I have had enough of London!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Can't argue with that.
  • Well tbh who knows what anyone would do in that situation, you always think about what you could've done after the situation has happened. Best to just ride as fast as you can, get to a busy area or pile into someones front garden and knock on the door.
  • Angry Bird wrote:
    Survival of the fittest. Get to the gym and the next time it occurs smash the first lads teeth in. The second one won't know how quickly to pedal away.

Maybe I titanium bar mounted to your bike for some direct action. A bar in the face often offends.

You're an idiot.

Are you telling me you lot would just nod to these street dwellers whilst they intimidate you and those around you and take your hard earned belongings?

I didn't really mean the metal bar thing but I wouldn't put up with being treat like that and I'm always amazed how many just take it? I couldn't sleep at night thinking about it. It would eat me up.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You play too many video games, in reality it hurts and you stay dead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Survival of the fittest. Get to the gym and the next time it occurs smash the first lads teeth in. The second one won't know how quickly to pedal away.

Maybe I titanium bar mounted to your bike for some direct action. A bar in the face often offends.

You're an idiot.

Are you telling me you lot would just nod to these street dwellers whilst they intimidate you and those around you and take your hard earned belongings?

I didn't really mean the metal bar thing but I wouldn't put up with being treat like that and I'm always amazed how many just take it? I couldn't sleep at night thinking about it. It would eat me up.

I'll be honest there have been a couple of occasions where I have reacted to people, once caught a guy trying to break into our building as I got back home who I confronted and ended in some shoving and me hitting him a couple of times, I'd had a few to drink, fortunately it seemed like he'd had a few more, in hindsight completely stupid. Hand bloody hurt the next morning too. The other time was when someone nicked my phone out my pocket, but I noticed and at that time I had half my team mates around me, and he when "asked" he gave it back.

In the kind of situation the OP is talking about where thugs confront you on the street, that action alone tells you they're up for a fight at the very least. I know people who've ended up in hospital, one of them mugged right outside Kentish Town Police Station. I've seen the mess outside my old flat on more than one occasion from people getting in arguements with the wrong sort.

I've no shame in saying I'll leg it, I'm not massively built but I am very fast, rather fit and can outrun most people, and as such I'll use that to my advantage. If that's not an option then IMO the most sensible choice is to just to do nothing. It's worked up until now, worst I've come off so far is £20 down. Not that fussed really, not worth getting a kicking for at all.

You never know when you might become the next stabbing statistic on the local news.
  • cooldad wrote:
    You play too many video games, in reality it hurts and you stay dead.

I'm well aware of the concept of pain and injury. Thanks.
  • About the fighting back stuff. That is by far and away the most stupid thing you could do. Especially when i am alone against two others that were both older and physically bigger than me. They probably would have experience with fighting and beating the crap out of people whereas the last time i had a proper brawl was like 3 years ago.

I did the only sensible thing that i could have possibly done, and that is to just stop and talk my way out of it, choosing my words sensibly and not giving away alot of information. They asked me where i lived, i didnt tell them any particular road or anything like that. Not even a narrowed down area. I said the first place that popped into my head that was local. They asked me a few questions about my bike and i didnt say "ohh its an aluminium frame, its very light you know! A joy to ride, i spent £300 quid on it" All i simply said about my bike was "oh. its a GT" and thats it.

The easiest way to avoid getting mugged is by being vigilant and taking the safest route possible, through the most "decent" area, like an area such as roger described. I will never go back down that shortcut ever again. It saves me about 2-3 minutes but now id much rather take the alternate route on the high road where i am almost guaranteed to be safe. Also, NEVER take a second look at anyone that you think look like they are out for trouble. I always go to the other side of the road and just look straight ahead. And another good thing is just to ignore people when they try and talk to you. If you do these things then usually you are fine. I have learnt this the hard way unfortunately but now i know what to do.

Today i was taking the bike to a local supermarket and i didnt like the look of a group of youths that were standing around on the road that the supermarket was on. I always lock my bike to a pole anyway, but what stops them from waiting for me outside the shop for me and mugging me and forcing me to hand over my bike? Nothing. I turned around, cycled home and walked back to the supermarket. Id rather have myself happy with the thought that my bike is safe at home and that i will be less of a target. A 5-10 minute walk is well worth it, i dont want to be sitting at home all distraught missing a bike wishing i would have walked to the shop. This is what London life is all about for me in the area that i live in. Its just total BS.
  • cooldad
    BS indeed but you are right.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Its not all good round here either. I swear a cow gave me a threatening look this morning.
    That happens to me most days - hang on, have you met my wife?

Thatchers Cider tattoo on her left boob? Good with a parsnip? Yes I have "met" her

Hang on that's my wife.....better check she comes to cheddar 3 times a week :D
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    . . . This is what London life is all about for me in the area that i live in . . .

You seem a sensible sort of chap. I suggest you move out of there at the earliest opportunity and never look back. There are still plenty of nice places to live in this country.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Giraffoto wrote:
    You seem a sensible sort of chap. I suggest you move out of there at the earliest opportunity and never look back. There are still plenty of nice places to live in this country.

