World Championship - ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• Out of curiosity and in the interest of balance: what does everyone make of the Irish team's performance?

All abandoned but dont see much comment about them here

Thats because they are f*cking rubbish. :roll:

Dont be a fool. This year's winner of LBL/a Tour stage/ Volta a Catalunya, and the rider who finished 5th on GC at the Vuelta, are far from, as you so charmingly and erroneously put it, 'f*cking rubbish'

You said 'The Irish Team'. So by team you actually mean one rider?

Im not being a fool, im simply stating fact. The Irish 'TEAM' are f*cking rubbish. oh hang on...i meant fekin rubbish.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Dont be a fool. This year's winner of LBL/a Tour stage/ Volta a Catalunya, and the rider who finished 5th on GC at the Vuelta, are far from, as you so charmingly and erroneously put it, 'f*cking rubbish'

Im not being a fool, im simply stating fact. The Irish 'TEAM' are f*cking rubbish. oh hang on...i meant fekin rubbish.

There are two riders referenced in RRs post.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

It took two riders to win that list, hence the way it is written. Two constitutes a team and it is fair question. Both Martin and Roche were tipped as contenders, but as someone pointed out upthread - they crashed.
  • One rider....two riders....

STILL

F*CKING

SHI*TE!

please show me anything different from yesterdays race.
  • Out of curiosity and in the interest of balance: what does everyone make of the Irish team's performance?

All abandoned but dont see much comment about them here

It rains a poop load in Ireland!

It also rains a poop load in lots of parts of Europe, the Mediterranean contrary to popular belief is not dry and sunny all year round. Added to that not all of say Spain has a Mediterranean climate, Galicia and the Basque country for example are very wet. It rains a lot in Portugal too especially in the winter.

Interestingly Froome comes from a place where you could really argue it doesn't rain much and when it does you sure as hell don't go out riding your bike as the roads tend to look like this:

49-800.jpg

OK not all of them but I think the argument that British people should be used to the rain because it rains a lot is a bit reductive and like saying a tiny Dutch person should be able to ride fine in 50kph cross winds because it is windy in the Netherlands. The way weather effects people is physiological as well as something you acclimatise to.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    I usually defend Wiggins to the hilt but I cant go with the weather thing. He was perfectly fine and up at the front of the peloton at all times including descents in the pouring rain during the first few stages of ToB. The bizarre thing re his relationship with Froome is that apparently they were getting on amicably enough at the team hotel between Fri and race day.

Brailsford has a big call to make here re next year, I think.

I'm warming to you RR. You've seen the light! (from the perspective of someone who is not a Wiggins fan)

Brailsford has no call to make next year. Froome does what he wants. Wiggo does a few TTs, minor stage races and perhaps a GT in a wild card fashion.
  • Spain’s national coach Javier Minguez has criticised Alejandro Valverde’s failure to chase down Rui Costa when the Portuguese rider bridged across to Joaquim Rodriguez in the closing kilometres of the World Championships, and then went on to win.

Valverde has blamed his tactical error on not having the legs to follow Rui Costa. But for Minguez, who took over the job of Spanish trainer from Jose Luis De Santos this year, suggested that Valverde’s failure to react as the Portuguese rider jumped away was not satisfactory.

“Purito’s performance deserved a gold,” said Minguez, “and losing the gold in this way annoys me, although I’m pleased we got silver and bronze.”

“Joaquim raced fantastically well, but Valverde made a serious mistake. If Rui Costa goes for Purito, he has to go after him. If he had done that, he’d be in the rainbow jersey now.”

“He should have chased down anything that moved - even the television motorbike.”

“Okay, two medals is cause for a fiesta. But thanks to his error, we’re not World Champions.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I suspect that the Rodriguez, Valverde and Costa Autobiographies in 10 years might make interesting reading....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    I usually defend Wiggins to the hilt but I cant go with the weather thing. He was perfectly fine and up at the front of the peloton at all times including descents in the pouring rain during the first few stages of ToB. The bizarre thing re his relationship with Froome is that apparently they were getting on amicably enough at the team hotel between Fri and race day.

I'm warming to you RR. You've seen the light! (from the perspective of someone who is not a Wiggins fan)

Brailsford has no call to make next year. Froome does what he wants. Wiggo does a few TTs, minor stage races and perhaps a GT in a wild card fashion.

Sometimes you have to call it, Beanie. I'll still defend him if I think the criticism is unfair, mind you.

