Wiggo just a Tester.

124»

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    FJS wrote:
    polska1979 wrote:
    I was at a sportsmans dinner a week or so ago, wiggins was the star attraction, with a q&a session after the usual chicken dinner

- he never had the ambition to win the tdf more than once, unlikely to ride it again

Didn't he say last week that he would like to ride next year's Tour again 'working together with' Froome?

You can't take anything he says very seriously. It wasn't that long ago he wanted to go for the Giro Tour double.
    I think he has a bet with someone on whether he can stay in the papers at least once a week until Christmas about his plans for next year
  • Big interview in the Times today. Will see out his last year with Sky, then retire from the road. Back to track for next 2 years to try and get into the TP squad for Rio, to try and end his career with one more gold.

Back to what he said in his book last year.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,952
    "I don't mind admitting that Chris is probably a better Grand Tour rider than me," he told The Times.

"He is a much better climber, he can time trial as well. He has age on his side, he has no kids. That's fine.

For me this is the key phrase. The guy has achieved a lot, but it's a tough life and it's maybe time to recalibrate his priorities.

I like the fella and it would be great to see him plug some of the more obvious gaps in his palmares next year.

I would be surprised if he's in Rio.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • "I don't mind admitting that Chris is probably a better Grand Tour rider than me," he told The Times.

"He is a much better climber, he can time trial as well. He has age on his side, he has no kids. That's fine.

For me this is the key phrase. The guy has achieved a lot, but it's a tough life and it's maybe time to recalibrate his priorities.

I like the fella and it would be great to see him plug some of the more obvious gaps in his palmares next year.

Yeah, think you're right. He's been training in Mallorca rather than Tenerife, so the family can be with him as much as possible. To be honest, not sure if he's ever really enjoyed the actual business of road racing that much - he likes the training more than the racing, by his own admission, and he enjoys the camaraderie on the road. But his heart's always been the track really.

Best news is that he's back with Shane Sutton. They've always been a formidable partnership. Will he be in Rio? Guess it'll all depend on whether he knuckles down to the training in 2015 and hits the numbers. If he does that and makes the team for a World Cup and they go well...who knows. Or he might just mess around a bit, and the idea fades away. For sure, making the TP squad in Rio at 36 is a tall order, especially with the competition from the young GB guys coming through.
  • Manning was 33 at Bejing in 2008.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    It's sad to hear Brad talking like this (although understandable) - he had the biggest engine in the world last year (which is a pretty astounding achievement in itself..) crushing the likes of Martin, Cancellara and Froome - he was in the top 4 or 5 best climbers in last years TDF - of course, he wouldn't have been this year, but even so, that's not bad going either. Lets hope he takes the World's TT this year.
  • Daz555
    Maybe. Getting into the TP squad for Rio is going to be incredibly difficult - the strength in the GB track squad is astonishing.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Daz555 wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Lucan2 wrote:
    What is a tester?
    Just askin'
    A time trial rider.
    Someone who Tests themselves against the clock.
    So, that will be all cyclists then.
    Sure, if they want to but you can't mean David Harmon ?
    He would get lost on his own and start riding cross country again on his motor bike.

Testers are also Downhill Ski racers.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Thanks for the explanation of what a tester is.

Now, why does it always seem to be used (at least in this forum) as a disparaging term?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Lucan2 wrote:

Now, why does it always seem to be used (at least in this forum) as a disparaging term?
    It's not considered the most exciting type of racing so it is easily dismissed as lacking intangible qualities such as panache.
    Easy to do whilst sat in an armchair. Pro teams are probably a little bit more pragmatic.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Wiggins is doing a bit of testing here: will the video camera disintegrate if it bounces off the ground ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzHmhgjL2pc
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    morstar wrote:
    Lucan2 wrote:

It's not considered the most exciting type of racing so it is easily dismissed as lacking intangible qualities such as panache.
    Easy to do whilst sat in an armchair. Pro teams are probably a little bit more pragmatic.

You could also argue that it is the pure, ultimate test of a rider. No team mates to draught you, no help covering breaks etc, just the rider against the clock. So, who wins is the fastest/strongest on the day.
  • Never read more s**t in all my life. We wait all these years for a British tour winner,plus everythingelse Wiggins has won, and people talk him down. Im never one to hero worship any sportsman but what he has achieved on the road is nothing short of fantastic.I remember the years of Sherwen and co when getting round the Tour was considered a great feat,which ofcourse it was.
    I suspect the people sniping have never ridden at any level of road racing otherwise they wouldn't come out with such b*****s.
  • Never read more s**t in all my life. We wait all these years for a British tour winner,plus everythingelse Wiggins has won, and people talk him down. Im never one to hero worship any sportsman but what he has achieved on the road is nothing short of fantastic.I remember the years of Sherwen and co when getting round the Tour was considered a great feat,which ofcourse it was.
    I suspect the people sniping have never ridden at any level of road racing otherwise they wouldn't come out with such b*****s.

This is of course a spot on observation. Wiggins is a bloody legend. But this is BR’s Pro Race forum where b*****s is the norm.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    FJS wrote:

I look forward to Cookson's second edict as UCI president, which I suspect will be re-allowing aero equipment for the Hour record just in time for a Wiggins tilt at the title.

The first edict, of course, will be allowing compressionwear in competition. Jamie Fuller's long game payoff.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Never read more s**t in all my life. We wait all these years for a British tour winner,plus everythingelse Wiggins has won, and people talk him down. Im never one to hero worship any sportsman but what he has achieved on the road is nothing short of fantastic.I remember the years of Sherwen and co when getting round the Tour was considered a great feat,which ofcourse it was.

This is of course a spot on observation. Wiggins is a bloody legend. But this is BR’s Pro Race forum where b*****s is the norm.

Waw. So you think people are harsh here on a British biased bike forum. I suggest you not to go to the other cycling forums around then..
  • Fabu and Tony tearing it up at the big boys race ... Wiggo tearing (the different one) up at the thought of a few days Crit racing ...

Question is after which split point at the WCTT does Wiggo blame the equipment and chuck a strop?
  • Daz555
    Fabu and Tony tearing it up at the big boys race ... Wiggo tearing (the different one) up at the thought of a few days Crit racing ...

Question is after which split point at the WCTT does Wiggo blame the equipment and chuck a strop?
    Yeah, like he did in 2011.
  • patchy wrote:
    FJS wrote:

I look forward to Cookson's second edict as UCI president, which I suspect will be re-allowing aero equipment for the Hour record just in time for a Wiggins tilt at the title.

The first edict, of course, will be allowing compressionwear in competition. Jamie Fuller's long game payoff.

Has Fuller not moved on to athletics?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • patchy wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Has Fuller not moved on to athletics?

He's certainly wheeling around Ben Johnson like a fairground owner with a freak show

Urgh
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    greeny12 wrote:
    Hats off to the BBC Online photo editor for managing to source that pic for page lead!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23663568

That is a great shot. Puff out them cheeks.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Fabu and Tony tearing it up at the big boys race ... Wiggo tearing (the different one) up at the thought of a few days Crit racing ...

You mean like he did at the Olympics? :roll:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Whoever wins the WCTT will surely be a worthy winner. TM has been the benchmark for a couple of years that motivated Wig go to reach new heights. Now the previous master has returned to imperious form. This could possibly be a once in a lifetime clash of 3 truly exceptional TT talents. Of which, Wiggo is definitely the least predictable.
    It's a rare treat when any sporting contest isn't missing at least one key protagonist through injury or other lack of form.