World Championship - ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm liking Degenkolb's chances more with every kilometre.

He did the same in Valkenberg didn't he?

Can't see him surviving the last two climbs....
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    I had to go out for a couple of hours.

Can someone give a brief synopsis of the past 2 hours and twenty pages please?

muchios gracias
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Has anyone one from British Cycling explained yet why that riders from warmer/drier countries are still in the race in these conditions in numbers and yet their are NONE from here....oh yes i forgot its "form" eh. :roll:
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Chris Anker still covered from head to toe.
  • Alan A wrote:

muchios gracias

It rained. Loads of people crashed/dropped/retired including entire Team GB.

Now the big favourites are all waiting to launch an attack.
  • rick_chasey
    Alan A wrote:

muchios gracias

Nibs crashed and came back. Vansummeren did a lot of the work, after Visconti went up ahead with a few others (but they were weak).
  • Bad place to attack Bardet.

Nibs looked v easy on that climb.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Alan A wrote:

muchios gracias

Peloton sits up for a few laps, lets Barta and Huzarski dangle.

Attacks from Visconti, Kelderman, Austrian and Gaultier (I think). Visconti leads with Huzarski for a bit. They just got caught.

Nibali fell and had to race back on.

That's about it.
  • Gazzetta67
    Alan A wrote:

muchios gracias

Froome said he's now going for Rio in 3 years also.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Has anyone one from British Cycling explained yet why that riders from warmer/drier countries are still in the race in these conditions in numbers and yet their are NONE from here....oh yes i forgot its "form" eh. :roll:

Oh but they are loaded with murdochs millions so live in sunny Monaco.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Where you're from doesn't have that much of a bearing.

Wiggins & Froome are bad in bad weather. The rest don't suit the course.

T'was always going to be like that with the weather.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    I know, it's ridiculous that Britain can win the last two TdFs and not even have anyone finish a race that only lasts one day. It's gotta be 21 times easier than the TdF, right?
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

You seem to be taking it quite badly. Are you expecting a call from Dave B to explain himself.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Where you're from doesn't have that much of a bearing.

Wiggins & Froome are bad in bad weather. The rest don't suit the course.

T'was always going to be like that with the weather.

Naw really ???? - I was going along the lines of the questions that will be asked after this is over as the weather will be mentioned and were we come from and our climate.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    I know, it's ridiculous that Britain can win the last two TdFs and not even have anyone finish a race that only lasts one day. It's gotta be 21 times easier than the TdF, right?
    Which is easiest to pick winner of each year, winner of TDF or winner of Worlds?
  • Lol im guessing that Slovenian thought that was the finish.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hammerite wrote:
    emadden wrote:

Its the freaking Worlds, not the Tour of Ambleside i.e. a race which deserves to be taken seriously

without really wanting to weigh in on the argument.... have you seen how many riders usually pull out of a Worlds race? Bar last year and the race in Copenhagen there's usually a shed load (see Varese and Mendirisio). Once you're dropped from the main bunch as a rule you've had it.

Which is why the GB riders need to ride a smarter race and not give everyone an armchair ride for the first 100km.

From what Geraint Thomas was saying i think one of the main problems in this race was at the start of the circuits where everyone was trying to be at the front and the resultant jockeying on wet, sometimes technical, roads. This resulted in crashes which broke the group up meaning people had to chase back on, only to be blocked by another crash. Better tactics would have been to concentrate on making GB did well at that point of the race by taking it easier early on so they had more energy to spend then. Easy to say that now but making sure you are well positioned for a climb is a standard tactic. Not as easy as just saying it of course because everyone else will be trying the same.

Having said that, some of the riders who were dropped with Froome (probably Stannard and G too) made it back to the peloton so if the GB riders didnt then it suggests that they didnt have the legs to be main players anyway. Cummings abandoned after a puncture. That doesnt seem like an incident which should cause you to retire?
  • Gazzetta67
    smithy21 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

You seem to be taking it quite badly. Are you expecting a call from Dave B to explain himself.

Not taking anything..could'nt give a monkeys to be honest. just thrown it out there brian
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Still waiting for this to kick off. A few sprinting types in the bunch who will walk this if they don't shell them out soon
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Oh but they are loaded with murdochs millions so live in sunny Monaco.

thought that was only Froome and Porte?

Stannard lives near MK, Rowe/Thomas in South Wales, Wiggins somewhere in the North West, Cavendish in Essex......
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Thank you all for the synopsis.

Piss poor from GB. Too much time spent in sunny Tenerife and Majorca
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Stybar is gonna go.
  • Turfle wrote:
    Stybar is gonna go.

Hope so.. I'm still upset about him hitting that spectator in Roubaix :cry:
  • Fastest guy left if it stays together - Sagan or Degenkolb? Still think Spartacus will take it
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    This... is... boring...
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Sagan moving up to keep an eye on the others
  • Gazzetta67
    Anker sorensen on 2 payrolls today fuglsang/contador
  • Sagan hanging around looking ominous.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Cancellera will make his move for 2nd soon.