Ride London 2014

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi,
    would say the best two things you can do is join a club and enter a couple of sportive's (make one at least 65 miles).

This will help you get used to group riding and have an idea of what a sportive feels like so that its not all new on the day.
    Riding with a club will get you up too speed a lot quicker too.

You probably have to pick your number up the day before so staying locally would make sense if you can.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    antonyrich wrote:
    Do most people stay t he night before? Or what's the best way to get there as you can't take bike on the tube. Don't want to spend 3hrs travelling as its gonna be a long day :wink:
    Is there anybody near me doing it? As I'm a bit of a Billy no mates when it comes to cycling, could do with a training/travel partner!
    I'm based in Thatcham, Berkshire.
    Either stay locally over night and walk/ride to the start, or drive to one of the car parks and get the provided transport to the start.

TBH, you've left it a bit late to get local hotel accommodation - it's all a lot more popular than last year.

Either way, it's going to be an early start.

Read the provided documentation carefully, and figure out your options.

I was in the same position as you last year. I built up my miles gradually to 80, about a month before, then I reduced gradually to about 40 the weekend before, and did just couple of short gentle rides during the final week.

If you've done no group riding, try and go out with a club a few times during the training. It will make you safer (= less of a liability) in close proximity to others, which there'll be a fair bit of, on the day.

If you've got a place, you've got the mag. There are training programmes in there for all levels. They're not perfect, but they're better than nothing, and you could do a lot worse than start with the beginner programme.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Starfish1
    Starfish1 Posts: 25
    Hey guys,

We've been out training this weekend and are getting really excited about the event. Let us know if anyone missed out on the ballot and is still looking for a place as we still have a few charity places up for grabs!
    http://bit.ly/1jBYRqk

Happy cycling!
    Helen
  • I am the Fundraising Assistant for the British Tinnitus Association and have four places to fill for the London to Surrey Prudential Rise 100 (100 mile cycle) taking place on Sunday 20th August.

I am told this event was oversubscribed by 20,000 people but I am finding it hard to find 4 bikers willing to race and fundraise. So if there is anywhere else I should be posting this please let me know - or please share far and wide!

I need to get 4 more cyclists signed up by 9th May or we lose the places.

Please, please help.

Further information can be found on our website www.tinnitus.org.uk or to reserve a place please email me patrick@tinnitus.org.uk
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    you know it's not a race don't you ... ?
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    It shouldn't be surprising it's hard to fill the places at £600 at time.

Paul
  • Anonymous
    Slowbike wrote:
    you know it's not a race don't you ... ?

Closed roads = Race :P
  • Anonymous
    I am the Fundraising Assistant for the British Tinnitus Association and have four places to fill for the London to Surrey Prudential Rise 100 (100 mile cycle) taking place on Sunday 20th August.

I am told this event was oversubscribed by 20,000 people but I am finding it hard to find 4 bikers willing to race and fundraise. So if there is anywhere else I should be posting this please let me know - or please share far and wide!

It would have been oversubscribed by more than 20,000 people but they were all wanting in without having to fundraise.

I think everyone should fundraise at least once, this event and your charity would seem a good pairing for a lot of people so I hope you fill your places.

I took a charity place last year after not getting in on the ballot and I am so glad I did.
    It was easier to raise the money than I thought it would be and I really enjoyed the event/day.
    I think having ridden the event last year helped me get a ballot place this year too.

Would you drop the cost of your places rather than hand them back?
    I will be looking to 'buy' a place next year if I do not get in on the ballot.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Carbonator wrote:
    I am the Fundraising Assistant for the British Tinnitus Association and have four places to fill for the London to Surrey Prudential Rise 100 (100 mile cycle) taking place on Sunday 20th August.

It would have been oversubscribed by more than 20,000 people but they were all wanting in without having to fundraise.

I think everyone should fundraise at least once, this event and your charity would seem a good pairing for a lot of people so I hope you fill your places.

I took a charity place last year after not getting in on the ballot and I am so glad I did.
    It was easier to raise the money than I thought it would be and I really enjoyed the event/day.
    I think having ridden the event last year helped me get a ballot place this year too.

