike :)

seanoconn
  • VTech
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    kamil1891 wrote:

*resistance depending.

No offence VTech but did your driving skill set really warrant any of those cars, I guess honestly probably not, a lesser car would be ok but you have the means for these cars so why not?

There is no difference then to owning a 10k bike, your riding skill set might not warrant it but again you clearly have the means so go for it!

I'd love a 10k bike if I had the cash even though I will never ever ride at a level that would warrant such a bike :)

Thing is, thats why I quoted "I buy what I can afford or what I feel is worth it, if I dont want it or its of no value I dont buy it."

Im not saying buying some of the cars I do is right or good but I like it so its worth it to me, just as it is right for someone to buy a £10k bike, it maybe makes them happy.
    The only problem is when they cant afford it or go without elsewhere to support the purchase which is lunacy.
    I would never buy a car ahead of missing a mortgage payment or making the wife or kids miss out on something they want or need. I have an order of merit, Household costs, Kids, Wife, Me.
    So far its worked well.
    Living MY dream.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    kamil1891 wrote:

*resistance depending.

How do you know he isn't the stig?
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    'cos the Stig is a man of mystery :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • VTech
    team47b wrote:
    'cos the Stig is a man of mystery :D

Ive shared a room with him in Cologne, there is no mystery :mrgreen:
    To be fair, there is no funny business either just in case you were wondering.
    Living MY dream.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Current or previous one
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • VTech
    simonhead wrote:
    Current or previous one

Thats the thing......
    Living MY dream.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    daviesee wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Its a lovely looking bike but what price ?
    Is it another case of cyclists paying over the odds for little gain ?
    Stop asking stupid question's!
    Who here buy's there bike's on a purely sensible basis :wink:

Get thee to the English thread.
  • arran77
    VTech wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    kamil1891 wrote:

*resistance depending.

Thing is, thats why I quoted "I buy what I can afford or what I feel is worth it, if I dont want it or its of no value I dont buy it."

Im not saying buying some of the cars I do is right or good but I like it so its worth it to me, just as it is right for someone to buy a £10k bike, it maybe makes them happy.
    The only problem is when they cant afford it or go without elsewhere to support the purchase which is lunacy.
    I would never buy a car ahead of missing a mortgage payment or making the wife or kids miss out on something they want or need. I have an order of merit, Household costs, Kids, Wife, Me.
    So far its worked well.

The point I was trying to make VTech, and it wasn't a p1ss take (hard to believe with me I know), was that you probably don't need an expensive car, a less expensive one would be ok, but you can afford it so its nice to have them.

It would be the same for you with a 10k bike, you don't need it but because you can afford it then why not, I would if I had the means for it :)

seanoconn
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    kamil1891 wrote:
    500km...
    *resistance....

Ye...
    Listen VTech...
    1. You're...

3. You've......affordable.
    Im not...]

No offence VTec...

There...
    I'd love...

Thing is, thats why I quoted "I buy...

Im not...

The point...

It would be the same for you with a 10k bike, you don't need it but because you can afford it then why not, I would if I had the means for it :)

What ya sayin' like A77?

If you had a 10k bike but could afford not to buy it because you have the means to, it would be the same if you don't ?

I tell you what, you're a top candidate for spouting absolute bollox A77. I think you only posted here because you're a bollox merchant.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • VTech wrote:
    Im looking at getting another bike but for the winter months, we have salty roads round here as a main transport hub leaves the local town and so the roads are gritted a lot.
    I dont fancy wrecking the Felt so looking to get something to take winter road miles really.

What about the Ribble Winter Trainer... perhaps upgrade the Groupset depending on preference and also opt for the SKS P35 Mudguards:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road- ... BRW&bike=1

Ride the thing through late Autumn, Winter and perhaps early Spring depending on the weather.

Have the bike serviced and maybe stripped and rebuilt if the season has been particularly harsh, then slap the thing in a bike bag/storage ready for the next Autumn.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    kamil1891 wrote:
    500km...
    *resistance....

Ye...
    Listen VTech...
    1. You're...

3. You've......affordable.
    Im not...]

No offence VTec...

There...
    I'd love...

Thing is, thats why I quoted "I buy...

Im not...

The point...

What ya sayin' like A77?

If you had a 10k bike but could afford not to buy it because you have the means to, it would be the same if you don't ?

I tell you what, you're a top candidate for spouting absolute bollox A77. I think you only posted here because you're a bollox merchant.

I was hoping VTech would buy me a 10k bike just to shut me up from spouting b0llocks :lol:

seanoconn