Ride London 2014

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    there's no incentive for the organisers either as any places that went to BC people could just as easily go to a charity rider.

All they can do is try and make sure quicker people go at the front and slower riders at the back. It's not a perfect system and we know some will lie to get a earlier start when they are slow and others will be quick and at the back.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Was brilliant yesterday watching the replay of the race over all the bits i had ridden over. I thought the final stretch from kingston back to the finish was the only bit i really enjoyed as i knew i was going to make it, feeling strong, confident and dry and flying along by my standards. Up to then everything was an exercise in survival. Even hitting the rainstorm in central london with two to go was a minor inconvenience...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    iPete wrote:
    Agree, it was as close to road racing as I may get, it had it all, except any actually racing/attacking.
    Personally, I wish all the people that treat it like a race would just sod off and race in actual races instead.

Not pointing the finger at you Pete, for all I know you were the epitome of respectful consideration, but as did most here, I expect, I saw a lot of people going hell for leather through non-existent gaps, cutting people up, passing dangerously - putting others at risk, all for the sake of saving a few seconds.

Racing is fine if you want to go and race, but the RL100 in a monsoon is not the place to do it, or even play at doing it.

And I agree but my comment still stands about the race 'feel', yellow mavic cars, similar route to the pros, handing out gels to moving riders, fast groups, lots of experienced club riders, professionals and ex professionals in the early groups etc. Only it wasn't racing, helped out other riders from different clubs, didn't try to drop them.

I found a very fast group, lots of shouting as we passed groups, slow on the downs and v.slow into the corners but hard acceleration out and fast on the straights where it was safer but there is always risk in a paceline going 30mph.

Can't guarantee that at no point there were no close passes but throw 20k people into close proximity and it'll happen. I thought the standard of riding was very high. Perhaps further back it was more of an issue?

Or perhaps because I've done the Dunwich Dynamo I know what properly poor unpredictable riding is :lol:

A BC category event would be daft and even more flawed. It's not a race pure and simple.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    iPete wrote:
    Can't guarantee that at no point there were no close passes but throw 20k people into close proximity and it'll happen. I thought the standard of riding was very high. Perhaps further back it was more of an issue?

It was slightly further back, as i punctured pretty much immediately after clearing one of the bridges and got to Walton and had to stop again.

The trouble is that people were hitching a lift and then not doing work so people like myself were towing others along at lower speeds (24-25mph), and not getting help. I did 85-90% of that solo as far as work was shared, and only rested or sat in the wheels for very short periods. for the most part it was either small trains that were slow, or single individuals that had very little idea of group riding but were more interested in hitching a lift!

Having said that it was a great experience, but not one i'll be doing again.

Was good fun but that weather was pretty harsh.
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    I think there is a big difference in "racing" and just riding fast to get a time you want.

Going fast is fine in a mass participation event as long as it is done safely, giving space to those who are less able and those who want to just pedal along and enjoy the atmosphere.

I can hold my own on a group ride but did Sunday solo and took time to look around. I had never ridden anywhere on that route and it was great to see it all. As a result I got overtaken by many fast individuals and groups. The vast majority were fine, but inevitably there were some idiots that passed by and bumped me, even though there was loads of room. And a few bigger idiots that think there bike finishes at the rear of their saddle. I had four of them cut in and clip my front wheel.

Nothing to moan about really. It's just life. I have competed in half a dozen sports and every one has had it's fair share of inconsiderate, boorish, dangerous egotists. Cycling is no better or worse. It's just a reflection of humanity.
  • leechy12
    leechy12 Posts: 47
    I really enjoyed the whole experience, despite leaving home at 03.45 for a 06.25 start! I felt sorry for the blokes from Dundee Wheeler's in my load who'd come down to ride the iconic route and take on the climbs only to have it cut short then to contend with the torrential rain.
    I was lucky enough not to puncture running on Conti 4000s 25mm with about 500 miles on them. I did perhaps feel on the odd occassion that I was towing around a few hangers on, but at the same time its not a race. The only time I felt a little worried was in Richmond Park and the numbers seemed to mass up, fortunately is was still dry at this stage for me.

It would be interesting to see a spreadsheet populated in time order and I'm sure there may be a link out there.....
    VeloViewer Score
    From 100 of 1,168 segments.
    Maximum possible score: 99.95
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    I think there is a big difference in "racing" and just riding fast to get a time you want.

