Suspension fork boots

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    OK just call it the stuff in them then. Me not being a scientist.

There are far better ways to apply lube where needed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Whatever. If you're too cack handed to use it without spraying it all over your bike that's no reason for others not to use such an excellent product. :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Sprays, even when careful, tend to go everywhere, including some places where you don't want it. That's all.

Only if you're an idiot.
    No, not really. Sprays are imprecise.
    I'll echo CDs sentiments, feel free to use them yourself, since you can be certain that I do not give a flying f**k about you and yours.
    But I wouldn't.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The simple solution is to spray on a silicone based lube with your front wheel removed. I take mine off to clean and lube the maxle and check brake pads anyway so its no extra effort.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Remember also that lube on the actual stanchions isn't desirable. You need it on the foam rings. Any lube on the stanchions will inevitably just make dust and grit stick to them.
  • Kowalski675
    Sprays, even when careful, tend to go everywhere, including some places where you don't want it. That's all.

Only if you're an idiot.
    I'll echo CDs sentiments, feel free to use them yourself, since you can be certain that I do not give a flying f**k about you and yours.
    But I wouldn't.

I don't give a flying f**k about yours either - but to give spurious, misguided and incorrect information, passed of as supposed fact, just because you're too clumsy to use the product is ridiculous.
  • Kowalski675
    Remember also that lube on the actual stanchions isn't desirable. Any lube on the stanchions will inevitably just make dust and grit stick to them.

You're talking cobblers again. The silicone coating repels dirt. You're talking about a product that you've obviously never used, nor have any experience of, so your misguided and incorrect opinions hold no value.
  • Kowalski675
    The simple solution is to spray on a silicone based lube with your front wheel removed.

The Fenwicks lube is silicone based - excellent stuff.
  • YeehaaMcgee

Only if you're an idiot.
    But I wouldn't.

I don't give a flying f**k about yours either - but to give spurious, misguided and incorrect information, passed of as supposed fact, just because you're too clumsy to use the product is ridiculous.

It's not spurious misguided information. Sprays get to odd places. So I don't use them. I also don't that other use them either, because almost every issue I've had to fix on people's mountain bikes are because of cleaners, solvents, and lubricants getting where they shouldn't.
    Sorry if that causes deep offence, but like I said, I am really not bothered about you, you odd, angry little man.

Remember also that lube on the actual stanchions isn't desirable. Any lube on the stanchions will inevitably just make dust and grit stick to them.

You're talking cobblers again. The silicone coating repels dirt. You're talking about a product that you've obviously never used, nor have any experience of, so your misguided and incorrect opinions hold no value.
    oh for the love of... :roll:
  • Kowalski675
    edited August 2013
    Whatever. You really do talk some utter tosh, lol, but keep it coming - your sad, misguided delusions of omniscience are funny... :lol:
  • cooldad
    Trouble is not everyone reading here is as competent. We've got people had who spray their entire bikes with WD40 to keep them clean, randomly spray lube in the vicinity of the chain, and have even had people lube brakes to stop them squealing.
    There are more precise ways of applying lube where required, and not c0ck their whole bike up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    edited August 2013
    cooldad wrote:
    Trouble is not everyone reading here is as competent. We've got people had who spray their entire bikes with WD40 to keep them clean, randomly spray lube in the vicinity of the chain, and have even had people lube brakes to stop them squealing.
    There are more precise ways of applying lube where required, and not c0ck their whole bike up.

If you can't spray a bit of lube on your stanchions without getting it anywhere else (or follow the simple directions on the tin or the website) then you shouldn't be tying your own shoelaces, never mind riding or maintaining a bike. :lol:
  • cooldad
    Although I am firmly of the opinion that less is better. Bit of grease in the headset and BB, decent (Squirt) chain lube, a touch of oil on mech pivots, and keep the stanchions clean and the wipers moistly oiled.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    I've started using the Squirt chain lube recently too - good stuff.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

If you can't spray a bit of lube on your stanchions without getting it anywhere else (or follow the simple directions on the tin or the website) then you shouldn't be tying your own shoelaces, never mind riding or maintaining a bike. :lol:
    Being a good person, I believe it is better to help people than laugh at them.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Being a good person, I believe it is better to help people than laugh at them.

