Post Ride London 100 - time, thoughts & experience?

Comments

• Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I was very happy with my overall time (5.42) but staggered beyond belief by my time for the last 9 miles - just over 21 minutes, which smashes anything I've ever done - 25.6 mph!! Where the F did that come from?? And why can't I usually ride at that pace? :roll:
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • kr445
    kr445 Posts: 5
    Rich_E wrote:

Didn't see many poachers, as I know thats something we talked about on this forum a good bit before the event. There were a few guys in central london I saw, but a number of them were just commuting to work. I actually thought the more problematic ones were those who were cycling on the road against the oncoming riders, seemed to be a few people doing that on the run in back to London.

Between Abinger and Holmbury I was passed by about 8 riders wearing Crawley Wheelers jerseys who did not appear to be registered. The road was relatively congested at that point and they did rather barge their way through (admittedly on the right....)
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    edited August 2013
    If you enjoyed the ride please consider signing this e-petition requesting Surrey County Council continues to support this event in future years.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/s ... -each-year
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I thought there would be more editorial coverage on here, or have I missed something?
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    My thoughts: I had to be in London that day. After some loops and thorough negotiating with traffic assistance, the bus drive was only able to drop us off like 2 miles from Victoria Station. I had to walk and was already late. However, I had a smile (or smirk) on my face; it's cool when it's for cycling, right? I even applauded a late (I assumed, this was at Chelsea Bridge around 2:30pm) group of riders. It was nice to spot people on bikes everywhere; some well-soignéed, some more casual, but all having a good* time.

* After the ride. During, the word "good" should be synonymous with "suffering" in the rider's mind.
  • I made the TV coverage!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... on_Part_1/

At 4.54 when Rob Hayles is being interviewed it cuts a couple of times to a group of riders. I'm the one out of the saddle, far right by the barriers, dressed head to toe in black looking like a bad Rapha advert :lol:
  • GiantMike wrote:
    If you enjoyed the ride please consider signing this e-petition requesting Surrey County Council continues to support this event in future years.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/s ... -each-year

Signed.
  • I finished in 5:57 which I was reasonably pleased with until I saw some of the other times posted on this forum!

For some reason I was put in the very last wave at 0758 which ultimately slowed me down. I put down the same time as my brother and he started 40 minutes ahead of me, so clearly the predicted times bore no relevance to the start system.

As a result the climbs were vey congested by the time I got to them and I was amazed to see people walking within 100 yards of starting the first climb of the day. I'm an OK climber but it was impossible to to maintain any sort of rhythm, especially on Leith Hill, and I found myself having to crawl behind people and then accelerate through any gaps I found. I was hoping to enjoy some of the 'peloton effect' but I found very few organised groups and even then it was only 3 or 4 riders. In the end it was so busy that these groups got broken up in traffic and it was impossible to reform them. I reckon I soloed for at least 90 miles.

Like many others I went self-sufficient for food but stopped for water at Holmbury St Mary (very quiet and efficient) and Box Hill. The latter was a nightmare due to there being no pressure from the water system and I could only fill one bottle a third full before giving up. I wasted about 15 minutes there then had to stop at Sandown Park (again very quiet and efficient) to properly top up with water.

I echo the other points raised about the discarded gel wrappers, especially around Wimbledon. Not only is it disgracefully lazy, it's dangerous. Rider behaviour in general though was very good apart from the occasional self-appointed, big-time Charlie whizzing through at dangerous speeds. I saw the aftermath of an accident on the descent of Leith Hill, I hope the poor guy is OK.

Overall I thought it was a brilliant day and I'm definitely going to enter the ballot for next year. Massive thanks to the organisers and volunteers who make events like this possible.
  • Rich_E wrote:
    This was my first century sportive and my wave was one of the last with a 7.46am start. It sounds like most of you guys who posted quick times started much earlier. I also found that the majority of people I saw in and around my starting wave letter seemed to be representing a charity. etc..

Glad you got there and home OK in the end. Loads of charities in my wave too which was K. I think the ratio was 2/3 charities and business relays.

Time - desperately wanted to break 6 hours and ripped 5.03. So happy, but more so that I raised £1,600 for a charity which is close to my heart for reasons which are beyond the scope of a web forum. Wife and I both in tears when I finished though, let's leave it at that!