Going fast is fine in a mass participation event as long as it is done safely, giving space to those who are less able and those who want to just pedal along and enjoy the atmosphere.

Nothing to moan about really. It's just life. I have competed in half a dozen sports and every one has had it's fair share of inconsiderate, boorish, dangerous egotists. Cycling is no better or worse. It's just a reflection of humanity.
    Completely agree with the above.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    [/quote]

The trouble is that people were hitching a lift and then not doing work so people like myself were towing others along at lower speeds (24-25mph), and not getting help. I did 85-90% of that solo as far as work was shared, and only rested or sat in the wheels for very short periods. for the most part it was either small trains that were slow, or single individuals that had very little idea of group riding but were more interested in hitching a lift!
    [/quote]

That's just what happens in Sportives I'm afraid.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    Very true. Unfortunately a friend of mine got wiped out by one of these that went into a turn too fast. Took his front wheel out sending him flying, managed to stay on themselves and didn't even look round to apologise. Thankfully my friend was ok, just a bit battered and grazed.
    I wish karma really did work and came back to haunt these types.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Curto80 wrote:

Maybe that's what the guy I overheard at the start meant. He said to someone "I'm just going to ride this like it's a sportive", I have no idea what he meant by that. Would he ride like more of a tool or less of one. Made me laugh anyway.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I do not really get the difference between people that are being labelled as 'racing' and those just trying to get a fast time.

The only two distinctions I can think of is that some people act like knobs when riding fast and some people will have an attitude to anyone riding fast with decent bike and kit.

The word 'race' is irrelevant. Most people will be racing themselves or maybe a friend etc. and there is nothing wrong with that IMO.

To say that people who want to ride the event fast should enter a proper race just sounds like you have a massive chip on your shoulder.

People just need to stop acting like d1cks, be they fast or newbie riders.
    Its never going to happen though so just make the best of it.

Odd thing I saw was guys adopting an aero position to coast/freewheel while in the middle of a massive group of riders :shock:
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Carbonator wrote:
    To say that people who want to ride the event fast should enter a proper race just sounds like you have a massive chip on your shoulder.
    If you're paraphrasing me, here, perhaps go to Specsavers and then read what I posted again.

I've got nothing against people riding the event fast. Heck, even though I'm Captain Slow, I try to ride the event fast. It's not fast by most people's standards but I'm not competing with others (because it's not a race).

What I object to is where riding the event fast becomes the sole objective, to the exclusion of safety and consideration for others. I know that dangerous riding isn't desirable in races either, but it's something to expect more than in a sportive - that's what I mean by the distinction. Sorry if that's too complicated a concept.

You sum it up well here, though:
    People just need to stop acting like d1cks, be they fast or newbie riders.
    Its never going to happen though so just make the best of it.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Well that was wet... I have just about dried out now. This was my first sportive and the furthest I've ever ridden, I cycle occasionally but getting into RideLondon made me go out regularly, and try and turn some fat to muscle...

Even just heading up to the start I saw three or four go down near the Blackwall Tunnel when someone took the corner too fast and took out a traffic cone. The carnage continued from then on, and I was in the 8am wave so I presume with the "dawdlers". We waited for 20 mins in Richmond Park while they picked up the guy mentioned earlier in the thread - hope he's OK. Then biblical rain and flooding from Kingston all the way to Newlands. More crashes out in Surrey. Then it dried up, my legs kept going, I finally got a puncture heading up Whitehall but wasn't going to stop so bumbled over the line with the tyre deflating fast... 5h40 including the 20 min stop is undoubtedly slow for most of you but I was happy to get home in one piece. :-)

Most people were considerate and gave each other space, there were a few idiots and chaingangs powering through the throng even in the last waves. Why did they not start earlier? While I was disappointed not to do the full 100, I know Box and Leith they would have been lethal with that many riders, that wet and slippery.

I'm inspired to do more now, although I need to find events that are "fat lad friendly", some people are very fast and serious!

This is not (yet) the London Marathon - I saw no bunny suits or rhino outfits, even at the back of the field.

Condolences to the friends and family of the poor guy who died. 36 is way too young.

