ToB - Stage 1 Route - Peebles to Drumlanrig Castle

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited September 2013 in Pro race
Just thinking ahead for the spoiler thread protocol.
Be prepared.

We're going to need the profile, local history, geology, holiday snaps, name dropping anecdotes etc just as the starter.

Must say the website is jolly good...

Comments

• RideOnTime
    http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/home.php

And here it is...^^^ (as if you couldn't find it yourselves).
  • RideOnTime wrote:
    Be prepared.

We're going to need the profile, local history, geology, holiday snaps, name dropping anecdotes etc just as the starter.

He he

knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Be prepared.
    "jolly good"?

From the website:
    Stage 2 Spectator Information
    Check back here towards the end of August for all of the important spectating information and advice for Stage Two of The Tour of Britain.

5 Sept today, stage 2 is on 16 Sept, and still no so-called important spectating information.
    I’m interested in the road closure times around Buttermere-Keswick with a view to watching them climb the Honister. I don't live locally so I need to plan in advance. Anybody heard anything from other sources?
    (There is spectating information for all the other stages, except the last stage in London - that page still also states 'Check back here towards the end of August')

I also think the website could have put up detailed stage route maps – I can’t be bothered downloading gpx files, and the necessary apps in order to see the routes on a map. And I haven't come across any stage profiles on the website.

Looking forward to the local history, geology, holiday snaps, name dropping anecdotes, etc, on the spoiler threads here, though.
  • RideOnTime
    Stage 2 looks like the one to go to watch.
    All other things being equal.
    :shock:
  • The guys at SweetSpot are snowed under at the moment, not helped by the complication of RideLondon just a few weeks ahead of the ToB. I imagine they'll get the route info onto the website fairly soon. The road closure signs will be going up this weekend I believe, possibly as early as tomorrow. The local councils should have full information if you ask them, having been closely involved in the planning and formalities of the closures.
  • ManOfKent wrote:
    The guys at SweetSpot are snowed under at the moment, not helped by the complication of RideLondon just a few weeks ahead of the ToB. I imagine they'll get the route info onto the website fairly soon. The road closure signs will be going up this weekend I believe, possibly as early as tomorrow. The local councils should have full information if you ask them, having been closely involved in the planning and formalities of the closures.

At least some road closure signs were already up in Surrey at the weekend. I think you're right about the Sweetspot guys - and Mick Bennett doesnt have a big team, far from it
  • RideOnTime
    ManOfKent wrote:
    The guys at SweetSpot are snowed under at the moment, not helped by the complication of RideLondon just a few weeks ahead of the ToB. I imagine they'll get the route info onto the website fairly soon. The road closure signs will be going up this weekend I believe, possibly as early as tomorrow. The local councils should have full information if you ask them, having been closely involved in the planning and formalities of the closures.

Are you the LGA 'ManOfKent' or just an interested bystander?
  • Are you the LGA 'ManOfKent' or just an interested bystander?[/quote]

Assuming LGA is Local Government Association, I'm not him. I merely happen to have been born in Kent, although it seems that technically I'm a Kentish Man, which is rather a shame after I chose that username :(.
  • RideOnTime
    Will the ToB be passing Kentish soil?

I've not looked at all the stages yet.
  • RideOnTime wrote:
    Will the ToB be passing Kentish soil?

I've not looked at all the stages yet.

Visa required to cross the border into Surrey to see St 7
  • RideOnTime
    Visa card...
  • RideOnTime
    I think I'm guilty here of making a thread out of nothing... nothing...
    Now can these threads be woven into some lovely cycling shorts...
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Well, if you are following Stage 1 go to Innerleithen for the best ice-cream outside of Italy! Caldwell's in the Main Street.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Anyone been to the start before ? Any tips ? Does anything happen on the Sat evening ?

Quite looking forward to this....
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Anyone been to the start before ? Any tips ? Does anything happen on the Sat evening ?