The call I have in mind is next year's TdF. I dont mean who's leader, that'll be Froome unless he gets crocked or sick. Its whether Brailsford can trust Wiggins to ride in support.
  • Can people stop posting teary pics of Purito, it is breaking my dark dark heart.

Oh and that Shimano vid is awesome. I feel like I should know the music.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    TheBigBean wrote:

Sometimes you have to call it, Beanie. I'll still defend him if I think the criticism is unfair, mind you.

The call I have in mind is next year's TdF. I dont mean who's leader, that'll be Froome unless he gets crocked or sick. Its whether Brailsford can trust Wiggins to ride in support.
    I can imagine Brailsford already thinking "Why should I select him?" rather than looking for reasons why he shouldn't. If Wiggins doesn't change his attitude and get into some decent form in the first part of the season it'll be an easy decision to make. If he doesn't provide some real indication that he's able (and perhaps more importantly, willing) to do a job for Froome then he obviously shouldn't be there.
  • Seen very little criticism of Fabu, Gilbert, Sagan and similar riders. Is the consensus that they rode a fine race?

Fair. Mostly.

Sagan - was always going to struggle on that course.

Fab - didn't roll the dice really.

Gilbert - found wanting.

Sums it up really ...

I ended up getting bored so went to walk the dogs and buy paint and as a result ended up watching the recording on quite a fast fastforward ... But from what i did see Italy SKY'd it before sending Visconti up the road ... Looked lime a combination of the pace and subsequent chase down took it's toll on the big boys so chance to go with the break in the end ... You only have to see how J-rods legs packed in the finale to know how hard a day it had been ...

Hard race, but sh!t race considering the cast who made it go the ladt lap ...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    The only reason to take Wiggins is to pull for the first 100-150km of the stage with Gee and Stannard. Somehow I don't think he ll be interested in that. I can see Wiggo hanging up his cleats sooner rather than later tbh
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I keep wondering if he's had psychological help with his cornering in the wet problems. I'm not convinced that he was fully confident in the ToB and definitely not yesterday.
  • Maybe SKY should get him a really small trike like the chimps in the circus ...
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Eh, what happened to the forum...? It was a one day race not a sportive! There are no certificates for finishing.

Brad should be the bigger man and get on and ride, but the collapse of the team does raise an interesting question (for me)... is Froome a good leader? Part of being the leader is motivating your team to give everything for your cause. Remember the TDF too, with the exception of Porte, Froome hardly had his troops laying it all on the line for him - certainly not like Wiggins did the year before (with the exception, ironically, of Froome).
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It's very hard to manage expectations when the British olympic Broadcasting Corp have shelled-out for rights and laid siege to a corner of Tuscany.

Brother Brotherton "So Chris, how go you assess 'our' chances?"
    Brother Boardman "As a nation we have produced a solitary One Day Race winner in the modern era. He is a sprinter and stands no chance over today's hills. The mighty resources of Team Sky returned a 4th in a one day chipper all season. Our team leader has never shown the ability to support the extreme distance, never mind the race-craft and repeated intense accelerations required to win such a race. And morale is terrible with a potential doping scandal in the team and everybody having to cuddle Wiggo to get him to ride downhill.

You know this as well as I do Simon, but to keep our jobs we need to pump our audience full of unrealistic podium expectations, so there's every chance that ..."

Realistically GB had no chance and they did the sensible thing as soon as Froome was gapped. It's a bit harsh questioning the spirit of a guy who rode most of the Tour with a fractured ass, or the guy who won it despite being isolated in yellow several times. What's striking is how abruptly performance crashes when motivation isn't 100%, and how Wiggo ever managed to win the Tour without a traveling exorcist for his demons.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Macaloon wrote:
    It's very hard to manage expectations when the British olympic Broadcasting Corp have shelled-out for rights and laid siege to a corner of Tuscany.

Brother Boardman "As a nation we have produced a solitary One Day Race winner in the modern era. He is a sprinter and stands no chance over today's hills. The mighty resources of Team Sky returned a 4th in a one day chipper all season. Our team leader has never shown the ability to support the extreme distance, never mind the race-craft and repeated intense accelerations required to win such a race. And morale is terrible with a potential doping scandal in the team and everybody having to cuddle Wiggo to get him to ride downhill.

You know this as well as I do Simon, but to keep our jobs we need to pump our audience full of unrealistic podium expectations, so there's every chance that ..."

Realistically GB had no chance and they did the sensible thing as soon as Froome was gapped. It's a bit harsh questioning the spirit of a guy who rode most of the Tour with a fractured ass, or the guy who won it despite being isolated in yellow several times. What's striking is how abruptly performance crashes when motivation isn't 100%, and how Wiggo ever managed to win the Tour without a traveling exorcist for his demons.

