Overly heavy vulcan

13»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why thank you Chunkers, nice to see my efforts are appreciated! ;-)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thinking full SLX groupset not sure on wheels yet. And Reba RL.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If buying new, the reba and SLX groupset doesn't leave you much left over.
  • supersonic wrote:
    If buying new, the reba and SLX groupset doesn't leave you much left over.
    If I get SLX I will just take a bit longer for the build. Was gonna go deore. £275 including brakes from merlin
  • supersonic
    Even then, be nothing left for wheels and the rest!!!
  • supersonic
    My plan would be this - strip the Vulcan down, sell the frame, forks and wheels. Use the drivetrain and brakes for now on the Fury, and the finishing kit ie bars, seat post, saddle etx.

Buy the Rebas, light wheels, the best tyres you can afford, light tubes, foam grips. When the drivetrain wears you might have saved more money for some new stuff. then slowly upgrade the finishing kit.
  • supersonic wrote:
    My plan would be this - strip the Vulcan down, sell the frame, forks and wheels. Use the drivetrain and brakes for now on the Fury, and the finishing kit ie bars, seat post, saddle etx.

Buy the Rebas, light wheels, the best tyres you can afford, light tubes, foam grips. When the drivetrain wears you might have saved more money for some new stuff. then slowly upgrade the finishing kit.

That was the original plan transfer everything across but add new forks and wheels. And groupset when I had spare dosh. But now I'm thinking just add a decent set of forks, groupset the next month and wheels.

So £260 forks, £275 for deore one month, then £200 on wheels plus tyre costs and use my existing bars, and stem and save up for Some carbon fibre jobs.
    Budget was a estimate but looking now it will be more.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Always is more ;-)
    The frame has the original headset in. Keep or bin? And a Shimano Altus chainset. Probably flog that. £35 for the frame. Hardly any marks. Take my time and hopefully have it done by Christmas.
  • The Rookie
    The OE Carrera headsets last forever, if it's smooth, keep using it, the one out of my Kraken (looked like it had been stored in a ditch) is in my commuter, was rusty as heck when fitted and is still silky smooth 4000 miles and 4 years later.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The OE Carrera headsets last forever, if it's smooth, keep using it, the one out of my Kraken (looked like it had been stored in a ditch) is in my commuter, was rusty as heck when fitted and is still silky smooth 4000 miles and 4 years later.
    Seems smooth, no gritty noise from it and looks very clean. Bottom bracket seems good also. Frame looks hardly used. One slight scratch on it.
  • The Rookie
    If it aint bust, don't fix it!
  • What's the maximum amount of travel I can have on the frame is it 120mm? Also no idea what stem size to go with yet.
  • The Rookie
    It's fine at 120mm, don't go longer.

Start with what you have and go from there!
  • Yeah good plan hoping it works out nice the bike. Don't know what to buy first. Forks I'm assuming, then wheels, then gears. I'll do as much as I can and bike shop can do the rest.
  • supersonic wrote:

Fark got to wait till the 26th (pay day) they have knocked the price down again they were £269 but at £239 their a bargain.
  • Missus just put spanner in works and just said have her bike and upgrade that if I want. She has just bought a horse so I can see that being the main hobby now.
  • Missus just put spanner in works and just said have her bike and upgrade that if I want. She has just bought a horse so I can see that being the main hobby now.

how rich is your missus horse's are expensive.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    fredblob wrote:
    Missus just put spanner in works and just said have her bike and upgrade that if I want. She has just bought a horse so I can see that being the main hobby now.

Then why do they make lasagne out of them?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    fredblob wrote:
    Missus just put spanner in works and just said have her bike and upgrade that if I want. She has just bought a horse so I can see that being the main hobby now.

tastes better then cow clearly :P
  • cooldad wrote:
    fredblob wrote:

That's pony.
  • cooldad wrote:
    fredblob wrote:

That's pony.

feeling a little horse :lol:
  • Pick them up as foals for £150 then £12 a week stable fees and £60 insurance. Hay bails can be picked up through contacts missus and her mate knows. They worked it all out costs. We're on about £54.000 combined income and £1000 bills and food and rent. So I'm having bike.
  • So which to upgrade now the Cannondale or my new frame? Or put my old Vulcan bits on new frame and just do both?
  • The Rookie
    put my old Vulcan bits on new frame and just do both?
    This
  • The Rookie wrote:
    put my old Vulcan bits on new frame and just do both?
    This
    Do that then . That way I have a choice. But new frame seems very different to my Vulcan the head tube angles very slopped compared to my current Vulcan when messing with my old suntours and attaching my old wheels. Looks fun.