Looking for winter bike

Comments

• Erm, why not put the Felt on the turbo and use the current turbo bike during the winter.

When the sun comes out again, swap them back.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Its odd how much agro this topic brings up.
    The triban is on the turbo, its set up perfectly for me so why remove all the time and have to swap wheels etc ? I really and I mean "REALLY" cant see why this is an issue.
    I had thought about getting one of the local peasants do the mileage but they have all moved on, they cant afford to live round these parts.

@murph, ive not updated strava for ages and that was due to a friend here suggesting to leave it for a while and so I did and to his credit, what he said worked.
    Ive lost 9lb in 3 months and am feeling much better.
    I can knock out a 100k without care these days and am loving it, I just dont want to miss out due to poor weather.

As for the guy who suggested moving to warmer locations, your not far from the truth there sir.
    Living MY dream.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I am with you on this Vtec.

My CAAD is my second bike so it is either on the turbo or out in the bad weather with crud roadraces on.

It is a pain swapping between these two states so I am now getting a winter frame to build up a bad weather bike.

This means I can leave the CAAD on the turbo and I have all bases covered.

In terms of a winter bike I find it best to get one that can take proper full metal mudguards that has the fork eyelets to bolt too. The Crud catchers (or similar) do a job but they can be fiddly to set up, need regular adjustment and tend to flap about a bit when you start puttig the power down.

I am aquiring a Genesis Croix de Fer frameset which will be built up with disc brakes (has the forks for it) and full proper mudguards. Sorted!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Rolf F wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I thought that the majority of people who use turbos get on the turbo in October and don't come out to ride a bike again until the end of March!

really?

No, not really. Of course not really. Do you take everything seriously?

Maybe this will help you :wink:

http://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2007/08/28/the-critical-7-rules-to-understand-people/

ok, ok - this thread is giving off too many mixed messages... ;)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Erm, why not put the Felt on the turbo and use the current turbo bike during the winter.

When the sun comes out again, swap them back.

That's probably the winning idea.
  • Get a cheap wheel and cassette, put it on the felt which goes on the turbo.
    Fit mudguards to the triban, winter bike ready to go.
    The bikes mentioned earlier are all perfectly good bikes that 10 to 12 years ago would have been top range bikes, whichever you go for keep up good work.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Could you not just get a cheap, 2nd hand bike to go on the turbo and then use the Triban as your winter bike?
  • VTech
    I couldnt have gone second hand but the prices of new are so competitive I cant see the point ?
    I would never put my felt on the turbo and the triban has stood everything I have thrown at it and never missed a beat.
    It has one of the best bike warranties around so perfect for the turbo.
    I just needed a winter hack so a new triban fits the bill.
    Living MY dream.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    VTech wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    What's wrong with your turbo bike?

Its in the gym on the turbo. its a hassle to take it off every time and set it up again, I have to change the wheel etc.

I'd just have another rear wheels to avoid changes tyres all the time, shouldn't be too much hassle.

Anway Merlin Cycles have a new winter trainer http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... -bike.html
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Oh how the other half live...

It takes less than 60 seconds to take the bike off the turbo and swap the rear wheel.

If you really want another bike then get a singlespeed.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • VTech
    Grill wrote:
    Oh how the other half live...

It takes less than 60 seconds to take the bike off the turbo and swap the rear wheel.

If you really want another bike then get a singlespeed.

Thats quite false in that I KNOW you have wheels that cost more than my collection so making it sound like im doing something stupid by getting a bike for a purpose is odd ! Come on, even you must agree with that ! :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • Is your Strava link bust Vtec? Doesn't appear you've done much cycling the past couple of months.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Grill
    No way dude. Gotta draw the line somewhere. All my bikes see the road and the Plasma sees the bulk of my turbo time, and you don't even have to deal with horizontal dropouts.

Just ride the Felt. My Foil is my winter bike...
  • VTech wrote:
    I couldnt have gone second hand but the prices of new are so competitive I cant see the point ?
    I would never put my felt on the turbo and the triban has stood everything I have thrown at it and never missed a beat.
    It has one of the best bike warranties around so perfect for the turbo.
    I just needed a winter hack so a new triban fits the bill.

If it's just sitting on a turbo it really doesn't need to be any special at all. As long at the drivechain works, that's all that really matters. Something costing around £50 would do the job fine. But it seems like you have already got something, so it's all academic...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    BUY - a winter bike with discs
    BUY - a set off rollers to ride the felt anytime, no wheel changing
    BUY - an appartment in Mallorca for winter cycling
    BUY - a tin opener for Yossie
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    VTech wrote:
    As for the guy who suggested moving to warmer locations, your not far from the truth there sir.

ocim.jpg

Is this going to be a permanent move VTech, can we come and wave you off 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    team47b wrote:

BUY - a winter bike with discs (missed that one but will do next time)

BUY - a set off rollers to ride the felt anytime, no wheel changing (tried that, but not on felt, and tyres lasted 5 mins so got a new turbo tyre which has thousands of miles on it and still going strong)

BUY - an appartment in Mallorca for winter cycling (have one in tenerife which is similar and also travel a lot so get around for cycling in warmer weather)

BUY - a tin opener for Yossie (surely he can afford his own ?)

Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:

ocim.jpg

You sir have changed imo, I wish we had someone with your humour round here :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    VTech wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:

ocim.jpg

You sir have changed imo, I wish we had someone with your humour round here :mrgreen:

For the better or for the worse, happy to have humoured you though :lol:

Hope I got the type of yacht right, I'm not really up on that sort of thing, it's probably too small isn't it :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I do not see the issue.

Ok it may well not be a major problem putting a bike on and off the turbo as needed but if you can have a separate bike for it then why not.

Personally I find the 10 minutes swapping stuff a waste of my time so I am getting a dedicated bike for winter which leaves a dedicated turbo bike.

Everyone is different and those who are happy with one bike then fair enough, but if you have the means to be able to have separate machines for separate uses why should that be a problem?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    smidsy wrote:
    I do not see the issue.

Ok it may well not be a major problem putting a bike on and off the turbo as needed but if you can have a separate bike for it then why not.

Personally I find the 10 minutes swapping stuff a waste of my time so I am getting a dedicated bike for winter which leaves a dedicated turbo bike.

Everyone is different and those who are happy with one bike then fair enough, but if you have the means to be able to have separate machines for separate uses why should that be a problem?

^^ +1 I have a turbo bike that was bought specifically to be left on it.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Stop beating about the bush man.
    What you need is this:-
    th_d93e62b7e469bc1a041a611486397035_cxzerodiscfeature1522.jpg
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • VTech
    daviesee wrote:
    Stop beating about the bush man.
    What you need is this:-
    th_d93e62b7e469bc1a041a611486397035_cxzerodiscfeature1522.jpg

Its a lovely looking bike but what price ?
    Is it another case of cyclists paying over the odds for little gain ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Grill
    Why not just get a Wattbike and use the Triban in the winter?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    VTech wrote:
    Its a lovely looking bike but what price ?
    Is it another case of cyclists paying over the odds for little gain ?
    Stop asking stupid question's!
    Who here buy's there bike's on a purely sensible basis :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • VTech
    Grill wrote:
    Why not just get a Wattbike and use the Triban in the winter?

Because my setup is a thousand times better than the wattbike.
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    VTech wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    BUY - a set of rollers to ride the felt anytime, no wheel changing (tried that, but not on felt, and tyres lasted 5 mins so got a new turbo tyre which has thousands of miles on it and still going strong)

I said buy a set of rollers.

How could you wear tyres on a set of rollers?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • VTech
    team47b wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    BUY - a set of rollers to ride the felt anytime, no wheel changing (tried that, but not on felt, and tyres lasted 5 mins so got a new turbo tyre which has thousands of miles on it and still going strong)

I said buy a set of rollers.

How could you wear tyres on a set of rollers?

Friction.
    Living MY dream.
  • Grill
    You get friction on the road too. Let's face it, you don't ride nearly enough to wear out a set of tyres on rollers.
  • VTech
    Grill wrote:
    You get friction on the road too. Let's face it, you don't ride nearly enough to wear out a set of tyres on rollers.

Maybe, maybe not but I have killed a tyre on the turbo in a few days and that was before I was cycling an average of 500km/week.

That may well be in the bottom 5% for fellow forum users but im happy with that.
    Living MY dream.