Can someone tell me

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    SpainSte wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    I can't see anything which suggests "an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange."

Some may have found the comment offensive (I didn't, it's a fact that I have experienced), but it was in no way xenophobic. Has the mod in question explained why it was xenophobic ? If the mod does have an answer, then it just reinforces my point made in the bullying thread.

"unreasonable fear or hatred......of that which is.....strange"
    yeah but u do put shi tty tissues in the bin still....!

There you go, thats how it COULD be classed as xenophobic.

That's a brilliant bit of selective quoting, well done :roll:
    Anyway, exactly where is the fear or hatred in PM's statement ?
    With every respect, you're wrong.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I think the only offensive word is 'still'.

An implied criticism.

This shocking use of language should not be allowed on BR :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    team47b wrote:
    I think the only offensive word is 'still'.

An implied criticism.

This shocking use of language should not be allowed on BR :roll:

Yes must use asterisk.

ie St*ll.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    I once had to use the toilet in a bus station in a small town in Mexico

Yeah really?!

You were pi$$ed and in Digbeth bus station - be honest.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b wrote:
    Obviously reducing an entire nation to a stereotype deserves a ban, you daft, old, english, tosser :roll:

this is a personal insult aimed at TPM and clearly not intended to suggest that everyone in england is a tosser, daft, old, or in fact english, but it is based on some basic facts that you have alluded to in other threads.

I did have to assume that you are in fact english though :D

you can have, daft, tosser and english, all perfectly valid, although i do go very brown in the sun, so english probably needs an asterix by it, but i wont accept old, im a mere slip of a lad, still in my 20's unlike the rest of you (i imagine) codgers.
  • Getting back on topic here... my 2p worth.

I think your comment about bog paper in bins could sound offensive - especially to someone ready to take offence. This is always a problem with written messages (email/forum etc.) when it's hard to give irony/context which we get in a face-to-face conversation.

I don't agree with your subsequent attitude/posts (but hey, we're all different) - but if the potential ban is for the messages I've seen on the thread to date (1825 BST), then that's pretty excessive and disproportionate, IMHO.

i did put an exclamation mark after it..that absolves of all sins.
  • obviously it's in your nature judging by your bale post

insinuating chimpy boy looks like an extra from planet of the apes isnt any sort of phobic
  • SpainSte wrote:
    also it hypocritcal i think, especially when i have just come across the suspect on another thread that i read about the origin of shimano groupset names, racially stereotyping the japanese...

So stop crying like a baby and report it if you thought it was offensive and/or racist or xenophobic.

i couldnt care less about their stereotyping, im not fussed what they think, im using it to highlight the double standards here. getting a banning warning for being xenophobic without any explanation bar being told the title thread it occurred in, is the issue i have, and whereby it seems anyone can report anything and seemingly get someone a warning, without a mod using their own judgement/common sense or explaining why. maybe i should go around reporting threads and getting people banned just for the fun of it?
  • Kinda funny it's xenophobia on a thread about Greece! :D
  • team47b
    Gerontophobic too :shock:
  • ballysmate
    Credit where credit's due, the ancient Greek philosophers came up with the answer to a question that perplexes us all as we grow up, namely, why are turds tapered?
    Archimedes realised that it was so they could slide down a narrow tube and built their drains accordingly. Sadly, they were bolloxed when Mr Andrex invented toilet rolls. :wink:
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Credit where credit's due, the ancient Greek philosophers came up with the answer to a question that perplexes us all as we grow up, namely, why are turds tapered?
    Archimedes realised that it was so they could slide down a narrow tube and built their drains accordingly. Sadly, they were bolloxed when Mr Andrex invented toilet rolls. :wink:
    Thought it was to stop your ar$e slamming shut.
  • SpainSte
    SpainSte Posts: 181
    MattC59 wrote:
    SpainSte wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    I can't see anything which suggests "an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange."

Some may have found the comment offensive (I didn't, it's a fact that I have experienced), but it was in no way xenophobic. Has the mod in question explained why it was xenophobic ? If the mod does have an answer, then it just reinforces my point made in the bullying thread.

I've simply singled out the section of the definition which applies in this particular case, but thanks!

I'm not wrong. I'm simply stating the case that the moderators would apply, I have stated several times that I don't agree with it, therefore I'm not wrong, the mods are. Thanks :roll:
  • SpainSte
    SpainSte Posts: 181
    SpainSte wrote:
    also it hypocritcal i think, especially when i have just come across the suspect on another thread that i read about the origin of shimano groupset names, racially stereotyping the japanese...

