You know you are getting old when you remember thread

AllezAllezAllez
AllezAllezAllez Posts: 207
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
cans of pop had a proper ring pull that you could cut your finger on.....continue

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    What a floppy disc was.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    ...thinking football's new pass back rule would never work.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Le mans wasn't full of chavs
  • This...

Chorlton.jpg
  • Only real cyclist had bikes.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    This...

Chorlton.jpg
    Repeats of this ^^
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    This...

Chorlton.jpg

Bring on, I have got this on DVD ;)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    How about a Raleigh Burner BMX :)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spQY2FbCUtM

When this was the best thing on TV...
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Kajjal wrote:
    This...

Chorlton.jpg

Bring on, I have got this on DVD ;)

My local Poundland, so I would imagine all have Charlton and the Wheelies on DVD for a £1 (funnily enough) my 5 year old turned her nose up at it, but I m defo getting it Saturday. (She does have some taste , repeatedly watches my Wacky Racers DVD)
  • Cans of tennents lager used to have girls on them*

* I was too young to drink them.

mix-tennents.jpg
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    A life without mobile phones, computers, cars. Television was a massive wooden thing like an upturned sideboard with a tiny black and white screen and one channel which was on for about six hours a day

The house I was born in had an outside lavatory and no bathroom. Bath night was a tin bath in front of the fire
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Christmas time TV adverts for....

Some piece of sh!t from Ronco
    Some sh!t compilation album from K-Tel
    Some sh!t smelling perfume by Yardley
    Stylophone (long before Rolf's fall from grace)
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    ...when you can remember when the Argos catalogue was as thick as a magazine

and it sold shit like this..

Argos-Catalogue-Toys-1976-Record-Boxes.jpg

page+111.jpg

Argos-Catalogue-Bikes-1976.jpg
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    ... Queen Victoria's funeral.
  • CiB
    Chorlton & The Wheelies old? Pffft. When the only thing on telly at dinnertime when you were off school with some illness was Crown Court or Fred Trueman's Indoor League, and maybe Rainbow or Hartley the hare. Seeing the first run of Randall & Hopkirk, seeing the Chelsea Leeds Cup Final replay in colour, the first colour tv I ever saw. When all bikes had Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hub gears, a wet football was a dangerous object (but we still headed it), when cars occasionally drove past me Auntie's house but generally it was quiet. When a Sunday lunchtime at the pub developed into a Sinclair C5 race and nobody batted an eyelid at the unannounced arbitrary closure of the road through the village to allow it to take place. When my builder mate could nip out to his van that same day to get his (unloaded) shotgun and point it at our Welsh chum in a jocular fashion after a poor 5 (not 6) Nations result against the taffs, and nobody thought the police ought to get involved. When you could say taffs without wondering how much flak it might generate. When we did O levels; when only the top few went to uni and got a decent grant for going. When football on tv was MoTD on Saturday, Star Soccer on Sunday dinnertime after the pubs shut and live football was England v Scotland, The Cup Final and not much else. When your dad could park in the high street for a bit, and could also leave us in his Land Rover for an hour or so with a bottle of Vimto and a bag of crisps whilst he popped into the pub to see a man about a dog and emerged a while later to drive us all home. When you could drive his Land Rover the last few hundred yards home without thinking all hell would break loose for doing it. When life was easier.
  • CiB
    When it was possible to build a bike out of odd bits, that had front wheel drive but no steering and the front brakes on the back wheel with the brake lever mounted on the crossbar in a ludicrously dangerous place, and when you leant it to your mate to get to school and the local bobby pulled him over and made him walk it was a bit of fun but he walked anyway even when we were out of his sight.

When 15 years later the same now retired bobby remembered it well, and was happy to have a pint lads as you're buying cheers mind how you go how's your dad.

When your dad was a fit young farmer bloke, and isn't now.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    pong.jpeg
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    edited September 2013
    When peanut packet dispenser cards had pretty ladies on them.
    Crisps were 3p a bag.
    Dogsh1t was white
    Candy cigarettes were harmless fun
    Jimmy Saville was a source of public safety information.
    The instruction manual for your latest gadget had a front page B/W photo of man in cardigan with pipe-in-hand, explaining stuff to boy in shorts and tank-top.
  • seanoconn
    When bikes were made of lead and you had to push them up wet, hilly, cobbled streets in order to drop off your basket of bread.
  • When your best mate had one of these...

0928-large.jpg

Whereas you had to make do with one of these...

thumb-lego_487_space_cruiser.jpg
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    When you went to the supermarket with a paper shopping list (rather than on phone or i pad) that contained no brand names.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • simonhead wrote:
    When you went to the supermarket with a paper shopping list (rather than on phone or i pad) that contained no brand names.

I still do that!!

Continuing the retro theme - anyone else recall collecting toy Smurfs from now-defunct petrol station chain National? I think I still have a huge bag of the things in Mum & Dad's loft!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Regent/Texaco (I think) stick on bullet holes ?

And Mars bars at fourpence. That's 4d for the kids...
  • MichaelW wrote:
    Jimmy Saville was a source of public safety information.

Bizarrely, BBC4's The Age of the Train documentary featuring his ad campaign based on said slogan (market research showed that the general public regarded Savile as a figurehead they could trust*) aired not that long before that ITV documentary hit the airwaves and several tons of BBC-related poo hit the fan....

Thankfully the reputation of the Inter-City 125 seems to have fared (no train ticket pun intended) better than that of the bloke advertising it.

David

*Oh dear. Didn't think that one through, did they?
  • simonhead wrote:

I still do that!!

I do neither, I shop freestyle! :D
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    Pogles Wood
    Nationwide
    4 points for a try
    sweet tobacco
    sheath knives
    deposits on bottles
    George Best as a player
    FA Cup Final being the most special day
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • simonhead wrote:

I still do that!!

I'm not especially good at sticking to the list, mind - "reduced items" sections* and booze offers tend to make a well-ordered plan go astray!

David

*I'm sure I've gone for about 12 months before now without paying full whack for a loaf of bread. The joys of evening shopping on the way home from work!
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    simonhead wrote:

I still do that!!

I'm not especially good at sticking to the list, mind - "reduced items" sections* and booze offers tend to make a well-ordered plan go astray!

David

*I'm sure I've gone for about 12 months before now without paying full whack for a loaf of bread. The joys of evening shopping on the way home from work!

The wife and I take it in turns, she does the shopping on line and gets it delivered, i go to the supermarket, we spend about the same amount but i always end up with more stuff. There is something pretty pleasurable about shopping in the evening. Got 2 steaks the other day from Sainsburys a rib eye and a sirloin, should have been £20 in total, cost me £4.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • seanoconn
    simonhead wrote:
    simonhead wrote:

I still do that!!

David

The wife and I take it in turns, she does the shopping on line and gets it delivered, i go to the supermarket, we spend about the same amount but i always end up with more stuff. There is something pretty pleasurable about shopping in the evening. Got 2 steaks the other day from Sainsburys a rib eye and a sirloin, should have been £20 in total, cost me £4.
    Thought I'd logged on to mumsnet by mistake for a minute :lol: