I though cyclists were friendly?

Comments

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    well I imagine most of us all try and acknowledge fellow cyclists as we are going about, but we dont always succeed, and yeah Im as guilty of blanking people sometimes (as Im sure everyone else is) as Im focussing more on self preservation on the road in front of me, than worrying about if Ive given the correct level of acknowledgement or greeting to a complete stranger :lol:
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    They must be the very same riders that pass through South Oxfordshire.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Every time another cyclist waves or nods at me I extend them the internationally recognised wrist gesture for "masturbator". Seems to work well in the Surrey Hills.
  • barrie h
    barrie h Posts: 102
    I came home from work in the car one day to see a cyclist walking down the road with a broken seat post, come in and we`ll fix that , I put a spare post on for him and off he went after a brew
    Two days later my seat post was on the step and a thank you note
    His name was Bob and thats all I know about him
    He was just a fellow cyclist in Lancashire
    I dont understand why some think they are so superior they have to go to the toilet just like every body else !!!!

Barrie
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Dunno if people are less friendly nowadays but I'd say people are more sensitive deffo. FFs get a grip ;]
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    pride4ever wrote:
    Dunno if people are less friendly nowadays but I'd say people are more sensitive deffo. FFs get a grip ;]

does that mean that you have noticed that more people are sensitive to the replies you post? Have you also noticed that when you are on a bus how the person next to you is always totally normal :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    I always say hi and raise a hand and am not overly surprised when I do not get the same back! Hey ho! I find that the mountain bikers are always cheerful and say hello though.
  • Baby Trek wrote:
    I I find that the mountain bikers are always cheerful and say hello though.

Because they have no real friends and are weirdos
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • team47b wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:

does that mean that you have noticed that more people are sensitive to the replies you post? Have you also noticed that when you are on a bus how the person next to you is always totally normal :D

Only freaks use public transportation, Vtec told me that.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    I generally either wave or say hi to every 'road' cyclist I go past and I would say the response is about 70%, and I'm down south in Sussex. However, if I don't get a reply I don't care. I'm just being pleasant but I don't expect people to respond. After all, they're out doing their own thing. Maybe those who don't respond to me are totally in the zone and need to stay completely focused on the task of riding, or maybe they've had an awful day and don't feel like being nice, or maybe they just think I'm a tw*t and don't know why I'm greeting them. Either way, who cares. Doesn't affect my ride one bit. I'm out to ride and won't lose sleep if someone doesn't wave at me.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    Baby Trek wrote:
    I I find that the mountain bikers are always cheerful and say hello though.

Because they have no real friends and are weirdos

See ... viewtopic.php?f=40028&t=12933039&start=20
    Seems to be a recurring them.... This time is the MTBers !! Having a pop at the roadies !!! ... Oh what fun :roll:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I try and wave or nod to other cyclists for no other reason than to try and reduce the number of threads about it on here. Does that make me worse than a non-waver...a fraud who is pretending to care? I'm so confused.
  • ct8282 wrote:
    I generally either wave or say hi to every 'road' cyclist I go past and I would say the response is about 70%, and I'm down south in Sussex.
    Hmm. That's about the response rate I got in Sussex today as well. Is there some sort of council quota?
    Mangeur
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    The North/South thing is rollocks. There are other places in the South other than London y'know!

I went out for little 20mile hangover-killer yesterday afternoon in the Oxfordshire countryside, saw 5 other riders, got 5 waves.

I think you can forego waves on a commute though. Cycling then is just a method of transport rather than a leisure pursuit. The person you're waving at may have no other choice than to cycle rather than doing it for the love of it.
  • owenlars wrote:
    especially in places like Richmond Park or Leith Hill where you see hundreds every time you go there? quote]

I cycle around richmond park with one hand permanently raised. That way I acknowledge everyone I cycle past :D
  • if you pass a group of riders and they all nod, do you nod to each one?

people shouldnt get offended if people ignore them, there are myriad reasons people may not respond.
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    I cycle around richmond park with one hand permanently raised. That way I acknowledge everyone I cycle past :D
    Are you sure you're not actually Alan Shearer..?
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Someone didn't return a wave to me once when on a 100 mile ride I was so annoyed I turned round and went home after 5 miles.
  • tootsie323 wrote:
    Are you sure you're not actually Alan Shearer..?

Some call me Adolf........
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    owenlars wrote:
    especially in places like Richmond Park or Leith Hill where you see hundreds every time you go there? quote]

There must be a product in here somewhere - a waving hand on a spring that attaches either to your helmet or handlbars.
  • fatsmoker wrote:
    owenlars wrote:

There must be a product in here somewhere - a waving hand on a spring that attaches either to your helmet or handlbars.

If not, get on Dragons Den asap! :)
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    [img][/img]

So I said, "I need a £500,000 investment for 11% of the company."
    Peter Jones replied "This is the stupidest idea, ever! I'm out."
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    I don't consider myself to need any validation.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I normally do give and recieve waves, but was out on Saturday in just baggies, t-shirt and a back pack (just riding to my mum's house) and didn't get any waves back from "roadies". Maybe they just didn't think of me as one of them in my casual gear?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    I say hi to anyone I come across. A lot of the time I get a response but there have been the occasion where I have been completely ignored. Heck it happens!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    fatsmoker wrote:
    a waving hand on a spring that attaches either to your helmet
    Hmm, that could get you arrested.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    elbowloh wrote:
    was out on Saturday in just baggies, t-shirt and a back pack (just riding to my mum's house)
    I find this too. If I'm out in my official roadie uniform, I always get a hi or a nod at least pulled up at traffic lights.

In peasant costume such as jeans, I'm completely invisible to other roadies.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    There's one thing worse than cyclists ignoring other cyclists and that's cyclists caring enough about being ignored that they post threads about it on cycling forums.
  • bushpixy
    bushpixy Posts: 49
    everyone I see on the roads/trails seems friendly. I'm in the midlands.

On Sunday I caught up with an elderly cyclist who had come from Bristol up to Leominster so about 70 miles. He wasn't fast, but he was getting on with it complete with map on the handle bars hehe :lol:

I had been averaging around 19mph, but I took the time to slow to his speed and have a chat, etc. I give a thumbs up or a hello/alright to everyone I see :)
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    bushpixy wrote:
    everyone I see on the roads/trails seems friendly. I'm in the midlands.

On Sunday I caught up with an elderly cyclist who had come from Bristol up to Leominster so about 70 miles. He wasn't fast, but he was getting on with it complete with map on the handle bars hehe :lol:

I had been averaging around 19mph, but I took the time to slow to his speed and have a chat, etc. I give a thumbs up or a hello/alright to everyone I see :)

did this happen or were you just trying to casually throw in your average speed?! :wink:
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes