Armstrong Lie

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I'm gonna be miffed if Dennis isn't a talking head in this film.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    This is what they should be publicising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOPPPCZotWI
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Probably the only thing that keeps LA wide awake and sweating at night is anonymity. The world needs to forget this louse and move on...

I'm thinking that he has many more pressing "issues" that keep him awake at night than to worry about fading fame. I am of the opinion that even he knows the saying "All glory is fleeting".
    Plus he most likely wishes that the world would forget him.

Should probably stop tweeting and going on Oprah then.

Well, I guess I can't blame him for going on Oprah. After all she is the anointed savior of us all. Maybe LA thought that if Oprah declared, because of his confession, that he had "seen the light", that it would solve everything.
    I still wonder just who or whom paid who or whom and how much for that show?
  • dennisn
    afx237vi wrote:

That would be great. It seems that the older I get the more I have to say.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

That's what all old guys say... but then it often turns out that some have confused "more = increased variety of content" with "more = more of same" and repeat themselves.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Should probably stop tweeting and going on Oprah then.

But what a performance: http://vimeo.com/58191312
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • dennisn
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

That's what all old guys say... but then it often turns out that some have confused "more = increased variety of content" with "more = more of same" and repeat themselves.

This is very true, but remember someday you will be old too and everyone will say the same about you. :lol::lol:
  • dennisn
    Quickie question. Did LA cry during the Oprah interview? I didn't watch it. :?
    I'm guessing that he didn't(but should have). If he had then Oprah would have had no choice but to absolve him of all wrong doing and the rest of the world would have followed her lead. Thus sayeth the gospels of Oprah.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    dennisn wrote:
    the rest of the world would have followed her lead. Thus sayeth the gospels of Oprah.

I'm not aware that Winfrey has any great following in the UK, or the rest of Europe for that matter. :roll:
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I'd like to see it in the cinema if possible but it looks like it will probably be DVD if it's only showing in London

You live in essex....!!
    True but after car parking and train fees it will cost £45.00 plus the cinema ticket to see it! Unless you can park in the west end but I try to avoid parking anywhere in the middle of London if possible!
  • Paul 8v
    And yeah, it is £40 quid for a 40 minute journey, a pound a minute for the pleasure of going on the overcrowded mouldy old train to Liverpool street!
  • Paul 8v
    Dabber wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    the rest of the world would have followed her lead. Thus sayeth the gospels of Oprah.

I'm not aware that Winfrey has any great following in the UK, or the rest of Europe for that matter. :roll:
    As far as I can tell apart from the Lance interview, Oprah basically just goes on telly and tells Americans to buy her mates' books, unless I've missed something?
  • dennisn
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

As far as I can tell apart from the Lance interview, Oprah basically just goes on telly and tells Americans to buy her mates' books, unless I've missed something?

I think you underestimate "The Big O". She wants to be everyones life coach. You go to her when you need a book to read. She has her own book club. You need advice? You watch her "Oprahs Life Classes" show. She has he own TV network and it promotes her constantly. You want entertainment? Her TV network "The Oprah Winfrey Network"(OWN) has everything you need.
    Here in the States she sort of rules what you might call womens television. They love her. Most men don't care at all.
    In the end I was surprised that LA choose Oprah to confess to(if you want to call it a confession). Why would he do that? He had to know that most men don't give a rat's *ss for Oprah and whatever she has to say. Only thing I can figure is that he was looking to her to forgive him and if she did, well, Oprah knows best and, after all, she does have that power to absolve just about everyone of just about anything. Murderers, criminals, druggies, abusers, you name it, and she has talked to them all, at length. They have confessed their misdeeds to her and she has listened, with very concerned looks, to all of it and then generally proclaimed that, while they still needed help, she was very hopeful for the future.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    dennisn wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I think you underestimate "The Big O". She wants to be everyones life coach. You go to her when you need a book to read. She has her own book club. You need advice? You watch her "Oprahs Life Classes" show. She has he own TV network and it promotes her constantly. You want entertainment? Her TV network "The Oprah Winfrey Network"(OWN) has everything you need.
    Here in the States she sort of rules what you might call womens television. They love her. Most men don't care at all.
    In the end I was surprised that LA choose Oprah to confess to(if you want to call it a confession). Why would he do that? He had to know that most men don't give a rat's *ss for Oprah and whatever she has to say. Only thing I can figure is that he was looking to her to forgive him and if she did, well, Oprah knows best and, after all, she does have that power to absolve just about everyone of just about anything. Murderers, criminals, druggies, abusers, you name it, and she has talked to them all, at length. They have confessed their misdeeds to her and she has listened, with very concerned looks, to all of it and then generally proclaimed that, while they still needed help, she was very hopeful for the future.