WD
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,601
    I had a good ride. Disappointed that the distance and hills were cut but i understand why. I wasn't concerned about any riding I saw particularly, some groups charged through in places and some people were weaving about when they were tired, so both ends of the spectrum but neither were that serious (for me).
    I thought facilities were great, though I only used the roadside portaloos twice and grabbed a couple of gels at the end. The start was prompt, the bag deposit worked and there was enough stuff in the goodie bag to get a decent end of ride fix up. The only real bad litter spots I saw were where the gels were being handed out so I figured that would be cleared up as part of the deal?
    I thought id do it once and do something else, but having not done the 100 and the 'hills' then ill probably try and go back next year. I guess a sunny warm day would be an even better atmosphere too, but fair play to all the roadside support, it makes a real difference.

8)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    This is not (yet) the London Marathon - I saw no bunny suits or rhino outfits, even at the back of the field.

WD
    The was the guy on a Boris bike; the guy wearing a Desmond and then rider #9459 .......
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I'm inspired to do more now, although I need to find events that are "fat lad friendly", some people are very fast and serious!
    There are thousands of sportives and charity rides organised all over the country. The Wiggle ones are easy to find, big and well organised. In most of these events the field will be much thinner than the Ride London, and because the roads are open the faster groups might be more inhibited. Many smaller events and charity events are using the British Cycling system to manage entries, which means you can search the BC web site by date and area for suitable events. IMO it's well worth riding a few events before the RL100. And after. I can't see that it is sufficiently interesting as a sole target for now and for ever.

I remember from the RL last year that when there were intermittent groups of relatively slow cyclists on the left there was still sufficient draft to make it worth dropping in and out of the gaps. If you pick up a few hangers on, and it can be hard to tell exactly what is going on several bike lengths behind, then it might start to seem a little aggressive to the overtaken. If I give you a respectful few feet and pull over then the wheel-sucker behind is now in the wind unless he chops you. Multiply by n...

Paul
  • wonkey donkey - all sportives are fat lad friendly. The time you take doesn't matter as long as you beat the (usually generous) cut off time or the organisers haven't gone home. I organise a sportive for our club and we get every level of rider from ex or current pro, decent racing club level cyclists and complete newbies who have not ridden an event before. The whole idea of a sportive is to get people enjoying cycling together.

As for the event this weekend, I got in it again through the ballot and must admit standing on the start line knowing it had been shortened was a bit of a blow, but myself and two team mates had already agreed if weather is foul just to ride at a steady pace (20mph ish) and avoid the inevitable spills that would be happening.

Saw a few crashes happen, but none were related to a weather, one was obviously a rider clipping a wheel, another two riders tangling together and then on the run in to the finish we heard a bang and one guy had smacked into the central reservation, that one looked painful.

Of course there were dodgy riders, if I spotted them I steered clear, simple.

Did they start the time at the Olympic park this time? My time for the first 17 miles was an hour and a half, due to me and team mate going through the start then at the first corner peeling off going for a 40 minute ride and coming back to wait for another team mate - who we then lost at the first feed lol!
  • sherer
    I was looking for the mile 0 marker we had last year after the left turn but never saw it so didn't reset my computer on my bike until over 2 miles in !
  • HertsG
    Did they start the time at the Olympic park this time? My time for the first 17 miles was an hour and a half, due to me and team mate going through the start then at the first corner peeling off going for a 40 minute ride and coming back to wait for another team mate - who we then lost at the first feed lol!
    sherer wrote:
    I was looking for the mile 0 marker we had last year after the left turn but never saw it so didn't reset my computer on my bike until over 2 miles in !
    The start was right at the start - luckily I heard the commentator say this on the PA. At that point I hadn't even turned my Garmin on, let alone reset it. I had been planning to do this once we set off, but just got it done in time for riding over the sensors.

Aside from the short cuts, the route was slightly different this year. Last year, we certainly went through Cobham but Sunday's approach to Sandown Park was somewhat different. I guess that affected the start point to maintain 100 miles.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    HertsG wrote:
    The start was right at the start - luckily I heard the commentator say this on the PA. At that point I hadn't even turned my Garmin on, let alone reset it. I had been planning to do this once we set off, but just got it done in time for riding over the sensors.

I wonder if that was a response to last year, where as soon as you left the starting straight and went around the first corner to leave the Olympic Park, there were a good 60 people or so waiting for others at the side of the road. It's a bit of a weird sight, especially given people have been waiting to start, and given that they say you aren't allowed to switch waves, it kind of undermines that when its not actually the real start.

