I though cyclists were friendly?

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Just to put it out there, but do most people on here when walking down the street acknowledge everyone else walking down the street? When playing tennis do you acknowledge the person playing in the next court? When eating in a restaurant do you acknowledge the person eating at the next table?

Do we have to acknoweldge everyone else doing the same thing as us all the time?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    nferrar wrote:
    There's one thing worse than cyclists ignoring other cyclists and that's cyclists caring enough about being ignored that they post threads about it on cycling forums.

True.

only things that get my goat are the red light jumpers that don't give a hoot about others and those that just sit 3 abreast chatting away and ignoring traffic and others.

So ignorant people on bikes then. Plenty in surrey.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    philbar72 wrote:
    nferrar wrote:
    There's one thing worse than cyclists ignoring other cyclists and that's cyclists caring enough about being ignored that they post threads about it on cycling forums.

True.

only things that get my goat are the red light jumpers that don't give a hoot about others and those that just sit 3 abreast chatting away and ignoring traffic and others.

So ignorant people on bikes then. Plenty in surrey.

go on chuck in non helmet wearers and this thread could carry on for years!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Chris Bass wrote:
    bushpixy wrote:
    everyone I see on the roads/trails seems friendly. I'm in the midlands.

On Sunday I caught up with an elderly cyclist who had come from Bristol up to Leominster so about 70 miles. He wasn't fast, but he was getting on with it complete with map on the handle bars hehe :lol:

I had been averaging around 19mph, but I took the time to slow to his speed and have a chat, etc. I give a thumbs up or a hello/alright to everyone I see :)

did this happen or were you just trying to casually throw in your average speed?! :wink:

Ah come on - even my wife can average 19mph - on the flat as well - it's not difficult. Bushpixy didn't say how far they themselves had ridden - probably only a mile or so - most of that being downhill ... otherwise why else would you mention the average speed?! ;)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    ... And wearing earphones
  • Mikey23
    ... And wearing replica Sky kit
  • I went out earlier today for a bit. I didn't see one other cyclist and non of them waved to me either, the b&st&rds.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Well I just made a flapjack, so I should be happy, but I've run out of scotch, so I'm not. Don't expect a nod from me tomorrow.
  • Mikey23
    Go around smiling and waving at motorists, pensioners, small children, animals .... Won't be long before you're sectioned
  • chris_bass
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Go around smiling and waving at motorists, pensioners, small children, animals .... Won't be long before you're sectioned

the queen has done this for years and no one has sectioned her!!
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    tuono24 wrote:
    Or at least they used to be
    Ive just got back into cycling (after 20yrs and 20kg!) and am now trying to make up my lost yooof :roll:
    However apart from the obvious reduction in speed :( the one thing that I am finding increasingly staggering is just how ignorant / rude cyclists are compared to 20 or so years ago :shock:
    Again today, on 50 mile 18mph trundle road the leafy lanes of essex, out of about 20 cyclists only 2 actually acknowledged a wave / high. I slowed for one (who I passed at a junction) and he just went straight past without so much as a kiss my *rse. (and then spent the next 5 miles breathing out of his ears trying to keep ahead)

Why? ...Could it be because I don't have the "regulation" specialized or chinarello? or is it just now a sign of the times?

I live in Essex and all the people I pass seem to be say hello. Do you wear a helmet as i will ignore people who don't and maybe other will as well.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    CBA to read the whole thread - has anyone mentioned the Nazis yet?
  • chris_bass
    tootsie323 wrote:
    Are you sure you're not actually Alan Shearer..?

Some call me Adolf........
    Imposter wrote:
    CBA to read the whole thread - has anyone mentioned the Nazis yet?

kind of?
  • I get the same treatment on my Boardman :roll:

It's pretty sad that you get judged on the kind of bike that you ride lol i don't let it bother me too much though it's a decent comfortable bike at a decent price.
  • chris_bass
    HiCadence wrote:
    I get the same treatment on my Boardman :roll:

It's pretty sad that you get judged on the kind of bike that you ride lol i don't let it bother me too much though it's a decent comfortable bike at a decent price.

but the whole point of this thread is cyclists saying hello to cyclists, why not narrow it down a bit further cyclists with similar bikes saying hello to each other? or widen it out, say hello to any one doing exercise, or even further, anyone outside? who gets to decide what the acceptable level of friendliness is?

just say hello if you want, if they say hello back then great if not then who cares? its not like you were trying to strike up a blossoming friendship with them!
  • Cycled past a club ride last night, in case the OP was in this particular club ride I made an effort to say hello to everyone by nodding my head.....

Pretty sure they thought I was having a seizure!
  • Cycled past a club ride last night, in case the OP was in this particular club ride I made an effort to say hello to everyone by nodding my head.....

Pretty sure they thought I was having a seizure!

LOL!

In the mornings I pass a particularly pro looking cyclist. I always try to act like I'm super serious and just setting off on a huge ride, in reality I'm halfway to work and my legs are heavy - I'm hoping he doesn't notice my replica jersey, my normal shoes, my lack of lid and complete ignorance of how to set-up a bike correctly.

Next time I'll give him a wave.
  • rhurbarb
    rhurbarb Posts: 75
    Out of 10 cyclists il get a wave back with 9 riders .
  • tuono24
    tuono24 Posts: 9
    On my route yesterday I deliberately ignored everyone
    Very liberating Maybe the miserable/ unsociable bstds have got a point
    :lol:
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    I'd say 50% of riders I say hi to on country lanes respond with any speech. Some raise a hand and the rest just look at you as if you have just raped their whole family.
  • Critch
    Critch Posts: 60
    Mostly friendly here in Norfolk, always get a wave, nod, hi, or a flick of the fingers off the hood. One or two have focused only on staring at my bike as they approach from 40 metres away and stared at it as if it was riderless, completely ignoring me which is not very civil or sociable - these are guys I'd stop for if they had problems.... The last guy to do it I shouted "there is a person on this bike, asshole!" It took him by surprise and he wobbled a bit. I kept going with a cheery wave. Thats the kind of snobbery I detest, but as with most things in life, there are always assholes around the corner.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Recently travelled through Cambs and Essex-miserable lot,apart from the lady riders who all waved.
    And the males could do with less pies.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • They're all trying too hard on Strava.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Cycling as a leisure pursuit was better before about year 2009ish.
  • chris_bass
    Critch wrote:
    Mostly friendly here in Norfolk, always get a wave, nod, hi, or a flick of the fingers off the hood. One or two have focused only on staring at my bike as they approach from 40 metres away and stared at it as if it was riderless, completely ignoring me which is not very civil or sociable - these are guys I'd stop for if they had problems.... The last guy to do it I shouted "there is a person on this bike, asshole!" It took him by surprise and he wobbled a bit. I kept going with a cheery wave. Thats the kind of snobbery I detest, but as with most things in life, there are always assholes around the corner.

so you yell asshole at a complete stranger and he/she is the rude one and the one not being very civil?

just checking i'd got that right!!
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LduVTrCHqQ

Might try this when cycling past a group ;)
  • i will be out in essex tomorrow morning dodging cars heading to V, injuries permitting. if you come across someone looking in pain and going slow, feel free to wave, say hello, throw money at me, but dont expect anything back, unless your on a horse and look good and i ve slowed down even further, if your lucky you will get a response if not its because a, im too exhausted, b, in too much pain, c, too surprised that anyone was soooo polite or d, im a miserable f ecker who cant be waving at/speaking to all of the many many cyclists i will come across. so dont be offended. its nothing persoanl. its not you, its me.
  • awsm
    awsm Posts: 210
    I wave most of the time but unless it's someone I recognise I rarely pay attention to see if it is acknowledged or returned.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Critch wrote:

So basically you're shouting obscenities at strangers?
  • Funny, I thought "Aren't people friendly round my new area?".
    Turns out everyone was in a good mood just because the sun was out. Now I get glares, have started to feel like a mental and have given up.
    FCN 7

"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson"