- @ddraver
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I thought most did that...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    what are we looking at here? I mean, i know its a power meter.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    MrTapir wrote:
    I think we're supposed to drool a bit at getting so close to the great man
  • Oh right, fab ?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Power covered over. Loads do this so they don't rely on the numbers too much when racing. Having too much data can sometimes be a hindrance and distraction..
    cartoon.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    MrTapir wrote:

We re supposed to get hard/drop gushers in our knickers that Contador covers up his power data when coming 4th and hate Froome for not covering up his number when he destroys everyone like a Heavyweight True Champion...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • What next, Alberto Contadors spunk sock?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've heard rumors that Alberto has sent Froome a good will gesture, from his favorite local butcher.

The taping seems like pretty common practice.
  • Haha, check out this thread. Woodwork alert. Sirens.

There is a superb race on but I thought the forum was dead. Obviously not - most just waiting to pop out at the appropriate time and post a load of BS.

I know Sky are getting licked six ways from Sunday in this race as there Protected Team is not racing but still you should try and watch a few stages.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    article-0-11A1628E000005DC-439_634x465.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Haha, check out this thread. Woodwork alert. Sirens.

There is a superb race on but I thought the forum was dead. Obviously not - most just waiting to pop out at the appropriate time and post a load of BS.

I know Sky are getting licked six ways from Sunday in this race as there Protected Team is not racing but still you should try and watch a few stages.

We got a bite people and its a classic.
  • Someone should tell them that on a Garmin you can choose what fields to display.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    If it had been SKY, at least they'd have used black tape and a sharper pair of scissors.
  • so the tape isn't because it's broken then?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The tape is there to cover the peak performance statistics pre-steak. He gets upset you see...
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    You dont actually need scissors for gaffer tape; you can get a reasonably good edge just tearing it perpendicular to the tape roll direction.
  • so it's showing us distance , average speed and cadence right? so basically no power readings?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Well, French you haven't been particularly active in the Vuelta threads yourself.
  • Sure haven`t been as active as usual on those or other thread although today is an exception. I have extenuating factors, issues with getting an visuals for most of the race and a strong curiosity as to what happens when I don`t contribute a lot on the spoilers...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • i think he just got fed up of Froome looking at his stem
  • i think he just got fed up of Froome looking at his stem

And laughing.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Doobz wrote:
    Power covered over. Loads do this so they don't rely on the numbers too much when racing. Having too much data can sometimes be a hindrance and distraction..

I do this with my telly and just allow myself to watch the inch at the top and bottom...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    How can we me sure the tape is covering up the power readings. It might be something else - like Pat McQuaid's bank account number.

But seriously, why is there the idea with some (Frenchie's not alone) that using a power meter is somehow dishonorable. It wouldn't be tolerated in other areas of life. If a doctor, architect or airline pilot decided to ignore measurments and work 'on feel' they'd end up in court.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    RichN95 wrote:
    How can we me sure the tape is covering up the power readings. It might be something else - like Pat McQuaid's bank account number.

But seriously, why is there the idea with some (Frenchie's not alone) that using a power meter is somehow dishonorable. It wouldn't be tolerated in other areas of life. If a doctor, architect or airline pilot decided to ignore measurments and work 'on feel' they'd end up in court.

yes, and if they went for a feel - they would end up in court...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    RichN95 wrote:

If using a power meter wattages on screen 'works for you' and means a better performance for you then you'd be an idiot not to use it. However, conversely, if using it compromises your performance then you'd be an idiot to use it. I think that's completely logical, as is the fact that if you are Alberto Contador you are an idiot.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    If I see a thread by Frenchie I feel compelled to read it as, no matter how obtuse, It will have a swipe at Sky in some shape or form. Life must be a bore if you have time to work on the theory that everything bad about the world is down to one cycling team, and everything good is blessed by one Spanish cyclist. Managing to work this theory into your every waking moment cant be easy though.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Practice makes perfect...
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    bompington wrote:
    Practice makes perfect...

Well...quite. :D
  • i think people cover up their power readings because sometimes its best not to know them, ie. if you feel like your on the limit but your power is lower than you would expect it could crack you, what you don't know can't hurt you. I know a few guys who have power meters and they turn their garmins onto a different screen not showing power or put their garmins in their pocket when training having had some time off as getting the ks in is needed to get the power to where you want it.

I have read a fair bit recently on power as i have been trying to decide if I want one or if the money would be better spent elsewhere and have seen things saying they are good because power is constant and never changes, then I have heard people saying they went faster in a TT than they expected because their power was low or for instance when i raced in Bermuda for the island games people were saying they were loosing 20-30 watts because of the heat, i believe it to be the same with altitude which then brings the question that it isn't constant.......?

Sorry if thats classed as off topic