https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d-fFAyEMJE&feature=youtube_gdata

Here goes...

Gibney's film.

Will this mainstream?

Good or bad for pro-cycling?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It got a patchy review in Variety: http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/th ... 200596005/

As to your questions - it will have mainstream appeal but won't have the crossover success of Senna, for example, and it probably won't effect cycling much at all.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    So remind me, who is this Armstrong fellow again?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Mainstream? Good for pro-cycling?
    To both questions, probably not – it will appeal mostly to LA fans because it will vindicate LA, which in turn will depreciate pro-cycling’s attempt to change its public image.
    Therefore, the less mainstream the better.
  • Mikey23 wrote:

Yeah, hard to recognise the name without the correct text decoration:

Za0etW2.png
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Probably the only thing that keeps LA wide awake and sweating at night is anonymity. The world needs to forget this louse and move on...
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Probably the only thing that keeps LA wide awake and sweating at night is anonymity. The world needs to forget this louse and move on...

Exactly, he always fed off publicity and a high media profile, that's the only reason he made a comeback. Cut off his publicity, it would be like cutting off his oxygen supply.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I can't remember which paper but I saw a review on their website and it was broadly positive. I didnt say that it does vindicate him (maybe if your Phil Ligget it might) and said that it gave a good insight into the world of pro cycling for a non cyclist.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Agree, what I will say is the bloke wouldn't know truth if it slapped him 'round the face and bit his @rse.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Is he just wanting to re-tell and re-tell the story just for publicity?
    As they used to keep telling me when at work - there's only one version of the truth.

Depends who's version though!!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Mechanism wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Za0etW2.png
    The BBC website seems to keep referring to him as 'disgraced ex-cyclist Lance Armstrong', which seems about right to me !
  • RideOnTime wrote:

Dilution.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    RideOnTime wrote:

Dilution.

It's a long story though...
    So snowball first...
    then dilution.
    The snowball melts.
  • ddraver
    http://live.tiff.net/Event/The_Armstron ... ber_9_2013

Live Press conference at this link - I'm watching it delayed so hopefully it ll stay up for a bit...some familiar faces there amongst the movie people
    - @ddraver
  • aaaaaaannnnnnd...JV and Betsy go in for the kill re the UCI and governance...
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    well i guess its another way to spin some money
  • ddraver
    Obviously we don't know yet rebs, but it sounds like its a proper look at the reality of what happened (with a bit of footage thrown in). I'm sure that for uber-nerds like us who actually read the USADA report and followed the case there won't be much new, but there I think if you took your mother to see it she'd come out with a realistic version of what happened...

I'd be very surprised of it's endorsed by Mr Armstrong...hopefully it burns him a bit that none gives a damn about his endorsement any more.
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    ddraver wrote:

Interesting section from that review: "As well the unique behind-the-scenes footage and the interview with Ferrari, we get damning evidence of deception in the highest ranks of the UCI. Armstrong himself admits there were "hundreds" of conversations with UCI officials where he was warned his drug tests were "flying too close to the sun". UCI head Hein Verbruggen comes off particularly badly, as Gibney implies a conspiracy designed to protect the sport's most wildly lucrative icon."
  • dish_dash wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Interesting section from that review: "As well the unique behind-the-scenes footage and the interview with Ferrari, we get damning evidence of deception in the highest ranks of the UCI. Armstrong himself admits there were "hundreds" of conversations with UCI officials where he was warned his drug tests were "flying too close to the sun". UCI head Hein Verbruggen comes off particularly badly, as Gibney implies a conspiracy designed to protect the sport's most wildly lucrative icon."

Copy of film to be obtained for showing at the UEC's meeting on Sat with Cookson and McQuaid. That's going to be a right old ding dong
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    When is it released here?
  • ddraver
    No idea, complete guess but I'd guess that there won't be much delay (if at all) as it's not exactly going to trouble the box office overly...
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    If they'd been clever about it they would have released it everywhere during the Tour.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Saw this last night at a Sony Screening, it's well shot & a good documentary but I just left feeling angry and even more hate for Lance. Releases Late Oct/Early Nov.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    dish_dash wrote:
    Hein Verbruggen comes off particularly badly

That can't have been too hard to achieve, horrible man!
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Islwyn wrote:
    Saw this last night at a Sony Screening, it's well shot & a good documentary but I just left feeling angry and even more hate for Lance. Releases Late Oct/Early Nov.

I can only find information about The Vue West End, London showing this. Wed Oct 16th @ 20:45 and Thurs Oct 17th @14:45

Any other cinemas due to show it or am I waiting for a DVD/download?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I'd like to see it in the cinema if possible but it looks like it will probably be DVD if it's only showing in London
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I'd like to see it in the cinema if possible but it looks like it will probably be DVD if it's only showing in London

You live in essex....!!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Za0etW2.png
    The BBC website seems to keep referring to him as 'disgraced ex-cyclist Lance Armstrong', which seems about right to me !

That's pretty much what you hear over here when he's mentioned in the media. I tend to agree with "andy_wrx" in that it "seems about right to me". There is a price that will be paid for things like that.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Mikey23 wrote:

I'm thinking that he has many more pressing "issues" that keep him awake at night than to worry about fading fame. I am of the opinion that even he knows the saying "All glory is fleeting".
    Plus he most likely wishes that the world would forget him.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dennisn wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

I'm thinking that he has many more pressing "issues" that keep him awake at night than to worry about fading fame. I am of the opinion that even he knows the saying "All glory is fleeting".
    Plus he most likely wishes that the world would forget him.

Should probably stop tweeting and going on Oprah then.

If he wasn't so much of a pariah he'd make a great outspoken pundit me thinks.... though you do sense he liked pro road racing because he was good at it rather than head-over heels love for the sport.