Overly heavy vulcan

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Opens up a whole new world, I'll get you some links when at my desk.
  • supersonic wrote:

721.80 British Pound Sterling minus shipping charge and delivery and possible custom charge but a really nice spec bike :mrgreen:

jus out of interest do you have to pay a import charge/custom charge
  • Just - notice the t?
  • Yslen
    Yslen Posts: 55
    What year is the bike and are your scales accurrate? It seems like it should be lighter than that, with those forks (~2.1kg). Mine is down to 12.2kg now with Rebas and Schwalbe folding tyres.
  • Yslen
    Yslen wrote:
    What year is the bike and are your scales accurrate? It seems like it should be lighter than that, with those forks (~2.1kg). Mine is down to 12.2kg now with Rebas and Schwalbe folding tyres.

Re-reading the original post it's clearly the previous model you have. I thought they were lighter than the current one, not heavier, as there are some featherweight carreras on this forum using that frame. Still, if it's the same frame as The Rookie's Kraken you should be able to get the weight down to a level you find acceptable for less than the cost of a new bike.

Also the Radon does look good and seems to be well reviewed (my german is sketchy, but "Sehr Gut" only tends to mean one thing). Looks nicer in white though, that blue is a bit jarring.
  • Yslen wrote:
    Yslen wrote:

Re-reading the original post it's clearly the previous model you have. I thought they were lighter than the current one, not heavier, as there are some featherweight carreras on this forum using that frame. Still, if it's the same frame as The Rookie's Kraken you should be able to get the weight down to a level you find acceptable for less than the cost of a new bike.

It's a 2009 V spec with black frame. All original transmission
    Easton Bars and stem changed to 70mm
    Shimano Deore brakes (m535)
    Mavic xm317 rear wheel
    Shimano M505 front wheel
    Rockshox Tora SL coil
    Standard seatpost and charge spoon saddle.
    Comes in at 15.2 kg and 20 inch frame.
  • Yslen
    Yslen wrote:
    Yslen wrote:

It's a 2009 V spec with black frame. All original transmission
    Easton Bars and stem changed to 70mm
    Shimano Deore brakes (m535)
    Mavic xm317 rear wheel
    Shimano M505 front wheel
    Rockshox Tora SL coil
    Standard seatpost and charge spoon saddle.
    Comes in at 15.2 kg and 20 inch frame.

Still not seeing where all the weight is coming from. From the magazine review I've found, the 20" 2009 Fury weighs in at 13kg with the same frame and a slightly lighter (~400g) fork.
  • Stupid way to weigh it I know but me on scales I weigh 11 stone exactly plus bike 14.5 stone and 2 stone 5 pounds is 15.2 kg if I've done my math right.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    14.5 minus 11 is 3.5 on my abacus.
    WTF are stones anyway. It's the bloody 21st century.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yslen
    Stupid way to weigh it I know but me on scales I weigh 11 stone exactly plus bike 14.5 stone and 2 stone 5 pounds is 15.2 kg if I've done my math right.

14.5 - 11 = 3.5 stone
    3.5 stone = 22.2kg, so definitely something wrong with the weighing process/scales!\

I used to use stone for my weight until I started using kg because fitness apps don't accept stone! I think it's just because it's easier to read on older scales...
  • Yslen wrote:
    Stupid way to weigh it I know but me on scales I weigh 11 stone exactly plus bike 14.5 stone and 2 stone 5 pounds is 15.2 kg if I've done my math right.

14.5 - 11 = 3.5 stone
    3.5 stone = 22.2kg, so definitely something wrong with the weighing process/scales!\

I used to use stone for my weight until I started using kg because fitness apps don't accept stone! I think it's just because it's easier to read on older scales...
    Sorry 13.5
  • cooldad wrote:

I drink pints.
  • I must be wrong or scales wrong. The original spec for my bike says 14 kg. The original Suntour xct v2 weigh 2750g they were whipped off and replaced with Tora SL which are 2060g and the M505 wheel 1000g used the dog as a weight comparison and he's 18kg and bikes nowhere nearbas heavy as him.
    It should be around the 13.5 kg mark the bike.
    So some Reba RL's a nice set of wheels and I'm gonna try a 60mm stem and it should be good.
  • Yslen
    I must be wrong or scales wrong. The original spec for my bike says 14 kg. The original Suntour xct v2 weigh 2750g they were whipped off and replaced with Tora SL which are 2060g and the M505 wheel 1000g used the dog as a weight comparison and he's 18kg and bikes nowhere nearbas heavy as him.
    It should be around the 13.5 kg mark the bike.
    So some Reba RL's a nice set of wheels and I'm gonna try a 60mm stem and it should be good.

The real question is whether the weight bothers you, though I suppose your thinking was "hey, if this is 15kg, a 12kg bike must be awesome" rather than "my god this thing weighs too much". Love my Rebas, brilliant for the price on Merlin if they still have them. Maybe take your bike to the vets and ask to use their scales? ^^
  • cooldad
    So we have gone from weighing with stones to weighing with dogs?
    I would stop obsessing about weight and worry about how it rides and how you want it to ride.
    But if it is too big anyway that's not going to help much.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • how many dogs does your bike wieght
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

I drink pints.
    How very manly of you. Milk or juice?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I think I'm after shiny new. But really replacement parts will transform it. On steep stuff I feel confident on missus bike which is smaller. But Gisburn home baked I'm quicker on my bike, seems to handle the bumps better. I suppose I'm lucky in that I can sometimes use either. I set a kom on strava on a climb on mine and can't get anywhere near it on the Cannondale.
    I'm very annoying and always think shiny new is better when what I've got is probably fine. And thinking about it. Bit silly to go from one entry level hardtail to another. Maybe ride through winter and next spring and save up for a High SPEC Hardtail of £1500.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I drink pints.
    How very manly of you. Milk or juice?

Someone got shown up didn't they.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    fredblob wrote:
    how many dogs does your bike wieght

1.3 , going by our westie :D
  • Half a border collie going on full size dog weight or slightly more than our 9 month old border collie pup.
    Just got a 18 inch 2010 Carrera Fury frame. For £30 and wanna build up using this frame now. Budget £600 maybe more so how should I SPEC it? Want it to be under 13 kg preferably lower.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Carrera's can be light, check out the links in my sigs to my bike and some nicely modified Carrera HT's in the second link.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fredblob wrote:

less then a staffordshire bull terrier called buster. :D:D:D
  • cooldad
    fredblob wrote:
    fredblob wrote:

less then a staffordshire bull terrier called buster. :D:D:D
    Do you always answer your own questions?

I believe there's medication for your condition.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Just got a 18 inch 2010 Carrera Fury frame. For £30 and wanna build up using this frame now. Budget £600 maybe more so how should I SPEC it? Want it to be under 13 kg preferably lower.

Rigid forks, SS, 1" road tyres. Sub 13kg easy.
  • cooldad
    njee20 wrote:

Rigid forks, SS, 1" road tyres. Sub 13kg easy.
    Always the comedian.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My bike, as it stands, cost less than that (of which £34 is the frame cost) and weighs a LOT less than 13kg, see link in sig.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My hero. You've done it in about a thousand iterations with a spreadsheet as a labour of love – think of the hours you’ve put in.