My only problem was IT based. I run MapMyRide on iPhone through ANT+ Wahoo case and added MVP live tracker so family supporting knew where I was. Since the last update, I have not had a single problem with it, but for some reason on Sunday it kept crashing out. Whether this is because there's not much space left, I'm not sure, but in the end I had to pull over exiting Cobham and text everyone. I now know that if an iPhone vibrates when you're texting, it thinks you want to scrub the whole message and start again ("SHAKE" function).

Factor that in with a bit of a queue at Newlands hub picking up stuff which I wouldn't have had to queue for at (Abinger?) water stop and I would have broken 5.... Mustn't look back though !

The red button thing cannot be watched from archive. But I can now download a personal video for 14 quid from Marathon photo which includes 2 mins of footage, including 9 fly-by's from different camera points. THis probably explains why the event is "only" 50 quid from successful ballot application.

BTW - I was reluctant to post this before the event in case it didn't work, but when bikes are banned on the trains, ask yourself "when is a bike, not a bike". The answer is ----> "when it's dismantled and placed in a roller wheeled bike bag". My bike went home on the tube and train, with no questions asked. TNT can deliver bike bags to the finish line (filled with tools, bubble wrap, cable ties, towel, wash kit, a change of clothes and a bottle of champagne with 2 x plastic cups) in cardboard bike boxes, or you can order a new one in advance on a click and collect service from branches of Cycle Surgery or Evans in Holborn. Or, if your'e as lucky as I am, your Dad can come to the finish line with it. Good old Dad ;-)
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    Shackster wrote:
    I was very happy with my overall time (5.42) but staggered beyond belief by my time for the last 9 miles - just over 21 minutes, which smashes anything I've ever done - 25.6 mph!! Where the F did that come from?? And why can't I usually ride at that pace? :roll:

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the 91 mile time was no way actually at 91 miles. if it was I did the last 9 miles at 28mph. There is no way I did that.
  • paulm74
    paulm74 Posts: 147
    Mr Will wrote:
    4hrs 31 mins 52 sec! Thanks to Dorking CC who invited me in for the day. Monster peloton. Men of diesel. Unlike London Dynamos who never took a turn on the front. Loved the event from start to finish.

Was there another interloper in your Dorking CC group, this one wearing a Beating Bowel Cancer jersey? If so, it was me :mrgreen:

Echo the others in saying what an awesome day, couldn't have been better.

(Oh, and 4:37:30!)

Glad you could both join us! I was the DCC rider on the black and red Planet X and I remember the Bowel Cancer jersey and a Welsh top too, both of whom did a fair bit on the front, unlike many! I was about to ramp it up to 10 pace just before we swung off the Embankment but had my 3rd blow out of the day. No tubes with long enough valves left in the DCC train and the instant patch failed, so had to ride the last mile or so on a pancake flat rear tyre at about 5mph, being encouraged/patronised by the crowd who obviously thought it was me that was broken! :x

The support through Westcott and Dorking was the best bit for us though, was tempted to loop back and do it again!
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1">Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticise them, you\'ll be a mile away and they\'ll have no shoes.</font id="size1">
  • I had a whale of a time, Just wanted to finish and managed that(6 hours 16) which pleases me as I havent been on a bike for over 4 months due to knee ligament pain. Now pleased that it was a charity berth I got as I would not have taken part had I not been responsible for fundraising. High point ridding the mall at snails pace to lap up the encouragement, low point was a clippless moment on Leith Hill where I simply day dreamed for too long and fell onto the grass in slow motion!!

The crowds offering support were fantastic and it was quite humbling to realise that it was me that they were cheering (I kept looking behind expecting it to be someone esle)

Agree that better signage in the lead up to feed stops would have asssisted riders to prepare road position also the chance to grab a gel at the water stops would have helped a lot. Having said that I learned that I got my food planning totally wrong and wont get caught out again. Many thanks to the nice woman who gave me a gel as we rode through her hometown of Kingston. I was feeling a bit grey from the last hub onwards and this pulled me through.

A great weekend and I cant compliment those behind the idea enough. My kid got to take part in the freeride and loved every minute. Add in a meeting with her hero Laura Trott and the bother of packing bikes and getting from Scotland to London via public transport was well worth it.