By incorrectly telling them that an excellent product, that does exactly the job they want, is bad for their bike. Very helpful... :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:

Well, we live in the real world though.
    But, again, stanchions aren't where you actually need or want the lube. you want the lubrication on the foam rings, through which the stanchions pass.
    The wipers on the fork lowers, if they're doing their job properly - and experience says they almost always do - will, (best sit down for this one, kowalski) wipe anything off the stanchions as they pass through.

Now, go and make yourself a cup of camomile or something. You're new to this MTB world, aren't you? Some things are only learnt with experience.
  • Kowalski675
    You crack me up. I can't decide if you're just a troll, or an idiot who has something wrong with him that robs him of the basic social interaction skills most people take for granted, actually believes all the tosh he types, and really does believe that he's some kind of omniscient guru, despite all the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, lol... :lol:
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    To be fair, silicon spray does stop mud from sticking - a lot of xc racers use it on their tyres to stop them clogging up. The silicone spray also happens to be for forks however even though its branded as such, I wouldn't be spraying it near my bikes, at least without the rotors covered. Sprays do get everywhere whether your careful or not, so I agree with CD. A few drops of a proper fork lube is good enough for me.
  • Kowalski675
    Greer_ wrote:
    Sprays do get everywhere whether your careful or not,

They go just where you spray them - can't blame the product for user error. You'd have to be seriously incompetent to get it anywhere near your rotors.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You crack me up. I can't decide if you're just a troll, or an idiot who has something wrong with him that robs him of the basic social interaction skills most people take for granted, actually believes all the tosh he types, and really does believe that he's some kind of omniscient guru, despite all the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, lol... :lol:
    I'm just someone who's got a lot experience of what does and does not work when it comes to maintaining mountain bikes, and what common problems people both cause, and run into, in the real world. People are not infallible, and user error is almost inevitable.
    So, I try and help by giving advice based on that experience, advice that leaves little room to mess up, since I don't take for granted that people who are asking for help maintaining a bicycle, are engineering gods. Keep it simple.
    I also try and recommend that people generally tinker less with their bikes, since very little really needs to be done - despite all the marketing hype around various products trying to empty your wallet.

Which is why I don't approve of people like you, who'll offer unnecessarily complicated, contradictory, often incorrect advice, that will often lead to complications, or unnecessary expense.

I try and keep advice frugal, simple, and to the point.
    Try to bear in mind that all kinds of people, from technically inept, to complete mechanicing novices, to experienced tinkerers read these forums, to me that means the best advice is the simplest advice.
  • Kowalski675
    You're funny. For all the wrong reasons. :lol: I've seen more spurious, misguided and incorrect "advice" from you than anyone else on here, lol (there's nowt worse than a self appointed "expert"), and I wasn't aware that you needed to be an "engineering god" to use a "complicated" aerosol can... :lol:

You may well be a complete moron, but I'm inclined to think that you're just a troll.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Find some incorrect advice then. I've asked you this before.
    I've never claimed to be an expert. If I appear to be one in your mind, that says more about you than I.
  • rockmonkeysc
    What a pair of dicks. Meet up for a nice cuddle and stop turning every thread in to one long bitch.
  • Kowalski675
    Find some incorrect advice then.

Read your own contributions to this thread for a start, lol.

There's nothing "complicated" about bicycles (they're very simple things) - people like you just like to try make others think there is, so that you can massage your enormous ego by enlightening them with your massive expertise, lol. :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Im quite surprised that dicks wasn't censored but b1tch was!
  • Kowalski675
    What a pair of dicks. Meet up for a nice cuddle and stop turning every thread in to one long *****.

My contribution to the thread was to succinctly (one word and one link) answer the guy's question. There wouldn't have been any need for further discussion if the usual muppet hadn't started talking cobblers and flapping his huge ego again. :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Your contribution, and I use the term loosely, was to derail yet another thread, because you have a difference of opinion. Are you aware that not all responses are directly to YOU?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Greer_ wrote:
    Sprays do get everywhere whether your careful or not,

They go just where you spray them - can't blame the product for user error. You'd have to be seriously incompetent to get it anywhere near your rotors.

Stick a bit of newspaper under your bike next time you spray your forks, you'll be surprised how far it can spatter regardless of how accurate you try to be.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    This is a man sneezing - aerosol - goes everywhere.
    M1300704-Man_sneezing-SPL.jpeg

This is a picture of a lady not sneezing, although the magazine is called Sneeze.
    l_01.jpg

Which would you rather have near your bike?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
This discussion has been closed.