Post Ride London 100 - time, thoughts & experience?

1234568»

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    loved the last 10 miles. I was totally done in until we went past mile 91 marker and then the really picked up pace and must have had a slight downhill as I was flying. Only issue was The Mall is a terrible surface and wish that was smoother for the run in
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    b4ssy wrote:
    Just a quick question:

There was a sweet milk-like recovery drink in the goodie bag. Could someone tell me please the brand name of this drink.

Thanks
    http://www.nurishment.co.uk/
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    dave milne wrote:
    no need to stop at all for sub 5 hours I reckon.
    I have 3 energy bars, 2 gels and 3 bottles. I kept the 3rd in my back pocket.

Didn't stop for a pee so rode completely non-stop from start to finish

I didn't stop either. I took 6 gels with me and had one left over
  • I witnessed a couple of incidents.

Came round one of those tight corners with barriers in a small town (no idea of name) and saw an old lady being tended to by a medics with a bleeding head and a guy standing with his bike. Either the result of him taking it too wide and hitting the old lady or she was one of the ‘walkers’ that chanced crossing the road.

The second crash was while I was getting my seat post sorted. I think it was in Dorking. I heard an almighty ‘smack’ from across the road and saw a cyclist flying through the air and hitting the ground hard. He lay there not moving (but thankfully breathing) and was immediately attended to my paramedics – he’d crashed right next to them! It looked like he was definitely the direct result of a walker as there was an old guy looking really shocked and backing off.
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Shackster wrote:
    IanREmery wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    Did anyone else suffer from existential angst during the ride ? After about 70 miles, on the flat bit coming back in to London, I got a bit bored and wondered what the hell I was doing there.

No...I got a litle emotional.

Glad it wasn't just me who got a smidge emotional. I was shaking when I crossed the finish line. Partly adrenaline and massive endorphin rush, partly stopping the tears from flowing.

Huge +1 to that. I realised after Leith Hill that I was going to comfortably beat my target of 6 hours (5:42), which meant that one of my sponsors had to cough up another £100. That, together with the sheer experience of seemingly flying the last 20 miles, was just overwhelming. In those last miles I just kept getting waves of something flooding through me, adrenaline I guess, like a huge rush. Very shaky with emotion as I raced up The Mall and over the line, with a slightly over-exuberant air-punching as I finished. Bit embarrassing looking at the photo now, but what the hell. :mrgreen:

This was a little different to your average sportive.

+1 here too. Once past the hamstring cramp on Wimbledon hill the last miles were fast but all riders were full of joy, including several who were doing the relay. I missed the famil cheering just before the mall due to the noise and adrealine zone I was in pushing hard powered by the crowds. In the queue for medal bag and photo was definitely holding off the trears realising ive raised ovdr 1000 for a fantastic cause. The mrs didn't notice the emotion when I called her thouh so still 'all man'
    Insert witty signature here
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I found it emotional too, but it could have been a lot worse, I really could have blubbed lol.

Why I found it emotional I am not so sure. Its lots of little things added together.

The Mall was not at all what I expected. I thought there would be more riders and we would all be sprinting down it for the line.

Next year will be better. I am fired up about it already. Even Christmas as a kid was not looked forward to so soon!
  • Anonymous
    Shackster wrote:

If there is anything in the UK that comes close can you please let me know.

How near does another UK event come to that?
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    Carbonator wrote:
    Shackster wrote:

If there is anything in the UK that comes close can you please let me know.

How near does another UK event come to that?

+1

Due to impending child #2 scheduled at Xmas I'm not planning much for next year. Anything cycling won't come anywhere near RL100.
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    Anyone here who started in the Blue or Black wave A start?

Had an email from the event director to say there were some issues with the start, especially those in wave A's and have been given automatic entry for next year?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You lucky barstard !
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Another one here that really enjoyed it and thought the organisation was superb. I had no problems finding the start or the route. My official time was 5:06:57 - I was aiming for 6 hours so I was really happy with that.

My mate that I travelled with was in black wave A and he said they were directed down the wrong road so had to do an about turn and get back on track. Yes he has had an apologetic email offering him Guaranteed Entry into next years event - not free, but guaranteed.

The closed roads, the support all around the route, the volunteers, the organisation and the weather made it a really special weekend! Definitely better than any sportive I've ever done.
  • After reading this thread I'm really up for this next year. It sounds great. God I hope I get picked or I will be one grumpy boy! Fingers crossed!
    At the erse end o' a coo!
  • A truly memorable day for me. Only took delivery of my road bike 3 months prior and managed 5 hrs 10. I was thrilled.
    Suggestions for next year: better laid out water stations..it's not ideal to have to get off your bike and walk in cleats up a grassy bank (top of box hill).It would have made more sense to use the cafe at the top of box hill for the water station. Another thing that would be useful is an app for the iPhone so friends and family can track your progress (they have one for the marathon). Also, hold it on a Saturday so people can let their hair down a bit and have a beer or three afterwards (although I'm guessing there's a reason why most sportives are held on an Sunday..quieter roads etc. Can't think of anything else really.
  • . Another thing that would be useful is an app for the iPhone so friends and family can track your progress (they have one for the marathon). .