I know times are a badge of honour in these parts but I met a woman at the start who asked-"how long will this take me?...Ive never ridden more than 2 hours" I caught up with her again as I left the park and saw she was wearing her medal and the largest smile I have ever seen. This is the balance between chasing a fast time and opening up the event to all. By and large I think the organisers got it right.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    wrote this report on my club site

Fantastic ride. Was hoping to beat 5 hours as a goal.

alarm went off at 04:00 and cycled from West Norwood to the Olympic park around 04:45, weaving to avoid the considerable Saturday night life that was around. Arrived with 25 minutes to spare which was all used to queue for the toilets, not knowing of course that there were plenty in the starting pens.

Got going at 06:31, was riding through the neutral section looking for riders who looked like they wanted to race. When the start came into view, upped the speed and sped off seeing who would follow. Turned out no one did so I kept on at 24/25 mph until around tower gateway someone came past me so I latched on to his wheel and we then carried on swapping turns all the way to the A4 hammersmith flyover where we went past another group that then bizarrely (given we'd clearly caught them up) seemed to be full of really strong riders who took up the challenge. From that point on it was full blast and I could rest in the wheels a bit as my legs were already feeling really sore from the first effort.

This group kept together all they way out until the first hill at Newlands corner. Loads of support out already in the towns we went through. At this point average speed was 24mph. Predictably things split up on the hill but soon got back together at the top, then the right turn off the a25 to head south. I found myself off the front with 2 other guys from the group. One in particular from chippenham wheelers was super strong and I shamefully couldn't take a turn as he was too strong for me and it was all I could do to hold the wheel.

Then onto Leith Hill, first time I have climbed it from that side and I have to say it goes on a bit with some really hard ramps. We were halfway through the ride and I felt absolutely shattered and the beginnings of cramp appearing. Still I felt strong on the hill and swiftly moved ahead of the other 2 riders only for them both to shoot down the descent at a speed I certainly wasn't going to follow.

Onto more rolling roads, at this point I was getting awful cramps in my thighs but they weren't stopping me pedalling. Was feeling shattered and very low so swapped to my high5 caffeine energy drink aka mental powder to Paul Nixon.

Had a fast run in through Dorking and got a massive cheer from the enthusiastic locals, some lovely road at this point and easily doing 30mph on the slight downhill run in to boxhill.

Caught up with chippenham guy again on boxhill and was still feeling pretty good on the climbs. Once over the top the long drag that carries in really started to hurt, the cramps came back with a vengeance and he swiftly moved ahead.

On the rolling/downhill run towards Leatherhead the legs started to get going again probably courtesy of my energy drink but even more cheering was the re-emergence of most of the strong group I had rode out of London with who caught me up.

Then we formed a good working group with 5 or 6 of us at the front regularly swapping turns. I was feeling very tired but my legs were responding and the cramps fading a bit so I was happy to do some long turns.

This was definitely one of my favourite parts of the ride, leading the group at over 30 on a slight downhill through a town centre with locals cheering you on made me feel like a pro. Chippenham guy decided the pace wasn't fast enough and jumped away on his own and we didn't see him again.

The group kept together all the way into Wimbledon, I was beginning to really suffer but decided to push as hard as I could up Wimbledon hill and found my self alone with a Dulwich rider at the top so we pushed on swapping turns and caught up with another rider who joined in the efforts. This kept on all the way through Putney and down onto the embankment, every time I did a turn it felt like I was just going to pop. Then with about 2/3 k to go the group caught us up again and really picked up the speed, a very tight corner onto the mall and a bunch sprint which I wasn't going to contest.

Crossed the line absolutely exhausted in 4hr 20 with a 23mph average. Would never have dreamt I could have managed that but with a very flat course with only a few lumps in the middle and lots of committed riders to share work with it was distinctly possible. Then a soft pedal home to South London and I was back by 11:30 from a 100 mile sportive which has never happened before!

Was feeling very proud of my time and then I saw what Paul, Barry, Andy and Craig managed at the front. Incredible effort from those guys

Still brilliant day out, think this beats every other uk sportive hands down. My only gripe with the organisation was having to go the excel centre to pick up the numbers, could have done without that.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    paulm74 wrote:
    Mr Will wrote:
    4hrs 31 mins 52 sec! Thanks to Dorking CC who invited me in for the day. Monster peloton. Men of diesel. Unlike London Dynamos who never took a turn on the front. Loved the event from start to finish.

