You know you are getting old when you remember thread

Comments

• Vesta meals (followed by an MSG high) and garlic were exotic substances
    Cremola Foam was a new-fangled product
    Real Spangles lacerated the inside of your mouth
    Crisps were 2d
    You could leave the house at 9am and return at dusk, and your parents didn't send out the Coastguard
    You regularly got head injuries from mounting a kerb on a chopper
    You played rugby on a frozen pitch and the match wasn't called off
    Power cuts were fun
    Only toffs had a colour TV
    There weren't 200 channels that weren't worth watching - just three. And they closed down at 10pm
    The Generation Game wasn't utter shoite (oh wait.....)
    Policemen were men, not boys
    We had respect for Doctors, Bank managers and Teachers. Okay, well maybe not teachers
    Nothing was divisible by 10, except in Science
    Sunday lunch was a family affair
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    This excellent video covers about 90% of what I remember from the 70s and 80s - well worth a watch:

'We didn't own an Ipad': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeEWtNaW6KE
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    ....You played rugby on a frozen pitch and the match wasn't called off

Well, to be fair, the pitches have to be pretty solidly frozen these days before the matches are called off.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I remember being handed flyers for club-nights during freshers week despite being a member of staff in his thirties. It hasn't happened once this year. Not once.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    When school footballs were made of material that absorbed water and a thunderous sodden smack, on a skinny frozen thigh, in the middle of winter ,would almost bring a tear to the eye.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pacers sweets
    Top Deck
    1/2 pennies and sweets
    5p bags of crisps
    Packets of crisps which were actually full and not full of trapped air!
    Fake Cigarette sweets
    Roller skates you attached to your normal shoes!!!
    :D
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    laurentian wrote:
    Pogles Wood
    Nationwide
    4 points for a trysweet tobacco
    sheath knives
    deposits on bottles
    George Best as a player
    FA Cup Final being the most special day

What about 3points for a try?

In fact what about the days when there were no points
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    Cresta
    Cheese Cloth shirts
    TV going off just after midnight following "Night Thoughts"
    Two Tone trousers
    Watneys Party Sevens
    Top of The Pops records recorded by other musicians and bearing only a faint similarity to the original recording
    Funny Face Ice lollies
  • You played rugby on a frozen pitch and the match wasn't called off

Used to do rugby practice on a concrete playground for the first 2 years of secondary school...
  • Real toys for boys....
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    When British Bulldog was an acceptable lunch time activity
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Milk came in glass bottles (the more pointed version not the later rounded one)
    You could get money back for returning a pop bottle
    You had puddings that came in tin cans that had to be heated as a treat (after the main course of a Vesta Chow Mein)
    You could get a decent bag full of sweets in a 10p mix
    You had to ask a shop keeper for anything you wanted (except in 'supermarkets' which were then about the size of a modern Tesco express)
    The bloke at a petrol station put the fuel in for you and checked your oil if you asked plus they offered a choice of four star or two star.
    I could go out on a 60 mile bike ride and not see anyone else on a bike plus people were amazed that it was possible to ride that far.
    Your parents let you walk the mile to school on your own at 8 years of age without worrying about social services paying a visit.
    You did all your playing in the street.
    You dreamed of owning a computer with 64k ram and whenever you played a game it took about 10 minutes for the cassette to run and then hit a syntax error at the end and crashed or you spent days typing basic in from a magazine and got a few dots on the screen on the rare occassions it didn't crash.
    If you wanted to watch TV on a different region you had to hold an aerial up in the air (first time I watched Zulu my dad had to do this for hours :lol: ). Only posh kids had a TV in their bedroom and those were black and white.
    You can remember everyone getting excited about this new way of playing music - the indestructable CD, smear jam on it and it would still work etc.
  • Pross
    GlenWatt wrote:
    Real toys for boys....