Endomondo will do this for you on any of your rides.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Gizmodo
    ... hold it on a Saturday so people can let their hair down a bit and have a beer or three afterwards (although I'm guessing there's a reason why most sportives are held on an Sunday..quieter roads etc. Can't think of anything else really.
    I'm guessing that filling hotel rooms on the Saturday night before the event has a lot to do with it.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Another one here that really enjoyed it and thought the organisation was superb. I had no problems finding the start or the route. My official time was 5:06:57 - I was aiming for 6 hours so I was really happy with that.

My mate that I travelled with was in black wave A and he said they were directed down the wrong road so had to do an about turn and get back on track. Yes he has had an apologetic email offering him Guaranteed Entry into next years event - not free, but guaranteed.

The closed roads, the support all around the route, the volunteers, the organisation and the weather made it a really special weekend! Definitely better than any sportive I've ever done.

You scared me then Colin I thought I would have to pay, just checked the email and sure enough it states: -
    I am writing to apologise for your experience at the start of the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 when you were mistakenly taken off course.

I am in the process of interviewing riders, marshals, drivers, sector managers, safety managers, ‘coners’, route directors and control-room staff to ascertain the exact chain of events that led to the incident.

Whatever the result of the review process, the bottom line is that, as Event Director, this happened on my watch and therefore I take responsibility.

I hope that it did not totally spoil the event for you and that you were able to enjoy the rest of the ride and the experience of cycling on traffic-free streets.

I would like to offer you a free guaranteed entry to the 2014 Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 where we will invite the same riders from Black Wave A to start the event.

You will get a link to a guaranteed entry in February, so please do put the date of Sunday 10 August 2014 in your diary.

Once again, many apologies for this incident.

Hugh Brasher
    Event Director Prudential RideLondon

Hopefully no accidents the week before next time, so will hopefully let you drag my sorry ass all around.

Brilliant event , great Fun, you can drive with your tank next time....lol

Enjoyed the company as well.

I saw that someone has had their time adjusted for the direction errors by 15 minutes, I find that hard to believe, perhaps a minute or two but that was it!
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    ... hold it on a Saturday so people can let their hair down a bit and have a beer or three afterwards (although I'm guessing there's a reason why most sportives are held on an Sunday..quieter roads etc. Can't think of anything else really.
    I'm guessing that filling hotel rooms on the Saturday night before the event has a lot to do with it.

Was going to ask if you we're Colin from src, looks like you are!

Cracking event, was looking for you and the other src boys in the park at the end but to no avail. Paid the price for the quick start and found the last 15 miles tough but the crowds kept me going. Where did that hill come from round Wimbledon, I thought London was flat? Overall pleased with time of 4h51.
    Dave pugh
  • Smirf
    Smirf Posts: 123
    I must say I was expecting to be underwhelmed given I have regularly ridden most of the course on numerous occasions, and that, combined with an unearthly 4am wakeup almost had me cancelling.

And I am so glad I didn't. Superb ride. The joy of riding through London without stopping and people cheering is something I couldn't have envisaged beforehand. Also the speed of it was a joy. Put down 5,20, whilst secretly hoping for a sub 5hr. Ended up about 4hrs 16. Amazing

Needed a pee from about 25 miles but didn't want to stop as was having too much fun!

Ballot tomorrow ?
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
    Trek Triton Singlespeed - "commuter"
  • Gizmodo
    @vellonutter - damn, that's even worse, guaranteed and FREE, you had some luck that weekend! I think Shimano are sponsoring next years event and a condition of free entry is you have to ride with their kit :lol:

@Dave - cool, I have an Internet stalker, result :wink: Damn good time Dave, the SRC team came past me at about 85 miles and we met up again by Liz's outdoor bath. We'd have been there at about 12:15
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    . Another thing that would be useful is an app for the iPhone so friends and family can track your progress (they have one for the marathon). .

Endomondo will do this for you on any of your rides.

My wife was tracking me via the official site, although it only gives your position at 5 points. I'd like them to make the double rubber strips across the road that hold the gizmos more bike friendly - my video is a bit naff because I was trying to lessen the effect of hitting the damn things in most of the footage.
  • jasonbrim
    jasonbrim Posts: 105
    I did it in 4:53 (official time 5:17).

I stopped twice for water (before Leith and at Sandown - both were very quick as I suspected when I chose them as my stops) and once to help someone who crashed quite badly (coming down the hill from Pyrford).

I couldn't believe the nerve of people shouting at me for stopping (on the pavement) to help someone who crashed infront of me. Perhaps they couldn't see him as he went over the curb and into a ditch. The crash wasn't his fault (nor mine), but the fault of some moron who couldn't hold his line on the descent. I almost had the same thing happen to me in the same place and again coming down Leith. But I knew those descents were dangerous, so was very cautious.
    I hope he was okay - I got him all checked out, dusted off, and helped fix his handlebars, then we went off slowly but he stopped after a couple hundred metres...

Ascending was okay - just a case of keeping right and saying "right" if needed, and moving left when someone behind shouted "right".

