Ride London 2014

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    ajh18 wrote:
    Overall though, my experience of the RL was that the sheer volume of people doing different speeds actually makes it quite hard to do anything other than ride it essentially solo with occasional short periods of cooperation with others.

That's pretty much exactly what i should have said, very true. after puncturing twice i found myself passing a lot of folks and then at the end getting up to the people i was passing at mile 10, before both my flats...
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    boris54 wrote:
    Just in reply to the query about the Freecycle. I've done it both years- but this weekend had my 5 year old riding solo along side me: so wanted to do it at a less busy time. We arrived at Buckingham Palace at 10.00am and can confirm the roads were just fine - enough gaps never to feel stressed about a little one who needed a bit more space, and (apart from some control at Admiralty Arch) no stops because of the weight of cyclists at that time.
    In short, if you want more speed and more space, get there early!

Thanks for that!
    I should have got up earlier then, it was absolutely rammed at about 1pm.
  • On the freecycle, We joined at tower hill @ 8.45 - roads already closed, as they were last year.
    Full lap with my nine year old done by 9.15 with no traffic whatsoever. Next 1/2 lap complete by 9.45, and to be honest the embankment was getting pretty rammed by then.
    Tempted to take the road bike up early next year for a blitz lap!!
  • JohnW52
    JohnW52 Posts: 34
    sherer wrote:
    Does it go over a different route to the ride 100 ? Keep meaning to try it one year, realise it's just a slow ride but still something nice to do
    Yes, The route stays on The Embankment, goes past the Houses of Parliament, up Birdcage Walk and the other way up The Mall to Admiralty Arch and back down a bit of Whitehall to get back on The Embankment. Then loops round St Pauls back to the Tower.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    Were the rider dossard numbers on Sunday roughly indicative of start time?

Paul
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    not sure as I think some colours of start may have gone in reverse order based on what I saw out on the road.
  • paul2718 wrote:

Paul

No, I was 34995 and started at 06.25, My friend was 7425 (or something like that) and started after me.
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Did the letters mean anything? Was it alphabetical for the order of starting?
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    DHA987S wrote:
    Did the letters mean anything? Was it alphabetical for the order of starting?

Yeah, the letters were for the waves.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • yes, but each colour had its own sets of letters too - and all the letters didn't go at the same time.

I was Yellow F (due out at 0730) and we went out alongside Black N.
  • Got link through for photos.

£17.99 for each downloaded photo :shock:. Bizarrely it's cheaper to order a printed photo.

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.
  • birdie23
    Cartebleu wrote:
    Got link through for photos.

£17.99 for each downloaded photo :shock:. Bizarrely it's cheaper to order a printed photo.

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

No, you're right!

Bit disappointed by the photo offerings. Same company did the Etape Pennines and the pack with all your photos was cheaper and there were more photos of me in that one.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    £35 for the full set of 15 in my case. Not too bad considering the weather conditions. On one of mine the sun is out!
  • sherer
    Mikey23 wrote:
    £35 for the full set of 15 in my case. Not too bad considering the weather conditions. On one of mine the sun is out!
    Yes that is what I had. Didn't look at one on its own so not sure what that would cost
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    terry2708 wrote:
    paul2718 wrote:

Paul

No, I was 34995 and started at 06.25, My friend was 7425 (or something like that) and started after me.
    That's a shame. I thought it might be quite interesting to look at the published results and see whether 'perfect' seeding would reduce rider density. Some nice animations drifted to mind. But you would need to be able to see actual start order, which clearly isn't obvious.

I suppose now it is quiet at the organisers offices it might be worth a query.

Paul
  • birdie23
    Mikey23 wrote:

I'd be happy with it if there were more than 5 and two weren't the same picture!
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • I take your point about the pack being cheaper, but there were probably only 2 photos that I would have wanted to keep. The rest were either similar or just not very good. There was even one of someone else :roll: .
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    My (our) photos were brilliant - 37, mostly different, and spread across the entire event.

Everyone loves a tandem seems to also include photographers!

Really pleased with them, as we had, until this point, no photos of us actually riding a tandem; plenty of us stood by tandems touring etc., but nothing in motion.
  • sherer
    think we have to give the photographers some credit for standing out in the wind and rain for 9 hours taking pictures of bikes. They were on Box Hill last year so not sure where those people moved to.