Apparently, Wiggins will be playing the spoons - with Quintana on the pan-pipes - in a duet performance of 'Roll Out The Barrel' followed by 'Flight of The Condor'.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Had a quick look at the site yesterday for details of Honister Pass timings - made me look at the Honister mines site for parking - they want to charge £20 per car !!!

Guess all the laybys will be full that day!
  • RideOnTime
    TheFog wrote:
    Had a quick look at the site yesterday for details of Honister Pass timings - made me look at the Honister mines site for parking - they want to charge £20 per car !!!

Guess all the laybys will be full that day!

Swines.

Just jump on to exploit the situation so quickly.

I have decided to abandon my 400 mile round trip to Honister Pass and watch the hi-lights.
    I shall be going for a bike ride instead.
    So take that Honister mines.
  • I believe honister mines let you take away as much slate as you can fit in your car boot, for free.

If any one of you want slate, you could consider the £20 to be money well spent on slate, rather than opportunistic car parking charges...
  • RideOnTime
    I believe honister mines let you take away as much slate as you can fit in your car boot, for free.

If any one of you want slate, you could consider the £20 to be money well spent on slate, rather than opportunistic car parking charges...

There's only so much slate you can eat.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Anyone been to the start before ? Any tips ? Does anything happen on the Sat evening ?

Apparently, Wiggins will be playing the spoons - with Quintana on the pan-pipes - in a duet performance of 'Roll Out The Barrel' followed by 'Flight of The Condor'.

They've renamed it 'flight of the contador' though.
  • Will be interesting to see if each stage`s spoiler (even though the whole race should only get one spoiler thread) gets more posts than the Vuelta ones. If so we can conclude...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I believe honister mines let you take away as much slate as you can fit in your car boot, for free.

My Geo-spidey sense is tingling....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Will be interesting to see if each stage`s spoiler (even though the whole race should only get one spoiler thread) gets more posts than the Vuelta ones. If so we can conclude...

What, that people on a predominately British cycling forum get a bit excited about the biggest race in their country?

That would be a shock, wouldn't it?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • http://www.drumlanrig.com/

"Tour of Britain 2013

The Tour of Britain's Scottish Stage, and Day One of the 2013 race, is coming to Drumlanrig Castle on Sunday 15 September.

Watch the race live on the Giant Screen before the cyclists arrive at the Castle. There will be cycling themed entertainment from 1pm, trade stands, a mouth watering farmers market and much more. Arrive early to enjoy the Country Park, Cycling Museum, Castle Gardens and Stableyard.

Important Spectator Information for Tour of Britain visitors to Drumlanrig Castle

Vehicular access on Sunday 15 September is from the main visitor entrance, on the A76 north of Carronbridge. Admission charges for the day to the Gardens and Country Estate have been waived and car parking for the event is £2 per car.

To ensure that the race runs smoothly and without obstruction, all spectators and vehicles to Drumlanrig must be in place by 2pm. Cars will not be allowed access to the Castle grounds after this time. This is to guarantee the safety of competing cyclists, support staff and spectators."
  • RideOnTime
    Think I mentioned somewhere aboout my abandoned trip to Honister.
    Decided it was too much driving in one day.
    Anyway having not looked really closely at the stages - someone mentioned that you can start in Scotland and on a trip south plan quite a few good connected sitings over the first few days.
  • RideOnTime
    Sorry, I bored myself with that...

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Will be interesting to see if each stage`s spoiler (even though the whole race should only get one spoiler thread) gets more posts than the Vuelta ones. If so we can conclude...

What, that people on a predominately British cycling forum get a bit excited about the biggest race in their country?

That would be a shock, wouldn't it?

Doc, Doc, don't go there.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Apparently we re not up to Smithys standards boys so I WANT YOU TO ALL STOP HAVING FUN NOW!

NOW I TELL YOU!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Well the race is underway. I believe there is a break with about 5 riders in it. I presume we'll use this as the spoiler thread if not I guess I'm writing to myself.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition