Overly heavy vulcan

bwfc4eva868
bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Weighed my Carrera and it's 15.2 Kg!!!!! Was planning to upgrade it but even losing the Rockshox Tora SL and replacing with a Reba it only gets to 14.5 kg. Also have confirmed the 20 inch frame on mine is too big, a mate has the new Vulcan in 18 inch and he is the same build and height to me. Also been using the missus Cannondale and that's more manouverable. And feels comfort. Been trying to source a Local Vulcan or any other Carrera frame in 18 inch but with no joy. But thought about just buying a new Carrera Vulcan so the starting weight is lower. Even riding the new Vulcan of my mate's in standard trim it feels lighter than mine.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cool story, and your question is?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    buy a new bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • What advice is it you are after then?
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • Basically do I stick with the 15.2 current bike that's too big. Buy the new version in 18 inch and upgrade as I want or wait till next year and buy something for £800
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just because your mate is similar doesn't mean it is the right size for you. What size stem?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't think that frame size will make a huge difference to bike weight. 1/2 lb or so is common. Real red herring that one.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Just because your mate is similar doesn't mean it is the right size for you. What size stem?
    Stem gone from 100mm to 70mm and 650mm bars to 680mm Just concerned on the massive weight. If missus is not riding I always pick her cannondale even with the suntour xcm fork its a easier and better descender. And gives me more confidence.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So
    nicklouse wrote:
    buy a new bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    wheels and tyres probably weight a ton and you can save some grammage by getting lighter tubes. for £60 I saved 935g with tyres and innertubes on the wife's vulcan
  • One is a Shimano M505 and other wheel is a Mavic xm317 on SLX hub. And Continental RQ Black chilli in 2.2
  • i thought my cannondale was a bit on the heavy side at 13.8kilo's 15.2 is big
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Basically do I stick with the 15.2 current bike that's too big. Buy the new version in 18 inch and upgrade as I want or wait till next year and buy something for £800

This normally offers better value unless three a few cheap changes you can make which seems unlikely.
  • Buy a new lighter/ smaller frame transfer all components over and sell the old frame on eBay job done!
    Get lighter wheels tubes and tyres that will save a good chunk of weight.

Jamie
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Throw the scales in the bin and ride the bike till its time to buy something nicer.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    Throw the scales in the bin and ride the bike till its time to buy something nicer.

i agree with this throw the scales away and ride it.
  • I thought about buying a Cube Aim disc which is 13.8 kg and starting again. Plus it would be the correct size 18 inch instead of my 20 inch. Been riding missus's Cannondale SL5 which is 13.9 kg and it's a massive difference compared to my heavy Vulcan. And to be honest, I noticed no difference between the Suntour xcm which is supposed to be a poor fork and the Rockshox Tora SL on mine.

I think I just want to start again, I tried a Cube Aim 29 disc and Analog 26 and they were a bliss to ride compared to mine.
  • supersonic
    Please look up how bikes are sized! I thought we'd been through all this in another thread.
  • i'd be happy with anyone around 13kilo's area.

i had a try on a cannondale SL5 29er it was good but not gr8
  • supersonic wrote:
    Please look up how bikes are sized! I thought we'd been through all this in another thread.

When I bought the bike, I stupidly took Halfords advice. With my size I'm the borderline of a medium 18 inch and the bottom of large.
    But at the time I had a budget of £300 so I bought it. I don't have a massive budget this time either (£500) and just fancy a change. And riding 18 inch bikes feels a lot better and just fancy starting again with a new base model and starting again.

So was thinking either

Carrera kraken
    Cube Aim 26 SL or 29
    I preceded the Cubes because I know that it will be set up properly.
  • What do you mean by your last sentence?
  • supersonic
    supersonic wrote:

When I bought the bike, I stupidly took Halfords advice. With my size I'm the borderline of a medium 18 inch and the bottom of large.
    But at the time I had a budget of £300 so I bought it. I don't have a massive budget this time either (£500) and just fancy a change. And riding 18 inch bikes feels a lot better and just fancy starting again with a new base model and starting again.

So was thinking either

Carrera kraken
    Cube Aim 26 SL or 29
    I preceded the Cubes because I know that it will be set up properly.

So you STILL haven't looked?! You are on a path to disappointment with this, if you buy an 18 inch bike and it turns out bigger than your 20" Vulcan...

viewtopic.php?t=12566711

Absolutely no point buying a Kraken, is barely lighter.
  • What I'm basing it on was that my missus Cannondale is 18 inch has a shorter top tube than Vulcan is lighter gave me more confidence on similar trails I ride my Vulcan on. Even with the so called crap fork it felt more stable and handled nicer and didn't feel like I was riding a sky scraper like I do on the Vulcan.

The 19 inch cube I test rode felt similar but slightly longer reach. I don't know what it is, but the Cannondale, Cube a newer Vulcan and a Boardman comp all in a smaller size seemed nicer and easier to ride than my bike.
  • supersonic
    But lighter has little to do witht the size! What about BB height, head angles and so on? You really need to look at all the geometry figures rather than saying "I need an 18 bike" as it is a mistake too many make.
  • supersonic wrote:
    But lighter has little to do witht the size! What about BB height, head angles and so on? You really need to look at all the geometry figures rather than saying "I need an 18 bike" as it is a mistake too many make.
    Two separate issues weight is a major factor and size. Not sure of geometry of my Vulcan, but the bikes I've tried in previous post are very similar.

And just through feel, I feel more comfortable on the size down.
  • dmont
    dmont Posts: 74
    You seem to really like your missus's Cannondale, so instead of looking at lots of other bikes and wasting riding time... Why not use that and buy her another bike, or get the same bike for yourself ?, simple solution :)
    Riding - Voodoo Bantu
  • dmont wrote:
    You seem to really like your missus's Cannondale, so instead of looking at lots of other bikes and wasting riding time... Why not use that and buy her another bike, or get the same bike for yourself ?, simple solution :)
    I do like it but it's her bike. If there is some left in stock October 26th I'll get one as there 425. But the Cubes are similar ride style and slightly lighter.
  • dmont wrote:
    I do like it but it's her bike. If there is some left in stock October 26th I'll get one as there 425. But the Cubes are similar ride style and slightly lighter.

okay heres a ideas buy the cannondale one the same as your misses that way problem sorted
  • I like the Voodoo Hoodoo's how much do they weigh?
  • supersonic
    Not light. You need to save more.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Not light. You need to save more.

What about £800 budget then?