Was there another interloper in your Dorking CC group, this one wearing a Beating Bowel Cancer jersey? If so, it was me :mrgreen:

Echo the others in saying what an awesome day, couldn't have been better.

(Oh, and 4:37:30!)

Glad you could both join us! I was the DCC rider on the black and red Planet X and I remember the Bowel Cancer jersey and a Welsh top too, both of whom did a fair bit on the front, unlike many! I was about to ramp it up to 10 pace just before we swung off the Embankment but had my 3rd blow out of the day. No tubes with long enough valves left in the DCC train and the instant patch failed, so had to ride the last mile or so on a pancake flat rear tyre at about 5mph, being encouraged/patronised by the crowd who obviously thought it was me that was broken! :x

The support through Westcott and Dorking was the best bit for us though, was tempted to loop back and do it again!

Pleasure to meet you and thanks very much for letting me tag along. Really sorry to hear about your troubles at the end.

Lovely little chain you guys had going though. One of my enduring memories of the day will be sweeping through the little town centres in line-astern, flying past most of the other riders to the huge cheers of the supporting crowds. I feel like we gave them a bit of a show! :-)

Btw, I have some decent pictures of the guy on the red and white Pinarello on the sprint up The Mall. If he'd like a copy then I'd be more than happy to send them over.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • binkybike wrote:
    Shackster wrote:

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the 91 mile time was no way actually at 91 miles. if it was I did the last 9 miles at 28mph. There is no way I did that.

I;d agree with that, my average for 82-91 was 17.7 then 91 - finish 27mph. I was giving it the beans, but no way I could do that average for 9 miles

Reckon the 91 mat was in fact more like 92, which changes my values to 19.7 and 24, much more likely.

Overall 5:21:02, like virtually everyone else I destroyed my target time (6:10 - 6:19).

I was lucky to get a 6:32 start, so the route wasn't too congested, passed by a few trains on the way through London who seemed to think it was a sprint, not a marathon, but I rode on my own at pace I was happy with, despite being overtaken by everyone & their dog. By Richmond I seemed to be at the pace of those around me (ie less overtaking) and by Leith I was definitely overtaking more than being overtaken.

Congestion on the Hills I would say was minimal, Leith was busy, but not jammed, you could ride up, Box and Newlands were fine

Lots and lots of praise to the organisers, I think they've set the bar for Sportives pretty high with this one
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    binkybike wrote:
    Shackster wrote:

I;d agree with that, my average for 82-91 was 17.7 then 91 - finish 27mph. I was giving it the beans, but no way I could do that average for 9 miles

Reckon the 91 mat was in fact more like 90, which changes my values to 19.7 and 24, much more likely.

Bugger. :(

If it was at 90 that would make me even faster for the last bit surely? If it was at 92 then my last 8 miles would be at 22.7mph, which is more reasonable for me I guess!! And it also ups the previous split average to 18.4 from 16.6, which also makes more sense.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    Shackster wrote:
    binkybike wrote:
    Shackster wrote:

Reckon the 91 mat was in fact more like 90, which changes my values to 19.7 and 24, much more likely.

Bugger. :(

If it was at 90 that would make me even faster for the last bit surely? If it was at 92 then my last 8 miles would be at 22.7mph, which is more reasonable for me I guess!! And it also ups the previous split average to 18.4 from 16.6, which also makes more sense.

Whenever I looked at my speed on the flat after Putney Bridge (not that often to be honest, but I felt like I was doing a consistent pace) I was at 21-23mph, which would suggest the 91 mile marker was after 92 miles. but I guess that would include the very fast downhill into Putney and a lovely tailwind before that. So 92 miles is probably about right.

Still pretty speedy though.
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    TakeTurns wrote:
    doug5_10 wrote:
    Anyone see any salabritees or Boris? Was he actually trying to complete the course in shorts, tshirt, bumbly bike and bmx helmet or just posing for the start?

Precisely, he was at the start of my wave. Looked like he went for a balls out sprint at the sound of the horn!! I hope operation chisel-whip succeeds!!

Had an awesome time. Had one flat whilst towing my lot, then got left for dust! My only criticism is that the drink stands in the second half were poorly located and they lacked real food. Missed crucial stops and bonked @ mile 70~, legs never came back round after that. Was set for a sub 4hour - result was 4:26.

This is certainly the only sportive I can't wait to do again next year!