*applause*
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    It's a bit harsh questioning the spirit of a guy who rode most of the Tour with a fractured ass

Is this the same guy who did the tour with a fractured boar?

6a00d8341c2f0953ef0133f20d4628970b-500wi

(the interweb is an amazing place, who knew you could find a photo of a broken donkey leg)

But seriously, chapeau, good points.
  • Macaloon wrote:

Class.

Could have added "our nominated road captain spent all of last season riding round in circles indoors, and when he does venture onto the roads he seems unable to stay upright. Added to that our Supreme Leader has fallen out with GBs most experienced and intelligent road rider of the past 15 years and so he's sat at home tweeting about the race."
  • Latest thieving news from the Worlds: the Danish team and Saxo-Tinki have had loads of their bikes and wheels half-inched overnight.

http://sporten.tv2.dk/2013-09-30-efter- ... -cykeltyve

Dont supposed after what happened to the Russian team that it occurred to people that it might be a good idea to have guards overnight in the trucks... :?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Macaloon wrote:
    It's a bit harsh questioning the spirit of a guy who rode most of the Tour with a fractured ass

Is this the same guy who did the tour with a fractured boar?

Delgado's Donkey Sanctuary promises to be swamped this close season with uncontrolled immigration from broken boars, fractured asses, and maligned Camargue horses. One to watch.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Latest thieving news from the Worlds: the Danish team and Saxo-Tinki have had loads of their bikes and wheels half-inched overnight.

http://sporten.tv2.dk/2013-09-30-efter- ... -cykeltyve

Dont supposed after what happened to the Russian team that it occurred to people that it might be a good idea to have guards overnight in the trucks... :?
    I've seen russian private security at some oligarchs house in london I did some work on, if they were there I certainly wouldn't want to mess with them!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    A collective poor performance from the GB team yesterday, no doubt; but if you haven't got it, you haven't got it...
    Well done to all those wailing and gnashing their teeth that they never have a bad day at work and can be counted on at all times for exemplary performances; never hungover, tired, lacklustre, jaded...or plain couldn't be @rsed. If you have encountered any of these, no doubt you were grateful that a bunch of reactionary armchair critics on the internet didn't analyse it to death and draw all manner of conclusions from snippets of commentary gleaned from your colleagues by a multitude of gossip-mongers, sh!t-stirrers and angry post pub-lunchers that have copy to fill and stories to cobble...

Well done and good for you if you've never suffered loss of mojo bunch racing in the wet: if you have had a bout of this, you'll know no amount of peer pressure/coercion can retrieve it there and then. It's a long and protracted process to repair. I'd suggest that doing 60kmh in a fast moving bunch on the sort of roads you developed it on in the first place - with crashes all around - is NOT the way to overcome…

At the ToB alone, Wiggins more than earned his wedge from Sky for the year... and paid his dues to the fans: the majority of his adoring public will largely look at yesterday's result with a "meh" and a shrug of the shoulders... before being obliged to read about little else but footballers again until March. Basically, yesterday he was shite. And may - or may not, depending on the source - be a moody git from time to time. He needs a good slap from Shane Sutton and will clearly have to sort his attitude/head out: especially if he fancies a pop at the classics, as mooted (wet cobbles, anyone?). That's what the off-season is for.

Talking of "Grand Champions", what of Bertie? I didn't see much criticising the reigning champion's absence from the Vuelta: and where was he yesterday? Pulling all sorts of faces at the back of the bunch before getting dropped with a few laps to go. And what about Nibali? He got d!cked by a grandad in Spain and his team got mugged by the Spanish yesterday... Who in turn got mugged by a lone Portuguese. What a bunch of losers - why do they bother!?
  • Macaloon wrote:

Class.

Could have added "our nominated road captain spent all of last season riding round in circles indoors, and when he does venture onto the roads he seems unable to stay upright. Added to that our Supreme Leader has fallen out with GBs most experienced and intelligent road rider of the past 15 years and so he's sat at home tweeting about the race."

Hmmm....I think its more a case of Millar in a huff over DaveB's zero tolerance...seems he was right miffed when Julich and De Jongh coughed up and had to leave. Think Millar ruled himself out from selection.
  • Macaloon wrote:

To take this seriously for a moment, I think the issue for some is that these riders who as you rightly point out have busted a gut in other situations or never really stood an iceberg in hells chance of winning were wearing the National Colours yesterday and therefore should be expected to give 150% for queen and country. Thomas might have ridden the Tour with a broken Pedro but he did that for Sky, not for his country!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to sing God Save the Queen.