Or alternatively, perhaps they got rid of the neutralized section just to make up another two miles because of the fact that it was no longer 100.

Did the goodie bags have any Salad Cream this year? :lol:
  • HertsG
    Rich_E wrote:
    HertsG wrote:
    Did the goodie bags have any Salad Cream this year? :lol:
    No salad cream.

I think there was:
    • a bottle of water
    • a 500ml Prudential Boris 100 bidon
    • a small bag of Hambros
    • a sample bag of rabbit breakfast food
    • a carton of coconut water
    • HIGH5 sample box
    • but no cuddly toy :(
  • ajh18
    ajh18 Posts: 41
    philbar72 wrote:

This is one of the things that doesn't massively bother me in a sportive. If you're basically engaged in a personal challenge rather than a race, having people follow you isn't really that big a deal. Better than having them in the way. I'll hitch a lift if there's someone doing an appropriate pace, and pick up a tail if I'm going well (they won't get an awful lot of shelter from the wind back there - the 15 people who followed me for 5 miles or so past Weem in the Etape Caley this year must have been desperate and short of alternatives).

Overall though, my experience of the RL was that the sheer volume of people doing different speeds actually makes it quite hard to do anything other than ride it essentially solo with occasional short periods of cooperation with others.

It bothers me on my commute, mind you.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I didnt think the riding was all that bad. Admittedly i did do something a bit stupid myself at one point when i drifted wide coming out of a corner to avoid a manhole cover and squeezed out another rider in the process almost putting him into the barriers - i did apologise though in my defence! Other than that i only saw a couple of really moronic moves but thats not so bad considering the numbers involved.

Although it is a bit of cause and effect. The earlier waves will have more open road and less traffic in front than will be the case if you start in a later wave, plus the faster riders in the early waves are likely going to be more experienced with close group riding so what they are going to do is going to be more predictable and when you are around predictable riders things always seem much safer. And when things feel safer everyone relaxes a bit too, dont over correct / brake / react and things become a bit more safer too.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Not sure if this has been posted over here. Spread sheet in order of finishing times for the first 19,000 or so.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =508916983

• ..... whereas Marianne Vos rode it the only way you'd expect, getting round in 3:30! ..... she's an awesomely awesome machine and should be recongised as such!

I can certainly vouch for that!

Was lucky enough to get passed by the group of 10 riders she was in around the half way mark and managed to get myself onto the train. When she wasn't smashing it on the front and ripping the legs off all of us, she was happy to chat to us as we hurtled along. Suddenly, the crap weather didn't seem to matter with the best wheel in the world to follow all the way onto The Mall. Her team-mate Roxane Knetemann was also pretty rapid and rather charming too! :wink:

What a great sport this is!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Can I ask any members that see any language like the ex member "I swim with dopings" to report them please, we really don't need posts like the ones he made, thank-you.
  • boris54
    boris54 Posts: 11
    Just in reply to the query about the Freecycle. I've done it both years- but this weekend had my 5 year old riding solo along side me: so wanted to do it at a less busy time. We arrived at Buckingham Palace at 10.00am and can confirm the roads were just fine - enough gaps never to feel stressed about a little one who needed a bit more space, and (apart from some control at Admiralty Arch) no stops because of the weight of cyclists at that time.
    In short, if you want more speed and more space, get there early!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    boris54 wrote:
    Just in reply to the query about the Freecycle. I've done it both years- but this weekend had my 5 year old riding solo along side me: so wanted to do it at a less busy time. We arrived at Buckingham Palace at 10.00am and can confirm the roads were just fine - enough gaps never to feel stressed about a little one who needed a bit more space, and (apart from some control at Admiralty Arch) no stops because of the weight of cyclists at that time.
    In short, if you want more speed and more space, get there early!

Thanks for the tip - my 8 and 5 yr old sons are desperate to do it next year. Will try to remember to heed your advice.
  • sherer
    Does it go over a different route to the ride 100 ? Keep meaning to try it one year, realise it's just a slow ride but still something nice to do
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Curto80 wrote:

Maybe that's what the guy I overheard at the start meant. He said to someone "I'm just going to ride this like it's a sportive", I have no idea what he meant by that. Would he ride like more of a tool or less of one. Made me laugh anyway.

most were perfectly safe, Thing is i'm not particularly big so they wouldn't get much shelter, but they did definitely get their average speed up. :D