Ha ha - award for the biggest crock of s### goes to....! You were in my wave (black wave D) which was the one Boris joined and you were definitely NOT on for a sub 4 hour ride (would have made you the winner - the winner got 4:03) as I was with you until Leith Hill where you must have just grabbed the group in front at the top. I passed you after your puncture and you just had your wheel in hand. I ended up with a 4:24 so you would have been just under that as I caught a fast peloton back into town. Just thought I'd point it out! :wink:

But agreed, will be entering the ballot and praying to get back into it next year for more of the same. Amazing scenes. The descent into Putney was superb as was riding through London as dawn broke on empty roads.

Agree with the comments about the portable urinals. Other than that, a couple of the islands heading out of town maybe could have been better marked and it would be helpful if there were instructions on the website of how to get there from different parts of London but generally there was very little to quibble about. Loved it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wish I had known that the bumps in the road were sensors to pick up your timing chip for the video'd sections.
    I would have sprinted between them all if I had :P

I took a large foil 'Capri Sun' in my jersey pocket so that I had an extra drink and could stop less.
    They took a photo of me cycling along holding it which looks very funny. It is kind of like I am cycling along holding an ice cream cone with a flake in :lol:

I thought there was going to be some kind of pit lane watering station? Must have missed those if there were any.
  • mtivnen
    mtivnen Posts: 8
    Carbonator wrote:
    I wish I had known that the bumps in the road were sensors to pick up your timing chip for the video'd sections.
    I would have sprinted between them all if I had :P

Where people's time profiles show gaps does that mean they necessarily took one of the short cuts/diversions or was it possible for the sensor not to register the chip?
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Carbonator wrote:
    I took a large foil 'Capri Sun' in my jersey pocket so that I had an extra drink and could stop less.
    They took a photo of me cycling along holding it which looks very funny. It is kind of like I am cycling along holding an ice cream cone with a flake in :lol:

I had something similar to that happen!
    As I got to the top of Wimbledon Hill, I got my water bottle out, then as you approach those two winding bends around the highstreet, I gripped the spout with my teeth so I could steer around the corners. Didn't expect the Photographer to be sat there, so now have a shot of me with a water bottle hanging from my mouth! Shame as it looked like it would have been one of the better shots otherwise.
    I thought there was going to be some kind of pit lane watering station? Must have missed those if there were any.

I believe that is what the tables were supposed to be, but it wasn't really as quick as it sounded like it would be. Obviously to begin with, everyone is stopping near the first tables rather than spreading along. At the water stations, rather than hubs, this didn't work so well, especially the one after Box Hill.

I have no idea about the diversion and timing gaps though.
    Did anyone meet anyone who got scooped up the broom wagon?
    When I was in Green Park afterwards, I overhead a guy who had his whole extended family waiting for him at the finish as his tyre had blown out leaving him stranded in Surrey. It sounded like he had done a number of sportives before, so I was kind of surprised that he said he had no money on him, or his phone or anything to try and patch a blowout, so he was lucky that the support staff picked him up.
  • Anonymous
    I had three tubes and Co2 in case of tacks on the road.
    Think I may have a similar plan next year although will be dumping them (at hubs/stops) as I get near to the finish.
    Also taking a tiny phone and generally being better prepared. I was too weighed down.

Downhills will be much faster/better used and riding slicker/more methodical.
  • Anonymous
    All the riders I saw seemed pretty proficient and up to the task.
    Did anyone see any 'muppets' that clearly were not going to make it 100 miles in 9 hours?

Any bikes that looked like they had been in a shed since the last century or so new and unridden that they still had the price tag on?
    Did anyone actually try to do it on a knobbly tyre'd £150 full suss car accessory shop bike?

Not wanting to have a go, just curious. I hope anyone who failed miserably licks their wounds and makes a better effort next year :wink:
  • nick300zx
    nick300zx Posts: 219
    Carbonator wrote:
    All the riders I saw seemed pretty proficient and up to the task.
    Did anyone see any 'muppets' that clearly were not going to make it 100 miles in 9 hours?

Any bikes that looked like they had been in a shed since the last century or so new and unridden that they still had the price tag on?
    Did anyone actually try to do it on a knobbly tyre'd £150 full suss car accessory shop bike?