Would you drop the cost of your places rather than hand them back?
    I will be looking to 'buy' a place next year if I do not get in on the ballot.
    Agree but I would like to see the ballot weighted in favor of those who have previously made the effort of fundraising.
  • Anonymous
    Stedman wrote:
    Agree but I would like to see the ballot weighted in favor of those who have previously made the effort of fundraising.

I think that the fact they had an accurate time for me due to having done it (charity place) the previous year helped me get a ballot place this year, so I kind of did get preferential treatment for having raised cash if that is the case

Either way I feel I deserve the ballot place this year so was glad to get in.

Might be a good idea to prioritise previous years charity place riders.
    It would increase the take-up of charity places (it is mainly a fund raising event at the end of the day), it means you are more, not less likely to get a place even though you have done it before (which I thought would count against me), and it realises that you cannot keep asking people for sponsorship to do an event you want to do.
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    For anyone who has missed out in the ballot, my cycle campaign were contacted by samaritans yesterday and they still have 20 guaranteed places to fill.

Have a look here. http://www.samaritans.org/support-us/ra ... london-100
    I have no idea what it costs or if you have to raise a certain ammount.
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • philclubman
    philclubman Posts: 229
    For anyone looking for a place on Ride 100, SADS UK have got places http://www.sadsuk.org.

It is a great cause. Details are below - please get in touch with them directly if you want a place. First come first served.

"The national cardiac SADS UK is a charity affiliated with the Prudential Ride London – Surrey Cycling Event taking place on Sunday 10th August 2014. SADS UK charity places are still available at the event if you would like to take part. We ask participants to raise a minimum of £400 in sponsorship/donations to SADS UK.

If you would like to take part please contact admin.sadsuk@btconnect.com by 1pm on Friday 2nd May to enable the charity to send you a link to register/secure your place prior to the registration deadline of Monday 5th May.

Below is the link to the website so you can find out a little more about this great event celebrating the cycling legacy created at the London 2012 Olympic Games:

http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/T ... ey_100.htm

Places will be allocated on a strictly first come first served basis."

Apologies to resurrect an old thread, but thought it better than starting yet another.
  • I am riding for the Child Bereavement Charity.
    http://www.childbereavement.org.uk/GetI ... 0Cycle2014

They still have places available.
    £50 registration.
    £500 sponsorship commitment.

And you get an awesome yellow and pink jersey.

Bit like Leading TDF and Giro at the same time. :D

You do not have to wear it upside down.

1cfbe95e94f50fc115ffb9b45e88f585.jpg
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    My friend Kate has also passed me of these charity place details. If you are interested in 'doing something amazing for autism', the National Autistic Society have a few final places available so if you would like to take part in this landmark cycling event, please contact Kate Donohue on 020 7903 3663 or kate.donohue@nas.org.uk.

Registration fee: £50
    Minimum sponsorship: £700

Whether you nero-typical and know someone, (or relative) who is autistic, you are on the spectrum or interested in autism, you are welcomed to come and join us.

From my own experience, Team NAS do look after us well with their own dedicated feed-stations so there is no need to queue and there was a special reception (with food) laid on after the finish.
  • Anonymous
    Seems like there are a lot more charity places left this year.

BHF upped their prices by 20% from last year but I think the 'cost' of them may have to fall in future years as people cannot keep asking for sponsorship to do things.
    If you ask for sponsorship you are then obliged to sponsor that person back for at least the same amount if they ask, so you end up paying for the place yourself in the long run.

Would be interesting to know how many people do not meet the minimum amount to be raised, either from others or topping up themselves.

Some charities seemed to be taking reg fees but not guaranteeing a place last year, then giving the place to whoever pledged to raise the most.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    for this year I've taken a charity place but shall be putting in the money myself. Don't mind doing that once but next year if I don't get in for free i'll have to skip the event. I can't keep asking the same people for money all the time as that isn't fair.

Seems this is another event that's now been taken over by charities and I wonder how long they can sustain the amounts they are requesting
  • JohnW52
    JohnW52 Posts: 34
    I'm not sure you can complain that the event has been taken over by charities when it was specifically designed as a funding event for charities. It is after all run by the people who run the London Marathon and they intend to follow the same model. The slight complication they have here is that a 100 mile bike ride for a keen cyclist is nothing like the challenge of running a marathon. It's likely to move towards less experienced cyclists being in the majority, where the effort is a genuine challenge.
  • Anonymous
    How 'less experienced' can you get though?
    The concept of it being difficult enough to be a big enough challenge to ask for cash for just doesn't add up IMO.
  • paul2718
    It's likely to move towards less experienced cyclists being in the majority, where the effort is a genuine challenge.
    I think it is already past that point.

