ToB - Stage 1 Route - Peebles to Drumlanrig Castle

Comments

• Lead crumbling. 21ks and 48secs. Looks like Petacchi has hit the front.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 19ks, 38 secs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 16ks 27 secs.

Enough time that they can catch him and a counter can go.

Sun is out.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 15ks and 15secs. Looks like TofB need to sort their timing out.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2013
    Delaplace has sat up 14.5ks from the finish.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Looks like it is taking a Frenchman to show them how to race right now.
    He's probably not going to win though - which is kind of the point to the whole thing.

Now he's showing us how to get caught by the peloton. Get your notebooks out, you'll want to jot down the details of how to do this right.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • 13ks to go and the bunch is going at amateur pace.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Dowsett attacks
  • 12ks and we have an attacker from Movistar. Very narrow part of the route.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Oh, that didn't last long :-(
  • Sky riders are massed all over the front in the final stage of the Vuelta right now just as they are here. They need to salvage something from the Tour of Spain though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Joined by a CSF rider but going nowhere.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • That 'attack' lasted less than a km.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crash at the back. One rider needs a puncture but the rest are back up.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crampeur
    Chris Opie (Raleigh) involved.
  • 5ks to race. On these winding and slightly up and down roads no one has the balls to make an attack.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    That 'attack' lasted less than a km.
    I read in the local rag that Dowsett had been suffering from some virus and wasn't 100%, had hardly trained before the race. Possibly just seeing how his legs were whilst he was on that cycle path or whatever it was
  • 2.5ks to 'race'.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Crash :( Was a pretty tight finish in terms of space
  • Ciolek goes way too early and fades and Viviani comes round him to win. The teams who spent the whole time on the front came nowhere. If you missed the stage I would not bother to watch the highlights...that's if they can come up with enough material for them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    2.5ks to 'race'.

You're on fire today FF :lol:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Crampeur
    Ciolek was very impressive though, its not like he had a great leadout and he was full gas for quite a while.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Ciolek goes way too early and fades and Viviani comes round him to win. The teams who spent the whole time on the front came nowhere. If you missed the stage I would not bother to watch the highlights...that's if they can come up with enough material for them.

Why all the negativity? If you'd actually seen just how Shit the weather was at the start and how windy it was (the sort of wind where your average amateur would be crawling along at 10mph on the flat) then you might get it.

Do you really think Sky were trying to win the stage? Really?
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:
    Ciolek goes way too early and fades and Viviani comes round him to win. The teams who spent the whole time on the front came nowhere. If you missed the stage I would not bother to watch the highlights...that's if they can come up with enough material for them.

Why all the negativity? If you'd actually seen just how shoot the weather was at the start and how windy it was (the sort of wind where your average amateur would be crawling along at 10mph on the flat) then you might get it.

Do you really think Sky were trying to win the stage? Really?

Very nasty weather certainly but hat was at the beginning of the race and I have seen far worse conditions in a pro race. The last 50ks that I watched and at least the last 15ks were totally fine and anyone could have at least tried to make a race of it particularly given the roads were not totally flat and wide where attacks would be futile.

I'm also being honest - there is nothing to highlight.

I'm sure Sky would have liked to have won the stage but I am sure they also wouldn't have minded not to. It makes sense in wet and windy roads for any GC hopes to be as near to the front as possible to keep out of danger.

Ps. if you would like me to knock you up an avatar let me know.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    froome was going for the win but couldn't even make it onto the start list. lightweight!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    amaferanga - I'm far from a pro, I'm an old woman and I cycled down from Edinburgh into the headwind to watch the start and even I managed 23mph top speed. Lets not talk about the average - I'm sure that was down to the traffic lights, and the incident where I got blown into the roadworks ;-)
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Will be interesting to see if each stage`s spoiler (even though the whole race should only get one spoiler thread) gets more posts than the Vuelta ones. If so we can conclude...

Then spends the whole thread posting negative tosh. Why are you even watching this "lightweight" rubbish? :roll:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    This was never mean't as a spoiler...
    No spoiler started.
    I wanted a TdF style spoiler with ya Geology, History, maps etc etc