I've no idea what her influence is your side of the pond Dennis, but over here I reckon it's minimal regardless of what she might hope it to be.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Is it in 3d at the Imax ?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Paul 8v wrote:
    And yeah, it is £40 quid for a 40 minute journey, a pound a minute for the pleasure of going on the overcrowded mouldy old train to Liverpool street!

Why not drive somewhere like Lee Valley Stadium, park for free and jump on a train from Edmonton? There must be loads of similar options to get on the tube inside zone 4 with free parking?
  • Paul 8v
    Pross wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Why not drive somewhere like Lee Valley Stadium, park for free and jump on a train from Edmonton? There must be loads of similar options to get on the tube inside zone 4 with free parking?
    Not a bad shout Pross
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Minimal is probably an overstatement. European (mostly male) cycling audience and Oprah Winfrey are mutually exclusive. I've watched it twice ;)
  • dennisn
    Dabber wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I've no idea what her influence is your side of the pond Dennis, but over here I reckon it's minimal regardless of what she might hope it to be.

Got to agree that cyclist's really have no need for Oprah. Then again most cyclist's seem to have a need for listening to LA and whatever he says. Enter Oprah, stage right. She can smell out the money and fame, and LA most likely picked her to do his "confession" because he knew she would sit there and simply nod knowingly and with compassion. Not to mention the money that most likely, somehow, BOTH of them "earned", if you will.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    I doubt the choice of Oprah had anything to do with reaching out to cyclists. It's the cancer community he had to speak to, they were his real hinterland.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dennisn
    I doubt the choice of Oprah had anything to do with reaching out to cyclists. It's the cancer community he had to speak to, they were his real hinterland.

Good points. Makes me wonder just how he is looked at these days by the cancer community. I'm sure to some victims the cheating was sort of a punch in the gut. To others it may be that it doesn't matter because he is preceived as having done some good. In any case he is most likely not as high up on the ladder as he once was. Duh. Gotta hurt, that being loved by all and now, well........ not quite so much.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Nice review here from fighting talk's Jim White - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... eroes.html

Should put some of your concerns about puff pieces/money to bed a bit
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    If this is about his comeback in 2009, does he admit to doping in 2009?
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    If this is about his comeback in 2009, does he admit to doping in 2009?

Nope.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 74421.html

Director interview with Kimmage, if Kimmage annoys you I'm afraid it will annoy you too I'm afraid (that article, not the fillum)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Filming's just begun on the Stephen Frears movie based on Seven Deadly Sins. They've just released the first image, with Ben Foster

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=39128

Gave me the creeps, so it did
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Filming's just begun on the Stephen Frears movie based on Seven Deadly Sins. They've just released the first image, with Ben Foster

Why is Riis wearing USPS kit?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    iainf72 wrote:
    Filming's just begun on the Stephen Frears movie based on Seven Deadly Sins. They've just released the first image, with Ben Foster

Why is Riis wearing USPS kit?

It would be quite funny if Kimmage is not mentioned at all...........
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Some of the Cycling News Forum have started to accuse Ben Foster of doping (seriously!)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:

Some of the Cycling News Forum have started to accuse Ben Foster of doping (seriously!)

Oh stop it. Give us a sample extract (so to speak)