Mainly saw them at Kingston, The Mall and at the end.
  • Cartebleu wrote:
    I take your point about the pack being cheaper, but there were probably only 2 photos that I would have wanted to keep. The rest were either similar or just not very good. There was even one of someone else :roll: .

I had 6 photos.

2 were of the same picture post event, and 3 were of someone else. So 1 photo of me riding a bike.

Oh well. You don't have to buy them.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    sherer wrote:
    think we have to give the photographers some credit for standing out in the wind and rain for 9 hours taking pictures of bikes. They were on Box Hill last year so not sure where those people moved to.

Mainly saw them at Kingston, The Mall and at the end.

Oh, you couldn't have paid me all the money in the world to sit there on Sunday. Bad enough riding a bike through it. Poor people! We gave them a smile and a wave whenever we saw them!

14906750522_474e619cfc.jpg
  • marcusjb wrote:
    Marcus - what colour was your tandem? I caught a tow off a couple on a blue one around South Kensington I think. I was really having to give it some beans just to stay on their wheel at about 45km/h.

Unlikely to have been us - we can make the thing cruise at 45kph on the flats without too much effort as that is what tandems are good at - but we're not ever so racey and were mainly cruising at 30-35. We were playing with what the new tandem can do, and on a couple of the really big roads we were able to get it to cruise at 50 for a while without killing ourselves - way faster than old tandem, but we were running out of gears (this tandem is really for loaded touring, so the gearing is a little low for that sort of thing (100" top gear)).

It is blue, by name (Viola Blue), but more purple to my eyes.

It did get a lot of attention as stuff like the dual Gates Carbon Drives is pretty wacky, along with Rohloff, S&S, fancy brakes and stuff - so we had to answer lots of questions about it as we went around. It was it's first big ride and we were very pleased with it overall.

FYI, I found the tandem I hitched a lift with. I just looked through the tandem results for people who did it quicker than me. It was piloted by a Jonathon Cook. And there's was definitely blue and yours is purple!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    It's strange that my wife has 30 photos and I have 8, we rode the whole distance together, perhaps she's more photgenic than I am! At least I'm in the background of some of hers!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • sorry if this has been covered already - there's a lot of this thread to get through if you haven't been around for a few days.
    Are there any other photos around except the official ones at Marathon Photos?
    Cheers.
  • DHA987S
    There were some on the SportivePhoto facebook page, but I don't think they were "official" photographers so they aren't on their website
  • Thanks. Just four quite boring pics at the finishing line for me. Rode past several photographers on the course at corners etc who definitely snapped me. But wasn't wearing helmet number so that might be why they aren't coming up.
  • The camera must love me.........48 photos although a lot the same. Me riding in the rain!
  • DHA987S
    No helmet number for me either, only 5 photos. Given you can't really zoom in on them to see what they are like its not exactly easy to gauge if they are any good.
  • sednihp
    sednihp Posts: 9
    What an awesome day, despite the weather. I didn't start until 8, so I started in relatively nice weather but when I got to the first feed station to meet up with my friend the heavens had properly opened. The road was a river and one guy couldn't see the kerb so went over his handlebars (at a very low speed). Luckily the sun came out for the back half of the ride, and we managed to finish in beautiful weather, but we got caught in the quick storm just after 2pm whilst we were collecting our bags (just after the PA guy announced there was a "second wave" coming). That was cold!

Made it all the way in 5:55 (5:18 moving) which I was well chuffed with. Avg speed of 16.2mph which is my highest for any ride. It was a bit depressing/funny to be going through Kingston around 9am on the way out and seeing people already on their way back in though (probably some of you guys).

The atmosphere on the route was really special, knowing that the fans were willing to stand there in the pouring rain to cheer us on really put a smile on my face, especially the last few hundred metres onto and down the mall. The photos of me were ok, there were 2 good ones, one where I'm most of the way out of the shot and then one of some random bloke finishing in the rain. Not really worth the £20 or whatever they're asking for them. :(

I'll definitely be back in a few years after skipping next year for a small wedding thing...
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    But wasn't wearing helmet number so that might be why they aren't coming up.
    I think that it did say on the back of the helmet sticker that its sole purpose was to ID the photographs.