Not wanting to have a go, just curious. I hope anyone who failed miserably licks their wounds and makes a better effort next year :wink:

I started in wave M. Finished in 5:44, slowish for here but way ahead of my estimate so very happy. Didn't plan on going that quick, must have been the rush of it all. Even stopped at two of the hubs, queuing for ages for a pee at Newlands & a quicker one to fill up in Leatherhead, before an unscheduled stop in Kingston for a few minutes to chat with the Mrs.

I was quite surprised at the number of people walking up the hills considering everyone ahead of me was meant to be faster! By Leith Hill, which I ground up slowly, I'd gone by quite a few B's and also some A's, so I'm guessing that there were some very optimistic estimated finishing times quoted. However saw none of the expected bottlenecking so maybe not that bad.

Chapeaux to the chaps on the BMX & Fixie :mrgreen:

Thoroughly enjoyed the day & considering it was the first one thought it was extremely well organised & certainly memorable.
  • Finished with an official time of 6 hrs 31 mins and 51 secs, I had a moving time of 6 hrs 10 mins. Loved every second of it.

Aimed for sub 8 hours so well and truly happy with it.

+ Points

+Empty Roads
    +Traffic Lights could go beep themselves
    +Charity groups were fantastic
    +Spectators came out in force later in day, and in busier sections
    +Route easy to follow
    +Plenty of hazard signs when needed
    +Plenty of hubs and feeding stations in reasonable locations
    +Beautiful route
    -Felt like a Pro, equivalent to an amateur footballer kicking a ball around Wembley's pitch!
    +Great medal (made by same company who made Le Tour medals btw!)
    +The Mall!!!
    +Getting the bike back from TNT in one piece today!

-Poor support from TFL, is it that hard to put extra trains / bend the rules for cyclists for two days?
    -Hub at Newlands Corner was a big jam
    -Riders who passed VERY closely in a pack when they had both sides of the road to use!
    -Empty gel packets lining the embankment, USE YOUR POCKETS!
    -BBC coverage of RideLondon 100 was nonexistent. Plenty of coverage for Saturday and the Pro Classic, but the thousands busting a gut over a 100 miles and some for charity didnt get diddly squat. Imagine if Sky had covered it!
    -The first 15 miles felt a little like 28 days later, although I was going to put this in the + section!
    -TNT not lending any hand in dismantling bike to put in box

Overall it was an experience I will never forget, and I raised over £2,300 for Cancer Research UK (internet high five anyone?).

Amazing.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    The Etape has designated areas where you can chuck rubbish. They are marked on the race route and you're given advance notice of them. Could do with a few of those on Ride London.
  • Anonymous
    nick300zx wrote:
    I was quite surprised at the number of people walking up the hills considering everyone ahead of me was meant to be faster! By Leith Hill, which I ground up slowly, I'd gone by quite a few B's and also some A's, so I'm guessing that there were some very optimistic estimated finishing times quoted.

I bet they did not count on having their start time and estimated finish time printed on their back (denoted by letter) lol
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    Organisation on the day was very good from my experience, were the gels lying on the ground later on actually used as when I went past there were people holding them out for riders to grab, all the attempts I saw resulted in people high fiving* the gels and sending them flying down the road. Lesson to all, slow down to collect food.

Only thing that really needs improved is the transfer kit bag, given most people cycled to the start, if they could be draw string backpacks it would be better than the slightly akward style provided.

*Sorry, couldn't resist
  • I had one of my best cycling days ever. Not because it was fast but because my previously non-cycling wife has fallen in love with cycling and it's the first event we've done together.

It's a good story - she was taken out by a jaywalker in Kingston at mile 20 and trashed her front tyre. I gave her my wheel so she could continue but eventually managed to borrow a replacement wheel from an electric bike shop just off the route. Caught her up at Newlands Corner and we finished together.

Full story on her blog: http://www.zest.co.uk/zest-blog/ridelondon-100-the-big-event/6486.html

U.
  • JDinho
    JDinho Posts: 16
    VO2min wrote:
    Only thing that really needs improved is the transfer kit bag, given most people cycled to the start, if they could be draw string backpacks it would be better than the slightly akward style provided.

Why not use a normal backpack and tie that up inside the kit bag once you arrive?

Worked perfectly for me doing that. Knew my belongings were safe inside my rucksack should the kitbag fail and I put my rider number on the bag too for extra help in a worst case scenario.