World Championship - ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    UK Cycling Expert ‏@ukcyclingexpert
    Sir Wiggins won the Grand Tour of Britain and only used his wind proofed bike once, on the day they visited the zoo!

UK Cycling Expert ‏@ukcyclingexpert
    Tomorrow Sir Wiggins is likely to ride his most wind proofed bike from start to finish. Expect him also to wear his clingiest onesie.

:mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Daz555 wrote:
    Spartacus:
    vuelta13-st11-cancellara.jpg

Der Panzerwagen
    vuelta13-st11-Tony-Martin-1.jpg

The Knight Rider.
    tt_image_754349.jpg

This could be a corker.

Looks like they are all using ram air systems.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I hope Martin hammers this home.
    rlr36_tony_1.jpg

I also hope Wiggins doesnt become too depressed if he doesnt win.

Wiggins` comments:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/world-t ... to-wiggins

Another photo where the BIG TONY MARTIN* nickname crumbles into dust as you realise he has the body of an 8 year old girl above the waist...

(*insert other name here)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Looks like they are all using ram air systems.

263257_338977746230901_1340441640_n.jpg

:wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    if Martin goes Last, I reckon he'll win it. the hilly bit is a pimple, and the approach is slighlty technical.
    Not been a fan of Wiggins this year, he's been too inconsistent and only "works" when all the variables are in his favour.

never been sure about Cancellara, i reckon his (possibly murky) history will eventually catch up with him. have to admit in a short prologue he is still the guy to beat, and i think his descending skills are absolutely amazing. not sure about today.

Think Tony Martin should win this, indeed i hope he does.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    This is the first time I've really got excited about a TT. Don't really mind who (of the 3) wins, as long as it isn't decided by a puncture/mech/random event.
    (If someone overcooks a corner - Canc 2011 - then it's their own making though).
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Yes - I hope all the favourites bring their "A" games - would love to see a proper battle royal. Really hope it doesn't get spoilt by any technical issues - a straight up mano e mano TT will be great.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    philbar72 wrote:
    if Martin goes Last, I reckon he'll win it.
    They ride so much on the numbers these days I'm not sure the running order matters as much as it once did perhaps.

I love Boardman's description of how to pace a time trial.

The question you ask yourself is '"can I sustain this effort until the finish?" If the answer is yes, you aren’t going hard enough. If the answer is no, then you’ve already lost. The answer should be - maybe.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • I am going to miss the crucial last three riders! Goddam it. :evil:
    ddraver wrote:
    BIG TONY MARTIN

He seems skinnier now than he used to be as well.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Looking forward to this, I have tried to time my lunch break perfectly to see the finish, how long are they expected to take to complete the course?
  • I'd say a bit over an hour.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Looking forward to this, I have tried to time my lunch break perfectly to see the finish, how long are they expected to take to complete the course?

the top guys - around 1h 5
    ddraver wrote:
    BIG TONY MARTIN

What the.....?? Priorities, woman
    ddraver wrote:
    BIG TONY MARTIN

What the.....?? Priorities, woman

I know, I know but it's my colleague (sort of boss') inaugural professorial lecture. I have to go. Just make sure you post regular updates on the twitter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    The time keepers must be glad of electronic timing, it would be a nightmare doing 1.5 minute intervals manually (I have trouble doing 1 minute when timing the club 10 half the time!).

How are the riders ranked for the start order?
  • Pross wrote:
    The time keepers must be glad of electronic timing, it would be a nightmare doing 1.5 minute intervals manually (I have trouble doing 1 minute when timing the club 10 half the time!).

Martin goes last as reigning champ, otherwise they're seeded a la tennis champs
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    It always amuses me that they have millisecond timing at the finish, but a bloke waving his arm at the start. You'd think they'd use a start gate or something like in skiing.
  • Pross wrote:

Was interested in this so had a look at the UCI Cycling Regulations. It helpfully states with reference to Individual Time Trials:

"2.4.009 At world championships and Olympic Games, the starting order shall be determined by the UCI.
    (text modified on 1.01.98)."

So apart from assuming that it is to do with some pioints system, not a clue. Still looking though.
  • They use a timing beam or something similar on the start ramp.
  • Mechanism wrote:
    They use a timing beam or something similar on the start ramp.

I think the timing at the start is automatic. i.e. 5-4-3-2-1 beep/clock starts. Otherwise you would have all sorts of faffing about.

Always enjoy watching different configurations of a count down on five fingers!
  • We're off. And the big news is the Ugandan team are not here.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Good lord I'm excited.
  • Paul 8v
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:
    They use a timing beam or something similar on the start ramp.

I think the timing at the start is automatic. i.e. 5-4-3-2-1 beep/clock starts. Otherwise you would have all sorts of faffing about.

Always enjoy watching different configurations of a count down on five fingers!

Reminds me of the scene in inglorious barstewards (To stop the swear filter ;-)
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Turfle wrote:
    Good lord I'm excited.

Me also! Though Im trying to get some work don't beforehand. I'll probably start watching it around 13.50 UK time.
  • Paul 8v
    If I start watching about 2:20 I should get some of Dowset's ride and see all the big guns finish too. Never before has a lunch break been so exciting :)
  • Paul 8v wrote:

I went to see that with three Italians. They all gasped when the Michael Fassbender held up three fingers. I didn't understand at first why on earth they were shocked. I still find it weird that mainland Europeans count to three that way, I find it really hard and uncomfortable.
  • In other news is the UCI youtube channel actually available anywhere?
  • I`m looking forward to seeing Martin`s kit.

Really hope he has something as good as this. The photos that time are unreal.
    960106.jpg

tumblr_mjmo3pGVNo1qfcvrto1_500.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tumblr_mjmo3pGVNo1qfcvrto1_500.gif

Poor carrot. :( That is a little unfair really. A bit like Chris Froome challenging John Prescott to a race up the Angliru.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:

I went to see that with three Italians. They all gasped when the Michael Fassbender held up three fingers. I didn't understand at first why on earth they were shocked. I still find it weird that mainland Europeans count to three that way, I find it really hard and uncomfortable.
    I didn't know there was a difference until I saw that...