Thanks, my intention is to move away once i go to uni, as in living on campus. Cant get much worse than North London. I havent set myself a target for a university yet but either way i would like to stay there. Saves me commuting (if its in London, if not then i dont have a choice but to move obviously) and i wont have to worry about muggers anymore.
  • Giraffoto wrote:

Thanks, my intention is to move away once i go to uni, as in living on campus. Cant get much worse than North London. I havent set myself a target for a university yet but either way i would like to stay there. Saves me commuting (if its in London, if not then i dont have a choice but to move obviously) and i wont have to worry about muggers anymore.

Good luck to you. Sounds like a sad existence to be afraid of everyone.

I hope you find somewhere you can be at peace.
  • cooldad
    Giraffoto wrote:

Has anyone mentioned yet that you are a total bellend.
    You need to get out of mommy's basement and into the real world.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:

He has a point, it is a sad place to be being on edge constantly and not being able to go about your business without worrying whats around the corner constantly, stopping you from doing what you want to do with fear of what might happen and being afraid of that possibility.

London and a couple other cities in the UK are an absolute no for me and if asked to work there, I certainly would entertain extra long commutes to not have what this guy is going through.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

No? I didnt say i was afraid of everyone O_O Im saying that ive had enough (as the title pretty much says) of being mugged for my effing bike.

I am very much in the real world actually, what makes you think i am not?

If anything youre being the bellend by implying that i said something that i clearly didnt say.
  • cooldad
    I wasn't calling you a bellend, bellend. I was talking to the bellend I replied to, the heroic tough guy bellend.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Briggo wrote:

He has a point, it is a sad place to be being on edge constantly and not being able to go about your business without worrying whats around the corner constantly, stopping you from doing what you want to do with fear of what might happen and being afraid of that possibility.

That is really exaggerated. I can cycle around on the road and be happy that i am completely safe 99% of the time.
  • cooldad wrote:
    I wasn't calling you a bellend, bellend. I was talking to the bellend I replied to, the heroic tough guy bellend.

Ohh. :oops: LOL I do apologize! I was thrown off by the reference of the mum (because i am young, and because my mum seems to be mentioned alot)

Sorry!!
  • cooldad
    Come on we haven't made jokes about your mum for ages. And those are for Crudcatcher only.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I guess you're right. I havent posted in the CC in a while!
  • Cant get much worse than North London.

You should try going South of the river, that's a shithole that takes some beating.

I was a cop in Lambeth for a good few years and decided there had to be more to life than this. I now live in the Scottish Highlands, 2 mins from the beach. Summers are on my kayak or mtb (now road bike) and winters on my snowboard. I left in 2001 and not a day goes by that I regret leaving.
  • Well I live in that Shitehole called south of the river and have done for over 30 years! i enjoy where i live! I also spent part of my childhood in the scottish highlands but it is ok, I can always visit when i get homesick.

What happened to the OP is indeed a sad event but having cycled throughout and across London for 30 years, this has never happened to me. Having said that there is always tomorrow! I have had bikes stolen, been knocked off my bike, been abused, had stuff thrown at me etc but they are all pretty isolated incidents in that 30 years. So take heart, you will soon stop looking so vulnerable and this will pass. Maybe take a different road for a bit?

good luck.
  • I wouldn't live in London for any amount of money. It's a dump. I've been to Busier Cities, (New York, Paris, Sydney etc) so I'm not scared of City life. But London really is a shithole.
    I live in a small ish Town ( Bolton) and it has its fair share of scum estates. I have never once had any trouble from anyone. Got threatened once when I was 18 by a 14/15 year old for not giving him a ciggie, his head got slammed against the shutter of the shop. There is dole dossers, and slappers pushing twenty kids around. But you have a lot more nice areas, we pay £325 a month to rent a two bed terrace which has lots of nice pubs, 5 mins away, a train station. And 10 mins ride your in the countryside, darwen moors one way, rivington another way. Gisburn and hour away. It would be bliss if there was no dole dossing scum.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And if it wasn't in the north.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

Mommy's basement? I hadn't realised you were American. Perhaps that is why your such a keyboard warrior.

It's such a shame that you feel the need to have a go at me. I assure you that you wouldn't in real life. But carry on being a troll, it suits you.
  • cooldad wrote:

You must be at least 14? surely. You should know better.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

Mommy's basement? I hadn't realised you were American. Perhaps that is why your such a keyboard warrior.

It's such a shame that you feel the need to have a go at me. I assure you that you wouldn't in real life. But carry on being a troll, it suits you.
    I didn't realise only American's had mommies. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Or perhaps the steroids are messing with your head.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

You must be at least 14? surely. You should know better.
    Well done. I am indeed at least 14.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • im gonna guess cool dad is mid 40's
  • I assure you that you wouldn't in real life.

WARNING! Internet Hardman Alert.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.