It does seem strange that what should be the biggest and best 'sportive' in the country is firmly targeted at beginners.

I'd have a minority of balloted charity places for beginners and a qualification standard for the rest via feeder events. Promote a reason to get fitter and faster that isn't conventional racing. Why isn't the Ride London a round of the UCI World Cycling Tour?

Paul
  • Anonymous
    It kind of still is the biggest and best sportive if you get in and start early :D

Not sure how they can balance the need for it to be a massive fundraising event and a great sporting one, but hope it grows into just that.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    paul2718 wrote:
    It's likely to move towards less experienced cyclists being in the majority, where the effort is a genuine challenge.
    I think it is already past that point.

It does seem strange that what should be the biggest and best 'sportive' in the country is firmly targeted at beginners.

I'd have a minority of balloted charity places for beginners and a qualification standard for the rest via feeder events. Promote a reason to get fitter and faster that isn't conventional racing. Why isn't the Ride London a round of the UCI World Cycling Tour?

Paul

Sorry Paul but what an absolute load of Tosh, why should I have to qualify by racing or competing in events, I ride my bike because I want to, sometimes fast and sometimes slow, the Ridelondon was for me a great event last year and if I hadn't of got in automatically this year then I would have paid for a Charity place, but at my age I do not see why I should ride competitively just so that those who are faster can qualify and guarantee their places.

As for being targeted at Beginners, I was riding and racing in the late 60's so hardly a beginner.

And as for qualification events, why? I don't necessarily want to ride other events, preferring just to ride my bike and enjoy the odd special event like this! :roll:
  • paul2718
    Did I say it was targeted at you?

The bulk of entries go to charities, the bulk of regular riders cannot justify asking others to pay for their ride. So it's beginners who can sell riding 100 miles or others who can pay for it themselves who form the bulk of the entry, rather than regular 'keen' cyclists.

But you can go and ride 100 miles for charity at innumerable events all over the country most weekends of the year. So it's a shame that this event, with its unique attributes, is rendered banal, not about the cream of amateur cyclists.

Enjoy your ride. I enjoyed last year, I'd like another go, maybe next year. I have no illusions that I would qualify under my imagined regime.

Paul
  • Anonymous
    I agree that it should be more for keen amateur cyclists (maybe it mainly is as thats what I mainly saw last year) but how do you achieve that when it has to raise funds?

Keen amateurs are not going to win the races to get in anyway and it sounds like you want to race for a place because you think its an easy way for you to get in.

If its the biggest and best sportive then it seems right that it would cost the most.
    £500 is a bit steep granted, but what would you pay for a place if it were ticket only like most sportives are?

Have you ever raised money for a charity event? Do you give any largish amounts (i.e. not a pound in a tin) of money to charity?
    I dont agree with the concept of asking people for donations (unless its a very big goal for a very good reason) but did it (self funded a bit too) last year to get in and think this years place owes a bit to having done that.

Next year I will pay if need be so each year will have cost me about £250 a year on average. An amount I am happy to pay for such a sportive (not forgetting a big part of that goes to charity).
  • Does anyone know when we can book parking spaces..?
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    That's me booked and riding for Bowel & Cancer Research!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • Anonymous
    Well done that man :wink:

Now get training, only three months to go :P
  • Vandiesel
    Carbonator wrote:
    Well done that man :wink:

Now get training, only three months to go :P
    yup Box Hill is on my mind!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • Anonymous
    Leith Hill is the main hill and its not that bad.
    Box Hill is just a long slope upwards.

Do some hill training and you will be fine.
    You need to learn to enjoy hills rather than fear them ;-)
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    The climb the route takes up Leith Hill is one of the easier ascents as well.
  • Vandiesel
    Carbonator wrote:
    Leith Hill is the main hill and its not that bad.
    Box Hill is just a long slope upwards.

Do some hill training and you will be fine.
    You need to learn to enjoy hills rather than fear them ;-)
    "I love hills I love hills I love hills..
    Giant TCR Composite 3