• Could have added "our nominated road captain spent all of last season riding round in circles indoors, and when he does venture onto the roads he seems unable to stay upright. Added to that our Supreme Leader has fallen out with GBs most experienced and intelligent road rider of the past 15 years and so he's sat at home tweeting about the race."

Hmmm....I think its more a case of Millar in a huff over DaveB's zero tolerance...seems he was right miffed when Julich and De Jongh coughed up and had to leave. Think Millar ruled himself out from selection.

Guess that's likely, esp. given Millar is also prone to be a bit reactionary (although why Sky's internal recruitment / employment policy is anyone else's business is up for debate - plus it's not like they hadn't stated it from the outset even if they failed to fully screen / research at the point of hiring).
    Pity though given Brailsford stood by him when the merde really hit the fan back in '04 and also wrote the foreword to DMs book.

Either way GT is no road captain in that level of race. Also any idea where Kennaugh was?
  • To take this seriously for a moment, I think the issue for some is that these riders who as you rightly point out have busted a gut in other situations or never really stood an iceberg in hells chance of winning were wearing the National Colours yesterday and therefore should be expected to give 150% for queen and country. Thomas might have ridden the Tour with a broken Pedro but he did that for Sky, not for his country!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to sing God Save the Queen.

Tall thin people who have accepted knighthoods should give more than a little ponce about in the rain for queen and country.

British riders were worried about getting their power meters wet.

• Could have added "our nominated road captain spent all of last season riding round in circles indoors, and when he does venture onto the roads he seems unable to stay upright. Added to that our Supreme Leader has fallen out with GBs most experienced and intelligent road rider of the past 15 years and so he's sat at home tweeting about the race."

Guess that's likely, esp. given Millar is also prone to be a bit reactionary (although why Sky's internal recruitment / employment policy is anyone else's business is up for debate - plus it's not like they hadn't stated it from the outset even if they failed to fully screen / research at the point of hiring).
    Pity though given Brailsford stood by him when the merde really hit the fan back in '04 and also wrote the foreword to DMs book.

Either way GT is no road captain in that level of race. Also any idea where Kennaugh was?

Yeah, well...funny thing is that according to one esteemed journo DaveB doesnt seem to be aware that he and Millar arent talking any more (as per Millar).

Kennaugh checked out of his season when he climbed off on the first stage of the USA ProChallenge. Official reason given for finishing season early was a dodgy heel...
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    A collective poor performance from the GB team yesterday, no doubt; but if you haven't got it, you haven't got it...
    Well done to all those wailing and gnashing their teeth that they never have a bad day at work and can be counted on at all times for exemplary performances; never hungover, tired, lacklustre, jaded...or plain couldn't be @rsed. If you have encountered any of these, no doubt you were grateful that a bunch of reactionary armchair critics on the internet didn't analyse it to death and draw all manner of conclusions from snippets of commentary gleaned from your colleagues by a multitude of gossip-mongers, sh!t-stirrers and angry post pub-lunchers that have copy to fill and stories to cobble...

Well done and good for you if you've never suffered loss of mojo bunch racing in the wet: if you have had a bout of this, you'll know no amount of peer pressure/coercion can retrieve it there and then. It's a long and protracted process to repair. I'd suggest that doing 60kmh in a fast moving bunch on the sort of roads you developed it on in the first place - with crashes all around - is NOT the way to overcome…

At the ToB alone, Wiggins more than earned his wedge from Sky for the year... and paid his dues to the fans: the majority of his adoring public will largely look at yesterday's result with a "meh" and a shrug of the shoulders... before being obliged to read about little else but footballers again until March. Basically, yesterday he was shite. And may - or may not, depending on the source - be a moody git from time to time. He needs a good slap from Shane Sutton and will clearly have to sort his attitude/head out: especially if he fancies a pop at the classics, as mooted (wet cobbles, anyone?). That's what the off-season is for.

Talking of "Grand Champions", what of Bertie? I didn't see much criticising the reigning champion's absence from the Vuelta: and where was he yesterday? Pulling all sorts of faces at the back of the bunch before getting dropped with a few laps to go. And what about Nibali? He got d!cked by a grandad in Spain and his team got mugged by the Spanish yesterday... Who in turn got mugged by a lone Portuguese. What a bunch of losers - why do they bother!?

Oh please, it was a poor performance and people are going to say so, including the riders and team management themselves. Shame on us for actually discussing the race.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]