I have had enough of London!

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Sometimes I miss London but not often. I had a handful problems when I lived there, thankfully I can run pretty quick and the worst I ever came off with was £20 or so down on a night out. Had my phone nicked out my pocket once, but fortunately there were half a dozen or so of us and I noticed when he did it, so we told him to give it back and he did.

Some areas are seriously shit though, outside our flat in the space of one month there were 2 "serious assault"s and a stabbing. Even came home one night to find someone trying to break into our building… now I live just outside the M25 and it's like a different world.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,413
    Its not all good round here either. I swear a cow gave me a threatening look this morning.
    That happens to me most days - hang on, have you met my wife?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ... i dont have a pocket on my boxers, and my gentlemans sausage doesnt become a cuboid shape with rounded corners when errect.
    Really..? Oooohhh - I may need to contact my GP.
  • You couldn't out run a couple of scrotes? You need to train more! ;)

They were going quite quickly by the time i looked back, and i was going at a casual cruising pace. And im on 32t bike with offroad tyres, and they had a carrera hybrid with skinny tyres and some other crappy rigid mtb thing, think it was an apollo. Either way both are ultimately faster than me on the road, i didnt have a chance.
    bails87 wrote:
    Seriously, don't do this.

I'm sure some internet toughman will be along to say that you should fight them to the death and not give in, blah, blah, blah. But get insurance, document/photograph what you've got. If it gets nicked it gets nicked and then it gets replaced by your insurance.

A bike is not worth dying for. If you genuinely think someone is willing to use a knife against you then just hand over the bike and let them go.

That was just a joke, its just a bike at the end of the day that can be replaced. If i was sure that they would have stabbed me then i would have handed it over straight away ofcourse. A bike can be replaced but your life cant!
  • Hindus might disagree.
  • you have a far superior bike to them i guess jus pedal a bit faster and out run them
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Its not all good round here either. I swear a cow gave me a threatening look this morning.
    That happens to me most days - hang on, have you met my wife?

Thatchers Cider tattoo on her left boob? Good with a parsnip? Yes I have "met" her
  • I now live in a pretty town in Yorkshire surrounded by hippies.

I live in Littleborough, about 10 miles down the road :wink:
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I now live in a pretty town in Yorkshire surrounded by hippies.

I live in Littleborough, about 10 miles down the road :wink:

I live in Royton, about 10 miles down the road. :wink:
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Gutted for you mate, I lived just outside London and got fed up with the threatening behaviour and crime etc, but luckily I didn't experience anything like that, its one of the reasons we decided to move to my wife's homeland (Devon) before we had kids, we have virtually no crime here and only 2 miles from the beach, downside is pay is Sh*t and house prices are sky high but I wouldn't change it for the world knowing my family is safe.

Working / Living in London has its benefits but they appear to be diminishing fast from what I hear from ex colleagues.
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • fredblob wrote:
    you have a far superior bike to them i guess jus pedal a bit faster and out run them

You obviously made that comment without thinking or reading :lol:

1. Specwise my bike was superior, but they were on a bike that was equipped and built for the road, whereas mine is for going offroad and up steep hills etc. So i would have a massive speed disadvantage with a 32t crank as appose to a 42t (minimum) crank. And fat treaded tyres VS skinny semi slicks.

2. They were already going quickly and i was going slowly
  • J L wrote:
    Gutted for you mate, I lived just outside London and got fed up with the threatening behaviour and crime etc, but luckily I didn't experience anything like that, its one of the reasons we decided to move to my wife's homeland (Devon) before we had kids, we have virtually no crime here and only 2 miles from the beach, downside is pay is Sh*t and house prices are sky high but I wouldn't change it for the world knowing my family is safe.

Working / Living in London has its benefits but they appear to be diminishing fast from what I hear from ex colleagues.

Devon must be lovely. Ive been down to weymouth before and i loved it!! Wish i lived there. Went there on a school trip and they let us out until 11 pm, no troubles whatsoever. And everyone is really nice and friendly.
  • J L wrote:

Doesn't everyone from London go to Devon and Cornwall for the summer? Seemed like it last time I was in croyde
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Maro wrote:
    There was, however, no punishment. I wonder if the reason the coppers don't often chase crimes like this is because the legal system ties their hands to an extent and a slapped wrist is as harsh as it gets.

did the offenders apologise to you? (restorative justice)

if not, its YOUR right to press charges. the police will sometimes try to find the easiest way out, goods returned, no previous, note of names etc, but its your right to live in a civilised society.

especially when you were in "fear of your safety"
  • fredblob wrote:
    you have a far superior bike to them i guess jus pedal a bit faster and out run them

1. Specwise my bike was superior, but they were on a bike that was equipped and built for the road, whereas mine is for going offroad and up steep hills etc. So i would have a massive speed disadvantage with a 32t crank as appose to a 42t (minimum) crank. And fat treaded tyres VS skinny semi slicks.

that ill teach you for going slowly lock the forks and put your back into it. :mrgreen:
  • *that'll
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

Rubbish! A smaller chain ring will help you accelerate far quicker, which was ultimately what you needed to do. The chavs were unlikely to sustain more than about 15mph, which you could easily do. Feeble excuses!
  • njee20 wrote:

Rubbish! A smaller chain ring will help you accelerate far quicker, which was ultimately what you needed to do. The chavs were unlikely to sustain more than about 15mph, which you could easily do. Feeble excuses!

haha told!
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    J L wrote:

Doesn't everyone from London go to Devon and Cornwall for the summer? Seemed like it last time I was in croyde

Yeah, London and the Midlands, and they all go to Croyde cos its the best surfing beach in Devon........apparently :roll:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I had enough of London in two and a half years working there - I've never even contemplated getting another job there.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Never been to London, never plan to go :lol:
  • fredblob wrote:
    fredblob wrote:

that ill teach you for going slowly lock the forks and put your back into it. :mrgreen:

yeah but he might not have known they were going to try and mug him.
  • fredblob wrote:
    fredblob wrote:

yeah but he might not have known they were going to try and mug him.

its london the chances are high.

fail to prepare and prepare to fail and or get mugged
  • There is London and London, The London I live in is a very safe area, the local teens hold open the park gates when i'm passing late night, I do occasionally get "dinner dinner bat man" if I am wearing a Bat Man T-shirt etc.

I also live close enough that I can get to Surrey Hills/Swinley by car quickly and easily.
  • Good for you man
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    There is London and London, The London I live in is a very safe area, the local teens hold open the park gates when i'm passing late night, I do occasionally get "dinner dinner bat man" if I am wearing a Bat Man T-shirt etc.

I also live close enough that I can get to Surrey Hills/Swinley by car quickly and easily.

Sounds like a Richard Curtiss movie :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Survival of the fittest. Get to the gym and the next time it occurs smash the first lads teeth in. The second one won't know how quickly to pedal away.

Maybe I titanium bar mounted to your bike for some direct action. A bar in the face often offends.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    A bar in the face often offends.

And puts you in jail.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Survival of the fittest. Get to the gym and the next time it occurs smash the first lads teeth in. The second one won't know how quickly to pedal away.

Maybe I titanium bar mounted to your bike for some direct action. A bar in the face often offends.

Thats bloody stupid, a good way to end up on a slab whilst someone in a white coats tries to work out which bit goes where
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Survival of the fittest. Get to the gym and the next time it occurs smash the first lads teeth in. The second one won't know how quickly to pedal away.

You're an idiot.