Wiggo just a Tester.

Comments

• If you think Cav's not desperate for an Olympic medal, you dont know too much about him!

Funnily enough if Cav was prepared to take some time out for track stuff, I actually think he'd be incredible in the Omnium. He'd roast them in the bunch races, and he'd put out a mean flying lap and 500

But anyway...aint gonna happen
  • tim wand wrote:
    Right yer, Cav giving up the chance of personal glory to support Wiggins efforts for Olympic Gold

Wouldn't they both get the glory in the madison? Like this...

olympics12cavwiggo.jpg

(Cracking haircuts from both of them there...)
  • Ahhhhhh

They were an awesome Madison partnership....

Until...you know....
  • ...and 500

Is he going to get an Olympic gold by entering the women's event?
  • ...and 500

Is he going to get an Olympic gold by entering the women's event?

Laura Trott'd be mightily peeved

Feck. Feckety feck :oops: Meant the K
  • It would be interesting to see how he would get along in it. Trouble is, would you select him over Ed Clancy? Not sure I would.
  • It would be interesting to see how he would get along in it. Trouble is, would you select him over Ed Clancy? Not sure I would.

Probably not. Ed Clancy's a bit ambivalent about the Omnium, but fact is he's got some blinding results.

If you could take Cav's bunch race tactical skills and give them to Ed Clancy....bleeding heck...
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Wiggins and Cav in the Olympic madison... cancel all engagements, I'm going to Rio!!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    "With Froome's supremacy I have no place in France. I'd like to focus on track again."
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    As predicted not the 'tester' that was expected ... On par with Phinney at Eneco ...

Wiggins is the best of the GT TT'ers ... A couple of hard(ish) seasons blunts the legs same as Fabu ...

Not that I'm suggesting the Olympic TT was scheduled to suit a British rider ... Heaven forbid ...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Not that I'm suggesting the Olympic TT was scheduled to suit a British rider ... Heaven forbid ...

In what way scheduled to suit a British rider?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited August 2013
    As predicted not the 'tester' that was expected .....

Predicted by who, where?

As Dimbleby says 'it's only a straw poll' but more or less all the PTP punters went for Wiggins....the rest for Phinney.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    So......If he has been putting on weight, and training specifically for TTs, what the hell went wrong? Martin and Cancellara were not there and he still lost out.

If he is no longer a GT contender, and gets smashed in the TTs, what are Sky paying him his megga salary for?

This from a Wiggins supporter. Dont want to sould mean but you cant go from Yellow jersey and Olympic TT winner to nothing, in a year, and expect to be taken seriously. Sky must well p****d off. :evil:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I just hope he isn't going back to the Wiggins of old (pre-Garmin) who would target things like the Tour prologue and then fail to deliver. A win in the TT World Championship race would no doubt be nice for his palmares, but how many times do you get to wear the jersey each year? The one that really counts is the road race.

I remember back in the day reading about Wiggo never doing more than four hour training rides, etc. Can't help but think he will go back to that and just make the odd appearance at the front of races. If Stannard is the GC man in Eneco the least he can do is actually try to do some damage for Stannard over the weekend now that the TT is out of the way. Sitting up and coming in a few minutes behind the peloton on every stage is no use to anyone.
  • Clearly finished! :roll:
  • There could be something else going on, something he would require a little extra muscle mass for, the Hour record as a dual late season objective along with the TT Worlds. Trying to explain my thinking... http://spokeydokeyblog.wordpress.com/20 ... /199-laps/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As predicted not the 'tester' that was expected ... On par with Phinney at Eneco ...

Wiggins is the best of the GT TT'ers ... A couple of hard(ish) seasons blunts the legs same as Fabu ...

Crank,

I'd say it was a shorter TT and we all know Brad prefers the longer ones. Lets just see. I don't in anyway shape or form know what you are referring to about the Olympics
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    mike6 wrote:
    So......If he has been putting on weight, and training specifically for TTs, what the hell went wrong? Martin and Cancellara were not there and he still lost out.

If he is no longer a GT contender, and gets smashed in the TTs, what are Sky paying him his megga salary for?

This from a Wiggins supporter. Dont want to sould mean but you cant go from Yellow jersey and Olympic TT winner to nothing, in a year, and expect to be taken seriously. Sky must well p****d off. :evil:

Why is he worth it? Your post nicely proves why Wiggins is worth his salary.

He's done nothing this year and he's made the news more than Froome and probably even more than Armstrong...
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    frisbee wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

He's done nothing this year and he's made the news more than Froome and probably even more than Armstrong...

Well, he has made forum news, not sure about anything else.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    mike6 wrote:
    frisbee wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Well, he has made forum news, not sure about anything else.
    BBC Sport have been talking about his weight, his Ride With Brad, his Poland TT, his "not being able to watch the Tour". They also covered the dump he took on Saturday morning after Friday nights kebab.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    What is a tester?

Just askin'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Lucan2 wrote:
    What is a tester?

Just askin'
    A time trial rider.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tester = Time trialist
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:
    Lucan2 wrote:
    What is a tester?

Just askin'
    A time trial rider.
    Someone who Tests themselves against the clock.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • polska1979
    polska1979 Posts: 152
    I was at a sportsmans dinner a week or so ago, wiggins was the star attraction, with a q&a session after the usual chicken dinner

Couple of highlights

- he never had the ambition to win the tdf more than once, unlikely to ride it again
    - he is focusing on the worlds and the classics, specifically Paris Roubaix
    - Heaped lots of praise on Froome
    - stated that Sky's no nonsense approach to ex dopers was driven by sky and not so much brailsford, after all the Murdoch bad press, they didn't want any bad press

The audience weren't really cyclists, more rugby league fans, so no really tough questions, but he seemed to answer everything candidly
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    deejay wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Lucan2 wrote:
    What is a tester?

Just askin'
    A time trial rider.
    Someone who Tests themselves against the clock.
    So, that will be all cyclists then.

Some are just better at it than others.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    There could be something else going on, something he would require a little extra muscle mass for, the Hour record as a dual late season objective along with the TT Worlds. Trying to explain my thinking... http://spokeydokeyblog.wordpress.com/20 ... /199-laps/
    I would love for this to happen, I'm hoping there is something else going on like that and he's not just gone in to sulking teenager mode. Such a shame he didn't do what he wanted to do in the giro, apart from the illness it did look like the 'inner chimp' had gone up the swanny too, seemed like he just wasn't with it some of the time this season.

Must have missed this one: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cancell ... our-record
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    polska1979 wrote:
    I was at a sportsmans dinner a week or so ago, wiggins was the star attraction, with a q&a session after the usual chicken dinner

- he never had the ambition to win the tdf more than once, unlikely to ride it again

Didn't he say last week that he would like to ride next year's Tour again 'working together with' Froome?
  • polska1979
    polska1979 Posts: 152
    Who knows, he also brought a jersey which "allegedly" he wore in the Olympic road race

Went for £675
  • FJS wrote:
    polska1979 wrote:

Didn't he say last week that he would like to ride next year's Tour again 'working together with' Froome?

You can't take anything he says very seriously. It wasn't that long ago he wanted to go for the Giro Tour double.