MSR 2014 Route

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    All they need to do is keep it together. Whichever is the second of the two to drop out of the peloton (if that happens) gets backed.

Won't work like that. At what point does the team abandon Cav if he's struggling on the Poggio and then simply rejoin to help Boonen? And if it's a mass bunch finish without Cav I wouldn't fancy Boonen's chances.

Or much earlier on - Le Manie - where he has previous for struggling when the hammer's gone down

I'd back Boonen in a sprint after 300km tbh.

Similarly, Cav will know if he's feeling good or not. He can make the call himself for the team. Worst you lose is him and maybe one other.

Agreed. My money is on Boonen at present.

http://inrng.com/2014/02/managing-talen ... cs-riders/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Yeah, I put some money on Boonen at 28/1 - EBH is shorter odds than that, Nibali too. Crazy stuff. We might get confirmation on the route tomorrow (RCS/local authority meeting).
  • Yeah, I put some money on Boonen at 28/1 - EBH is shorter odds than that, Nibali too. Crazy stuff. We might get confirmation on the route tomorrow (RCS/local authority meeting).

What the....

Excuse me a moment....

What the....

Excuse me a moment....

Yep, bit of a fail by Bet Victor there. Looks like they're still offering those odds too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Has Boonen not already beat Greiple on a sprint this year?
  • Journo Peter Cossins has just tweeted that Pompeiana's definitely out
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    and Friebe says no Le Manie either.
  • Cavendish wrote:
    F*%^&* $£^&**^%&* ^^%&&*^%$$£&**( *&$$ &%**^%$$*!!!!!!!

Or something like that.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Cavendish wrote:

Or something like that.

Why's that? Have i missed him confirming he's not racing?
  • Cavendish wrote:

Or something like that.

Why's that? Have i missed him confirming he's not racing?

He hasn't been training for it even if he's racing it. His focus has been later in the year.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yep, bit of a fail by Bet Victor there. Looks like they're still offering those odds too.
    On the other hand, they're offering JTL at 500-1 to win the Tour de France which is quite the long shot....
  • Woop!

Bhj-w9pCAAAMNBg.png
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980
    Excited.
  • But this doesn't open the race up. If Le Manie was included it would be nicely balanced - this will just make it dull till the Poggio. Le Manie added a lot.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    I think this is more or less the 2007 route - La Manie added in 2008. Agree that it was a good addition though but better this than Pompeiana. Unfortunately I think it's RCS's intent to use it in 2015.
  • Yeah but it was there intent to use it in 2014, and we're now three weeks before the event and it's scrappec.

In Italy, nothing's certain until it's happened, and that's not always necessarily true
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,571
    Cav will ride MSR...
    “He’ll ride as our sprinter but we’ll decide the tactics the day before the race, and not two weeks away,” Lefevere told Cyclingnews.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    dish_dash wrote:
    Cav will ride MSR...
    “He’ll ride as our sprinter but we’ll decide the tactics the day before the race, and not two weeks away,” Lefevere told Cyclingnews.

Means nothing. Has Cavendish made any statements yet about being unable to climb, out of form or just riding it for a bit of a laugh and to see if he fancies it at some other point? Although I suppose you could make a conspiracy theory about some of his early season form and not sprinting full gas...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,749
    They could have 2-3 routes and rotate them, so long as it's never pan flat and never a climbers heaven, I'd keep the poggio as the last climb as that's become the iconic finish over the last 50 years.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,901
    So, in a misguided attempt to toughen up the route, they end up having to give us this?
    No Le Manie replacement.
    It's Paris-Tours with an extra 75kms of flat.
    Just what this "monument" needed after last year's weather ruined race.
    Might tempt Cipollini into another comeback.
    Tune in for the last 30kms. The rest is a gimme.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    With this route, we can only hope for some bad weather to make the race interesting for anything other than 30k.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Degenkolb is the man for G-shim. I'd definitely take him over Kittel.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    The way Kittel has already climbed this season, with the watered down route, he could well have made the final selection.
    Not going to ride, though.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    The way Kittel has already climbed this season, with the watered down route, he could well have made the final selection.
    Not going to ride, though.

Possibly - but those climbs he made it over in that Dubai stage didnt come at the end of the longest 1 dayer in the calendar

OTH Degenkolb has a 5th place under his belt from 2012
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,738
    So now that hills have been added and then removed, can anyone tell me how it is different from last year's theoretical course, or the course in 2012?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    TheBigBean wrote:
    So now that hills have been added and then removed, can anyone tell me how it is different from last year's theoretical course, or the course in 2012?

No Le Manie
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,571
    Final route profile for 2014 (I believe):
    2014_MSR_Profile.jpg

Last few Kms:
    2014_MSR_Finale.jpg
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703

were we watching the same race? Last year's was a cracker
  • blazing_saddles
    dave milne wrote:

were we watching the same race? Last year's was a cracker

Ay, but I'm not on about the actual racing in the awful weather, but the course getting
    chopped down.
    There was also an element of farce in how last year panned out.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980
    Why so keen on more hills blazing? Always felt msr was well balanced.