So stop crying like a baby and report it if you thought it was offensive and/or racist or xenophobic.

i couldnt care less about their stereotyping, im not fussed what they think, im using it to highlight the double standards here.

Its only double standards if you report and nothing is done.

getting a banning warning for being xenophobic without any explanation bar being told the title thread it occurred in, is the issue i have, and whereby it seems anyone can report anything and seemingly get someone a warning, without a mod using their own judgement/common sense or explaining why. maybe i should go around reporting threads and getting people banned just for the fun of it?

If you read something that you find offensive, report it. If you don't, then don't.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,469
    Kinda funny it's xenophobia on a thread about Greece! :D
    :D Took me a few seconds to get that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    SpainSte wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    SpainSte wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

I've simply singled out the section of the definition which applies in this particular case, but thanks!

I'm not wrong. I'm simply stating the case that the moderators would apply, I have stated several times that I don't agree with it, therefore I'm not wrong, the mods are. Thanks :roll:

Fair enough :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Hats off to the mods! The helpful and informative nature of this forum is a credit to the people that run it.
    (Nobody likes to be told off :oops: )
  • ballysmate
    We are all aware of the recent complaints that have been upheld by the mods, and not wishing to reopen that particular can of worms, but are all complaints upheld? Is it simply a case of someone claiming offence and the complaint is upheld, or do some complainants get told to get a thicker skin? Has anyone on here had a complaint rejected?
  • team47b
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Has anyone on here had a complaint rejected?

Nice try :D
  • ballysmate
    team47b wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Has anyone on here had a complaint rejected?

Nice try :D

Don't know what you mean. :roll:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    What we Need on here is a reputation system. If you like a post, you click an icon to reward green and leave a brief comment if you so wish, which can be viewed in the recipients user settings. Similarly, should you dislike a post, you can leave negative reputation. Members reputation level is displayed on the screen, in bars of one to ten. Points are rewarded based on number of posts and the own rep score of the person leaving rep. Negative rep or red, is worth half the score of good rep/green and will be subtracted from your score. Also you have to spread your rep around to ten different members before you're able to reward the same person again (a deterrent for reputation whoring and foul play) A league table of members reputation score would be viewable in the members area. All members have the option of opting out or hiding their rep level/score.

Did you get all that!?

A little moderation by the members might lighten the mods work load and we'd get to see who the Imposters :wink: /positive contributors to the forum really are :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    Did you get all that!?

Got the bit about whoring. Where do i sign up? :lol:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Well, this and a lot of other threads recently leave me wondering:
    When the proportion of posts on the forum that are entirely about the forum and how it is run gets to a certain level, known as the "whinge event horizon", the forum will collapse into a black hole.
    The question is - what is that ratio and how close are we to it?
  • seanoconn
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Did you get all that!?

- Pervert
  • ballysmate
    seanoconn wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Did you get all that!?

- Pervert

I am wondering if being called a pervert is bullying, but on balance, probably not, because some people would agree with you. :D
    Talking of perverts, shocking news about Rolf. :shock:
  • ballysmate
    Sean, I couldn't give you positive for calling me a pervert and giving you a negative would seem like sour grapes. So I was a bit bewildered as to what to award you. :?
  • seanoconn
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Sean, I couldn't give you positive for calling me a pervert and giving you a negative would seem like sour grapes. So I was a bit bewildered as to what to award you. :?
    Ok, this is how it works.

I award you positive rep + for a good post (I'm easy :wink: ) and in return I expect positive rep when possible. I continue in this fashion with other lucky recipients in exchange for their rep, thus elevating my points total and increasing my rep power untill I'm king of the forum. Capiche?

That's not what's supposed to happen with a fair rep system but that's what would happen :lol:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    So what you're saying Seanthecon is that we should cross the bike radar forum with flea bay ratings?

What would we call it?!.... fleabr. Nah bollox - this is just another ploy to boost your ego. Go and do some work you shirking stalking loafer.
    Oh and whilst I am at it - go and do some proper cycling (on a bike with gears) you bloody closet communter.

PS The Chinese would have you arm off for some Kryptonite, so put the phone book away. BTW D comes between C and E - you'll find most RD's in North Wales sporting Plaid Cymru flags.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    When the reputation system comes to pass, I can see you languishing at the foot of the table covered in red.

Anyway, I'm off to China tomorrow peddling powdered Pina balls, said to turn men into lady boys. If business is good, I might not be back. You'll miss me when I'm gone. So yung.

PS you cycle like a girl
  • ballysmate
    Where is the Mantis? Did the mod(s) follow up on their pre ban warning, or have his employers found him some work to do?