Bit disappointed I couldn't push much between Box and Esher - my leg was playing up. But it was an amazing ride, and me and my dad stayed together the whole way to cross the line arm in arm :)
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    That salad cream puzzled me too, but it tasted great in the sandwich I made for today's lunch, which is probably why they included it. Very clever marketing actually, especially as Heinz Salad Cream was on BOGOF this morning in Tesco. Those subliminal marketeers really know their onions. And no, I do not work for Heinz / Tesco or either's marketeers.

Apologies if it was any of you that I brushed once or twice when I got funnelled from the RHS, especially in the Dorking approach and climbing Leith Hill.

Clapping the townie clapper / supporters is mandatory. As is telling the volunteers that you love them, especially if they hand you a "fly-by gel" in Kingston / Wimbledon / Putney. And karma arrived in the form of a chain end draft through Richmond Park right down to Byfleet from the dude whom I gave half my energy drink to in the starting pens after I took pity on him (didn't have time to fill his bottles in QEOP).

Also, did anybody record or know how to access the BBC red button footage ? I think the camera was at the finish line ?

haha are you the chap riding the CAAD 10? Think it may have been me you donated the energy drink to!
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Did it, loved it and already registered for the ballot for next year. My first 100 and i set of way too slow, think I really overestimated the ride and wanted to keep up a reasonably average pace of about 14mph. Got to the finish in 8 hours but had a few stops including a planned cup of coffee with a couple of mates in leatherhead. I could have done it a lot quicker as i was fine at the end but my aim was to finish rather than go for a real speedy time (thats next year).
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Anonymous
    Just watched the cycle show (itv4) episode about ride RLS100.

The first guy on the sofa made me feel a bit unwanted as a middle class* white male cyclist lol

The second guy banged on about wanting/asking people to ride slowly and take in the sights, then got very excited about people going through Putney high street at great speeds :shock:

*if you have a slightly expensive bike and proper kit you are middle class in his eyes I would guess.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Just watched the cycle show (itv4) episode about ride RLS100.

The first guy on the sofa made me feel a bit unwanted as a middle class* white male cyclist.

Yes I found that very strange, without the middle class male there would be no cycling activity in this country
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    I'm guessing, but I'm sure that the middle class white male on that sofa was trying to make a point about about how wide and and diverse diverse the cycling community is now. A great point clearly lost on the both of you. I don't think you've got anything to worry about in the current financial climate I'm sure 'cycling' will continue to be the preserve of the middle aged middle class white male.
  • Anonymous
    I did not miss any point, I just feel it was an odd and pointless point to make!
    It kind of raises more questions than answers imo.

I was not aware of any real problem with which ages, races and classes cycle (not to the extent he seems to be suggesting anyway)

How did he know the white males were middle class?
    How did he know the asian lady was not middle class (he seemed to suggest she must have been working class or something to me)?
    Would it have upset him if she were middle class?

When I was at the start I did not look at everyone based on their age colour and sex. They were just cyclists.

If I had seen (I guess I must have) an asian guy while waiting to start and thought 'hey, there's an asian guy cycling, isn't that great'. Would that make me a better or worse person?

Getting more people cycling is one thing (and I am all for it) and getting more women and children road cycling is another (also in favour of), but I really do not give a rats anus much beyond that.

He was basically saying he was glad it was not me crossing the line (or whatever she did) and I just find that odd.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Carbonator wrote:
    I did not miss any point, I just feel it was an odd and pointless point to make!
    It kind of raises more questions than answers imo.
    Hmm... I'm not sure you really get it. He wants a more diverse population cycling - we might all be different but we still like a lot of the same things :roll:
    Carbonator wrote:
    I was not aware of any real problem with which ages, races and classes cycle (not to the extent he seems to be suggesting anyway)
    Did he say there was a problem? Or was he simply alluding to the fact that perhaps some sections of society don't appear to cycle as much as others and it would be good if more did
    Carbonator wrote:
    If I had seen (I guess I must have) an asian guy while waiting to start and thought 'hey, there's an asian guy cycling, isn't that great'. Would that make me a better or worse person?
    What on earth does that mean?
    Carbonator wrote:
    Getting more people cycling is one thing (and I am all for it) and getting more women and children road cycling is another (also in favour of), but I really do not give a rats anus much beyond that.
    ...and how is that view different from the point being made on the show?
    Carbonator wrote:
    He was basically saying he was glad it was not me crossing the line (or whatever she did) and I just find that odd.
    No he wasn't, you're saying that!!l Get that boulder off your shoulder!! He said it was good that it was an Asian family that were the15,000 cyclists to cross the line

I raced at Palace a couple of years ago and a 16 year old black kid (Germain Burton) won the race.
    I raced at a VETS race a week ago and one of the guys was a 83 years old
    I did the Etape Du Tour in 2005 two guys climbed pass me with prosthetic legs.
    I raced in Wales and Emma Pooley kicked 80 guys proverbial to win one of the hilly stages.
    Non of the protagonists were able bodied, middle-aged, middle class white males. If we highlight their success in anyway it must then follow that we're denigrating the middle class white male. Thats what you seem to be saying