Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Looking for winter bike

VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Im looking at getting another bike but for the winter months, we have salty roads round here as a main transport hub leaves the local town and so the roads are gritted a lot.
I dont fancy wrecking the Felt so looking to get something to take winter road miles really.
Living MY dream.
«13

Posts

  • GrillGrill Posts: 5,610
    What's wrong with your turbo bike?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    Grill wrote:
    What's wrong with your turbo bike?

    Its in the gym on the turbo. its a hassle to take it off every time and set it up again, I have to change the wheel etc.
    Living MY dream.
  • Budget?
    Simon
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    Not bothered really, dont want to throw money away but not tied to a budget so to speak.
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,969
    Dolan Preffisio, Surosa Toledo, Ribble Audax, Tifosi CK7, Genesis Equilibrium....there's loads....
  • shameless plug, but I have a genesis equilibrium in a 56 for sale
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    Imposter wrote:
    Dolan Preffisio, Surosa Toledo, Ribble Audax, Tifosi CK7, Genesis Equilibrium....there's loads....

    As you have ridden them all, which did you find suited the winter roads the best ?
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,969
    VTech wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Dolan Preffisio, Surosa Toledo, Ribble Audax, Tifosi CK7, Genesis Equilibrium....there's loads....

    As you have ridden them all, which did you find suited the winter roads the best ?

    er, I haven't ridden them all(?) They are all 'winter style' bikes, so they will all suit winter roads, whatever that means.
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    samsbike wrote:
    shameless plug, but I have a genesis equilibrium in a 56 for sale

    I reckon that may have suited me but its too big im afraid, im a 51/54 5'9"
    Living MY dream.
  • elderoneelderone Posts: 1,410
    why not get another triban as you so happy with the one you have.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    elderone wrote:
    why not get another triban as you so happy with the one you have.

    That did cross my mind, I love the bike but I thought the new ones were not a patch on the older one with the carbon fork ?
    Living MY dream.
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Is the Triban on the turbo? If not, then you already have your winter bike - ie the Triban. If it on the turbo, why not get a new Triban, put that on the turbo and then use your current Triban as the winter bike. The turbo won't mind what the fork is made of.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    Rolf F wrote:
    Is the Triban on the turbo? If not, then you already have your winter bike - ie the Triban. If it on the turbo, why not get a new Triban, put that on the turbo and then use your current Triban as the winter bike. The turbo won't mind what the fork is made of.


    You have a good point, ill pick one up tomorrow. :idea:
    Living MY dream.
  • Get one with the discs, show the rim-wearing folks how it's done... 8)
  • GrillGrill Posts: 5,610
    VTech wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    What's wrong with your turbo bike?

    Its in the gym on the turbo. its a hassle to take it off every time and set it up again, I have to change the wheel etc.

    Really? I mean REALLY?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    What's wrong with your turbo bike?

    Its in the gym on the turbo. its a hassle to take it off every time and set it up again, I have to change the wheel etc.

    Really? I mean REALLY?

    Yes Grill really. Have you ever played golf?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dwanesdwanes Posts: 954
    Why not ride your Felt in winter, then use your money to buy a new groupset etc. when your current one has corroded in a few years time? Then you get to use your best bike all year round.
  • With no Strava updates I thought you'd given up! :shock:
  • Why not just move somewhere warm for winter? Surely that's the best option?
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Seven 622SL Kestrel RT1000 On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • VTech wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    What's wrong with your turbo bike?

    Its in the gym on the turbo. its a hassle to take it off every time and set it up again, I have to change the wheel etc.

    Then buy a new/second hand wheel and cassette and make that your turbo wheel. That's what the majority of people do! Buying another bike because it's a bit of a hassle is just rediculous!
  • Get one with the discs, show the rim-wearing folks how it's done... 8)

    +1

    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... _road_bike
    Simon
  • BobbinogsBobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    VTech wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    What's wrong with your turbo bike?

    Its in the gym on the turbo. its a hassle to take it off every time and set it up again, I have to change the wheel etc.

    Then buy a new/second hand wheel and cassette and make that your turbo wheel. That's what the majority of people do! Buying another bike because it's a bit of a hassle is just rediculous!

    This. Failing that, just employ a local peasant to do the mileage for you.
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    VTech wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    What's wrong with your turbo bike?

    Its in the gym on the turbo. its a hassle to take it off every time and set it up again, I have to change the wheel etc.

    Then buy a new/second hand wheel and cassette and make that your turbo wheel. That's what the majority of people do! Buying another bike because it's a bit of a hassle is just rediculous!

    I thought that the majority of people who use turbos get on the turbo in October and don't come out to ride a bike again until the end of March!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,969
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    What's wrong with your turbo bike?

    Its in the gym on the turbo. its a hassle to take it off every time and set it up again, I have to change the wheel etc.

    Then buy a new/second hand wheel and cassette and make that your turbo wheel. That's what the majority of people do! Buying another bike because it's a bit of a hassle is just rediculous!

    This. Failing that, just employ a local peasant to do the mileage for you.

    :lol:
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,969
    Rolf F wrote:
    I thought that the majority of people who use turbos get on the turbo in October and don't come out to ride a bike again until the end of March!

    really?
  • dwanes wrote:
    Why not ride your Felt in winter, then use your money to buy a new groupset etc. when your current one has corroded in a few years time? Then you get to use your best bike all year round.
    This.

    No need to get a second bike at all. Just take proper care of your main bike and enjoy it all year round.
  • rich164h wrote:
    No need to get a second bike at all. Just take proper care of your main bike and enjoy it all year round.

    3rd bike, do keep up :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Get it with slightly larger volume (and "bullet proof") tyres and disc brakes. When the weather is consistently bad, get yourself a set of mudguards and leave them on for the season.

    The only reason NOT to get a winter bike is if you have already hit the household bike limit threshold :D

    I'm with you...

    Every second spent faffing about swapping wheels, adding mudguards ... eats into the time I have on the bike (when cycling is way down the list of "family priorities")
    Simon
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Imposter wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I thought that the majority of people who use turbos get on the turbo in October and don't come out to ride a bike again until the end of March!

    really?

    No, not really. Of course not really. Do you take everything seriously?

    Maybe this will help you :wink:

    http://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2007/08/28/the-critical-7-rules-to-understand-people/
    Faster than a tent.......
  • arran77arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'd relegate the Triban to winter duties and get yourself a decent 'best' bike :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

    seanoconn
Sign In or Register to comment.