Did you ever see one of those actually work? I never had one but whenever I played with one at a friends house it just fell over.
  • Pross
    I forgot - Salt n Shake crisps where the biggest thrill was counting how many salt bags they put in.
  • Pross wrote:
    You dreamed of owning a computer with 64k ram and whenever you played a game it took about 10 minutes for the cassette to run and then hit a syntax error at the end and crashed or you spent days typing basic in from a magazine and got a few dots on the screen on the rare occassions it didn't crash.

Haha some good ones there Pross,typing in that basic code was frustrating but it was early days,it made me think of these two magazines i used to read.

Comp&VideoGames-May1989-200.jpg
    Crash_Magazine_Cover_Issue_1.jpg
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    John Kline wrote:
    Cresta
    Cheese Cloth shirts
    TV going off just after midnight following "Night Thoughts"
    Two Tone trousers
    Watneys Party Sevens
    Top of The Pops records recorded by other musicians and bearing only a faint similarity to the original recording
    Funny Face Ice lollies

My annual xmas present from my nan.

I definitely remember owning this one..

top-pops-cover.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1317393802328
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Eagle annual for Christmas
    Airfix kits all over the ceiling on wires... Spitfire, hurricane and Messerschmidt cost 2 shillings, Lancaster was 7/6 and short Sunderland flying boat was top of the range at 10/6
  • Ha that's made me think of holding a tape recorder to the tv to record Top Of The Pops,Community centre discos with tip tops and going to the pub to get smokes for my parents,you didn't go in the bars you just rang a bell and a little window opened and you got served,anyone remember that?
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    Woolworths(winfield) football boots because your parents couldn't afford the more exotic Adidas or Gola ones.
    The local chippy giving away chips at the end of dinner opening hour.
    "If your good you can stay up and watch Starskey & Hutch"
    Being able to ride your bike up and down the street(visited my parents today and its like a fooking slalom with all the cars parked on the footpaths).
    Curley wurleys you could scale a wall with.
    Packets of Monster munch that you needed a flat bed truck to bring home.
    Walking through Sutton Coldfields Sainsburys and seeing the Villa players(Little, Mortimer & Andy Gray) doing their shopping.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    $(KGrHqN,!rcFD1dmvL07BRFo3BLB!!~~60_35.JPG
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Calling someone on the phone meant putting your finger in a dial and pushing it round.
    The only shop open on a Sunday was the local newsagents for a few hours in the morning.
    You remember what a pound note looked like. (decimal that is, I'm not that fookin' old :wink: )
    Fat people were a minority.
    There were adverts on TV about wearing seatbelts as if it was a new concept.
    Teachers could give pupils a bloody good hiding with impunity.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Swap Shop OR Tiswas on Saturday mornings.

I was a Tiswas man (boy!) myself. Sally James being a particular highlight :wink:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Ian_d
    Ian_d Posts: 69
    Lucky bags
    Jubley orange juice/frozen jubley(in the summer)
    Beano/Dandy
    Knitted swimming trunks
  • Anyone remember Everest? The pyramid shaped fondant ice cream, not the double glazing endorsed by Ted 'ok Reg let her go' Moult. Really delicious it was.
  • Mikey23
    Listening to radio London on a small crackly transistor radio late at night under the bedclothes...
  • Mikey23
    The end of rationing.... I was 3
  • A few sweet treats

9843164074_ab580bccda_m.jpg
    9843207736_b43b4f63a8_m.jpg
    9843188795_c2da27726a_m.jpg
    9843208386_2bddc841f4_m.jpg
    9843268453_f84afb7a49_m.jpg
    9843209486_3fd8a4d111_m.jpg
    9843270663_cc16dcabe0_m.jpg
    9843209116_e3054f0dba_m.jpg
    9843210016_bf5e025f70_m.jpg
    9843165204_aaa14ac460_m.jpg
    9843165134_7723163e5e_m.jpg
    9843211236_837b4ea042_m.jpg
    9843191335_97347926a6_m.jpg
    9843190265_86de2e3e17_m.jpg
    9843191105_a7d20f64ff_m.jpg
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    laurentian wrote:
    sweet tobacco

One of the people I go cycling with runs one of the two remaining companies in England that make this.