***Spoiler*** Tour of Britain Stage 3

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    So, what's the cut off time and how have the slower riders done? Are we going to see some eliminations?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    mfin wrote:
    Great to have a 10 to watch on a wet Tuesday lunchtime. Great inclusion in the TOB, especially as we've all ridden them, albeit not as slowly as some of this lot :)
    Definitely, I mamanged to time it so it co-incided exactly with my lunch break too ;-)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Graeme_S wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    Turns out my eye is crap.

Well, watching styles or not you're not the only one who expected Dowsett to go quicker, I did, and I expected him to be right up there on this one in these conditions.
    Worth noting that as impressive as Wiggins time is vs the others, it's slower than the slowest time that the OP suggested as the winner's time in the first post of this thread. In these conditions that's not a quick course they're riding on today. I'm sure Wiggins was going slowly in the corners, but so was everybody else.

I'd assume in great conditions that's a course that turns in some mid 18s??
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I think Wiggins lost 10 seconds on the corners compared to Stannard, but gained 40 seconds on the straights.

But with one eye on the worlds why would you risk it?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    porker33 wrote:
    I can't deny it will be interesting how quickly some of the pro's can ride a "10".

I am surprised though at the distance, I wouldn't have thought it would be worth including a TT of <25km in a tour type event?

I heard Magnus and Quigley discussing it as being an interesting comparison to see how the pros do v club TT riders but it really isn't as a '10' as we think of it is often held on a DC drag strip whilst these guys are riding on a closed road with no assistance from passing HGVs. The times being posted reflect this as they are only about what a fairly decent club rider would expect.

As for the length, it's probably about right in a fairly short stage race with very little serious climbing to balance it. The Eneco has a shorter TT as do the likes of Oman and Qatar when they have one. If you make it much longer it becomes very difficult for someone without a strong TT to win the race.
  • Paul 8v
    Watching sans audio here (And with phone calls interrupting) how come 3rd place changed from Jack Bauer?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    As for the length, it's probably about right in a fairly short stage race with very little serious climbing to balance it. The Eneco has a shorter TT as do the likes of Oman and Qatar when they have one. If you make it much longer it becomes very difficult for someone without a strong TT to win the race.
    I think the length is perfect. If there's one thing that defines British bike racing, it's a 10 mile time trial.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    If there's one thing that defines British bike racing, it's a 10 mile time trial.
    This ^^^^
  • mfin wrote:
    Wonder if 'blows away' language will be used if Wiggins wins it? :)

Wiggo's bike has been one-off painted for the occasion in the style of a Slapper's Handbag
    The occasion being the whole season? Same paint job and skin suit as at the Giro.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    If there's one thing that defines British bike racing, it's a 10 mile time trial.
    This ^^^^

Definitely the bangers and mash of british cycle racing.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I think the length is perfect. If there's one thing that defines British bike racing, it's a 10 mile time trial.

It's not a proper '10' unless it's done on an open dual carriageway with a secret code number. They should have held it on the D10/1 - no start ramp, a old duffer sat in his car with a clipboard and stopwatch and a slightly less old duffer standing with an umbrella acting as a pusher off (and none of this following car nonsense).
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Not really long enough to get a real nap out of, though.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wiggins had to do well at this didn't he - as you've all said - the 10 is what all the Brits do - and he's what - 15 miles from home ? Literally a home advantage.

(although most 10 courses don't usually go past the lion enclosure)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Time to get on the turbo... I wonder what 30 mph feels like!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's not a proper '10' unless it's done on an open dual carriageway with a secret code number. They should have held it on the D10/1 - no start ramp, a old duffer sat in his car with a clipboard and stopwatch and a slightly less old duffer standing with an umbrella acting as a pusher off (and none of this following car nonsense).
    I thought that too – the bypass is only about 4-5 miles away; it would have fitted well with TT tradition in the area, while its surface would have put riders, bikes and tyres to the test too.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Well, according to Wiggins himself in the post-race interview he was pushing the roundabouts very hard (riding them at 60km/h)... after testing out his grip on several practice rides earlier in the day.

Maybe his graceful style makes his speed appear deceptive.
  • Nickel wrote:
    Keep an eye out for Marcin Bialoblocki (UK Youth) as a bit of an outsider, did my club's 10 in 18:34 a few weeks back (with 456 watts!). Not saying he'll beat the likes of Wiggo and Dowsett but if he's in good form he should be up there.

I bought his team bike off him a few years back when he moved to Motorpoint. Really nice guy and had a really nice kitchen. Which may have been why he sold the bike as he seemed sad when i wheeled it away.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    So Wiggins stops on all the corners and puts that sort of time in...ridiculous speed.

I really hope Martin brings his best.
    Me too. The WC TT is going to be great if these two TT heavyweights arrive in good shape together.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Nickel wrote:
    Keep an eye out for Marcin Bialoblocki (UK Youth) as a bit of an outsider, did my club's 10 in 18:34 a few weeks back (with 456 watts!). Not saying he'll beat the likes of Wiggo and Dowsett but if he's in good form he should be up there.

I bought his team bike off him a few years back when he moved to Motorpoint. Really nice guy and had a really nice kitchen. Which may have been why he sold the bike as he seemed sad when i wheeled it away.

:lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Nickel wrote:

But he's not from the UK or a Youth...? *scratches head*

Loved seeing him battle it out for podium spots the last two years at Lincoln GP though!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ad_snow wrote:

But he's not from the UK or a Youth...? *scratches head*
    UK Youth is the name of the sponsor - they're a youth development charity.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Time to get on the turbo... I wonder what 30 mph feels like!
    On a turbo - pretty much the same as zero ?
  • Typical tt - can't find the full results - is some old dodderer still chalking them on the blackboard at HQ
  • Typical tt - can't find the full results - is some old dodderer still chalking them on the blackboard at HQ

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-o ... -3/results
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Typical tt - can't find the full results - is some old dodderer still chalking them on the blackboard at HQ

Our evening league times are broadcast on the Internet real time. Would be interested to see the number of hits while the TT is on, bet they're in single figures. That said, we have a full field of entries most weeks (75 riders).
  • carrock wrote:
    I think they should have let some of the tigers loose.

That would have spiced things up a bit.

Totally agree. Feel a bit let down by the route planners. A TT through a safari park could have offered a lot more spectacle........ and some faster times.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    oneof1982 wrote:
    carrock wrote:

Totally agree. Feel a bit let down by the route planners. A TT through a safari park could have offered a lot more spectacle........ and some faster times.

I saw an Oliphant on the course, if that counts.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    oneof1982 wrote:
    carrock wrote:

What do you want them to do? Line the route with animals? :wink:
  • smithy21 wrote:
    oneof1982 wrote:
    carrock wrote:

Sorry, it was a joke. :oops:
  • oneof1982 wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    oneof1982 wrote:
    carrock wrote:

Sorry, it was a joke. :oops:

UK Cycling Expert ‏@ukcyclingexpert 1h
    Odd that Sir David Brailsford didn't pick Kenya-born Christopher Froome for a race in a safari park! Knows his way around lions and tigers.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!