Ride London Classic **Spoiler**

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yep - the pros are slowed up a bit by 3 Leith Hill Laps and any slow riders will be sent on short cuts.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    BBC commentary has infuriating music in the background. Grumble.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    gpreeves wrote:
    Is there a profile of the route anywhere? Couldn't find one on the official site, or is it so flat that nobody has even bothered? I've always felt the UK could have an interesting one day race in the South-West, the home counties are just a little dull.

http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/A ... rofile.pdf

Has a map of the route + a profile

Cheers, that's the sportive route but it's all the same other than a couple more laps of the Leith Hill loop.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Any predictions for the winner?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Nice to see them on roads some of us are famliar with. Good few spots for the fans to watch and enjoy. Good to see London displayed like that. Surprised at how lightweight the startlist is - I am having trouble recognizing many of the teams let alone riders. Maybe it needs a few years to develop into something the teams want to support. Wouldnt be surprised if one of the big race organisers snapped it up which would force teams to come. Am sure there is a pretty penny to be made by them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • majormantra
    Paul 8v wrote:

Hard to see past Sagan if he can be arsed. And assuming the peloton can be arsed to bring things back together.
  • gpreeves
    Wouldnt be surprised if one of the big race organisers snapped it up which would force teams to come. Am sure there is a pretty penny to be made by them.

I think you're probably right, anyone know what the crowds are like on Leith and Box hills? The first 20k out of London seemed to be fairly well supported for a chipper.
  • gpreeves
    Paul 8v wrote:

Hard to see past Sagan if he can be arsed. And assuming the peloton can be arsed to bring things back together.

Ciolek and Swift probably fancy it too.
  • Robb0
    Robb0 Posts: 90
    Pross wrote:
    It was all going so well until Hugh turned up. Now it's all about Sky and how 5 minutes is a dangerous lead.....with 140km still to go!

It says something when I find Carlton less irritating! Thank god for Eurosport even though I haven't got it in HD. Actually I've got used to hearing Carlton's voice on the GTs and he's not so bad now. Still miss Harmon though.
  • Nice to see them on roads some of us are famliar with. Good few spots for the fans to watch and enjoy. Good to see London displayed like that. Surprised at how lightweight the startlist is - I am having trouble recognizing many of the teams let alone riders. Maybe it needs a few years to develop into something the teams want to support. Wouldnt be surprised if one of the big race organisers snapped it up which would force teams to come. Am sure there is a pretty penny to be made by them.

It's a 1.1 race so open to any team in the top 3 divisions. As such, there are 8 World Tour teams and 6 Pro Continental teams.

The 6 British '3rd tier' Continental teams are all included, who all were very prominent in the televised Tour Series ITV4 and Elite Series (Eurosport) as well as the Premier Calendar races (Eurosport), and there's a British U23 team as well.

Being 1.1, global Continental sides are also eligible to race (they wouldn't be able to if this was an .HC race) so there's 4 of them.

I don't forsee a better line-up without (a) a change of date and / or (b) an elevation of status to .HC or .WT.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    I think it's a fairly decent field - it's good for the top UK based teams to ride and the pro tour and 2nd div teams have sent some big names. Sure, I don't know much about the individuals in the Joker-Merida team.
  • alexjr
    alexjr Posts: 1
    I was enjoying the race on the BBC this morning and I was quite happy to sit and watch it all day. I left the room for a few moments, game back and the news was on. Waited for it to finish and then another program started. Checked the TV schedule and saw that the race was back on at 1630. I may be wrong, because I am fairly new to cycling and watching it on TV, but I don't know if this sort of interruption happens on any other TV channel. I think it is time the BBC got its act together and invest in a sports channel! It is long overdue.
  • gpreeves wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

and Demare (FdJ) led out by Soupe Can see Offredo going on the attack nearer the line then its up to Cannondale Green Edge Sky to chase

Green edge have bought a strong team and a small bus though so Goss must be odds on
  • frenchfighter
    alexjr wrote:
    I was enjoying the race on the BBC this morning and I was quite happy to sit and watch it all day. I left the room for a few moments, game back and the news was on. Waited for it to finish and then another program started. Checked the TV schedule and saw that the race was back on at 1630. I may be wrong, because I am fairly new to cycling and watching it on TV, but I don't know if this sort of interruption happens on any other TV channel. I think it is time the BBC got its act together and invest in a sports channel! It is long overdue.

A bit late now as it will be back on soon but it has been live all day on the red button (301 freeview).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    alexjr wrote:

It's available on red button. Unusual to get coverage of a whole race on UK TV but can't understand it being relegated to red button just to show Flog It on BBC1 though.
  • majormantra

Green edge have bought a strong team and a small bus though so Goss must be odds on

:D

I notice that Irish chap on his own has his helmet straps over his Oakleys. Hasn't he read the rules?
  • gpreeves wrote:
    I think you're probably right, anyone know what the crowds are like on Leith and Box hills?
    The crowds on the loop are, compared to the turnout for the ToB climb of Barhatch Lane last year, absolutely pitifull. Access to Leith Hill has been killed off by the closures for the sportive, and travel in the area is seriously awkward to say the least. The organisers have pretty much shot themselves in the foot as far as roadside viewing is concerned because "ride / drive / walk up the route to preferred location, view race" hasn't been viable.
    Mangeur
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    wahey! hugh porter's gone :D
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Yep, back to Brotherton / Hayles.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    gpreeves wrote:
    Is there a profile of the route anywhere? Couldn't find one on the official site, or is it so flat that nobody has even bothered? I've always felt the UK could have an interesting one day race in the South-West, the home counties are just a little dull.

Given the UK's climate and terrain it really is a shame we don't have a well established hilly spring classic, further demonstrated by the fact the Devon stage of the ToB is amongst the best, if not the best stage year after year (Haytor Rocks summit finish this year! :D)
  • Paul 8v

:D

I notice that Irish chap on his own has his helmet straps over his Oakleys. Hasn't he read the rules?
    Absolutely not acceptable!
  • Paul 8v
    And yeah if Sagan wants to play I think it might be his, however I hope Millar catches the breakaway
  • frenchfighter
    Doesnt make any sense that they have two sets of commentators. The voices of Hugh and Brian are much better.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gpreeves wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

and Demare (FdJ) led out by Soupe Can see Offredo going on the attack nearer the line then its up to Cannondale Green Edge Sky to chase

There he goes
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    What's the status right now? Anyone away?

How many kms to go?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Go on, Yates.
  • frenchfighter
    What's the status right now? Anyone away?

How many kms to go?

48ks, 7 our front, Yates (UK Youth) Bauer and Offredo at 35secs, depleted peloton at about 50secs
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Yates, Bauer and Offredo bridge and the group of 10 have 49s with 40km to go.
  • gpreeves wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

There he goes

there he goes again ...glad they've read the script :)
  • frenchfighter
    Offredo so classy on a bike. Topsort lad is very eager and doing great for a youngster. Wish the moto would do a sweep of the peloton so we could see who is left and whether Sagan is there. Sagan is either suffering or playing it Freire style.
    Contador is the Greatest